PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Statistics thru 6 games

Will James
10-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Pitching won't be able to tell us much of anything just because they haven't thrown enough (most IP is Sexton at 5 1/3). Sample size for hitters are too small for anything to be taken too, but we can still have fun with it.

At the end of all the scrimmages we MAY have a small correlation to judge hitters off of, but again.... Sample sizes.

Just some things I've seen.

1. Armstrong, Humphries, and Garner have been the most consistently good at the plate. Lots of hard hit balls from these 3.

2. Cody Walker leads the team with a .714 on-base. Great approach at the plate.

3. Vickerson, Rea, Ingram, and Heck have seen the most pitches/Plate appearance. Their offensive output reflects that positively.

4. When taking out sac bunt plate appearances (Henderson and Swarinski have two each) CT is seeing the least pitches per plate appearance. He is not a leadoff or anywhere in the 1-5 hitter.

5. Cody Brown hasn't impressed me.

6. Pirtle is on fire after missing the first weekend.

7. Dakota Hudson reminds me of Verlander (build, motion)

8. We have a 16% BB rate/.430 OBP as a team. Good job hitters.

Any specific questions you want just ask.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Are the pitchers throwing curveballs?

bully99
10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Haven't been there, but Swinarski seems to really be struggling. In my 35 years of watching State baseball, I've only seen one player come into the fall as a freshman and you could say that guy is a no doubt great player and that was Rafael Palmeiro. He was special. Will Clark was in the same class but Will wasn't nearly as polished as Palmeiro. We've had a lot of great players over the years, so you can't judge how good these guys will be in the future right now.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Are the pitchers throwing curveballs?

Yes

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Haven't been there, but Swinarski seems to really be struggling. In my 35 years of watching State baseball, I've only seen one player come into the fall as a freshman and you could say that guy is a no doubt great player and that was Rafael Palmeiro. He was special. Will Clark was in the same class but Will wasn't nearly as polished as Palmeiro. We've had a lot of great players over the years, so you can't judge how good these guys will be in the future right now.

He should be going into his senior year in high school as well. He's probably the youngest player in the SEC.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Holder is starting to worry me a little bit. It seemed like he was starting to lose control of the zone towards the end of last year, especially in the post season. And it seems to have carried over to the fall, he wasn't throwing anything for a strike consistently today

Will James
10-19-2013, 07:50 PM
He should be going into his senior year in high school as well. He's probably the youngest player in the SEC.

Yeah he's 0-14 with 2 sac bunts and a walk. He needs to focus on approach. Early swings often.

Will James
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Holder is starting to worry me a little bit. It seemed like he was starting to lose control of the zone towards the end of last year, especially in the post season. And it seems to have carried over to the fall, he wasn't throwing anything for a strike consistently today

It's REALLY early in fall scrimmages.

bully99
10-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Todd, Swinarski turned 18 in July, so he's not as young as some think. He would have been 19 if he had come in next fall. I'm thinking that's one of the reasons he came a year early. Just speculation.

AlSwearengen
10-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Will, thanks for the briefing. Can you describe some of the young pitchers? Maybe talk about their pitches a little bit, such as good curve or slider, etc.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2013, 08:44 PM
My comment is we are going to be better offensively than 2013. If Paul young is hurt then not good. I hope he won't have TJ surgery.

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Remember what I said the other day about closers. They are adrenaline junkies- they thrive on pressure. A scrimmage is like hanging out in the library for them.

In the postseason it seemed like he was over excited- as was the rest of our team. Plus, remember historically Central Arkansas had hit him well. He looked good against Virginia and then he started to get squeezed by the umpire which eliminated his curveball. We had some big time defensive lapses that weren't his fault on some balls that weren't hit hard in the postseason at times- which of course was not his fault most of the time.

He had a good season in the Cape Cod League outside of one outing where they left him out there to rot.

All of that is to say- he'll be fine and Butch will get him fixed up if there are any problems.

Will James
10-19-2013, 09:05 PM
I like the lefty matchup the Irby kid gives us. I want to say he's only been used to face lefties so far and with great results. Not overpowering stuff but his delivery and movement will be useful.

Hope to see us bullpen the hell out of our opponents every weekend and wear their arms out with Detz-like AB's and Garner/Rea/Humpries- like XBH's