PDA

View Full Version : Surprised that that the rams run so much on cowboys? There was a reason...

msstate7
01-14-2019, 07:35 AM
"...The Cowboys don?t blitz often under defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, so they rely on stunts with their four defensive linemen to disrupt the backfield. A stunt is when a defensive lineman (or usually multiple defensive linemen) attacks a different gap than the one he is lined up across from. The goal is to confuse opposing offensive linemen by having multiple defenders crash to a different spot than expected and then use the chaos to disrupt the backfield. But stunts depend on the element of surprise, and during Los Angeles?s film study in the week leading up to their game against Dallas, the Rams discovered that the Cowboys defensive line was tipping whether they were going to stunt based on how they aligned before the snap...."

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/1/13/18179269/rams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

Irondawg
01-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Very interesting and surprised no one picked up on this earlier given how many coaches and analyst each team has watching film.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-14-2019, 08:41 AM
I think Marinelli is stepping down...I hope they have enough sense to fire Leniham.... never understood how that guy got that job anyway....

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Very interesting and surprised no one picked up on this earlier given how many coaches and analyst each team has watching film.

Happens every year in the MLB playoffs.

Teams put forth a significant amount of resources in discovering when players are tipping. The Rams organization just beat the Cowboys organization in this particular contest.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Colts exploited the same thing weeks before.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Colts exploited the same thing weeks before.

Too bad for the cowboys the colts weren't looking for pats on the back like the rams. Can't believe the rams talked about this.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 09:51 AM
I don't think the Rams are that great. Goff hasn't been good the second half of this season. I think the Saints will roll the Rams if they play well. Only concern is Peat trying to block Donald or Suh.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 09:53 AM
I don't think the Rams are that great. Goff hasn't been good the second half of this season. I think the Saints will roll the Rams if they play well. Only concern is Peat trying to block Donald or Suh.

Yeah, peat was bad yesterday. He injured his wrist against the panthers. I'm beginning to think that wrist is a bigger issue than believed

DancingRabbit
01-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Garrett has already given Linehan the dreaded vote of confidence.

Obviously it doesn't mean anything. Garrett's not going to fire him on radio.

parabrave
01-14-2019, 11:15 AM

In other words Jerry Jones says keep him cause he runs my 1964 Arky offense.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 11:23 AM
They're extending Linehan. Jerry thinks everything is great. While the top 4 offenses in the NFL are still playing.

MetEdDawg
01-14-2019, 11:41 AM
If they are extending him that's absolutely awful. That organization is terrible. They are most likely not going to get Dak any help (as has been mentioned the best 4 offenses are the 4 teams remaining) and they will probably do nothing to upgrade their staff.

The biggest problem the Cowboys have right now is that Kellen Moore is the QB coach. Go get someone that knows QB's and can actually help Dak grow and develop. The fact Kellen Moore is the QB coach is absolute insanity.

BeardoMSU
01-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Holy shit.....

DownwardDawg
01-14-2019, 11:42 AM
They're extending Linehan. Jerry thinks everything is great. While the top 4 offenses in the NFL are still playing.

I really wish Dak could go somewhere where he could flourish.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-14-2019, 12:04 PM
The truth is that Dak did a poor job of stopping the Rams' running game. Dak got blown off the ball by the Rams' offensive line pretty often, and other times he didn't fill the correct gap. Clearly Eli would have stopped the Rams' running game. So the Cowboys will never win with Dak at QB because he can't stop the run.

Sincerely,
Every Ole Miss fan on twitter

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2019, 01:45 PM
If they are extending him that's absolutely awful. That organization is terrible. They are most likely not going to get Dak any help (as has been mentioned the best 4 offenses are the 4 teams remaining) and they will probably do nothing to upgrade their staff.

The biggest problem the Cowboys have right now is that Kellen Moore is the QB coach. Go get someone that knows QB's and can actually help Dak grow and develop. The fact Kellen Moore is the QB coach is absolute insanity.

My buddy and I have been talking about this all year. You don't have a veteran to help Dak along with a guy who probably should be an analyst or something other than QB Coach. Jerry seems to be going the cheap route especially on the coaching staff. It will be interesting if he opens up the checkbook to sign Lawrence this year.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Yeah, peat was bad yesterday. He injured his wrist against the panthers. I'm beginning to think that wrist is a bigger issue than believed

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Saints? left guard Andrus Peat struggled Sunday, but there?s a reason for it. Hunt broke his hand in Saints? final regular-season game, underwent surgery during the bye week, then played Sunday vs. Eagles through serious pain, per source.

Figured this was case. Peat is very good when healthy. May need to stick bushrod in at LG

parabrave
01-14-2019, 02:41 PM
@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Saints? left guard Andrus Peat struggled Sunday, but there?s a reason for it. Hunt broke his hand in Saints? final regular-season game, underwent surgery during the bye week, then played Sunday vs. Eagles through serious pain, per source.

Figured this was case. Peat is very good when healthy. May need to stick bushrod in at LG

He did a good job with that hand in a cast. Fletcher and Bennett and the Eagles sold out to stop the and they did until the 4th. Peat did get a BS holding call on him which got a TD called back.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Buccaneers or Giants would be a good fit for Dak...

RougeDawg
01-14-2019, 08:38 PM
As much as Linehan sucks and appears to have early onset, Dak can excel in this offense. If he worked on seeing more of the field he will improve. Many games I watched, he missed seeing receivers rubbing wide open and tried to. Back down. Against the Rams he had receivers running free at least a half dozen times and never looked their way. He needs to work on that part of his game this off season. Getting cooper really elevated his game because they had a GR hitter to stretch defenses. If Dak can improve his vision and speed up progressions, he can be a 4500+ yard passer.

The rams are no slouches defensively and Dallas was a few plays away from winning the game, even as the defense sucked. Dak got better throughout the season. Gallup got better too. If they stay on this trajectory, and keep the key offensive weapons they should have an adequate offense for years to come, even with Shitehan.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 08:47 PM
There?s a comment in the new cbs mock draft suggesting the Steelers could trade Antonio brown for a 2nd round pick. Do the cowboys have the cap room to pull something like off and still sign cooper and extend dak? I have no idea if the Steelers would actually trade brown

ETA... I don?t think the saints could work brown?s money in, but dang, brees, Kamara, brown, and Thomas would be sick

RougeDawg
01-14-2019, 09:57 PM
There?s a comment in the new cbs mock draft suggesting the Steelers could trade Antonio brown for a 2nd round pick. Do the cowboys have the cap room to pull something like off and still sign cooper and extend dak? I have no idea if the Steelers would actually trade brown

ETA... I don?t think the saints could work brown?s money in, but dang, brees, Kamara, brown, and Thomas would be sick

Saints need to start planning for post Brees. Could groom a backup like Rodgers did in Green Bay. Bridgewater isn?t the successor.

msstate7
01-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Saints need to start planning for post Brees. Could groom a backup like Rodgers did in Green Bay. Bridgewater isn?t the successor.

Win it all this year. Brees retire. Play taysom as starter. We go 3-13 and draft jake Fromm

Or...

Brees and saints win next 2 then play hill and draft Trevor Lawrence

I?ll settle for saints just winning this year haha

Pit Bull
01-14-2019, 10:05 PM
"...The Cowboys don?t blitz often under defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, so they rely on stunts with their four defensive linemen to disrupt the backfield. A stunt is when a defensive lineman (or usually multiple defensive linemen) attacks a different gap than the one he is lined up across from. The goal is to confuse opposing offensive linemen by having multiple defenders crash to a different spot than expected and then use the chaos to disrupt the backfield. But stunts depend on the element of surprise, and during Los Angeles?s film study in the week leading up to their game against Dallas, the Rams discovered that the Cowboys defensive line was tipping whether they were going to stunt based on how they aligned before the snap...."

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/1/13/18179269/rams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

Dallas has been really good against the run most of the year. Then all of a sudden, they looked lost vs the Rams. They absolutely shut down Brees and the Saints earlier including Ingram and that RB from UT. IMO, Dallas overall D was better than Philly. Had they gone to N. Orleans instead of LA, I think they beat the Saints a 2nd time. Saints were fortunate to get Philly instead of Dallas. Nonetheless, Dak had a pretty good year. Next year is his money year. Let's see if Jerruh values him as much as everyone thinks. We shall see. BTW, I now think the Saints will win it all. Especially since Chicago is eliminated. Probably KC vs NO in the SuperBowl.

RougeDawg
01-14-2019, 11:07 PM
Win it all this year. Brees retire. Play taysom as starter. We go 3-13 and draft jake Fromm

Or...

Brees and saints win next 2 then play hill and draft Trevor Lawrence

I?ll settle for saints just winning this year haha

I was just stating that management needs to start building for post Drew with this draft.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Jerry Jones should throw one of his Grandson’s inheritance at Sean Payton to coach The Cowboys.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-15-2019, 07:30 AM
I was just stating that management needs to start building for post Drew with this draft.

Saints traded away a lot of picks in this draft to move up for Marcus Davenport, and to get Teddy Bridgewater and Eli Apple. They only have a second rounder, a fifth rounder, 2 sixth rounders, and 2 seventh rounders. So it's going to be hard to do it in this draft when you only have one pick in the first four rounds.