PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt preview

jwells
01-18-2019, 12:30 PM
#24 Mississippi State (13-3, 1-2 SEC) at Vanderbilt (9-7, 0-4 SEC)
Tip: 7:30 PM CT TV: SEC Network

Mississippi State looks to build off their opening win of the SEC season while Vanderbilt looks for answers as they search for their first league win.

Vanderbilt Team Stats

Points per game: 77.9 MSU: 79.5
Points allowed: 71.0 MSU: 68.9
FG%: 412-915 (45.0%) MSU: 460-955 (48.2%)
3P%: 127-381 (33.3%) MSU: 151-388 (38.9%)
FG% Allowed: 41.2% MSU: 42.8%
3P% Allowed: 31.6% MSU: 34.2%

Vanderbilt Team Leaders

Simi Shittu (Fr.): 14.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg
Saben Lee (So.): 12.3 ppg, 3.6 apg

Vanderbilt comes in trying to find a new identity following the loss of star freshman Darius Garland to a knee injury after just five games. The Commodores have struggled to get going in SEC play and blew a 9-point 2nd half lead in a loss to South Carolina Wednesday. When I watch the Commodores, the 1st thing that comes to mind is inconsistency. They very much look like a team whose leader and floor general was taken out of the mix, they haven't been able to get it back going with Saben Lee at the helm. From the games I have seen, he is great for a few minutes and then struggles the next. A key for the Commodores to get going is for more consistent play out of him. Freshman big man Simi Shittu is also up and down at times but is very skilled for a freshman and could very much cause us problems if we are not prepared to handle him. My idea for how they will attack us is to get the ball in the paint to Shittu and allow him to work around the rim as well as kick out to their many guards on the perimeter when we undoubtedly double in the post. Our defensive rotations will be key and something we have struggled with early in SEC play.

Defensively, Vanderbilt has been fairly multiple in the action I have seen. On Wednesday against South Carolina, the Commodores played a good bit of zone which was a good idea against a poor shooting Gamecocks team. I expect that Vanderbilt will vary their looks against us and once again it will be important to stay focused and under control to get open looks. As we saw Tuesday, Lamar Peters is the straw that stirs this team's drink. Good execution from him ups the game of everyone else on the floor and quite frankly he is the only player that can be said about. We will also need continued effort that we saw in the final minutes Tuesday to carry over if we want to go on the road and get a victory. The Bulldogs are so emotional that I think we will start well coming off the win on Tuesday but it will be key to keep that up. Quite frankly, I am not sure if this team will do what it takes to win on the road even against a winless SEC team but I am hopeful. This is a massive game that is absolutely a must win with Kentucky and Auburn coming up.

parabrave
01-18-2019, 12:53 PM
and don't forget about the main problem that Vandy poses to all visiting teams is that dam floor.

Gutter Cobreh
01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Paging Scooba!!! Can we get some fake money vcash bets up for this game tonight??

jwells
01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
and don't forget about the main problem that Vandy poses to all visiting teams is that dam floor.

True, but they are 0-2 in the SEC at home so doesn't affect it too much. Also, I find Vandy's gym to be a good shooting gym. There are just feelings about certain gyms that teams tend to shoot better at than others and Vandy is a good one in my eyes. On the opposite end, the MS Coliseum is the worst. It knocked Lamar out of the rhythm he was in.

StarkVegasSteve
01-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Vandy could have 0 wins on the year and I still wouldn't feel confident going into Memorial Gym. We've only won there 3 times this century(I still have nightmares about Shan Foster scoring about 50 one night against us) That place just presents problems all around. But if we make our FT's and BLOCK OUT I think we have a good chance to pull this one out.

jwells
01-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Vandy could have 0 wins on the year and I still wouldn't feel confident going into Memorial Gym. We've only won there 3 times this century(I still have nightmares about Shan Foster scoring about 50 one night against us) That place just presents problems all around. But if we make our FT's and BLOCK OUT I think we have a good chance to pull this one out.

True. Always have a bad feeling going in there but I also think it has zero to do with the set-up of the gym tho.

StarkVegasSteve
01-18-2019, 01:56 PM
True. Always have a bad feeling going in there but I also think it has zero to do with the set-up of the gym tho.

That's where I'd disagree with you. Especially for us because we like to run a lot of sets. It's hard for Howland to get the set called from the other end of the floor. Puts a lot on your PGs to be able to relay everything. Now it does help that we're on the same end as our bench in the second half.

jwells
01-18-2019, 02:03 PM
That's where I'd disagree with you. Especially for us because we like to run a lot of sets. It's hard for Howland to get the set called from the other end of the floor. Puts a lot on your PGs to be able to relay everything. Now it does help that we're on the same end as our bench in the second half.

Yea true but the coaching box actually is extended now to where it would normally be on the side so if you were having that much trouble he is allowed to move.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2015/02/24/memorial-gym-unique-coach-box-extended/23934713/

chef dixon
01-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Season turnaround. Come out sharp. Dogs roll by 15+.

biggun
01-18-2019, 07:26 PM

I would not bet on it. We will have to make a ton of 3?s to win and on the road, that is not a recipe for success

Liverpooldawg
01-18-2019, 08:16 PM

The NCAA or the SEC need to force Vandy to conform their arena to the norm.

MarketingBully
01-19-2019, 12:48 AM
This game will come down to will Holman give the effort on defense we need him to? Will we play Ado less minutes and Perry and Woodard more minutes? Will we move without the ball and be patient on offense to get the open look? This game is more about us then Vandy. Vandy is 0-4 in the conference and let South Carolina come back and beat them after being up 12. Vandy isn?t a good three point shooting team. Howland knows what our deficiencies are. Can he convince the players of them and will they translate it to improvements on the court.

timotheus
01-19-2019, 01:57 AM
That is spot on sir. We will see if he can convince them and or if they will listen.

MarketingBully
01-19-2019, 08:16 AM
That is spot on sir. We will see if he can convince them and or if they will listen.

We were supposed to foul on the final drive against Florida but we didn’t. Howland wanted us to foul last year against South Carolina but we didn’t and the guy made a halfcourt shot to send it to OT. They don’t do what he tells them to do sometimes. They should listen to a guy who has a ton of basketball knowledge. If they don’t do what he asks them to do personally I think he should limit their playing time. That’s really how all of these kids understand now a days anyway.

basedog
01-19-2019, 09:15 AM
True, but they are 0-2 in the SEC at home so doesn't affect it too much. Also, I find Vandy's gym to be a good shooting gym. There are just feelings about certain gyms that teams tend to shoot better at than others and Vandy is a good one in my eyes. On the opposite end, the MS Coliseum is the worst. It knocked Lamar out of the rhythm he was in.

Actually open gyms or coliseums such as Vandy aren't considered good shooting arena's.

chef dixon
01-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Let?s gooooo!!!