PDA

View Full Version : True Detective Season 3

BeardoMSU
01-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Just watched the first 2 episodes (they both aired on the same night, actually).

Obviously season 1 is in a league of it's own, but damn...season 3 has started really well. I'm hooked.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Duckdawg
01-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Definitely has promise, already is better than season two.

BeardoMSU
02-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Liked the season overall, but found the finale pretty lame....

CadaverDawg
02-25-2019, 01:48 AM
Finale was weak. Season had promise, but that ending left me going..."so all of this shit to find out the boy died from tripping and hitting his head and the girl is better off now than she was?" I was expecting some wild effed up ending with some type of trafficking or maybe even more tying it to Season 1 like it referenced the episode before...but nope. Basically it was a documentary about 10's of fictional years wasted to find out a little boy died by accident, and a little girl was kidnapped and now has a great life. It was better than season 2, but consider me underwhelmed

BeardoMSU
02-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Finale was weak. Season had promise, but that ending left me going..."so all of this shit to find out the boy died from tripping and hitting his head and the girl is better off now than she was?" I was expecting some wild effed up ending with some type of trafficking or maybe even more tying it to Season 1 like it referenced the episode before...but nope. Basically it was a documentary about 10's of fictional years wasted to find out a little boy died by accident, and a little girl was kidnapped and now has a great life. It was better than season 2, but consider me underwhelmed

Yep, pretty much how I feel about it. The pacing of the season was very odd too. I also found it unfortunate they spent the last 20 minutes of the episode focusing on the husband/wife relationship, which was the weakest part of the show, IMO.

I really liked Roland and Purple's relationship, and thought their characters were great. Michael Rooker (Mr. Hoyte) appearing in the finale was cool, too...wish he had been more central to the story, though.

BeardoMSU
02-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Also, the use of flash-back exposition in the finale was horrid....1, it looked terrible...just poorly done visually; 2, it's just a cheap and clunky way of cramming in a bunch of important plot info at the end of a show you've spend 7 episodes unpacking; and 3, as you said, Cadaver...you're left with "all of this journey, and that's what really happened?"....

CadaverDawg
02-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I thought way too much time was spent on the husband/wife relationship. Why? Like you said, The best relationship line was Roland and Purple's, but instead they spent basically half the season showing us the married life of Purple, which didn't really even matter in the outcome.

That kidnap story was a good one for a Law and Order episode on cable, but I was looking for more hardcore and creepy out of a HBO series that brought us the weird crap that season 1 brought us. I just feel like they wasted a good opportunity this season with a great starting storyline and great main characters, but a pretty tame middle and end. Like you said, lacked action and the flashbacks were tiresome. That being said, I thought Roland and Purple's characters were great.