PDA

View Full Version : Question for the fan base

MetEdDawg
01-20-2019, 07:11 PM
With Huff leaving I want to gauge what we think.

Let's start off with Mullen and use his time as the baseline. You get to choose between the following 2 things and only the following two things:

1) We recruit better than Mullen but overall coach worse.

2) We coach our players up more but we recruit worse than Mullen

What do we think has a better chance of getting us more success than we've seen over the last decade?

Lot of folks seem ok with Getsy and Huff going even though they clearly have the recruiting background or the experience cache to get more talent in here.

My thought is that our fan base would rather us coach better and recruit worse. Obviously we would like both to improve, but I think given our money and the conference, it's gonna take a while to get both.

tcdog70
01-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Why can't you do both?

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Mullen recruiting was better than the rankings showed. He was a mastermind and masking what his QB could and couldn?t do. Joe is recrybetter and seems to have a better plan than Mullen did. However Mullen is a much better game day coach than joe at this juncture. I don?t have a lot of faith in joe as a HC long term but maybe he will prove me wrong

Randolph Dupree
01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Either way I think it yields similar results. If we are able to recruit at an elite level, then I take recruiting. If you're able to
Coach at an elite level with underrated talent then that's another way to yield the same result. Overall, I'm not sure either is a realistic outcome here. Personally, I think JoMo has, philosophically, what it takes to do well here but am not sure if he can get it done. REALLY REALLY hoping he does some self evaluation during the offseason and figures it out.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Mullen recruiting was better than the rankings showed. He was a mastermind and masking what his QB could and couldn?t do. Joe is recrybetter and seems to have a better plan than Mullen did. However Mullen is a much better game day coach than joe at this juncture. I don?t have a lot of faith in joe as a HC long term but maybe he will prove me wrong

He also left us some gapping holes at WR and OT. So far Dan really didn't "mask" his deficiencies much better than Joe did if you look at the W/L record.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 09:05 PM
I think we have too small of a sample size to assume that Joe "coaches worse" than Dan.

At any rate I would take the recruiting because to me an average coach can look better with outstanding talent than an outstanding coach with average talent. See Hugh Freeze. Also see Nick Saban at Michigan State.

It seems to me like our fans in general would prefer the coaching and I think there are several reasons for that.

1. We've been on probation before because of illegal recruiting or at least we have fans that remember it whether it's the 70's or 2000's. Along with that- we have fans that don't handle the recruiting process well. We freak out if someone doesn't commit on the spot, we have fans that want to drop people at a hat and I think a lot of our fans don't like the recruiting stuff because Ole Miss likes it so much and we make fun of them for it. And along with that last point- I think we have a lot of fans that think that if we recruit consistently better than Ole Miss it will cause the "toxic" issues with Ole Miss to arise and they will turn us in for cheating.

2. We have fans that simply "don't believe" that we can win. They've been taught from childhood that MSU football leads to disappointment. And I think it's to the point where we have a lot of fans that are afraid to try to move forward. Our fans give up too easily and don't look for ways to improve or demand that the university do things to improve especially in recruiting.

3. We have fans that demand that MSU football "look at certain way". We HAVE to run the ball because that's what MSU football does. Despite the fact that the game is largely changing to more and more passing and despite the fact that run first plays into the hands of a defense like Alabama. It seems like they would rather go 4-8 running the ball than 8-4 and be balanced. And if the coach even suggests something other than run first power running it gets him on "the hot seat". Because our players aren't coached to be in passing systems in high school. Oh wait- our QB was from Georgia, and our top two WR's were from Florida and Louisiana.

4. A feeling that MSU will not remove sacred cows in the AD or upgrade the compliance department to a more modern status and that would not protect us or have our best interests in the event of a an investigation.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
What recruiting background does Getsy have? None that i know of coming from the NFL. Huff was a good recruiter at PSU but I don't know how that translates to recruiting at MSU. The only recruiting in the South I can see on his resume is one year at Vandy in 2011 as a quality control assistant which meant he couldn't even recruit off campus.

Bothrops
01-20-2019, 09:57 PM
With us, you must have an excellent recruiter from the south to have a chance. Only Nick Bastard Saban could pull kids from the NE or West Coast to MSU. Recruiting prowess from any other region is ****ing worthless here.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 09:59 PM
With us, you must have an excellent recruiter from the south to have a chance. Only Nick Bastard Saban could pull kids from the NE or West Coast to MSU. Recruiting prowess from any other region is ****ing worthless here.

Well Huff wasn't an excellent recruiter from the South. Guess we have a chance to get one now.

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Well Huff wasn't an excellent recruiter from the South. Guess we have a chance to get one now.

I firmly believe this will get 17ed up.

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 10:04 PM
He also left us some gapping holes at WR and OT. So far Dan really didn't "mask" his deficiencies much better than Joe did if you look at the W/L record.
Maybe so but I?d take Mullen over SloMo any day

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Maybe so but I?d take Mullen over SloMo any day

Give me the guy that paid attention to the Egg Bowl.

cheewgumm
01-20-2019, 10:23 PM
If fans are already turning on Moorhead, then after this coming year, he?ll be in real trouble.

What is everyone?s expectation?

6-6?

bluelightstar
01-20-2019, 10:24 PM
The correct answer is recruit better. Coaching 17 ups can be masked if you have better players than the other team. Of course, the problem right now is that we seem to be lacking both.

BuckyIsAB****
01-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Neither will get us where we want to go so its like picking the tallest midget