PDA

View Full Version : Any status on Bibby's injury?.......

Pit Bull
01-17-2019, 09:46 PM
…..Vic got real emotional about it when asked by the announcer at halftime. Makes me think it was bad. I sure hope not. Bibby is my favorite player in MSU basketball period!(including the men). Is she gone for the year?....a few games?.....anybody know?

civildawg
01-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Seems like they think she is done for the year but will get the mri or whatever tomorrow to confirm

Pit Bull
01-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Seems like they think she is done for the year but will get the mri or whatever tomorrow to confirm

Damn.....I hate that! She was just starting to become a force for us. I wonder if she could get a medical hardship? This is really going to hurt us. Gonna have to have Andra Hunter step up in a big way and show why she was a 5 Star out of HS.
"

Captain Falcon
01-17-2019, 10:25 PM
I don’t think they are expecting good news. And I believe she has played in too many games to get a medical redshirt.

I hate it. She’s a really good player and without her we are a very different team. I was encouraged by how we played without her tonight, though. Got really good minutes from pretty much all of our reserves. They’ll have to continue to develop and come up big for us as the year goes on. Still a lot of basketball to be played. We still have another 12-14 games before we even get to the Big Dance.

Homedawg
01-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Damn.....I hate that! She was just starting to become a force for us. I wonder if she could get a medical hardship? This is really going to hurt us. Gonna have to have Andra Hunter step up in a big way and show why she was a 5 Star out of HS.
"

She is not eleible for a medical redshirt she played in too many games.

Scared_Hitless
01-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Looks like it is going to be season ending based on needing an MRI and Vic's reaction. Should know more today but it is going to change our team a good bit. An injury last year would have been more devastating since our bench was paltry. This year we have some talent and at least we have some time for them to step up and play up to Vic's standard.

Also the change to more zone fits with our personnel so well that we may be able to add a primary shooter like Hunter and lose some D. Big T is going to have to play big all season now.

Jack Lambert
01-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Looks like it is going to be season ending based on needing an MRI and Vic's reaction. Should know more today but it is going to change our team a good bit. An injury last year would have been more devastating since our bench was paltry. This year we have some talent and at least we have some time for them to step up and play up to Vic's standard.

Also the change to more zone fits with our personnel so well that we may be able to add a primary shooter like Hunter and lose some D. Big T is going to have to play big all season now.

Well we beat SC by 15 with out here. Going to miss here but the team is still powerful.

Scared_Hitless
01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
Well we beat SC by 15 with out here. Going to miss here but the team is still powerful.

I think it just changes our make-up I still think we make a final four run. Big T and Anriel are so dominant most teams cannot hang. If we play Zone against Oregon we would be undefeated right now.

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 10:13 AM
I don't think we're a final 4 team this year, with or without Bibby. Just not enough scorers and our defense isn't want it's been in the past. But, stuff like this can sometimes lead to things we don't expect. We never panicked last night and the bench players stepped up. Taylor, EH, Scott, Carter all gave us something.

confucius say
01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
I don't think we're a final 4 team this year, with or without Bibby. Just not enough scorers and our defense isn't want it's been in the past. But, stuff like this can sometimes lead to things we don't expect. We never panicked last night and the bench players stepped up. Taylor, EH, Scott, Carter all gave us something.

We lead the country in scoring. Why you say not enough scorers?

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
We lead the country in scoring. Why you say not enough scorers?

We can't shoot it. We rely on rebounding and 2nd chance points, along with transition. But we've literally got no shooters without Bibby.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

I agree that we don't look like a final 4 team this year. But that's because I'm comparing us to the last 2 years.

Fact is I don't think there's any elite Womens teams this year. All the top teams seem more eatable than the last 2 years. I think the tournament will have lots of chaos this year

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
I agree that we don't look like a final 4 team this year. But that's because I'm comparing us to the last 2 years.

Fact is I don't think there's any elite Womens teams this year. All the top teams seem more eatable than the last 2 years. I think the tournament will have lots of chaos this year

Maybe. And Vic is going to make some changes now, so I expect a more diverse defensive look and probably working in EH a little more (she's probably our best shooter now). Going to have to use that bench more.

Scared_Hitless
01-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Sure we may rely on Offensive Boards for alot of points but we are also shooting the mid range game very well. You don't lead the nation in scoring without shooting well. And we are going to dominate the boards against every team in the country T and Anriel are that good. This team is more consistent than last years at generating points. We would stall for long periods last year when Vivians would leave the court.

We will see how Vic adjusts, but Hunter can shoot just as well as Chloe. We are just going to lose defense neither are overly athletic. I am confident he figures our our mojo and we make a run.

louisvilledawg
01-18-2019, 11:04 AM

So you don't think we look like a final four team, but you also don't think there are any elite teams and the tournament will have lots of chaos? WUT

QuadrupleOption
01-18-2019, 11:10 AM
We can't shoot it. We rely on rebounding and 2nd chance points, along with transition. But we've literally got no shooters without Bibby.

If you're talking about 3-point shooters I somewhat agree although I think it's more that they don't attempt that many 3-point shots. As a team they've shot 1221 2-point shots (and made 50%) against 256 3-point shots (37.5% made). As a team 82.6% of shot attempts are from 2 point range.

For 2 point shots, McCowan leads with a 67% rate.
Other notables:
Anriel Howard: 51%
Jordan Danberry: 51%
Bre'Amber Scott 52%
Jessika Carter 55%
Zion Campbell 50%

From 3 point range Bibby is obviously the biggest threat at 45%.
Other notables:
Howard: 31%
Jazzmun Holmes: 40%
AEH: 33.9%
Bre'Amber Scott: 50%
Myah Taylor: 31.8%
Nyah Tate: 33%

Granted some of the players don't have a lot of VOLUME of shots attempted to really know how it will play out over the course of the season but I think we'll be okay going forward. Especially if they know they will be asked to fill Bibby's spot and work on their outside shot.

Having said all that, I don't agree that we don't have any shooters. Hell McCowan's FG% is insane when you consider that she has 3 players hanging off her every time she gets the ball.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-18-2019, 11:21 AM
So you don't think we look like a final four team, but you also don't think there are any elite teams and the tournament will have lots of chaos? WUT

I don't think we're playing like a for sure top 4 team. At least not consistently. However, I also don't think many other teams are either, and the "top" teams have a good chance of getting upset in the tournament which could make our path to the F4 easier. or we could lose to a 4 seed in the sweet 16. My point is we may be worse than the last 2 years but anything can happen this year

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 11:46 AM
The problem you run into is when you play the top teams and they sag down and take away a lot of what we do. Oregon ate us up. T completely disappeared and the only scorer we had was Howard. If T gets in foul trouble, then we're really in trouble, although Carter has looked pretty solid for a young player (will be great).

Scared_Hitless
01-18-2019, 11:55 AM
The problem you run into is when you play the top teams and they sag down and take away a lot of what we do. Oregon ate us up. T completely disappeared and the only scorer we had was Howard. If T gets in foul trouble, then we're really in trouble, although Carter has looked pretty solid for a young player (will be great).

I would agree with this earlier in the season but our mid-game is emerging Danberry and Holmes are both knocking down shots now. Howard also is hitting a ton of mid-range shots. We are going to need to keep improving for sure, but I think this team is deeper and much more athletic than the last two years. Besides Vivians we were very unathletic in the guard slots and this is not a shot at Blair and Mo but Danberry and Holmes are better at everything except shooting 3's. If we move to the zone and let T terrorize the interior we are a problem for anyone.

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
I would agree with this earlier in the season but our mid-game is emerging Danberry and Holmes are both knocking down shots now. Howard also is hitting a ton of mid-range shots. We are going to need to keep improving for sure, but I think this team is deeper and much more athletic than the last two years. Besides Vivians we were very unathletic in the guard slots and this is not a shot at Blair and Mo but Danberry and Holmes are better at everything except shooting 3's. If we move to the zone and let T terrorize the interior we are a problem for anyone.

We haven't played an elite team since Oregon. And our current guards can't get back in transition (see the change last night). Any time we've faced quality guard play, we've had some struggles. We will definitely see more zone play.

Scared_Hitless
01-18-2019, 12:02 PM
We haven't played an elite team since Oregon. And our current guards can't get back in transition (see the change last night). Any time we've faced quality guard play, we've had some struggles. We will definitely see more zone play.

I guess my comment is assuming we use the formula from last night. SC had some pretty good guards prob close to elite. The difference is we went zone and did not put T defending the Pick and Roll on the top of the key. I agree if we go back to full-court man we will struggle with guards again.

Cooterpoot
01-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I think our bench gets more action than last night out of necessity with Scott starting. SC was the worst 3 pt team in the SEC before last night though. Agee with you on T coming out on top and people killing us. Either way, we're to top 8 team. My comments about the final 4 were just that we're not a sure shot this year like in the past couple of years. We're also more likely to be upset in the tournament if we don't pull a good draw.

msbulldog
01-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Just looking at the stats and I know this includes all of the weaker OOC teams, but we're averaging 90.9 total pts/game with a scoring margin of 34.2 pts/game. Chloe is averaging 11.9/game, so we have some scoring room left over.

Pit Bull
01-18-2019, 04:23 PM
I think it just changes our make-up I still think we make a final four run. Big T and Anriel are so dominant most teams cannot hang. If we play Zone against Oregon we would be undefeated right now.

Don't think we are a Final Four team w/o Bibby. May have been had she continued to improve her 3 pt. shot like she has so far. So that is basically losing our top 2 three point shooters in Vivians and Bibby in less than a year's time. Teams will all double team Tea now with little outside shooting threat. And if they are successful shutting or slowing down Tea, then we are pretty much toast. We will compete well, but just won't be able to win the close games you have to in the NCAA tourney.

West Tn Dawg
01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Don't think we are a Final Four team w/o Bibby. May have been had she continued to improve her 3 pt. shot like she has so far. So that is basically losing our top 2 three point shooters in Vivians and Bibby in less than a year's time. Teams will all double team Tea now with little outside shooting threat. And if they are successful shutting or slowing down Tea, then we are pretty much toast. We will compete well, but just won't be able to win the close games you have to in the NCAA tourney.
Forgetting Blair as well. She was a huge part of our 3 pt. game.

Pit Bull
01-18-2019, 07:58 PM
NT

Pit Bull
01-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Forgetting Blair as well. She was a huge part of our 3 pt. game.

Yeah Blair too....she was averaging about 41% from 3 pt. range. Bibby was hitting at a 45% clip until she got hurt....the thing about Bibby was she was a pretty tall wing (6'1"/6'2") who could shoot over smaller defenders. Someone will have to step up into that 3 pt. stratosphere that can fill that bill. Bibby was the one to replace Vivians, IMO, and was on her way this year. This is a major set back.

Ezsoil
01-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Damn thing about statistics..

Here you go
FG pct. opponents Fg pct. points per game Opponents points per game
2016 44.5 39.4 75.9. 57.9
2017. 46.8 39.0 81.1 56.4
2018. 50.4 36.8 90.9 56.7

I'd say this team is shooting and scoring at a significant better pace than the previous two years ..if you look closely, by almost any significant metric this team is clearly superior....but most of all, this team has a very balanced scoring attack rather than the previous two years when 2 players dominated the scoring. Had VIc been willing to change up things with the zone in the two previous national championship games, he would have taken home the hardware....now that he is the hunted, he will have to make adjustments as teams that may have overlooked MSU before, will now have a defined game plan. Yes they may get beat in the tournament, but I don't see the glaring weaknesses that previous two teams had.

BuckyIsAB****
01-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Even with the injury, McCowan is a top 5 player in the nation I would be surprised if we arent in the final 4. Her howard and how athletic our guards are compared to most teams and people cant hang.

If McCowan ever cant go we are in a bind but God forbid that happens. Need somebody to be able to shoot though to win the big ones

dawgday166
01-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Not sure we're a final four team even with Bibby. Maybe by that time could get there ... not sure. That's a much longer shot (to get to Final 4 caliber by March) now than it was with Bibby tho.

maroonmania
01-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Damn thing about statistics..

Here you go
FG pct. opponents Fg pct. points per game Opponents points per game
2016 44.5 39.4 75.9. 57.9
2017. 46.8 39.0 81.1 56.4
2018. 50.4 36.8 90.9 56.7

I'd say this team is shooting and scoring at a significant better pace than the previous two years ..if you look closely, by almost any significant metric this team is clearly superior....but most of all, this team has a very balanced scoring attack rather than the previous two years when 2 players dominated the scoring. Had VIc been willing to change up things with the zone in the two previous national championship games, he would have taken home the hardware....now that he is the hunted, he will have to make adjustments as teams that may have overlooked MSU before, will now have a defined game plan. Yes they may get beat in the tournament, but I don't see the glaring weaknesses that previous two teams had.

True, the games we've struggled (Marquette, Oregon, Georgia, even SC) it wasn't because of a lack of offense. It was the defense that let us down. It seems kind of weird how transition teams can run on us and get easy transition baskets when we have the speed at the Guard position with Holmes and Danberry but they do. We were actually a better defensive team last year even though less athletic on the perimeter which seems backward from what you would think but teams like Oregon and Marquette and to some degree GA and SC have run at will on us especially on our missed shots.

Dawg2003
01-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Last year's team was really reliant on Vivians and shooting 3s. Problem is you can go cold from 3 point land. Every team would zone us or double/triple team T and dare our guards to hit 3s. They're doing the same thing this year except we shoot pull up jumpers and get a lot of layups. This year we have more people sharing the scoring. Last year, we had Vivians/T and 3 role players.

So far, we've scored a lot of points no matter what. Our problem at Oregon was our defense. The offense has yet to be a problem despite people saying it's a problem. We are halfway through the season, and the offense is still not an issue.

Dawg2003
01-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Not sure we're a final four team even with Bibby. Maybe by that time could get there ... not sure. That's a much longer shot (to get to Final 4 caliber by March) now than it was with Bibby tho.

You never know. This team can put up a lot of points. Neither South Carolina nor Notre Dame were heavy 3 point shooting teams when they won nattys.

Liverpooldawg
01-18-2019, 11:00 PM
Don't sell this bunch short. It's totally amazing what they have done with ONE returning starter. Now it helps that that ONE is the most dominant player in women's college basketball.

LC Dawg
01-19-2019, 10:56 AM
We have talent on the bench but not experience. Some are about to get more experienced. It looks like Myah Taylor is about a year away from really contributing but I think Espinoza-Hunter is going to take advantage of her opportunity and start giving us some points.

dawgday166
01-19-2019, 11:36 AM
This team can put up some points even tho we don't shoot the long ball as well. But what really separates last year's team from this year's is the D. Last year's team could play stifling, suffocating D. Lot of speed on last year's team.

That's why I'm not sure we were a final 4 team even with Bibby.

Bigedawg
01-19-2019, 12:32 PM
I think this year’s team is more athletic than last year. They are capable of playing suffocating half court defense. I think the problem is we are overplaying the passing lanes in back court, which can generate turnovers but also leads to run outs if the first line of defense is beaten. I think Vic will mix in more matchup zone with Big T patrolling the lane. That will also be a very difficult defense to score against. Mo, Blair, and RoJo were tough defenders but were often overmatched physically. Not many teams are gonna outmatch Jazz, Danberry, and Anriel from an athleticism standpoint. It will be exciting to see how Vic adapts going forward and how the bench steps up their games