PDA

View Full Version : Can we find something to be happy about around here.

Offshore Dawg
01-21-2019, 10:19 PM
For the first time in 5 years we will have the same Defensive Coordinator back for a second year in a row. Give it a rest, some of you are not happy unless you can find the shit in something and rush to the keyboard to tell about it.

MSU, is what it is. We are not one of the big boys and will never get the same consideration, treatment or respect as the so called blue bloods. We don't have the money, or the fan base that is obsessed with winning at all cost.

LC Dawg
01-21-2019, 10:27 PM
I'm happy that our women's basketball team is ranked #7 and our men #22. Baseball also ranked #9 preseason. I get frustrated with things sometimes but looking past good things to find bad things to bitch about seems like a miserable existence.

Commercecomet24
01-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Lot of truth in this thread. Y'all both dead on with your posts! I'm happy with the direction of our athletic dept. and the success we are having

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2019, 10:40 PM
For the first time in 5 years we will have the same Defensive Coordinator back for a second year in a row. Give it a rest, some of you are not happy unless you can find the shit in something and rush to the keyboard to tell about it.

MSU, is what it is. We are not one of the big boys and will never get the same consideration, treatment or respect as the so called blue bloods. We don't have the money, or the fan base that is obsessed with winning at all cost.

Im on record giving Moorhead shit, shit that he deserved but people acting like he is going to be a trainwreck might need to slow down. It aint like we went 5-7 and lost to our arch rival by 32 points

Commercecomet24
01-21-2019, 10:47 PM
I think it's understandable to be concerned when things aren't up to snuff. That can be expressed reasonably and rationally without total
melts by some. I think we all get frustrated at times, nothing wrong with expressing that in a reasonable manner. Things are generally never as good or as bad as they seem.

Jack Lambert
01-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Most of us want to talk positive good stuff but we have those hand full who want to be negative and argue everything all the time and those few makes this board unbearable.

yjnkdawg
01-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Most of us want to talk positive good stuff but we have those hand full who want to be negative and argue everything all the time and those few makes this board unbearable.

I agree Jack. I think a few initiate those threads or make posts for argumentative purposes. Can we say trolling. It seems like it gives them maybe an ego boost or whatever.?

yjnkdawg
01-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Lot of truth in this thread. Y'all both dead on with your posts! I'm happy with the direction of our athletic dept. and the success we are having

I agree Commerce.

Jack Lambert
01-21-2019, 11:16 PM
I agree Jack. I think a few initiate those threads or make posts for argumentative purposes. Can we say trolling. It seems like it gives them maybe an ego boost or whatever.?

I don't know what is worse. Having a Ole Miss poster or these guys.

yjnkdawg
01-21-2019, 11:21 PM

My thinking is at 10:21 PM, that I would consider having an OM poster. At least it would be a change of scenery, and we shouldn't have to deal with any meltdowns.

Commercecomet24
01-21-2019, 11:21 PM

Rep given

RougeDawg
01-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Well let?s look at it this way. Would one be happier about a team with unrealistic expectations exceeding them or more aggravated with a proven team with high expectations underachieving?

We had a football team stacked to compete for the SEC West and playoff Birth. We have a basketball team chocked full of highly coveted players. Are we as fans going to sit here and realistically be complacent with what we see? It is much more aggravating to see a team with a high ceiling fall flat, than the flip side of an unexpected run of success.

This goes back to successful people. They dwell more and learn from the failures, than their successes. In my 10+ years in my in my occupation I have won 5-8 times more bids/proposals than i have lost. The only ones that really stick in my mind are the ones I did not. I harp on them constantly trying to pick apart the various aspects to avoid them next time. It?s not being a perfectionist, it is never being satisfied and trying to prevent past failures with future preparation. Successful people will always tell you their failures had more impact on their success than their successes.

Same aspect and perspective can be applied to how many of us view our sports programs.

Dawg61
01-21-2019, 11:33 PM
Collectively the members on this board aren't negative. It's just the squeaky wheels that post by far the most that make it seem like everyone is negative. Start calling the whiners out and they might either post less or stop being so damn negative all the time.

Dawg61
01-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Well let?s look at it this way. Would one be happier about a team with unrealistic expectations exceeding them or more aggravated with a proven team with high expectations underachieving?

We had a football team stacked to compete for the SEC West and playoff Birth. We have a basketball team chocked full of highly coveted players. Are we as fans going to sit here and realistically be complacent with what we see? It is much more aggravating to see a team with a high ceiling fall flat, than the flip side of an unexpected run of success.

This goes back to successful people. They dwell more and learn from the failures, than their successes. In my 10+ years in my in my occupation I have won 5-8 times more bids/proposals than i have lost. The only ones that really stick in my mind are the ones I did not. I harp on them constantly trying to pick apart the various aspects to avoid them next time. It?s not being a perfectionist, it is never being satisfied and trying to prevent past failures with future preparation. Successful people will always tell you their failures had more impact on their success than their successes.

Same aspect and perspective can be applied to how many of us view our sports programs.

Lolz except we aren't the ones playing or coaching the sports. Focusing on failures isn't gonna make us better sports fans it's gonna make us miserable 17s to listen to.

DancingRabbit
01-21-2019, 11:39 PM
Dak just got added to the Pro Bowl, so there's that.

Political Hack
01-21-2019, 11:58 PM
I'm excited about baseball season but hate so few games are on TV.

Coldsleeve Jr.
01-22-2019, 12:23 AM
I'm excited about baseball season but hate so few games are on TV.

Including on WatchESPN/SECN+, or like cable tv? Haven't seen tv schedule...

justwin
01-22-2019, 12:35 AM
I"m most excited that FINALLY, FINALLY after 20 years of following MSU football that we are going to have a system that promotes a downfield offensive, innovative passing game complemented with a running game where the primary ball carriers are the running back. A system where the QB is not a detriment. A system where the QB can throw for 3K and 30 tds, at a minimum...the expectation.

Running qbs ceilings are 8 wins, 9 if your schedule is soft. That's it....nothing more, mostly less & you better be prepared for a few skull drags b/c that O will get outpaced a few games. 8 is like winning 12 when you have a qb that cannot pass effectively and get the entire offense into a rhythm. Running qbs drive you crazy...herky jerky. It's awful. You can see the resentment by the rbs, wrs, etc.

MSU has had Fant, Tyler Russell, and Dak the last 20 years who could make all of the throws. In 20 years, we've had 3 guys. Fant, poor dude, had no defense, no OL, and a turrible OC. Tyler was completely mismanaged and was paired with a dam midget at rb his sr year in perkins (no offense to Perk) as JRob sat on the sidelines and then, Dak, was paired with another midget Holloway his sr year as a RS FR former MS POTY aeris sat on the sidelines.

Look, Mullen was great for our program and what we needed AT THE TIME. Mullen basically used the formula of a good defense & OL full of hungry, MS kids who want discipline complimented with a bruising running qb. That's good for consistently getting 6-8 wins. However, Mullen was completely clueless on how to use our big, powerful rbs to complement the qb. He left so many wins on the field especially against LSU...and that ain't worth $6M / year. Make no mistake, Mullen put his own ceiling up at MSU though.

We now have a proven offensive minded, bright, articulate, humble, blue collar cut from the steel mill coach in Joe who has a track record of high power offenses built on quick, easy reads and getting the ball to a variety of offensive personnel. Hell, one of the first things out of Joe's mouth was he would take less to spread more $ around to his coaches...how's that for humble...Mullen would've never said that...ever. At a minimum, wait until the 10+ throws that Fitz threw out of bounds a game are now in play and our WRs can actually have a legit shot at competing for the pass. We now have 3 qbs on the roster who were monsters in HS, won big, and have done the whole qb camp circuit during their teens and, again, won big games at HS...winning translates. I get it. Joe had to play the RS sr coming off an awful injury....especially as a 1st year coach. You just can't sit a RS sr whose battled back from that. You can bench him like he did game 1 for weed or coke or whatever, but you can't go away from him not as a first year coach. tough spot. if you really watch the film and see the volume of plays available to be made by our offense, easy to get excited about. It's dam hard to watch that tape when the result is 20+ qb runs up the middle when the qb won't / can't give it up. That LSU gameplan had so many guys running wide open and countless other games where the RBs where there to take it to the house if the pitch was just pitched...just pitch the dam ball...it's perfectly blocked. But when you have a guy who refuses to go through progressions at qb, much less distribute the ball, it clouds the entire picture and you're left wondering as a fan what the hell happened and you still win 8....ya know, the ceiling, of a running qb.

I think these next two years are going to be an offensive explosion with timing routes and all the players on offense getting into a rhythm early and the rbs being utilized and featured in a variety of ways. If you go back and listen to the players during the spring they talked about distribution and fun and "eatn". All of that was with Key at qb. Say what you want about Key, but he's smart & throws a very nice deep ball. Plus, he won louisiana in high school.

When I look at the other QBs in the SECW:
aub, OM, ark all have unproven qbs. Tua is made of glass and quit the 3 biggest games of the season and now without a backup, LSU has a running back playing qb like fitz, and TXAM has mond who has improved, but TXAM has lost what like 3 in a row to MSU.

The unknown is what is the ceiling of Shrader, Mayden, and, most importantly, Key and what will they do when it's "their" turn next year. All three throw catchable balls in bounds and all three have a degree of magnetism to them, intellect. Don't count out Plumlee either...watching his videos and interviews I think he could get it done pretty well too. I could see Plumlee being legendary slot wr / qb too, and left fielder in front of the best college baseball fans around. But I do know that their floor is closer to Fitz' ceiling and that' what I'm excited about. I don't worry about MSU's OL, DL, or whole D for that matter, or RB anymore...just too many good, hungry MS kids that'll work for it & live their dreams if given the chance. talking to you Elgton Jenkins. For so long, I always worried about our QBs having the skill/smarts to make the throws, reads, plays. Then, it began to change under Mullen as he was able to get net positive from our qbs for the 1st time ever in msu history, but still that was heavily weighted toward the qb run vs the qb pass. now there's dak which made us all look good and Mullen was smart enough to know & admit that Dak was generational and why he said post arkansas game was the "best he ever coached". However, Mullen still square pegged round hole with his qbs and, case in point, Tyler Russell having all the skills and then not giving a complimentary big bruising RB to play with. History repeats itself Daks sr year with same silly combo of stud qb and holloway and those poor combos were on Mullen.

It would be really nice, at a minimum, Javonta Payton can give us 30+ catches next year...come in and just play / produce is not too much to ask is it? Whop, Guidry, Austin, Osirus, Javonta, and one more coupled with the qbs we have who can consistently get them the ball & entire O into a rhythm early and get them into the endzone. Mingo would probably start here game 1 next year too....it seems like he knows it too, but will he pull the trigger.

a well balanced offensive team...that's what I'm excited about. I'm excited to see a qb(s) who can make the throws and is surrounded by guys who can make the plays when properly distributed to them.
I dam sure don't want to go back to the mullen qb run O. Dude dam near got Franks broke in half this year.

RougeDawg
01-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Lolz except we aren't the ones playing or coaching the sports. Focusing on failures isn't gonna make us better sports fans it's gonna make us miserable 17s to listen to.

You missed the point. Where did I say were were coaching or playing? Successful people expect to win. Losing has much more impact on you mentally. As does us as fans. I for one hate losing much much more than I enjoy winning. That?s why I do the homework and upfront work to minimize chances of losing.

That was the point. We expected to beat the Bearsharts like a drum this hear. The win was Meh to me. Losing last year when we should not have, had much more negative impacts on me that any win we have ever had against them. Guess not accepting anything less than winning isn?t a common mental aspect and does not eat at everyone equally.

Dawg61
01-22-2019, 01:17 AM
You missed the point. Where did I say were were coaching or playing? Successful people expect to win. Losing has much more impact on you mentally. As does us as fans. I for one hate losing much much more than I enjoy winning. That?s why I do the homework and upfront work to minimize chances of losing.

That was the point. We expected to beat the Bearsharts like a drum this hear. The win was Meh to me. Losing last year when we should not have, had much more negative impacts on me that any win we have ever had against them. Guess not accepting anything less than winning isn?t a common mental aspect and does not eat at everyone equally.

Lol again taking the same outlook you have personally in life with stuff you can directly affect and applying it to how you view your sports teams has absolutely zero impact on their chances to win/lose so you are actively participating in making yourself miserable when you watch sports by doing that. You do you though bud.

Political Hack
01-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Including on WatchESPN/SECN+, or like cable tv? Haven't seen tv schedule...

Just regular cable/satellite. Streaming is less dependable, but certainly better than nothing.

BeardoMSU
01-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Dak just got added to the Pro Bowl, so there's that.

So that's 2 Pro Bowls in his first 3 years. Not bad for a TE that can't throw.*

Liverpooldawg
01-22-2019, 09:21 AM

We did not have enough proven offense to win the West, or compete for it. Those expectations were unrealistic given that they were relying on things that until proven otherwise we did not have. This place went all in on those unrealistic expectations and now an 8 win season for MSU is considered a failure. That's just insane. It truely is. Our athletics over all in the programs that matter is the strongest across the board it has ever been, and we have people melting down like we are big losers in every sport. We have people who are saying that just making the NCAA in Men's basketball would be a failure, it has to be at least the Sweet 16. That's just insane also. We haven't even been to the Dance in a decade. Getting there would be a tremendous accomplishment. I've even seen people on here bashing Vic Schaffer for crying out loud. We have the most miserable fanbase in the country because if this stuff. We can't see the good because we have that poor old whooped down MSU mentality that is always looking for the wheels to come off. We always want to be the first to point out the bad, I guess it makes us feel better to be able to say, "See, I told you so. I knew it would never last." If you can't enjoy things right now as a MSU fan you need to go ahead and get you some Alabama football gear, Duke and UConn basketball gear, and LSU baseball gear.

Liverpooldawg
01-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Yep

Liverpooldawg
01-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Beating Ole Miss is never meh, EVER.

So to you if we lose a game it isn't acceptable. Which team will you be rooting for now?

sleepy dawg
01-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Expecting to win doesn't mean you're successful. Are you sure you're not just delusional? They also expect to win.

tcdog70
01-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Let's be realist---who beats Bama-(Clemson) who Beats LSU at Home at Night? So most of the time MSU (and everyone else in college football loses these two. Just going by the %. The % also say we beat KY--JOMO just really 17ed this game up--on Him all the way. Fla was a 50-50 game-where we could win because of home field advantage--JOMO and Osiris 17ed this one up. The rest of the season was pretty damn skippy. Stomped that mud-hole in the Rebs ass--so everyone should be glad of that.(Dak and Dan had trouble doing that). The Bowl game--just shitty--but still should have won.

Our defense was a thing to behold--very proud of their effort. Fitz took a lot of heat for our loses but didn't get enough credit for our wins. I'm a Fitz fan--JOMO had a hard time letting Him play to his strengths. Wish JOMO would have had Hill-Fitz and A-train all on the field together--(put Hill in the slot or run 2 back set). Your best players make plays--so put the ball in their hands often. Should have won 10 so that we won 8 is a bummer and I can only hope that JOMO learned a lot from his failures going forward.

our FG kicker was excellent and our punter looks to have figured it out(kinda late) So that makes me happy going forward. Hell-it is all good we could be Arkansas or Ole Miss fans--so I'm happy about that.

The Federalist Engineer
01-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Baseball is about to start and we have a great team. We have a complete pitching staff.

For the first time in a long time, we have a battleship of a team with many sources of strength

StateDawg44
01-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Expectations don't always manufacture the desired result no matter how you look at it.

I seen it dawg
01-22-2019, 12:30 PM

This doesn't make you special...there are a lot of things that do but this isn't one of them.

Cooterpoot
01-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Our new RB & WR coaches

hacker
01-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Our new RB & WR coaches

Richardson and who?

BiscuitEater
01-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Can we find something to be happy about around here.

WAOM .. We AREN'T Ole Miss!!!!

gravedigger
01-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Summed up nicely on twitter:

January 2 : "we've got to do something to change our offense!"

January 22: "Joe cant even keep his offensive coaches"

gravedigger
01-22-2019, 03:36 PM

I dont know of a single successful person that seeks out a group of people to bitch to in order to make themselves feel better. Not one.

Political Hack
01-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Summed up nicely on twitter:

January 2 : "we've got to do something to change our offense!"

January 22: "Joe cant even keep his offensive coaches"

That's funny. SEC fans complain no matter what.

Lord McBuckethead
01-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Im on record giving Moorhead shit, shit that he deserved but people acting like he is going to be a trainwreck might need to slow down. It aint like we went 5-7 and lost to our arch rival by 32 points

Yeah, we pretty much shut down the UM offense. I can live with that and ve happy for about 9 months.