PDA

View Full Version : New baseball commit. This ones older

AlSwearengen
01-17-2019, 12:07 AM
Class of 2022. Linc Sheffield, LHP from Hartfield Academy. Two lefties in consecutive days.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 12:56 AM
Alright!! I look forward to hearing he passed his drivers test in another year.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 01:10 AM
Alright!! I look forward to hearing he passed his drivers test in another year.

Be glad I'm not a moderator. You would be banned for a week.

Again- stop trolling recruits threads.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2019, 09:36 AM
No kid should be allowed an offer/commitment until they're a Junior.

Tbonewannabe
01-17-2019, 09:47 AM
No kid should be allowed an offer/commitment until they're a Junior.

I agree but until that happens we have to play the game according to the rules. It would be moronic to not lock up a possible high profile recruit while we can. We can't afford to fight the LSU, Vandy, and UFs with one hand tied behind our back.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7784:it-passed-softball-recruiting-contact-date-set-at-september-1-junior-year&catid=284&Itemid=149

Already happening in softball.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree but until that happens we have to play the game according to the rules. It would be moronic to not lock up a possible high profile recruit while we can. We can't afford to fight the LSU, Vandy, and UFs with one hand tied behind our back.

Most of those kids never make to campus because they don't develop, get another offer, injury, etc.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Be glad I'm not a moderator. You would be banned for a week.

Again- stop trolling recruits threads.

You're wrong again. Discussion over wether we are taking commits from players that are too young is not a bannable offense. Stop going rage mode over it hoss.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Most of those kids never make to campus because they don't develop, get another offer, injury, etc.

Yea it's a giant waste of time which is exactly my point.

Johnson85
01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
You're wrong again. Discussion over wether we are taking commits from players that are too young is not a bannable offense. Stop going rage mode over it hoss.

It's not a bannable offense. It's just annoying as shit to repeat over and over. We get it, it's somewhat ridiculous how early offers and commitments are made in baseball, especially since they're not binding offers and not a commitment in any sense of the word. But that's the way baseball operates and baseball fans are going to want to keep up with recruiting. You're free to just not click on baseball threads or to start new threads about college baseball recruiting without hijacking every thread that talks about an actual recruit.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 10:41 AM
It's not a bannable offense. It's just annoying as shit to repeat over and over. We get it, it's somewhat ridiculous how early offers and commitments are made in baseball, especially since they're not binding offers and not a commitment in any sense of the word. But that's the way baseball operates and baseball fans are going to want to keep up with recruiting. You're free to just not click on baseball threads or to start new threads about college baseball recruiting without hijacking every thread that talks about an actual recruit.

What makes me laugh is how people will go on and on about how we don't play the game in football and basketball, our recruiting sucks, etc. - and when we are doing what it takes in baseball they slam it for being ridiculous.
Make up your mind - or maybe we should go back to only recruiting kids who come to camp by typing a sternly worded offer on a typewriter.

Homedawg
01-17-2019, 10:43 AM
What makes me laugh is how people will go on and on about how we don't play the game in football and basketball, our recruiting sucks, etc. - and when we are doing what it takes in baseball they slam it for being ridiculous.
Make up your mind - or maybe we should go back to only recruiting kids who come to camp by typing a sternly worded offer on a typewriter.

you must spread some rep around....... well done

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
No we are one of about four P5 schools in the country taking commits from junior high kids. Let's not act like it's how all of college baseball is recruiting. It's just us, Miami and like two other schools doing it. It's dumb. Someone bring up that list of freshman commits in the country again and you'll see.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Dude this and the other one have been the only threads on taking commits from pre-teens in the last 6 months. Stop acting like I am discussing it non-stop and it's unbearable. If you hate discussing it so much how about YOU don't click on the only two threads discussing it in the last half a YEAR.

Tbonewannabe
01-17-2019, 11:32 AM
No we are one of about four P5 schools in the country taking commits from junior high kids. Let's not act like it's how all of college baseball is recruiting. It's just us, Miami and like two other schools doing it. It's dumb. Someone bring up that list of freshman commits in the country again and you'll see.

So we are doing the same thing as Harbaugh and Saban, just in baseball. Maybe Moorhead needs to do it as well.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2019, 11:35 AM
I don't see an issue. I wish our football coaches were getting to these kids sooner...maybe we could land an extra big name or two every few years if so. Never know. As long as I'm not the one having to recruit an 8th grader, I'm fine with our coaches doing it ha

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
So we are doing the same thing as Harbaugh and Saban, just in baseball. Maybe Moorhead needs to do it as well.

Saban takes commits from junior high kids? Doesn't anyone see the potential downfall this has of adding extra pressure on a super young kid still developing physically and mentally?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Saban takes commits from junior high kids? Doesn't anyone see the potential downfall this has of adding extra pressure on a super young kid still developing physically and mentally?

Not to get into this but he offered Dylan Moses as an 8th grader. He offered the big kid from Columbia before his 8th grade. Michigan just offered a 7th grade QB. Lebron James Jr & some of his AAU teammates had offers this summer.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 11:52 AM

According to Perfect Game, 77 kids from the Class of '22 are already committed.
Oregon State, Virginia, UNC, Florida, FSU, Kentucky, Michigan, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, UCLA, & The Citadel are some of the schools besides MSU with commits. Most have multiples. Some have been committed for a year.

Jacksondevildog
01-17-2019, 12:03 PM
There's a lot of Old Man Get off of My lawn comments here. The nature of the game in college baseball recruiting is changing. Younger kids are going to national showcases and college coaches are flocking to them. They obviously check with parents and their travel coach/high school coach prior to offering to see what kind of makeup the player has. Obviously, they will continue to evaluate the player to see how he does both academically and athletically over their career. I don't see why so many people can't see how this is becoming the norm. Every major college baseball program in America is doing the same thing. If MSU is the only school that waits until kids are in 11th grade before offering, we will be fielding a D2 team, talent wise. It's time for some of you to get off of your flip phones and understand the changing times.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:19 PM
There's a lot of Old Man Get off of My lawn comments here. The nature of the game in college baseball recruiting is changing. Younger kids are going to national showcases and college coaches are flocking to them. They obviously check with parents and their travel coach/high school coach prior to offering to see what kind of makeup the player has. Obviously, they will continue to evaluate the player to see how he does both academically and athletically over their career. I don't see why so many people can't see how this is becoming the norm. Every major college baseball program in America is doing the same thing. If MSU is the only school that waits until kids are in 11th grade before offering, we will be fielding a D2 team, talent wise. It's time for some of you to get off of your flip phones and understand the changing times.

Interesting point you bring up, but does it make it right?

I'm not debating others are doing it, but just because others are doing it - does that make it an acceptable practice?

Dawg61 brings up valid points in regards to development, so I'd be interested to see how many of these early recruits actually sign with the team they commit to.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

You mean like Luke Alexander and Luke Hancock? We haven't had a decommit from an 8th grade baseball recruit to date. And Blaze Jordan might be that first to not make it but it will be because he was drafted and not because he decommitted.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 12:22 PM

The start a different thread about it instead of hijacking a commits thread about it hoss. An announcement thread should be about welcoming them and their family to MSU. Not about how stupid the coaches were to offer them or the state of college baseball recruiting which you don't know Jack shit about.

Jacksondevildog
01-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Whether it's right or not is irrelevant to me. If the other SEC teams are doing it, and we decide to keep competing in the SEC, we better be doing it. We had stubborn Polk only offering players IF they came to MSU camp. We didn't actively recruit talent away from the campus. Now we have coaches, Cohen included, who are aggressively identifying young talent nationwide, and we have fans that think it's bad. What is bad is getting your ass kicked in a sport because you were lazy in recruiting.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
The start a different thread about it instead of hijacking a commits thread about it hoss. An announcement thread should be about welcoming them and their family to MSU. Not about how stupid the coaches were to offer them or the state of college baseball recruiting which you don't know Jack shit about.

You should really watch your language since we are getting commitments from 12 year old kids. They have access to the internet, will probably read their announcement thread, and thus read your filthy words. Please don't show them how uncouth our fanbase is!***

Jacksondevildog
01-17-2019, 12:30 PM
What I?m more concerned with is the committed 8th graders logging on to this board and others and seeing how stupid some of our fans are. That may scare them away to LSU and then our national nightmare will be over.

You should really watch your language since we are getting commitments from 12 year old kids. They have access to the internet, will probably read their announcement thread, and thus read your filthy words. Please don't show them how uncouth our fanbase is!***

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Whether it's right or not is irrelevant to me. If the other SEC teams are doing it, and we decide to keep competing in the SEC, we better be doing it. We had stubborn Polk only offering players IF they came to MSU camp. We didn't actively recruit talent away from the campus. Now we have coaches, Cohen included, who are aggressively identifying young talent nationwide, and we have fans that think it's bad. What is bad is getting your ass kicked in a sport because you were lazy in recruiting.

So your correlating only offering kids who came to camp to now offering kids who just finished middle school??? That doesn't make sense to me. You think dominant programs became dominant because they did what everyone else was doing?

I would think the first step to getting better players would be evaluating talent better across multiple avenues, not just camp. I would also say that developing a relationship with the family would be the next step, by getting them to understand that you want to do what is best for their child. Handing out baseball scholarships like their Willy Wonka golden tickets isn't going to make you any more successful than maintaining the relationship and offering at an appropriate time once you've seen how they've developed through high school.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 12:31 PM

I'm not debating others are doing it, but just because others are doing it - does that make it an acceptable practice?

Dawg61 brings up valid points in regards to development, so I'd be interested to see how many of these early recruits actually sign with the team they commit to.

Does it make it wrong? The coaches are paid to evaluate talent. If they think someone in the 8th grade is a D-I talent then it's their prerogative to make an offer. And remember MLB has essentially been signing 16 year old Latino players for years. That's just a couple of years older than an 8th grader in America. And a lot of those Latino players are younger than 16.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:33 PM
What I?m more concerned with is the committed 8th graders logging on to this board and others and seeing how stupid some of our fans are. That may scare them away to LSU and then our national nightmare will be over.

I think you've proven Dawg61's point here. If a message board is going to send the juvenile to LSU while he is in 8th grade, then we have a problem with the process.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Did y'all know academically gifted kids get evaluated in middle school and major colleges start recruiting them?
If you've had a kid that scored well on the 7th grade SAT program that Duke administers you do. Your kid then starts getting inundated with invites to summer academic camps, year round learning programs, and scholarship placement programs all designed to steer the best and the brightest to the top universities by dangling the potential of money for school in front of their parents. They have been doing that for almost 40 years.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Does it make it wrong? The coaches are paid to evaluate talent. If they think someone in the 8th grade is a D-I talent then it's their prerogative to make an offer. And remember MLB has essentially been signing 16 year old Latino players for years. That's just a couple of years older than an 8th grader in America. And a lot of those Latino players are younger than 16.

Your post and thoughts are valid and I agree. It is just an interesting topic to discuss.

For the record, I hope this kid comes to play for us and I'm happy he is committed.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 12:35 PM
So your correlating only offering kids who came to camp to now offering kids who just finished middle school??? That doesn't make sense to me. You think dominant programs became dominant because they did what everyone else was doing?

I would think the first step to getting better players would be evaluating talent better across multiple avenues, not just camp. I would also say that developing a relationship with the family would be the next step, by getting them to understand that you want to do what is best for their child. Handing out baseball scholarships like their Willy Wonka golden tickets isn't going to make you any more successful than maintaining the relationship and offering at an appropriate time once you've seen how they've developed through high school.

What's happening is these players are seen in travel ball tournaments at a young age. That is how they are known by colleges. If we wait until they are seniors in high school before we offer most of the talent will be gone because they are committing as 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th grade.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Did y'all know academically gifted kids get evaluated in middle school and major colleges start recruiting them?
If you've had a kid that scored well on the 7th grade SAT program that Duke administers you do. Your kid then starts getting inundated with invites to summer academic camps, year round learning programs, and scholarship placement programs all designed to steer the best and the brightest to the top universities by dangling the potential of money for school in front of their parents. They have been doing that for almost 40 years.

I agree and Duke does a phenomenal job regarding their academic programs. If we were offering 100% full ride with baseball, I could see where you're coming from. The comparison falls apart though because baseball scholarships are a fraction of what tuition costs. They aren't getting a full-ride in baseball. If you correlated evaluating their talent to get them to come to camp, I think that is more along the line of what the top academic schools are doing.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 12:39 PM
What's happening is these players are seen in travel ball tournaments at a young age. That is how they are known by colleges. If we wait until they are seniors in high school before we offer most of the talent will be gone because they are committing as 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th grade.

Committing is not signing, as we see more often in football. Having a relationship is where it starts, not by offering the kid a scholarship.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Committing is not signing, as we see more often in football. Having a relationship is where it starts, not by offering the kid a scholarship.

As I said we haven't had an 8th grade de-commit and not sign a scholarship so far. We can have guys commit the day before signing day and still de-commit. Remember Tee Shepherd in football? So if your reason for not offering younger players is they may de-commit that's a risk until signing day no matter when they commit.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 12:48 PM
I agree and Duke does a phenomenal job regarding their academic programs. If we were offering 100% full ride with baseball, I could see where you're coming from. The comparison falls apart though because baseball scholarships are a fraction of what tuition costs. They aren't getting a full-ride in baseball. If you correlated evaluating their talent to get them to come to camp, I think that is more along the line of what the top academic schools are doing.

That's exactly my point. The goal is building a connection with talented kids, getting them to experience what we have to offer, and establishing Dudy Noble Field as their dream. They build relationships with coaches, other players, and the campus. As for scholarships - it is what it is. You may not be able to waive the same monies around but you are selling the great opportunity MSU provides for your kid - CWS, SEC, Thunder & Lightning, etc etc.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2019, 12:51 PM

And the NCAA already has a proposal to eliminate this stuff. It's coming. I agree, we have to do it while it's being done. But every college coach wants it eliminated, kids are having more injuries because of it, kids are forced to specialize in certain sports, etc. etc. etc. This will change within the next two years. Nothing wrong with people saying it needs to be eliminated.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 12:58 PM
When we spend time recruiting jr. high kids we can't spend it recruiting older more developed better players that can help us right away instead of having to wait for the next ice age for IF they might still be good enough to help us. It's not rocket surgery. Every second you spend on a twelve year old is a second lost on an older better player.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:02 PM

I'll discuss it where I want to Todd. You have some very strange power trip over baseball threads like you are Abner Doubleday and you invented the sport. C34 asking you to contribute baseball info to the board has really gone to your head bud and not in a good way.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Just read this whole thread.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/hose_to_head_king_of_the_hill.gif

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 01:08 PM
I'll discuss it where I want to Todd. You have some very strange power trip over baseball threads like you are Abner Doubleday and you invented the sport. C34 asking you to contribute baseball info to the board has really gone to your head bud and not in a good way.

You're a piece of shit.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 01:28 PM
When we spend time recruiting jr. high kids we can't spend it recruiting older more developed better players that can help us right away instead of having to wait for the next ice age for IF they might still be good enough to help us. It's not rocket surgery. Every second you spend on a twelve year old is a second lost on an older better player.

Which I don't think anyone on here disagrees with in principle. But, as long as the NCAA has a rule structure that means the big programs are all doing it, then we need to be right there with them.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Which I don't think anyone on here disagrees with in principle. But, as long as the NCAA has a rule structure that means the big programs are all doing it, then we need to be right there with them.

Them wasting time on 8th graders gives us an advantage. That makes it doubly stupid to then take that extra time awarded to us and just waste it on the same 8th graders.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:32 PM
You're a piece of shit.

Insulting and threatening me multiple times in this thread and I am the piece of shit. Noted.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 01:36 PM
Insulting and threatening me multiple times in this thread and I am the piece of shit. Noted.

Where did I "threaten" you?

ZedFedder
01-17-2019, 01:38 PM
The issue is y'all give credence to Dawg61 by replying every time he says it. Just read over it. Replying is what gives him the notion to keep on. 90% of the board thinks what he says is dumb.

ScoobaDawg
01-17-2019, 01:40 PM
The issue is y'all give credence to Dawg61 by replying every time he says it. Just read over it. Replying is what gives him the notion to keep on. 90% of the board thinks what he says is dumb.

Exactly... he's following the model of another poster.

Ezsoil
01-17-2019, 01:55 PM

We already do have a hand tied behind our back with the scholarship issue

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Exactly... he's following the model of another poster.

I'm not following anyone's model. This particular discussion on taking commits from super young players dates all the way back to when Tim Brewster took commits from 4 players outta North Carolina that where freshmen in HS. None of them made it to campus. I said then it was a huge waste of time while Todd, Shotgun and a few others supported it. So far it looks like the only player they can somewhat say we've gotten in any sport that was committed at a super young age is Foambat and he just quit the team so if what I am saying 90% of the board thinks makes me dumb like ZedFedder just said than what's that make the 90% considering I am pretty damn right about this topic?

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 01:58 PM
I'm not following anyone's model. This particular discussion on taking commits from super young players dates all the way back to when Tim Brewster took commits from 4 players outta North Carolina that where freshmen in HS. None of them made it to campus. I said then it was a huge waste of time while Todd, Shotgun and a few others supported it. So far it looks like the only player they can somewhat say we've gotten in any sport that was committed at a super young age is Foambat and he just quit the team so if what I am saying 90% of the board thinks makes me dumb like ZedFedder just said than what's that make the 90% considering I am pretty damn right about this topic?

LA didn't quit the team. Just for the record.

Still at 0 upvotes on your six pack thread as of now to 5 down votes for those keeping score.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Just read this whole thread.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/hose_to_head_king_of_the_hill.gif

Apologies for not tying Moorhead to this thread. I'm sure if he somehow would have been included, you'd be all up in the conversation about how he sucks and the whole process is stupid...

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
LA didn't quit the team. Just for the record.

Still at 0 upvotes on your six pack thread as of now to 5 down votes for those keeping score.

Who gives a shit about likes dude. Maybe a teenager girl on instagram. Are you a teenage girl Todd? That board has blacklistedbully, goat and EngiNe down voting everything into existence. The more downvotes I have the better. The downvotes are where the bodies are stored. 100% chance one of those downvotes is from you too.

Oh and Luke not quitting the team doesn't help your argument considering he's the ONLY super young player we've ever gotten that's contributed much of anything in any sport. Keep thinking it's not a huge waste of time and that we aren't wasting the extra time advantage gifted to us by the moron P5 schools that want to recruit little leaguers though.

AlSwearengen
01-17-2019, 02:20 PM

I?m going to go hold a gun to my head after reading this. I have never seen so many engineers and dirt farmers try to tell college baseball coaches from the elite programs how they are doing things wrong.

You don?t see the problem with waiting to recruit kids until they are in the 11th grade? That will have us scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to sign kids that would have been signing with Troy and UAB if it weren?t for MSU being the only sec school that is too good to recruit kids when they are younger and when the rest of the baseball elites are recruiting them.

Also, reading your post, it sounds like you think we are going to have a bunch of 16 year olds on the field at Dudy Noble. I swear, you have to be trolling us with this idiocy.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 02:24 PM
I?m going to go hold a gun to my head after reading this. I have never seen so many engineers and dirt farmers try to tell college baseball coaches from the elite programs how they are doing things wrong.

You don?t see the problem with waiting to recruit kids until they are in the 11th grade? That will have us scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to sign kids that would have been signing with Troy and UAB if it weren?t for MSU being the only sec school that is too good to recruit kids when they are younger and when the rest of the baseball elites are recruiting them.

Point to the part where I said wait till they are in the 11th grade. I said don't take commits from super young players that doesn't mean avoid them like the plague till they reach the 11th grade.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Apologies for not tying Moorhead to this thread. I'm sure if he somehow would have been included, you'd be all up in the conversation about how he sucks and the whole process is stupid...

Whole process?

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Whole process?

Recruitment of middle schoolers genius... that process... the topic that derailed this thread...

Cooterpoot
01-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Some folks getting way too triggered up in here.

Jack Lambert
01-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Personally I think it could hurt the kid in the long run.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Who gives a shit about likes dude. Maybe a teenager girl on instagram. Are you a teenage girl Todd? That board has blacklistedbully, goat and EngiNe down voting everything into existence. The more downvotes I have the better. The downvotes are where the bodies are stored. 100% chance one of those downvotes is from you too.

Oh and Luke not quitting the team doesn't help your argument considering he's the ONLY super young player we've ever gotten that's contributed much of anything in any sport. Keep thinking it's not a huge waste of time and that we aren't wasting the extra time advantage gifted to us by the moron P5 schools that want to recruit little leaguers though.

Just hammering the point home that everything thinks you are wrong on this issue.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Just hammering the point home that everything thinks you are wrong on this issue.

If I'm wrong where's all the 4-5 year commits that have played for us as your evidence? How many players for USM had an offer from us when they spanked our ass last year? Maybe we shoulda offered some of those players instead of chasing 8th graders.

ScoobaDawg
01-17-2019, 04:27 PM
If I'm wrong where's all the 4-5 year commits that have played for us as your evidence? How many players for USM had an offer from us when they spanked our ass last year? Maybe we shoulda offered some of those players instead of chasing 8th graders.

Spoken like a true person with their head stuck in the mud and declaring things can't ever change. It's been done this way for 100 years so I HAVE TO be RIGHT. Coaches Can't be more effective and recruit Older and Younger players at the same time using social media, website platforms that track recruits and the million other technical advances that have been made.

WOW.. maybe we are cutting edge and getting in on Baseball players..who TYPICALLY commit earlier than any other sport

Feel free to double down on how wrong you are though...

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Spoken like a true person with their head stuck in the mud and declaring things can't ever change. It's been done this way for 100 years so I HAVE TO be RIGHT. Coaches Can't be more effective and recruit Older and Younger players at the same time using social media, website platforms that track recruits and the million other technical advances that have been made.

WOW.. maybe we are cutting edge and getting in on Baseball players..who TYPICALLY commit earlier than any other sport

Southern Miss swept us with 95% of their players not getting a MSU offer.

Gutter Cobreh
01-17-2019, 05:03 PM

The same technology that allows your coach to be sexting while in the dugout???***

The issue, from my perspective, isn't recruiting a kid at a particular age. It's the belief that if you get a kid to commit to you in the 8th grade, it will produce results at the college level 5 years later. Let's be honest, if a kid is THAT good in junior high school - he's getting drafted and will never see a college baseball field. My whole notion within this thread is that our baseball program will not be any more worse or successful due to the number of kids we're getting to commit (not recruiting) to us in junior high school. If a kid show promise and ability, absolutely start recruiting them early. I'd simply hold off on "offering" the kid a spot so soon in their development.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 05:50 PM
The same technology that allows your coach to be sexting while in the dugout???***

The issue, from my perspective, isn't recruiting a kid at a particular age. It's the belief that if you get a kid to commit to you in the 8th grade, it will produce results at the college level 5 years later. Let's be honest, if a kid is THAT good in junior high school - he's getting drafted and will never see a college baseball field. My whole notion within this thread is that our baseball program will not be any more worse or successful due to the number of kids we're getting to commit (not recruiting) to us in junior high school. If a kid show promise and ability, absolutely start recruiting them early. I'd simply hold off on "offering" the kid a spot so soon in their development.

Not necessarily- Luke Alexander and Luke Hancock both made it to MSU. Austin Kelly likely will also.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Southern Miss swept us with 95% of their players not getting a MSU offer.

We all know why we were swept by USM. And it wasn't because we were recruiting 8th graders. Thanks Cann! Same USM team we beat in their regional the year before and have a winning record against the past ten years. They won't sweep us this year.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 05:57 PM

LA was the first 8th grader we ever got a commitment from in school history. He had a successful career for us. We've only had I believe 5 total in the entire history of MSU baseball. LA was one. Luke Hancock is a freshman this year. Austin Kelly is a senior in high school and is not a draft risk. Blaze Jordan is a sophomore. He is probably the best known player in his class. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760425-meet-blaze-jordan-the-15-year-old-baseball-phenom-with-500-foot-power And then Brodey Walker who we got a commitment from yesterday.

The ironic thing is we've had more success with our 8th grade commits as far as keeping them than any other grade.

Also- you want to have the same USM players that didn't make it to a SR or Omaha? Really? So ****ing stupid. I would take last year with us getting swept by USM most years.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 06:06 PM
We all know why we were swept by USM. And it wasn't because we were recruiting 8th graders. Thanks Cann! Same USM team we beat in their regional the year before and have a winning record against the past ten years. They won't sweep us this year.

If I gave you the opportunity to steal the best players off USM's team every single year would you do it? What if I said you could also take the best players from ULL? Louisiana-Lafayette was ranked #1 a couple years ago. Remember that? Guess what? We already can steal those players with better recruiting. Offering middle schoolers is poor recruiting. Stealing USM and La-Lafayette's best players every single year is great recruiting. Which one are we currently doing and which one are we not?

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Also- you want to have the same USM players that didn't make it to a SR or Omaha? Really? So ****ing stupid. I would take last year with us getting swept by USM most years.

I don't want the exact same roster that USM has Einstein I want to steal their best players from them before they even get there. Along with ULL, Auburn etc..

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 06:56 PM
If I gave you the opportunity to steal the best players off USM's team every single year would you do it? What if I said you could also take the best players from ULL? Louisiana-Lafayette was ranked #1 a couple years ago. Remember that? Guess what? We already can steal those players with better recruiting. Offering middle schoolers is poor recruiting. Stealing USM and La-Lafayette's best players every single year is great recruiting. Which one are we currently doing and which one are we not?

No because our players have had more success on the field. Three SR's, a SEC title, and an appearance in Omaha. We consistently beat those teams head to head on the field. It's stupid to suggest otherwise.

I don't want the exact same roster that USM has Einstein I want to steal their best players from them before they even get there. Along with ULL, Auburn etc... We're not losing the best players to those teams Einstein.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 08:02 PM
We're not losing the best players to those teams Einstein.

We are losing some of the best players to those teams Einstein. USM had a 2nd round draft pick last year. Luke Reynolds also got drafted in the 10th round. The year before they had 4 players drafted. Idk about you but I'd take draft pick talent over 8th graders flirting.

Todd4State
01-17-2019, 09:21 PM
We are losing some of the best players to those teams Einstein. USM had a 2nd round draft pick last year. Luke Reynolds also got drafted in the 10th round. The year before they had 4 players drafted. Idk about you but I'd take draft pick talent over 8th graders flirting.

We had seven players drafted off of our team last year which started a ton of freshmen. USM had two off of a veteran laden team. The two that you are referring to- the second rounder was a USM legacy who had a brother that played baseball for USM. Reynolds was on our team at one time. We've had TWO first round picks the past three years- they have ZERO. We have two of the last three Ferris Award Winners and have twice as many Ferris Award winners as USM has- including one Ferris Award winner who is still on our team. We have the SEC Triple Crown winner (who committed as a 9-10th grader by the way), the like SEC all-time hits leader (committed after his sophomore year and in part because he was good friends with Luke Alexander who we "wasted our time" and got committed as an 8th grader).

And care to take a gander at how many former MSU players are in MLB right now and are on MLB.com's top 30 team prospect lists? USM only has pretty much Brian Dozier in MLB- and the main reason he wasn't a MSU baseball players was guess why? Because we refused to recruit him when he was a sophomore and junior and we lost him to USM. That alone should among other things blow your idiotic BS out of the water.

So, no Einstein. We're not losing players to "those teams" in any way, shape or form. It's proven in the results on the field. And no- one weekend where our coach is sexting some girl in Florida and then gets fired the next week doesn't prove your point at all. It's proven in the draft. It's proven in MLB. It's proven through history with our teams from 2008-2010 that your thoughts and ideas do not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2019, 10:03 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/92565fcc5f910e14142fca3ba436353a/tenor.gif

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 11:35 PM
We had seven players drafted off of our team last year which started a ton of freshmen. USM had two off of a veteran laden team. The two that you are referring to- the second rounder was a USM legacy who had a brother that played baseball for USM. Reynolds was on our team at one time. We've had TWO first round picks the past three years- they have ZERO. We have two of the last three Ferris Award Winners and have twice as many Ferris Award winners as USM has- including one Ferris Award winner who is still on our team. We have the SEC Triple Crown winner (who committed as a 9-10th grader by the way), the like SEC all-time hits leader (committed after his sophomore year and in part because he was good friends with Luke Alexander who we "wasted our time" and got committed as an 8th grader).

And care to take a gander at how many former MSU players are in MLB right now and are on MLB.com's top 30 team prospect lists? USM only has pretty much Brian Dozier in MLB- and the main reason he wasn't a MSU baseball players was guess why? Because we refused to recruit him when he was a sophomore and junior and we lost him to USM. That alone should among other things blow your idiotic BS out of the water.

So, no Einstein. We're not losing players to "those teams" in any way, shape or form. It's proven in the results on the field. And no- one weekend where our coach is sexting some girl in Florida and then gets fired the next week doesn't prove your point at all. It's proven in the draft. It's proven in MLB. It's proven through history with our teams from 2008-2010 that your thoughts and ideas do not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Except moron we aren't comparing all our players vs their best players we are comparing our eight graders we flirt with and accept commits from vs their best players we didn't give offers to. So Einstein how about you tell me how many of those we've had drafted?

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 11:38 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/92565fcc5f910e14142fca3ba436353a/tenor.gif

You get distracted by lots of word and miss the point often or just in this thread?

timotheus
01-17-2019, 11:40 PM
u ask too many questions.

Todd4State
01-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Except moron we aren't comparing all our players vs their best players we are comparing our eight graders we flirt with and accept commits from vs their best players we didn't give offers to. So Einstein how about you tell me how many of those we've had drafted?

Oh, excuse me I thought we were comparing our players to the "ones we missed" which by YOUR account is a USM legacy and a guy that was a walk-on on our team before transferring to USM essentially because we didn't have a scholarship for him. I still think I'm OK with Rooker, Dakota Hudson, Jake Mangum, Hunter Stovall, and on and on. Literally the only player I would take off of USM's team is Matt Wallner. And the only reason USM ended up with him is because he was at a program that folded and he had an acquaintance that knew someone at USM. The only one of the five 8th graders that we've even had on our team as of now is LA- and while he wasn't drafted he was a two year starter and had a solid career including several pretty memorable walk-off wins for us. Including one in Omaha. And he still may get drafted or sign a pro contract this summer once his situation is resolved. And while he may not have had a Brent Rooker like career he was on the Dulin's Dodgers team which because we got a commitment from him helped us land several key players like Mangum who has family with major ties to Ole Miss, Alabama and guess where else? Yep USM, Keegan James, Hunter Stovall, and Ethan Small among others. So, by signing LA it helped us start to build the core of players that won the SEC, went to Omaha, and have gone to three SR's, helped us land an SEC ace in Small whom we had to fight Vandy for, a quality second baseman, and the likely SEC all-time hits leader, and oh yeah- the actual recruit was a quality SEC infielder who started regularly for us and got the game winning hit in Omaha and in the Governor's Cup. So, yeah- complete waste of time.**

Hell- Rick Cleveland would take all of our players and program the last three years over USM's except for Wallner too. And he's the biggest USM homer in America.

Todd4State
01-18-2019, 12:18 AM
u ask too many questions.

That's what desperate people who have lost do.

Todd4State
01-18-2019, 12:26 AM
You get distracted by lots of word and miss the point often or just in this thread?

Oh- I'd say he and everyone else got the point. Except for you. But keep playing- play stupid games win stupid prizes.

What's funny is you've lost this issue on two boards now- and I haven't even posted in the thread on sixpack. Just waiting for the "Aw man, I'm just joking around." comment in a lame attempt to bail yourself out. We all know you're really that stupid though.

You're way over your head on this issue. If I were you I would just go home and not post anything baseball related for awhile. And thank the lucky stars I'm not a moderator or it would be awhile you posted again after you have hijacked two baseball recruits threads with your bullshit. "But I wanna be USM or ULL!" LOL. Almost as dumb as Will James hitting technique.

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 12:41 AM
Oh, excuse me I thought we were comparing our players to the "ones we missed" which by YOUR account is a USM legacy and a guy that was a walk-on on our team before transferring to USM essentially because we didn't have a scholarship for him. I still think I'm OK with Rooker, Dakota Hudson, Jake Mangum, Hunter Stovall, and on and on. Literally the only player I would take off of USM's team is Matt Wallner. And the only reason USM ended up with him is because he was at a program that folded and he had an acquaintance that knew someone at USM. The only one of the five 8th graders that we've even had on our team as of now is LA- and while he wasn't drafted he was a two year starter and had a solid career including several pretty memorable walk-off wins for us. Including one in Omaha. And he still may get drafted or sign a pro contract this summer once his situation is resolved. And while he may not have had a Brent Rooker like career he was on the Dulin's Dodgers team which because we got a commitment from him helped us land several key players like Mangum who has family with major ties to Ole Miss, Alabama and guess where else? Yep USM, Keegan James, Hunter Stovall, and Ethan Small among others. So, by signing LA it helped us start to build the core of players that won the SEC, went to Omaha, and have gone to three SR's, helped us land an SEC ace in Small whom we had to fight Vandy for, a quality second baseman, and the likely SEC all-time hits leader, and oh yeah- the actual recruit was a quality SEC infielder who started regularly for us and got the game winning hit in Omaha and in the Governor's Cup. So, yeah- complete waste of time.**

Hell- Rick Cleveland would take all of our players and program the last three years over USM's except for Wallner too. And he's the biggest USM homer in America.

That's what desperate people who have lost do.

Oh- I'd say he and everyone else got the point. Except for you. But keep playing- play stupid games win stupid prizes.

What's funny is you've lost this issue on two boards now- and I haven't even posted in the thread on sixpack. Just waiting for the "Aw man, I'm just joking around." comment in a lame attempt to bail yourself out. We all know you're really that stupid though.

You're way over your head on this issue. If I were you I would just go home and not post anything baseball related for awhile. And thank the lucky stars I'm not a moderator or it would be awhile you posted again after you have hijacked two baseball recruits threads with your bullshit. "But I wanna be USM or ULL!" LOL. Almost as dumb as Will James hitting technique.

You mad Todd? I didn't say anything in the SPS thread I posted a video clip genius.

Jarius
01-18-2019, 03:25 AM
We recruit extremely well in baseball. Every program misses on kids, in every sport. We are consistently better than USM, ULL, and every other program around this State other than LSU. They should probably be copying what we are doing and not the other way around.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-18-2019, 07:31 AM
It is ironic how times have changed. Teams used to get NCAA probation for giving cars to recruits. Now they get probation for giving a 1st grader a super cool Buzz Lightyear lunchbox and some Lightning McQueen shoes that light up when you run on the playground.

BB30
01-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Explain to me how it hurts our baseball recruiting? If it doesn't then I don't see a problem with taking commits from youngsters. You can tell enough about a young pitcher to know if he has a potential future or not. Several 8th and 9th graders are already on pro ball radars as well.

It doesn't matter if 90% of them wash out before signing, if just one of them turns out to be a stud and we land him because of it then it is worth doing.

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Explain to me how it hurts our baseball recruiting? If it doesn't then I don't see a problem with taking commits from youngsters. You can tell enough about a young pitcher to know if he has a potential future or not. Several 8th and 9th graders are already on pro ball radars as well.

It doesn't matter if 90% of them wash out before signing, if just one of them turns out to be a stud and we land him because of it then it is worth doing.

Because you can't be doing two things at once. You can't be trying to find the guys you are missing every year that are going to the surrounding good programs and beating you down the road that you never offered because you spent that time flirting with 8th graders. If we could make up an all-star team of programs like ULL, Tenn Tech, Samford, USA, USM etc consisting of just the top 2-3 guys from each school it will demolish any P5 team in the country. If you were to then look to see how many of those guys held MSU offers it'd probably be around 0%. The point is we are missing on offering MANY good players that live within a 5 hour radius of us every single year and they come back and beat us later on down the road.

ScoobaDawg
01-18-2019, 11:05 AM
61.. just stay out of the baseball recruiting talk if you want to blast your opinion and refuse to actually listen to logic. Your so damn dense and boneheaded.

Homedawg
01-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Because you can't be doing two things at once. You can't be trying to find the guys you are missing every year that are going to the surrounding good programs and beating you down the road that you never offered because you spent that time flirting with 8th graders. If we could make up an all-star team of programs like ULL, Tenn Tech, Samford, USA, USM etc consisting of just the top 2-3 guys from each school it will demolish any P5 team in the country. If you were to then look to see how many of those guys held MSU offers it'd probably be around 0%. The point is we are missing on offering MANY good players that live within a 5 hour radius of us every single year and they come back and beat us later on down the road.

How do you know we spent one minute on the recruiting trail going after 8th graders. We could have seen him at camp, could have seen him playing on a team full of tenth graders, or a million other ways. You want us to close our eyes bc he's in the 8th grade?? You point is beyond stupid. And it's clear you going to stick w it anyway. Clueless.

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 11:30 AM
61.. just stay out of the baseball recruiting talk if you want to blast your opinion and refuse to actually listen to logic. Your so damn dense and boneheaded.

What age is too young to you to be taking commits from in any of the 3 big sports?

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 11:35 AM
How do you know we spent one minute on the recruiting trail going after 8th graders. We could have seen him at camp, could have seen him playing on a team full of tenth graders, or a million other ways. You want us to close our eyes bc he's in the 8th grade?? You point is beyond stupid. And it's clear you going to stick w it anyway. Clueless.

Because we are discussing it on this board and it's been announced to the world that we took a commit from an 8th grader. That doesn't happen unless our coaches want it to be known. Take the commit fine if we feel that good about the player but do it in private. Why do we even know about it like we are supposed to be impressed by it? Obviously some of us aren't.

ScoobaDawg
01-18-2019, 02:21 PM
What age is too young to you to be taking commits from in any of the 3 big sports?

Pre-teen... which you don't know what one is obviously.

Homedawg
01-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Because we are discussing it on this board and it's been announced to the world that we took a commit from an 8th grader. That doesn't happen unless our coaches want it to be known. Take the commit fine if we feel that good about the player but do it in private. Why do we even know about it like we are supposed to be impressed by it? Obviously some of us aren't.

The kid announced it. That's how that works. What's wrong with that? He can't have a moment in the sun?? Can't blame the boy. at all!!!

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 02:51 PM
Pre-teen... which you don't know what one is obviously.

I'll remember to use the ScoobaSarcasteriks next time for you**

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 02:52 PM
The kid announced it. That's how that works. What's wrong with that? He can't have a moment in the sun?? Can't blame the boy. at all!!!

Congrats Linc Sheffield I hope you lead us to a CWS title. No offense meant.