PDA

View Full Version : New Commit: Logan Forsyth

AlSwearengen
01-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Dawg61, please don?t stomp on this post. Class of 2022 from D?Iberville RHP. Ranked no.15 nationally. Looks like he may come from an MSU family. There were several people tagging his parents with the facebook post by MS State Baseball Fan announcing his commitment.

Most of these commits look like they are from MS kids so far. Todd or anyone else, do you have any insight into how this new coaching staff is going to approach recruiting as far as areas of the country and ratings? Personally, I would like to see us sign as many of the top ranked kids as possible, even if we know they are going pro, just for perception?s sake. Of course, we have to have plenty of good ?college bound? kids that are rated just low enough to get to campus.

Todd4State
01-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Forsyth has made the Team USA trials for his age group and he looks like a really good prospect. I'm pretty excited about him.

As far as recruiting I think we will continue the model we have been following. Get the best in Mississippi. Try to roll the dice with higher end players that have a MSU tie like Ginn and Carter Stewart if we can find them. Fill in the holes with out of state players and then fortify the bullpen and bench with JUCO players.

It appears as if we try to find a player that's in 8th grade that is a leader in the class and then we add the obvious talents like Forsyth and build as the players develop throughout the later years.

Todd4State
01-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Also- Mississippi is now a top five state as far as MLB talent goes per capita. That shows how much our talent has grown in Mississippi at the youth and high school levels. Ron Polk deserves a lot of credit for that.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-19-2019, 11:43 AM
In the very near future, if a kid is a Legit D1 or MLB prospect, they won?t be playing High School ball... it?s already happening in Fast Pitch..... 7 on 7 will have the same effect on HS football like AAU has to basketball....

There are some good HS Baseball Coaches in Mississippi, but they are outnumbered by bad coaches and some complete idiots as well....

The way to go now is through organizations like Dulins Dodgers, Yalobusha Giants, EC Sox ..etc.

Todd4State
01-19-2019, 11:49 AM
In the very near future, if a kid is a Legit D1 or MLB prospect, they won’t be playing High School ball... it’s already happening in Fast Pitch.

I can see that happening too. While I understand it I also feel like those reps from high school can be important in terms of developing as a player as well. Has some positives and negatives as well.

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
01-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Nobody gets a scholarship in golf based off high school competition. Always been that way.

Ezsoil
01-19-2019, 03:45 PM
In the very near future, if a kid is a Legit D1 or MLB prospect, they won?t be playing High School ball... it?s already happening in Fast Pitch..... 7 on 7 will have the same effect on HS football like AAU has to basketball....

There are some good HS Baseball Coaches in Mississippi, but they are outnumbered by bad coaches and some complete idiots as well....

The way to go now is through organizations like Dulins Dodgers, Yalobusha Giants, EC Sox ..etc.

Problem is most High School baseball coaches in Mississippi are nothing more than football assistants filling out the duties....

Todd4State
01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Nobody gets a scholarship in golf based off high school competition. Always been that way.

It's probably that way for most sports nowadays.

Coursesuper
01-19-2019, 04:54 PM
It's probably that way for most sports nowadays.

It's not that way on the coast, there is some good high school coaching down here. Most guy played in college and some got a bus ride in the minors.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 01:57 AM
It's not that way on the coast, there is some good high school coaching down here. Most guy played in college and some got a bus ride in the minors.

I was referring to how athletes are identified by college coaches via travel ball, AAU, whatever applies to the sport.

My opinion of high school baseball coaching in Mississippi is actually that it's pretty good. And definitely better than it was. I don't agree with the "assistant football coach" criticism of the sport. We just got a couple of commits from Hartfield Academy. Their head coach is very good- Chuck Box and he used to be at Jackson Prep when Mangum was there as well as several other D-I prospects like Gene Wood, Noah Hughes, and Parker Carracci. Jeremy Jackson who pitched at MSU and played pro baseball is their pitching coach.

I'm sure there are a few "assistant football coaches" at some of the smaller schools in the state possibly but the larger schools and the schools like Sumrall that take it very seriously have good coaches that are very reputable.

Cooterpoot
01-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Part of why coaches want early recruiting eliminated. It forces specialization in one sport and that?s not a good thing. Softball already eliminated some of it and put a dent in the showcases and camp scene.

RougeDawg
01-20-2019, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;1057844]Also- Mississippi is now a top five state as far as MLB talent goes per capita. That shows how much our talent has grown in Mississippi at the youth and high school levels. Ron Polk deserves a lot of credit for that.[/QUOTE

Hahaha Hahaha. Ron Polk was the recipient of this jewel. He deserves 0.0000credit for it. Mississippi has been baseball rich dating back to the early 1900?s. I know current Yankee, Giants and Brewers scouts who can speak for days on the subject. I also know many former scouts who despise Polk. I won’t go into details for the 48th time here as to why. But let’s just say the scouts caught on to Polk and his “recruiting”. Look at his teams over time. The scouts did his early recruiting and stopped telling him who they were looking at toward the end of his career. Polk was no genius. He just went after the players MLB scouts were drooling over. Once the scouts caught on and got pissed, Polk dried up.

The man took MSU baseball to new heights but he was no genius. I know a lifelong family friend with more than a handful of Yankee World Series rings that would make this board weep of Polk stories. He took advantage of a system tat had not been exploited to the extent of which he did. Let?s call it what it was but let?s not give him credit for current baseball youth. That?s asinine.