PDA

View Full Version : Charles Cross - #8 5*

Big4Dawg
01-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Charles Cross is now the 8th overall player according to 247. Wow. Impressive jump. Was just #207 on 11/15/2018.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 12:36 PM
Well deserved. Went out & warned it on the field.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Fine young man and well deserved ! He's repping Jones County well!

Dawgology
01-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Nice. Congrats to Cross and good job to the staff for hanging on to him. Well done by all.

TrapGame
01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Nice. We need more of this.

Rayburn8
01-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Say what you will about this class, but it is hard to complain when you get your QB of the future and an absolute stud LT ton protect him.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Joe and staff flipped Cross from Florida State. We don't flip 5 star players from blue bloods very often, so amongst all the recruiting melt lately let's look at the talent we are getting in this class. Recruiting can be frustrating at times because you're dealing with teenagers and their "handlers" but this staff has worked tirelessly and for Joe's first full class he's bringing in some fine talent. May still be some rabbits coming out of the hat in a couple weeks too.

BeardoMSU
01-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Say what you will about this class, but it is hard to complain when you get your QB of the future and an absolute stud LT ton protect him.

Not to mention a potentially all-time great D-line class....but yeah....life sucks.

MarketingBully
01-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Not to mention a potentially all-time great D-line class....but yeah....life sucks.

If we can get Young to replace Moore, we will be just fine.

Todd4State
01-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Any threads about some random three star cornerback decommitting?**

msbulldog
01-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Joe and staff flipped Cross from Florida State. We don't flip 5 star players from blue bloods very often, so amongst all the recruiting melt lately let's look at the talent we are getting in this class. Recruiting can be frustrating at times because you're dealing with teenagers and their "handlers" but this staff has worked tirelessly and for Joe's first full class he's bringing in some fine talent. May still be some rabbits coming out of the hat in a couple weeks too.

Give a whole lot of credit to Coach Marcus Johnson!

1bigdawg
01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
If we can get Young to replace Moore, we will be just fine.

That would be great, but rather have both.

MetEdDawg
01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Biggest recruiting victory in MSU history. All Joe Moorhead people.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Give a whole lot of credit to Coach Marcus Johnson!

Yep, Marcus has been doing a great job on the recruiting trail. 6 commits in this class so far are his.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Biggest recruiting victory in MSU history. All Joe Moorhead people.

https://i.postimg.cc/wjNCTfM9/9901-D283-7378-43-AC-94-A0-38-DEB19-CF848.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k2n1TyWH)

I'd put pegues and Simmons up there too.

Outstanding get though. Huge jump and well deserved for cross. Good job staff

BB30
01-22-2019, 01:46 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/wjNCTfM9/9901-D283-7378-43-AC-94-A0-38-DEB19-CF848.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k2n1TyWH)

This was definitely a bigger "recruiting victory" than Jones or Pegues simply due to the position and what we have historically done at that position. Much easier to recruit a stud DL than it is LT to state.

confucius say
01-22-2019, 01:50 PM
And the fact that we flipped him from FSU. Don't think jones, Simmons, or pegues were flipped

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 01:52 PM

You can argue who's the biggest but it's likely the most impressive.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 01:53 PM
This was definitely a bigger "recruiting victory" than Jones or Pegues simply due to the position and what we have historically done at that position. Much easier to recruit a stud DL than it is LT to state.

Context... do you remember the Chris Jones' recruitment? It was a national story. We were really close to seeing om having Chris Jones and Kim lining up in the middle of their defense. They were already #1 scoring defense in the country in 2014.
Chris Jones was absolutely huge.

Cross is a great get, easily top 5 all time, but Chris Jones is #1.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Charles Cross is now the 8th overall player according to 247. Wow. Impressive jump. Was just #207 on 11/15/2018.

I am interested to see how someone can make negative out of this.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 01:56 PM
We were really close to seeing om having Chris Jones and Kim lining up in the middle of their defense.

According to Chris's Mom we weren't close at all.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Then forget Chris for making all us state fans think that haha

That recruitment was the most tense one I ever remember.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Again though, absolutely huge get. As Rayburn said earlier, big win to get your QB and LT in a class. 2 of the most important positions on the field. Great job, joe

MetEdDawg
01-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Flipped him from Florida State. Biggest recruiting victory ever bar none.

Pit Bull
01-22-2019, 02:17 PM
How does a player gain or lose a star when no highschool football is being played and all the film there is to see has been watched over and over and over again? Does somebody just change their mind? Is a psych interview done with the player and he shows superior football knowledge than the average player? Just curious as to how this process works when there is absolutely no chance to impress or depress an evaluator with your play on the field or on film.

Dawgology
01-22-2019, 02:20 PM
How does a player gain or lose a star when no highschool football is being played and all the film there is to see has been watched over and over and over again? Does somebody just change their mind? Is a psych interview done with the player and he shows superior football knowledge than the average player? Just curious as to how this process works when there is absolutely no chance to impress or depress an evaluator with your play on the field or on film.

There have been multiple "showcase" games played since the time you are talking about. This is where elite talent went up against elite talent and he absolutely showed out in those games. That is what this realignment is based upon.

MetEdDawg
01-22-2019, 02:21 PM

His performance during his all star stuff. Guys don't always get to go against other top talent during the school season but they do get to go up against top talent guys during all American games. He did that and he dominated. Thus the bump

msstate7
01-22-2019, 02:29 PM
You can argue who's the biggest but it's likely the most impressive.

I thought croom getting pegues may have been the most impressive get we've ever had. OM just doesn't lose south Panola kids that highly rated often at all.

Ari Gold
01-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Then forget Chris for making all us state fans think that haha

That recruitment was the most tense one I ever remember.

It’s probably because you had no insight as to what all went on and as just listening to Yancy..
Mom and Garadmother wasn’t letting him enroll at OM.

Offshore Dawg
01-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Give it a minute !!

Dawg61
01-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Context... do you remember the Chris Jones' recruitment? It was a national story. We were really close to seeing om having Chris Jones and Kim lining up in the middle of their defense. They were already #1 scoring defense in the country in 2014.

Holding onto Dak over LSU is #1 all-time. Prescott forever changed the face of our program. He wasn't rated that highly but his effect on our program was priceless and continues to be while he's leading the Cowboys. Chris Jones is a fantastic player but if you asked 99% of the football fans in this country who he is and what school he played for they wouldn't be able to answer either question correctly.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Holding onto Dak over LSU is #1 all-time. Prescott forever changed the face of our program. He wasn't rated that highly but his effect on our program was priceless and continues to be while he's leading the Cowboys. Chris Jones is a fantastic player but if you asked 99% of the football fans in this country who he is and what school he played for they wouldn't be able to answer either question correctly.
After the fact, yeah, it's dak. I thought we were taking in the moment with no regard to how careers play out

Howboutdemdogs
01-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Good for Mr. Cross!

msbulldog
01-22-2019, 08:36 PM

You are absolutely correct! Dak is on TV commercials constantly, we can't buy that kind of pub! Rep given!

Homedawg
01-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Well we had numerous coaches scared to death at 2 a.m. thinking he was going the other way.

msstate7
01-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Delete

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 09:08 PM
Well we had numerous coaches scared to death at 2 a.m. thinking he was going the other way.

Just telling you what Mom said

http://www.djournal.com/chickasaw/sports/signing-day-jones-and-shumpert-pick-mississippi-state/article_30af23e8-c36f-5fc6-9eff-0f94419e9c03.html

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2019, 09:17 PM

Couldn't get to #7? **

Homedawg
01-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Just telling you what Mom said

http://www.djournal.com/chickasaw/sports/signing-day-jones-and-shumpert-pick-mississippi-state/article_30af23e8-c36f-5fc6-9eff-0f94419e9c03.html

And I'm not doubting what she said. However, I also am telling you what I know, we had coaches who thought he was gone at 2a.m. That's not conjecture. By 4 it was better, then still nervous until he signed.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2019, 10:01 PM
And I'm not doubting what she said. However, I also am telling you what I know, we had coaches who thought he was gone at 2a.m. That's not conjecture. By 4 it was better, then still nervous until he signed.

I'm not doubting you & im sure Chris was saying a lot but Chris Mom told Mullen that weekend at the lunch at the church before signing day don't worry he's signing with MSU.

Ari Gold
01-22-2019, 10:52 PM
***** has only been defeated one time that I know of. Chris jones is 1-0 against *****

I seen it dawg
01-23-2019, 08:10 AM

No he was not. Jones and Cross not in same solar system. Jones was coming to State. Cross was going to FSU and we took him from them. That hasn't happened around here. Mullen and the country club would have NEVER even sniffed the guy, not even attempted. So no Jones and Cross are not the same.

I seen it dawg
01-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Yeah well that doesn't surprise me.

I seen it dawg
01-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Dak was always coming to State. As far as just recruiting battle without career playing out this is absolutely huge. For us historic bc the last 10 years at least we've never done it. Taking a 5* (even 4 which he was) from someone else. Now he has to become a 5* player to even compare to Dak obviously.

I seen it dawg
01-23-2019, 08:17 AM

Hard working grinders would have been ok

BeardoMSU
01-23-2019, 09:05 AM
***** has only been defeated one time that I know of. Chris jones is 1-0 against *****

The new Chuck Norris joke, lol.

Jack Lambert
01-23-2019, 10:55 AM
When was the last time the State of Miss had two five stars in the same recruiting cycle?

Commercecomet24
01-23-2019, 10:59 AM
When was the last time the State of Miss had two five stars in the same recruiting cycle?

There's actually 3 now, Jack. Cross, Ealy and Nakobe Dean. Pretty crazy.

smootness
01-23-2019, 12:41 PM
No he was not. Jones and Cross not in same solar system. Jones was coming to State. Cross was going to FSU and we took him from them. That hasn't happened around here. Mullen and the country club would have NEVER even sniffed the guy, not even attempted. So no Jones and Cross are not the same.

They're different kinds of wins. Jones and Dak are similar in that the big win for the staff was identifying them early on. If we wait until they start getting more attention, we maybe don't land either one. Cross is a different kind of win, getting someone everyone knew was good from a big-time program.

In both cases, we potentially stole them from bigger programs, we just went about them in different ways.

sandwolf
01-23-2019, 12:46 PM

No doubt, if you're factoring in their career after signing day, then it's Dak and there isn't a close second. But like 7, I was thinking more at the time of signing with no regard to how their careers played out.

Jack Lambert
01-23-2019, 02:57 PM
There's actually 3 now, Jack. Cross, Ealy and Nakobe Dean. Pretty crazy.

I forgot about Dean. I guess because he signed with GA.

RougeDawg
01-23-2019, 04:34 PM
And the fact that we flipped him from FSU. Don't think jones, Simmons, or pegues were flipped

What you and most people on here do not know about the Chris Jones saga will change your mind on this one. I?m glad CJ was a Dawg, but some of the things involved I disapprove of. One day in the future I may spill the beans. But it?ll be after CJ is done in the NFL.

TrapGame
01-23-2019, 04:56 PM

ISID, was it you that told the story of T Buck coming in completely appalled at the lack of enthusiasm for recruiting 4* and 5* guys? So he goes to Florida and flips a 4* OL from FSU that Mullen said he was wasting his time on.

Ari Gold
01-23-2019, 07:17 PM
ISID, was it you that told the story of T Buck coming in completely appalled at the lack of enthusiasm for recruiting 4* and 5* guys? So he goes to Florida and flips a 4* OL from FSU that Mullen said he was wasting his time on.

Not ISID but correct.
Stewart Reese was the player don’t think he was commited to anyone
And not sure if Mullen said wasting your time. But it was said if you think you can get him go ahead and good luck. And supposedly Gonzo thought it was funny.

I seen it dawg
01-23-2019, 09:41 PM
They're different kinds of wins. Jones and Dak are similar in that the big win for the staff was identifying them early on. If we wait until they start getting more attention, we maybe don't land either one. Cross is a different kind of win, getting someone everyone knew was good from a big-time program.

In both cases, we potentially stole them from bigger programs, we just went about them in different ways.

Right...thought that's what I said. Maybe i was confusing some...

Homedawg
01-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Yeah well that doesn't surprise me.

Ha. Not the ones you think. The ones that actually helped get him. The others were in bed!!

Todd4State
01-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Not ISID but correct.
Stewart Reese was the player don’t think he was commited to anyone
And not sure if Mullen said wasting your time. But it was said if you think you can get him go ahead and good luck. And supposedly Gonzo thought it was funny.

Scary to think about what our o-line would have looked like without Reese who has been actually playing out of position for two years thanks to Hevesy apparently deciding that we don't need OT's with "small" hands.