PDA

View Full Version : How many here think State can win the west in football within the next 10 years?

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 05:54 PM
I say no way, we lack the funding and the leadership in our AD department to make any kind of run at it.

bluelightstar
01-20-2019, 05:55 PM
I imagine Saban will retire in the next 10 years, so that opens a huge opportunity. But I haven't seen anything that makes me think Moorhead is going to be the one to do it.

msstate7
01-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Of course we can. Will we? That's the million dollar question.

MetEdDawg
01-20-2019, 05:56 PM
I would say in that 10 year span we would have a chance if Saban retires within the next 5 years. If he doesn't we have zero chance.

Money is always going to hold us back but we can get lucky within that time frame. But it would have to be in years 8-10

HoopsDawg
01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Could have won it this year with AJ Brown and a competent offensive coordinator.

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Could have won it this year with AJ Brown and a competent offensive coordinator.

Bullshit. Our Oline wasn’t even close to good enough.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Bullshit. Our Oline wasn’t even close to good enough.

2 NFL offensive linemen (Jenkins and Calhoun) and 2 RB's averaging 6+ yards per carry. Bullshit to your bullshit.

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 06:10 PM
2 NFL offensive linemen (Jenkins and Calhoun) and 2 RB's averaging 6+ yards per carry. Bullshit to your bullshit.

When we lost a game this year we were beaten up front every time. Football is a fairly simple game you beat the man in front of you you win. We weren’t capable of doing that and we didn’t. Our tackles were awful we had a guard at right tackle and a statue and left tackle, our interior was pretty good but there’s 5 spots up there.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 06:10 PM
I imagine Saban will retire in the next 10 years, so that opens a huge opportunity. But I haven't seen anything that makes me think Moorhead is going to be the one to do it.

Yep, I would take the 10 years after Saban retires as at least a shot. I don't think we will ever have a chance to beat Bama while he is still there. Besides them being so talented, even if we play the game of our lives the SEC refs will still not allow us to win against them while he is there.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2019, 06:18 PM
When we lost a game this year we were beaten up front every time. Football is a fairly simple game you beat the man in front of you you win. We weren’t capable of doing that and we didn’t. Our tackles were awful we had a guard at right tackle and a statue and left tackle, our interior was pretty good but there’s 5 spots up there.

Daryl Williams will be drafted next year. Reese will be drafted as guard. Of our starting 5 this year, 4 guys will end up NFL draft picks maybe even all 5. I mean, what more do you want? Reese and Eiland were fine in pass pro in 2017 in the 4 games they started together.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Daryl Williams will be drafted next year. Reese will be drafted as guard. Of our starting 5 this year, 4 guys will end up NFL draft picks maybe even all 5. I mean, what more do you want? Reese and Eiland were fine in pass pro in 2017 in the 4 games they started together.

Yep, mostly because Mullen's pass offense is like one read. Our OTs were no better in 2017 than 2018 except in 2017 they didn't have to hold off the rush as long.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Yep, mostly because Mullen's pass offense is like one read. Our OTs were no better in 2017 than 2018 except in 2017 they didn't have to hold off the rush as long.

Correct and more short route options to the slot receiver and TE's.

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 06:33 PM

We have a few pieces that in no way are a competent unit. You say Reese is a guard exactly, playing right tackle in the SEC west, playing out of position and yet you think that we could have won the west like that plus 1 receiver who runs s 4.6. Typical Misipy Tate take, this is the kind of stuff that keeps us where we are and is why we will never compete at the highest level in football. We as a unit of alumni and fan base just don’t get it, it takes the complete unit all in the right position executing at the highest level to play with those guys and beat them.

DogsofAnarchy
01-20-2019, 06:33 PM
I say no way, we lack the funding and the leadership in our AD department to make any kind of run at it.

We are about to go backwards....

1. Poor Coaching and Poor Leadership in the AD.

2. The Fans, the students and the alumni just don?t get it. It takes everyone pulling in the same direction and not questioning EVERY move that is made. It takes the universities media department unfortunately because ours SUCKS.

3. It takes a compliance department full of damn lawyers instead of a shithead that would just as soon turn us in than see us get off on something.

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 06:36 PM

2. The Fans, the students and the alumni just don?t get it. It takes everyone pulling in the same direction and not questioning EVERY move that is made. It takes the universities media department unfortunately because ours SUCKS.

3. It takes a compliance department full of damn lawyers instead of a shithead that would just as soon turn us in than see us get off on something.

You are on the right track, but in the minority.

IMissJack
01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
I feel less confident after 2018 than before.

Rick Danko
01-20-2019, 07:02 PM
No

Dawg2003
01-20-2019, 07:02 PM
No way. We can't out recruit Bama, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU. And if we did that, the stars have to align perfectly. Football is not like other sports. How many SEC titles have we won in sports where it would theoretically be easier to assemble an elite team?

AROB44
01-20-2019, 07:08 PM

sort of like it's done on here?

Saltydog
01-20-2019, 07:09 PM
NT

HoopsDawg
01-20-2019, 07:15 PM
by the way, great thread 2 weeks from signing day.

MStateDawg
01-20-2019, 07:34 PM
10 years is an eternity in college football.
10 years ago (2008), Clemson went 7-6.
10 years before that (1998), Tennessee won the National Title.

Shit changes.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Cohen is leading us back into Croom era....

Pit Bull
01-20-2019, 08:26 PM

When Saban retires......BAMA will just go get another Saban-like coach.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 08:37 PM
When Saban retires......BAMA will just go get another Saban-like coach.

Good luck to them with that. Just like the replaced Bear Bryant with another Bear Bryant right? I suspect history will repeat itself for them when that time comes.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 08:39 PM
We have a few pieces that in no way are a competent unit. You say Reese is a guard exactly, playing right tackle in the SEC west, playing out of position and yet you think that we could have won the west like that plus 1 receiver who runs s 4.6. Typical Misipy Tate take, this is the kind of stuff that keeps us where we are and is why we will never compete at the highest level in football. We as a unit of alumni and fan base just don?t get it, it takes the complete unit all in the right position executing at the highest level to play with those guys and beat them.

Well said.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 08:45 PM
The biggest issue we have is we do not invest enough in recruiting. We apparently have boosters that are OK with a few getting away and that's an issue because it keeps us from completing that "complete unit" that we need to win a championship. Our last two coaching hires have been guys that have good reputations as being good coaches. Compare Moorhead and Mullen's resume to the previous three coaches- Felker was an offensive backs coach at Alabama before we hired him, Sherrill was a retread that won games but also put us in the NCAA radar upon hire, and then Croom was a NFL RB coach.

We've improved in terms of hiring coaches. But our recruiting- especially in state needs to pick it up. IF we do that and Saban retires in the next ten years we have a shot. Right we're doing just enough to win 8-9 games a year, win the Egg Bowl and go to a nice bowl game. Which is improvement over our historical norm. But if we want to take the next step we have to improve the recruiting aspect.

Bothrops
01-20-2019, 09:13 PM
As long as Bama is strong, no. LSU is going to start beating us again every year too, just too loaded. So no, and no. 20 years from now, who knows what will change, or if football will be anything recognizable from what it is today. I'd say Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MSU will never win the west again with the sport as it is today.

Dawgology
01-20-2019, 09:36 PM
The biggest issue we have is we do not invest enough in recruiting. We apparently have boosters that are OK with a few getting away and that's an issue because it keeps us from completing that "complete unit" that we need to win a championship. Our last two coaching hires have been guys that have good reputations as being good coaches. Compare Moorhead and Mullen's resume to the previous three coaches- Felker was an offensive backs coach at Alabama before we hired him, Sherrill was a retread that won games but also put us in the NCAA radar upon hire, and then Croom was a NFL RB coach.

We've improved in terms of hiring coaches. But our recruiting- especially in state needs to pick it up. IF we do that and Saban retires in the next ten years we have a shot. Right we're doing just enough to win 8-9 games a year, win the Egg Bowl and go to a nice bowl game. Which is improvement over our historical norm. But if we want to take the next step we have to improve the recruiting aspect.

Exactly. Well said. If we could keep 90% of Mississippi talent at Mississippi State we could contend every year.

Dawgcap
01-20-2019, 09:45 PM

So you make your points in Number 2 by doing the exact opposite.

BuckyIsAB****
01-20-2019, 10:34 PM
We have a few pieces that in no way are a competent unit. You say Reese is a guard exactly, playing right tackle in the SEC west, playing out of position and yet you think that we could have won the west like that plus 1 receiver who runs s 4.6. Typical Misipy Tate take, this is the kind of stuff that keeps us where we are and is why we will never compete at the highest level in football. We as a unit of alumni and fan base just don?t get it, it takes the complete unit all in the right position executing at the highest level to play with those guys and beat them.

Jesus Christ dude

Coursesuper
01-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Jesus Christ dude

I'm not wrong.

BuckyIsAB****
01-20-2019, 10:43 PM
I'm not wrong.

In your opinion you arent but our OL was good at what they could do, for a large part of the season we didnt know what the hell we wanted to do on offense, and when we did know we werent very good at it.

We tried to use road graders like scooters and you see what we got. When we committed to running it there werent many better at it.

Here is the truth, in this league you are never going to line up and pound it down somebodys throat every week and go to ATL. So at some point we are going to have to be able to throw it, BUT if we ran it 3 times and punted this year we would be 11-2.

Todd4State
01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
In your opinion you arent but our OL was good at what they could do, for a large part of the season we didnt know what the hell we wanted to do on offense, and when we did know we werent very good at it.

We tried to use road graders like scooters and you see what we got. When we committed to running it there werent many better at it.

Here is the truth, in this league you are never going to line up and pound it down somebodys throat every week and go to ATL. So at some point we are going to have to be able to throw it, BUT if we ran it 3 times and punted this year we would be 11-2.

There is zero way to objectively know that running the ball three times and punting would lead to 11-2. If anything history shows that it wouldn't.