PDA

View Full Version : The biggest difference between us and Ole Miss...

HoopsDawg
10-19-2013, 08:46 PM
is the threat of Moncrief and Treadwell. You have no idea how big a difference that makes when you have to respect 2 receivers like that. Ole Miss suffered a big drop off when they lost Mike Wallace. We have hadn't anything like that in years. Probably since Moulds, how sad is that?

We have a better O-line and QB than Ole Miss, but those 2 receivers + a little better speed at RB makes all the difference. Mullen can't sign them.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 08:47 PM
is the threat of Moncrief and Treadwell. You have no idea how big a difference that makes when you have to respect 2 receivers like that. Ole Miss suffered a big drop off when they lost Mike Wallace. We have hadn't anything like that in years. Probably since Moulds, how sad is that?

We have a better O-line and QB than Ole Miss, but those 2 receivers + a little better speed at RB makes all the difference. Mullen can't sign them.

And effort. Ole miss plays with max effort every time they take the field. We did that in Mullen's first few years....but it's long gone from our team.

FFF
10-19-2013, 08:49 PM

You are missing the fact that they play their asses off and we don't. We have absolutely sucked in the second half.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
And effort. Ole miss plays with max effort every time they take the field. We did that in Mullen's first few years....but it's long gone from our team.

I agree with this, but I'm not sure how sustainable this is over the course of 3-5 years. Freeze would have to be the greatest coach ever for them to maintain this level of intensity for the long-haul

bocfarm
10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
We're officially cellar dwellers with ark and ky in the conference. Meaning non of us can upset another team.

If they win this game which I now fully expect them to, we're ****ed in football.

Coach34
10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
is the threat of Moncrief and Treadwell.

Now this is a correct statement

Coach34
10-19-2013, 08:57 PM
We're officially cellar dwellers with ark and ky in the conference. Meaning non of us can upset another team.

If they win this game which I now fully expect them to, we're ****ed in football.

Jesus

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Now this is a correct statement

Whose fault is it we don't have a WR threat? Just curious.

FlabLoser
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM

I'm going with that.

cheewgumm
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I don't know about "statistically", but LSU doesn't have 60. I can see that.

I'm going with that.

dawgoneyall
10-19-2013, 09:06 PM
coaching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Coach34
10-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Whose fault is it we don't have a WR threat? Just curious.

Our coaching staff and FOP's

HoopsDawg
10-19-2013, 09:07 PM

They don't play with better effort than us. Have you seen how intense Dak is out there. It may seem like they do b/c they go no huddle up tempo and we try and win the time of possession.

FFF
10-19-2013, 09:09 PM
They don't play with better effort than us.

Um.... yes they do.

We may have Dak that plays hard but the other 21 guys that play on both sides of the ball don't (and the coaches). OM has absolutely played their asses off the whole gameand we may have for 2 quarters.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 09:10 PM
They don't play with better effort than us. Have you seen how intense Dak is out there. It may seem like they do b/c they go no huddle up tempo and we try and win the time of possession.

Please tell me u are kidding.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Um.... yes they do.

We may have Dak that plays hard but the other 21 guys that play on both sides of the ball don't (and the coaches). OM has absolutely played their asses off the whole gameand we may have for 2 quarters.

This^. And it's not even debateable

MarketingBully01
10-19-2013, 09:30 PM
It's coaching that is the big difference in the secondary and a better scheme against LSU. When they played off their receivers same result as what we had. We have more talent in the secondary I am just not sure we have a great d coordinator. I don't know what we can do about that but pay our assistants better and pay a great DC to come in here and play aggressive. I think that is the biggest difference. We need to pay big bucks for a bad ass DC

PendingTransaction
10-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Freeze is doing a hellava job on and off the field.

Homedawg
10-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Freeze is doing a hellava job on and off the field.

His on field at this point is greater than off- and that's scary.

BulldogBear
10-19-2013, 09:44 PM
The difference is field goal kicker people, nothing more. There's nothing they can do that we can't if we would go for the kill.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 09:48 PM
The difference is field goal kicker people, nothing more. There's nothing they can do that we can't if we would go for the kill.

Ha, pass me some of what you're having

BulldogBear
10-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Ha, pass me some of what you're having

Purple Crystal Light on ice! hmmmm....red and blue make purple. What did I do wrong?

BulldogBear
10-19-2013, 09:55 PM
When we win the Egg Bowl, who's gonna give a flying squirrel that they won the "Magnolia Bowl?"

Boya
10-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Coordinators...that's where we are lacking

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 09:56 PM
When we win the Egg Bowl, who's gonna give a flying squrrel that they won the "Magnolia Bowl?"

The recruits that commit to them because they are knocking off top 10 teams. Do you really think a loss to us outweighs a win over a top 10 LSU?

State82
10-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Yep. The UM staff made ours look like cotton candy vendors at DWS tonight. Compare their staff salaries to ours and see what you come up with. Bang for the buck ain't what we get.

BulldogBear
10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
If they are top 10 by the end of the year. I really expected to beat LSU in Starkville and have not been a believer since before the season started. I think LSU is only slightly ahead of the 3-12 "any given saturday pack." I'm just not convinced that LSU won't lose to Bama plus another along the way. That just puts them with the rest of the 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 crowd that will make up 2nd thru 5th in each SEC division. We just fell apart after the missed FG and because we didn't make some key plays earlier. I HATE that we lost and I'm not really trying to put posiitve spin on the LSU game Cadaver, I'm just saying that I believe LSU is not that great. We just made them look good "artificially" because we face planted in the 4th quarter and they got a bunch of garbage points at the end.

Homedawg
10-19-2013, 11:16 PM

We have one coordinator that is getting paid. He makes 2.6+

State82
10-19-2013, 11:23 PM
We have one coordinator that is getting paid. He makes 2.6+

+1

Irondawg
10-19-2013, 11:30 PM
I hate to rain on everyone's parade but the big difference in the LSU games was simply Mett. He throws 3 picks against us in the first half and we're talking a different ballgame. We got 1. Plus he was shaky some other times as well and he was locked in against us. Happens sometimes.

Now some of it was OM as well as they got some defensive stops. I know at least twice they saved huge runs by the last guy making the shoestring tackle. The same tackle we missed a few times. And credit Wallace on the last drive. He made plays when he had too. But while I'm pissed as hell watching them do what we couldn't this year and haven't been able to do much of Mullen's tenure I don't see as big a gap between the teams as you guys are making it sound.

That said, I'm squarely on the fence with Mullen as it a lot of the fanbase. He's got half a season to show us why he can get it done.

MarketingBully01
10-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Great post Irondawg. Agree 100%. I noticed Hill was not going down on those type of attempts at tackles against us either. The first time I noticed all year him go down by shoe string tackles. Usually a big back like that requires more then that which goes into my theory of LSU just didn't play like they cared for 2.5 quarters until they were down 17-0. By that time, it was too late. Some times teams play like crap and others capitalize. Texas is another example of a team they played that was reeling and disheveled. Sometimes you get lucky.

EnterpriseDawg
10-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Not calling anyone out in particular, but I'm tired of hearing that the only reason OM won was because of poor play by LSU. It doesn't matter what the reason was, because at the end of the day its a win and one we haven't achieved in 14 years. Four of the coaches junior to Mullen did something today that Mullen doesn't have a clue how to do and that's getting a signature win.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Not calling anyone out in particular, but I'm tired of hearing that the only reason OM won was because of poor play by LSU. It doesn't matter what the reason was, because at the end of the day its a win and one we haven't achieved in 14 years. Four of the coaches junior to Mullen did something today that Mullen doesn't have a clue how to do and that's getting a signature win.

Bingo

Irondawg
10-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Oh I agree, all the close calls don't matter because at the end of the day it's still a loss. OM is such a star-crossed team this year. They've gotten an abnormal amount of huge breaks in games (Vandy giving up the long run late, Texas being a mess at time of game, LSU throwing 3 picks in the first half) but have also shot themselves in the foot a few times and tried to do so tonight even. They and their whole base seem to have that irrational confidence that our fanbase lacks entirely. Let's be honest. Most of their fanbase probably thought they were going to win when they got the ball back at the 14 with 3 min left.

Roles reversed you'd be hard pressed to find 10 State fans that think we'd pull a game out in that situation.

EnterpriseDawg
10-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Oh I agree, all the close calls don't matter because at the end of the day it's still a loss. OM is such a star-crossed team this year. They've gotten an abnormal amount of huge breaks in games (Vandy giving up the long run late, Texas being a mess at time of game, LSU throwing 3 picks in the first half) but have also shot themselves in the foot a few times and tried to do so tonight even. They and their whole base seem to have that irrational confidence that our fanbase lacks entirely. Let's be honest. Most of their fanbase probably thought they were going to win when they got the ball back at the 14 with 3 min left.

Roles reversed you'd be hard pressed to find 10 State fans that think we'd pull a game out in that situation.

Haven't seen many games against ranked that would give me that confidence.

Bothrops
10-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Lewis is our threat at wr. You have to appreciate a guy that was rated as a 2 star and has developed into a playmaker in the SEC. Vic Ballard comes to mind..