PDA

View Full Version : Stansbury

DownwardDawg
01-12-2019, 10:48 PM
How much would it cost to get him back? We haven?t been the same since he left. We are a joke now.

ScoobaDawg
01-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Hell no. and I love the guy.

DownwardDawg
01-12-2019, 10:52 PM
I’d be thrilled. I want to win.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2019, 10:54 PM
I want to win.

The retread to retread all retreads.

Dawg61
01-12-2019, 10:58 PM
No

Charlie_Sheen420
01-12-2019, 11:45 PM
How much would it cost to get him back? We haven?t been the same since he left. We are a joke now.
We had become a joke with him, his players were literally running the program, and we couldn’t even make the NIT at the end it was so ridiculous. By the way he’s currently 8-8 at wku...not like he’s coaching them up or anything...he was a “recruiter” more than a coach...looking similar to Howland at the moment, but hopefully Howland turns it around by seasons end...

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2019, 09:41 AM
I’d be thrilled. I want to win.
Then go get Richard Williams off the radio and tell him the first time he looks at a Pom girl his balls go in a salad shooter.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-13-2019, 11:06 AM
There are reasons Williams, Stans and Kermit Jr are not coaching at MSU and all the reasons are their fault.

shannondawg
01-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Never a good idea to bring anybody back. Polk is an excellent example of that. There's a reason they left in the first place.

dawg meat
01-13-2019, 11:44 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/0138ba2e459594f12d14f8c510f9f955/tenor.gif?itemid=4963410

dawgday166
01-13-2019, 12:16 PM
What about Gottfried or Brady maybe ********

Stans, Gottfried, Brady all on a par with each other. At least Gottfried made Elite 8 and Brady made Final Four.

timotheus
01-13-2019, 12:49 PM
If this occurs, it'll have to be somebody with a quiet ego. Cohen appears to want to be the dominant personality on campus.

RocketDawg
01-13-2019, 03:57 PM
What about Gottfried or Brady maybe ********

Stans, Gottfried, Brady all on a par with each other. At least Gottfried made Elite 8 and Brady made Final Four.

Andy Kennedy?

RougeDawg
01-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Not this shit again.

ZedFedder
01-13-2019, 04:25 PM
We got rid of Stansbury for the same things we complain about with Howland...

tcdog70
01-13-2019, 04:44 PM
We got rid of Stansbury for the same things we complain about with Howland...

Not really. Stans beat the Rebs like a rented Mule.

ZedFedder
01-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Very different Rebel teams than the one we faced Saturday.

Dawg61
01-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Yea vs Rod Barnes. Wow.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Williams sucked overall. He had 2 very good teams in 95 and 96 and other than that he was below average.

OSCAR
01-14-2019, 12:25 AM

First, let me say that I don’t believe Kermit will leave OM after 1 year and take our job after what went down during the RR hire. However, if it did, how fun would it be for us to hire Kermit and OM to hire Stans? Talk about cranking up the rivalry.

Sienfield
01-14-2019, 07:34 AM
If we hired Stans we could get Coach34 back on a regular basis.

MadDawg
01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
I don't want to hire Stans back. I just want to get the program back to the level that got him fired.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 10:22 AM
We're already at that NIT level. That's where Stans had us.

MadDawg
01-14-2019, 11:48 AM

I guess that's fair. 10 years later and we've finally made the great strides necessary to reach an unacceptable level.

Acid mouth
01-14-2019, 02:59 PM

What rock have you been living under?? 6 NCAA tourney appearances and 5 NITs in 14 seasons at State. Not that I want our all time winningest coach back now (cause I don't) but don't act like he had us at merely an NIT team during his tenure. He set a standard for MSU basketball that hasn't be reached since. And I'm giving Howland a 50/50 chance of surviving if he misses the NCAA tourney this year with all the talented roster on our roster.

dawgday166
01-14-2019, 03:03 PM
but don't act like he had us at merely an NIT team during his tenure.

I believe he meant the last 3 or so years. And regardless, he never got out of the 2nd round of tourney.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2019, 03:04 PM
If we hired Stans we could get Coach34 back on a regular basis.

The best reason I've heard NOT to rehire him.

Acid mouth
01-14-2019, 03:21 PM
I believe he meant the last 3 or so years. And regardless, he never got out of the 2nd round of tourney.
Well we have one NIT appearance since he left so I'll take the early exit in the NCAA tourney rather than the product I've watched over the last 7 years. I do believe Howland gets us in the NCAA tourney this year but if we continue to play selfish and refuse to hustle on D, we won't make it to the 2nd round.

Johnson85
01-14-2019, 03:58 PM
What rock have you been living under?? 6 NCAA tourney appearances and 5 NITs in 14 seasons at State. Not that I want our all time winningest coach back now (cause I don't) but don't act like he had us at merely an NIT team during his tenure. He set a standard for MSU basketball that hasn't be reached since. And I'm giving Howland a 50/50 chance of surviving if he misses the NCAA tourney this year with all the talented roster on our roster.

He had us at NIT level when he left.

People definitely undervalued what Stans accomplished, but at the same time the team was not in good shape when he left. I think Stans would have bounced back some, but the problem is that he had discipline issues that he was going to have trouble handling. Honestly firing him or not we were probably in for some pain. Where the mistake was was firing him with no plan. They should not have expected a hot name to want to follow Stansbury. At the same time, there were plenty of options between Prohm and Rick Ray. I liked Rick Ray and understand how somebody would be impressed by him in an interview, but it's laughable that anybody associated with that hire felt qualified to identify an unknown assistant as the most qualified candidate.

Now, if we end up out of the tourney this year, it will be a completely valid criticism that we are this far into Howland's tenure and we are basically at the level Stans left us, but without the major locker room problems (although presumably some locker room problems for this team to not make the tourney).

jwells
01-14-2019, 04:02 PM
I think Stansbury would be a terrible idea for the future of the program. A retread almost never achieves the level of success they had the 1st time especially returning to the same school. Secondly, as we have seen with Howland in my opinion, coaches lose their edge after a few stops.

Dawg61
01-14-2019, 05:00 PM
Stansbury didn't get retired because he had us at a bubble level every year he got retired because he had over 30 misses (transfers, quit, kicked off etc) on players over the last eight years of his career and he'd let the program turn into a total shit show with players like Sidney walking up the court and Smith smoking into permanent brain damage with gas station synthetic pine needles weed. Everyone was a cancer on the team. Dee Bost was the worst offender and that seems damn impossible with Renardo Sidney fating around. Again Stansbury didn't get retired because of the team's success or lack off at the end. He got retired because he ran a joke of a program that had players fighting in the stands in wifebeaters. Zero discipline anywhere around that shit show. That gets you retired eventually every time.

Captain Falcon
01-14-2019, 05:08 PM
If y’all thought Polk II was bad... Stans II would be a disaster. I know that the Ray era was awful and it’s makes the end of Stansbury’s run look not so bad by comparison. But his last few years were a train wreck off the court and a huge amount of underachieving on the court.

TrapGame
01-14-2019, 05:16 PM
If we hire Stans back might as well hire Sydney as his strength and conditioning coach.

Jack Lambert
01-14-2019, 05:18 PM
I don't want to retread our retread. At assistant coaches ok but HC I do not. Now if we could get the Richard Williams and Stands combination we had before Coach Williams started fooling around would be great.

Dawg61
01-14-2019, 05:22 PM
I'm actually friends with a player that was on his WKU roster. Stansbury hasn't changed one bit. Those of you wanting him back are morons.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Williams sucked overall. He had 2 very good teams in 95 and 96 and other than that he was below average.

He also won the SEC in 92

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2019, 06:14 PM
He also won the SEC in 92

It was 90'-'91 season not '92. We sucked in '92.

Turfdawg67
01-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Personally I'd love Stans 2.0... not ready to give up on Howland, but gosh damn!

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2019, 06:42 PM
It was 90'-'91 season not '92. We sucked in '92.

Gotcha, I'm getting old. I DO remember that day though. The only other game in any sport that had an atmosphere like that that I've been to was '14 Auburn football. It was wild as heck. We hadn't had much success in any sport other than baseball in a long time. That game was a celebration of epic proportions.

shannondawg
01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
We had become a joke with him, his players were literally running the program, and we couldn?t even make the NIT at the end it was so ridiculous. By the way he?s currently 8-8 at wku...not like he?s coaching them up or anything...he was a ?recruiter? more than a coach...looking similar to Howland at the moment, but hopefully Howland turns it around by seasons end...

I agree we don't need him back, coming back is just not an option in my opinion.

But a guy with the moniker Charlie Sheen calling something else a joke is hilarious to me.

tcdog70
01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Yea vs Rod Barnes. Wow.

Against whom ever was the Coach--he would still be kicking that Reb ass--book it.

tcdog70
01-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Very different Rebel teams than the one we faced Saturday.

WTF does that mean--we are different also--I'm saying He killed the REBs--fact--No matter who they had as a Coach. So don't pull some BS quote as why we stomped that mud hole in their ass.

BiscuitEater
01-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Big Stans fan here .. BUT strong NO. Stans comes back and Coach 34 would come back from the dead and start blasting away!!

BiscuitEater
01-15-2019, 04:18 PM
We had become a joke with him

AND, in his 14 years as MSU HC he beat OM 21 out of 29 times they played (72%). Meanwhile, Rick 17'n Ray had a better win % against OM (33%) than Ben (29%).

Howland has now lost to OM TWICE in the Hump something that NEVER happened in 14 years under Stans.

ScoobaDawg
01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
AND, in his 14 years as MSU HC he beat OM 21 out of 29 times they played (72%). Meanwhile, Rick 17'n Ray had a better win % against OM (33%) than Ben (29%).

Howland has now lost to OM TWICE in the Hump something that NEVER happened in 14 years under Stans.

Guess we should bring croom back because he beat Saban that one time.

Again. Anyone suggesting stans is the best we could do.. If Howland was fired after this year. You are an idiot and what's wrong with our fans. Small minded. Stans beat a horrible coach all those times and we all loved him for winning the west.. Which doesn't even exist anymore.

I love the man but again hell no.

Ari Gold
01-16-2019, 04:38 AM
This thread is to stupid to even close.. keep showing ur ignorance people.

BiscuitEater
01-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Again. Anyone suggesting stans is the best we could do.. If Howland was fired after this year. You are an idiot and what's wrong with our fans. Small minded. Stans beat a horrible coach all those times and we all loved him for winning the west.

Yo Scooba, gonna cut you some slack because you're obviously drunk and will avoid further name calling. Please point out WHERE I called for Stans to be hired. I even posted that he shouldn't in the post right above the one you quoted.

I have supported EVERY BB HC WHILE they were at MSU and continue to support Howland. BUT, pointing out that OUR HCs have NOT beaten our #1 rival especially in the Hump is something most fans want fixed.

Guess we should bring croom back because he beat Saban that one time.

D@mn right 'IF' Croom had had the same winning % as Stans against the SEC west, State would have gone to ATLANTA ~6 times in 14 years. FACT. Besides a 72% win percentage over OM, Stans had a winning record over EVERY SEC West team.

Stans beat a horrible coach all those times and we all loved him for winning the west.. Which doesn't even exist anymore.

He also had ~66% win % over Andy Kennedy and a win % over EVERY SEC West team. Guess they ALL had horrible HCs too! By the way, those 'horrible' OM coaches have beaten MSU more times than not post Stans era. FACT.

My issue has ALWAYS been that Strick fired Stans without having a proven replacement lined up.

tcdog70
01-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Yo Scooba, gonna cut you some slack because you're obviously drunk and will avoid further name calling. Please point out WHERE I called for Stans to be hired. I even posted that he shouldn't in the post right above the one you quoted.

I have supported EVERY BB HC WHILE they were at MSU and continue to support Howland. BUT, pointing out that OUR HCs have NOT beaten our #1 rival especially in the Hump is something most fans want fixed.

D@mn right 'IF' Croom had had the same winning % as Stans against the SEC west, State would have gone to ATLANTA ~6 times in 14 years. FACT. Besides a 72% win percentage over OM, Stans had a winning record over EVERY SEC West team.

He also had ~66% win % over Andy Kennedy and a win % over EVERY SEC West team. Guess they ALL had horrible HCs too! By the way, those 'horrible' OM coaches have beaten MSU more times than not post Stans era. FACT.

My issue has ALWAYS been that Strick fired Stans without having a proven replacement lined up.

Ha-ha--+!--exactly. In any other sport at MSU-if a Coach did what Stans did-we would building Him a Statue.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:01 AM
Lol SEC was dogshit for about two decades there. Only Kentucky and Florida were national powers. The rest of us half-breed schools in the SEC went about 6-93 in the NCAA tourney while Stans was here so congrats on being the prettiest fat chick to us.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Lol SEC was dogshit for about two decades there. Only Kentucky and Florida were national powers. The rest of us half-breed schools in the SEC went about 6-93 in the NCAA tourney while Stans was here so congrats on being the prettiest fat chick to us.

Good point. Today SEC is much stronger than then. Nearly every single team is getting mid to high 4 star or 5 star players now(except for OM). Not the case back then.

MadDawg
01-17-2019, 11:03 AM

LMAO. I'd rather be with a pretty fat chick than a dog-shit ugly, knock-your-ass-down with b.o. chick with greasy hair and a meth-challenged smile. But hey, that's just me.

Ari Gold
01-17-2019, 01:03 PM
If some random person clicked on this thread having no idea what MSU’s basketball record was they would prob guess around 8-8

Ironically you know who is 8-8 and not 13-3...

Western Kentucky...

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
If some random person clicked on this thread having no idea what MSU’s basketball record was they would prob guess around 8-8

Ironically you know who is 8-8 and not 13-3...

Western Kentucky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2WeZUYhCo

ScoobaDawg
01-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Fair enough Biscuit. Sorry. The OP and anyone agreeing with him is the idiot... not you.

BiscuitEater
01-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Only Kentucky and Florida were national powers.

Agree, and those are some of the few in the SEC that we didn't have a winning % against. Guess you like it now .. SEC has gotten better and we're getting rear ended.

I liked it better when we were competitive and hope Howland get's this group to care about winning.

Scared_Hitless
01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Wonder if Ron Polk is still longing to come back to MSU** Lets get the old band back together, hell give Sly a call too.

Dawg61
01-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Agree, and those are some of the few in the SEC that we didn't have a winning % against. Guess you like it now .. SEC has gotten better and we're getting rear ended.

I liked it better when we were competitive and hope Howland get's this group to care about winning.

Lol 14 years of Stansbury's shit was enough for me and by shit I mean everything else about the program besides a good winning % vs an annually poor schedule. Lack of discipline, no strength program, mass transfers, drug problems, players walking up the court, the Standsbury Stall that cost us many games, players fighting in the stands, the bad losses to OOC teams and the never once getting us to the 2nd weekend in the tourney. 14 years is a long time to give one guy. It was time to give another guy a chance.

sleepy dawg
01-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Wonder if Ron Polk is still longing to come back to MSU** Lets get the old band back together, hell give Sly a call too.

With Sly's play-calling, Stands' leadership and player development, and Polk's cut-throat recruiting tactics and amazing ability to not pay too much attention to the lack of scholarships, we could be sports or something.

dawgday166
01-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Lol 14 years of Stansbury's shit was enough for me and by shit I mean everything else about the program besides a good winning % vs an annually poor schedule. Lack of discipline, no strength program, mass transfers, drug problems, players walking up the court, the Standsbury Stall that cost us many games, players fighting in the stands, the bad losses to OOC teams and the never once getting us to the 2nd weekend in the tourney. 14 years is a long time to give one guy. It was time to give another guy a chance.

That's a lucid, well-thought-out, intelligent post on the Stans years. +1

Dawg2003
01-17-2019, 05:36 PM
It's human nature to romanticize and look back fondly on the past. Stans had some good moments, and I'll always like him. But it was time to let him go. It was time to move on. He didn't do anything in the post season either. He's like the Mike Bianco of MSU in that regards.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-18-2019, 06:40 AM
In Stans last 3 games, his teams have blown 21,15 and 16 pt leads and lost all 3.

Bdawg
01-18-2019, 07:32 AM
In Stans last 3 games, his teams have blown 21,15 and 16 pt leads and lost all 3.

Is this the famous stall tactic at work?

shannondawg
01-18-2019, 10:10 AM
I just try to remember packed houses and thunder coming from the stands. That was a good time.

Not many coaches leave on a high note, unless moving on up. Jackie, Polk, Tyler and I do the same for them, clearly bright spots in our somewhat mediocre history.

DownwardDawg
01-18-2019, 11:32 AM
��

jwells
01-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Is this the famous stall tactic at work?

The Stansbury stall was a thing of beauty...(terror)

shannondawg
01-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Rick Stansbury: Head coach 1999-2012. All time winning coach and most hated by Edawgs.

Anything else to add?

Dawg61
01-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Rick Stansbury: Head coach 1999-2012. All time winning coach and most hated by Edawgs.

Anything else to add?

Stansbury isn't hated by MSU fans. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

shannondawg
01-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Read the posts yours included

jwells
01-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Anything else to add?

People can think he was a good coach but admit things were in turmoil at the end and we needed to move on. Now because he is the last memory of success 10 years ago, some misguided people want to bring him back when he doesn't even have an above .500 record at WKU. I don't think anyone here hates Stansbury. Hates how his time ended, yes, because it started the downfall we haven't fully come out of yet.

Turfdawg67
01-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Don't hate Stans at all but for the life of me can't figure out why there are four pages on him.