PDA

View Full Version : Kyler Murray wants 15 million or headed to nfl draft

msstate7
01-14-2019, 09:44 AM
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/13/report-kyler-murray-wants-15-million-from-as-or-he-will-enter-nfl-draft/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick

A's have to be really regretting drafting Murray about right now. Looks like A's may give him mlb contract to keep him

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2019, 09:50 AM
If I'm Oakland, here's what I'd say.

He's just not that type of baseball player.

https://media.giphy.com/media/iJxHzcuNcCJXi/giphy.gif

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 09:53 AM
He obviously wants to play football, cause he ain't getting that.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2019, 09:58 AM
I know the guy is a talented athlete - but does he translate to the NFL? He seems small. Is he Mick Vick? Or more like RG3? I think he gets pounded in the NFL.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 10:01 AM
I know the guy is a talented athlete - but does he translate to the NFL? He seems small. Is he Mick Vick? Or more like RG3? I think he gets pounded in the NFL.

Listed at 5'11" 195. That's Russell Wilson's height, but 20 lbs lighter. Murray needs to run to be successful... not sure he's built to take the punishment. I also doubt he's actually 5'11" 195

StarkVegasSteve
01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
He's not worth an MLB contract right now. It'll take him 4 years minimum to be in line for an MLB call up. Not saying he couldn't do it if he just focused on baseball, but he's always going to have that itch to play football.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Listed at 5'11" 195. That's Russell Wilson's height, but 20 lbs lighter. Murray needs to run to be successful... not sure he's built to take the punishment. I also doubt he's actually 5'11" 195

I saw a listing at 5'10" 190 - so who knows. Usually college adds an inch or 2 and 10 lbs to the listing. I know he should parlay this into as much $ as he can get - but, if I'm an NFL GM I don't know that I could pull the trigger on drafting him. Especially if my OL isn't top half of the league.

MetEdDawg
01-14-2019, 10:42 AM
If I'm a team that sucks and is drafting high and needs a QB right now, I'm not touching Kyler Murray or any other QB in this draft. Kyler is going to come in at 5'8" or 5'9". I'm not convinced he's can manage the NFL at that height, but outside of the athleticism, I'm not sure he's an NFL QB.

So I'm going to take one of these nasty DL so I can have a defensive game changer in the trenches. It's not going to produce wins right away, but I'm waiting until next NFL Draft to get QB's like Fromm, Tua, Herbert, Costello, and a few others that could be program changers.

The 2019 draft class looks really garbage compared to the 2020 class in almost every position except DL. You might see the draft be more about getting value this year and setting up for 2020.

Jack Lambert
01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

Will he get that in football?

Matty Dispatch
01-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Pretty much every team in the NFL is set at QB. And for the 2 or 3 that aren't, there's Joe Flacco or Nick Foles to trade for plus the Ohio State QB to draft. Murray could enter the NFL Draft, but he will be taken in the 4th round or something and get offered the same contract Dak got - which is for less than $1 mil per year. Then he'll decide baseball is a better option. NFL GMs know he would do this, so they aren't even going to waste a pick in the 4th round. He'll get drafted in the 7th round and be offered the league minimum + a $25K signing bonus. A's would be stupid to give in. He'll be playing baseball in July regardless.

StarkVegasSteve
01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Pretty much every team in the NFL is set at QB. And for the 2 or 3 that aren't, there's Joe Flacco or Nick Foles to trade for plus the Ohio State QB to draft. Murray could enter the NFL Draft, but he will be taken in the 4th round or something and get offered the same contract Dak got - which is for less than $1 mil per year. Then he'll decide baseball is a better option. NFL GMs know he would do this, so they aren't even going to waste a pick in the 4th round. He'll get drafted in the 7th round and be offered the league minimum + a $25K signing bonus. A's would be stupid to give in. He'll be playing baseball in July regardless.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. The Redskins, Giants, Jags, Raiders and Dolphins are all said to be in the market for a new starter. While I believe the Chargers, Bengals, and Saints will need to start looking for their next QB who could be ready in 2-4 years. Now I do believe Foles could be a stop gap for any of the immediate need QB teams, we know NFL GMs are always looking for their next franchise QB. So there'll be a team that's dumb enough to use a 1st rounder on Murray. I could see any of those teams maybe outside of the Giants that would be willing to pick Murray if he was available.

parabrave
01-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Well there is always a Mark Synder or Mark Davis out there and they are known to throw money away on half decent QBs.

GreenheadDawg
01-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Johnny Manziel 2.0 without the character flaws. He won’t do well in the NFL

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Doubtful but not out of the question. But he can easily get what he's getting in baseball.

1bigdawg
01-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Doubtful but not out of the question. But he can easily get what he's getting in baseball.

You're saying he is a sure 1st rounder and I don't believe that's right. He is very talented "athlete," but he won't lst as a light 5'9" or shorter QB.

bulldawg28
01-14-2019, 12:11 PM

He'll get $15 million easily in the NFL. Yes his talent will translate.

bulldawg28
01-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Some of you guys are stretching. The Cardinals new coach has the #1 pick and he's already said he'd draft him at #1. Even if he doesn't he's going 1st round. His stats are better than the #1 pick in Mayfield.

bulldawg28
01-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Johnny Manziel 2.0 without the character flaws. He won’t do well in the NFL

Manziel couldn't carry the jockstrap of Murray

msstate7
01-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Some of you guys are stretching. The Cardinals new coach has the #1 pick and he's already said he'd draft him at #1. Even if he doesn't he's going 1st round. His stats are better than the #1 pick in Mayfield.

Anyone but bosa #1 is a huge fail by the cardinals

Irondawg
01-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Murray would have to be drafted essentially in the Top 12 of the NFL draft to get $15M. So the question is really two part:

1) How good a baseball player do the A's think he is
2) Where does he really project in NFL drafts (latest CBS mock has him 6th)

This is really him using all the leverage at his disposal to make sure he gets paid. I wonder if he goes football, how long do the A's retain his rights?

One thing is for sure, he's changed the game from everyone after him. MLB teams will make it much harder for an athlete, particularly a QB to play football if they are going to give him big money

bulldawg28
01-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Anyone but bosa #1 is a huge fail by the cardinals

Based off what? His brother? He's injury prone just like his brother

msstate7
01-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Based off what? His brother? He's injury prone just like his brother

Based on he's a freak pass rusher. Bosa, Peterson, chandler jones, and Swearinger is the makings of an elite defense. Put some talent around Rosen. Goff had a tough rookie season too, but better talent and offensive coaching turned him around quick

Johnson85
01-14-2019, 12:52 PM

I don't know if it's about wanting to play football versus maximizing his up front guaranteed money. He's going to get less than $5M guaranteed from baseball, and I think that requires him to play for 5 years or else he has to give it back. And he basically makes peanuts until he makes an MLB roster, and then has to wait before he gets to do arbitration/free agency?

IF he gets drafted with the last pick of the first round, I think he'll get close to a $10M contract, with $5M guaranteed (and realistically he'd make most of it b/c he probably wouldn't be cut in teh first couple of years, even if he was a bust pick). If he flames out, he'd still be young enough to chase baseball but with a lot of money in the bank.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 03:36 PM
He declared

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001010695/article/kyler-murray-declares-intention-to-enter-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url=story&zoneKeys=s1=story&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr=around-the-league;team=sf;team=mia;team=ne;team=chi;team=la;t eam=no;team=phi;team=car;team=atl;team=ind;team=ny j;team=was;team=min;team=nyg;team=tb;team=ten;team =cin;team=hou;team=buf;team=jax;team=oak;team=gb;t eam=kc;team=den;team=arz;team=bal;team=pit;team=da l;team=clv;team=sea;team=det;team=lac;conf=nfc;con f=afc;dvsn=ncw;dvsn=ace;dvsn=ncn;dvsn=ncs;dvsn=nce ;dvsn=acs;dvsn=acn;dvsn=acw&p.ct=Around%20the%20NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=#fff&p.bgc1m=#0964bf&p.bgc2m=#053a74&sr=amp

Ifyouonlyknew
01-14-2019, 04:37 PM
He's going top half of the 1st Rd.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 04:43 PM
No way I'd take him top half of the first round. Not sure I would 1st round. He's 5'9 and I don't think he's as good as Mayfield. Going to really be limited in the NFL in IMO. He couldn't even win the QB job until he transferred and waited on Mayfield to leave. I just don't see him being successful and thus being a risky pick.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 04:47 PM
He's going top half of the 1st Rd.

1. Cards
2. 49ers
3. Jets
4. Raiders
5. Bucs
6. Giants
7. Jags
8. Lions
9. Bills
10. Broncos
11. Bengals
12. Packers
13. Dolphins
14. Falcons
15. Redskins
16. Panthers

That's the top half. With Haskins being clear #1 and only lock perhaps rated higher than kyler, this shakes out pretty well for Murray. Jags, giants, broncos, perhaps dolphins, and redskins looking for a qb

msstate7
01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
No way I'd take him top half of the first round. Not sure I would 1st round. He's 5'9 and I don't think he's as good as Mayfield. Going to really be limited in the NFL in IMO. He couldn't even win the QB job until he transferred and waited on Mayfield to leave. I just don't see him being successful and thus being a risky pick.

I don't think he's a top 15 nfl talent, but he's a QB, so who knows

Scared_Hitless
01-14-2019, 05:02 PM
He will go top 10 whether or not he can last an NFL season is TBD. He just wont slip far to much talent and wow factor for teams to pass him up.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 05:30 PM
I don't know if it's about wanting to play football versus maximizing his up front guaranteed money. He's going to get less than $5M guaranteed from baseball, and I think that requires him to play for 5 years or else he has to give it back. And he basically makes peanuts until he makes an MLB roster, and then has to wait before he gets to do arbitration/free agency?

IF he gets drafted with the last pick of the first round, I think he'll get close to a $10M contract, with $5M guaranteed (and realistically he'd make most of it b/c he probably wouldn't be cut in teh first couple of years, even if he was a bust pick). If he flames out, he'd still be young enough to chase baseball but with a lot of money in the bank.

He's said he prefers football.

Irondawg
01-14-2019, 05:59 PM
yeah I'm pretty iffy on his NFL projections but there a ton of teams that hate their QB room.

StarkVegasSteve
01-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Baker Mayfield being as good as he was will help Murray out more than anything.

Quaoarsking
01-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Smart move. He's only 21, so if it's clear after a couple years that he's not going to make in the NFL, he can fall back to baseball and still be the age of an old college player.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
How many Tools does Kyler Murray have?

Irondawg
01-15-2019, 01:10 AM
Interesting some scouts have told our old boy Ian R. that he's a 2nd or 3rd round pick in their eyes.

Jarius
01-15-2019, 05:09 AM
1. Cards
2. 49ers
3. Jets
4. Raiders
5. Bucs
6. Giants
7. Jags
8. Lions
9. Bills
10. Broncos
11. Bengals
12. Packers
13. Dolphins
14. Falcons
15. Redskins
16. Panthers

That's the top half. With Haskins being clear #1 and only lock perhaps rated higher than kyler, this shakes out pretty well for Murray. Jags, giants, broncos, perhaps dolphins, and redskins looking for a qb

Man, with the right system in place, Kyler and Barkley in the same offense with OBJ would be pretty tough to deal with IMO. Eli has held that team back for the past few years.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2019, 08:26 AM
How many Tools does Kyler Murray have?

If he was 6' like baker he'd be clearly a Top 5 pick. He outperformed Baker season from last year.