PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the Hump........

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Nice crowd but still a bunch of empty seats. As for the game, this will be short. The defensive effort in the middle 10 minutes of the he second half is why we lost the game. Sure they were hitting threes but they were getting WIDE open looks. We were just not playing with the intensity we had to have during that stretch on the defensive end. It's rare I'll ever boil a close game down to just one thing, but in this one it was just glaring.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Nice crowd but still a bunch of empty seats. As for the game, this will be short. The defensive effort in the middle 10 minutes of the he second half is why we lost the game. Sure they were hitting threes but they were getting WIDE open looks. We were just not playing with the intensity we had to have during that stretch on the defensive end. It's rare I'll ever boil a close game down to just one thing, but in this one it was just glaring.

Yep exactly what i saw. Came out in second half playing with effort and hustle on defense built a 7 point lead and then just mailed it in after that.

Tbonewannabe
01-12-2019, 06:09 PM
UM also moved the ball really well until they got their shot. We seemed to go back to the one on one or two while jacking up a shot. Our offense reverted to selfish play.

timotheus
01-12-2019, 06:22 PM
That is Ben's MO, just kinda let em play and maybe get hot. If the remaining opponents scout MSU a well as Kermit did, there are going to be some folks really looking towards baseball season.

Pit Bull
01-12-2019, 06:48 PM
That is Ben's MO, just kinda let em play and maybe get hot. If the remaining opponents scout MSU a well as Kermit did, there are going to be some folks really looking towards baseball season.

I promised myself I would transition to baseball if we lost to Ole Miss....and now have done just that. Hopefully, the baseball team can perform at or above our expectations.

MaroonFlounder
01-12-2019, 07:19 PM
I promised myself I would transition to baseball if we lost to Ole Miss....and now have done just that. Hopefully, the baseball team can perform at or above our expectations.

I'm terrified of what happens in 2019 baseball.

We've had some REALLY good teams start 6-12 in SEC play, and Lemon is a first year head coach that was not the guy anyone wanted until Cohen had to settle.

BB30
01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
I'm terrified of what happens in 2019 baseball.

We've had some REALLY good teams start 6-12 in SEC play, and Lemon is a first year head coach that was not the guy anyone wanted until Cohen had to settle.

Oh if baseball starts slow this board will be insufferable. I still have quite a few question marks with our depth on the mound which could equal a slow start until some guys get their feet wet. So don’t be surprised if we are a little slow getting going which would be the situation with any coach state had hired.

maroonmania
01-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Nice crowd but still a bunch of empty seats.

Yep, who are all of these folks that own lower bowl seats that NEVER show up? The upper level may have actually had a higher % full than the lower section but there wasn't one seat not sold in the lower section. Very strange situation. There has to start being a penalty for people that purchase lower bowl tickets that are never used.

The defensive effort in the middle 10 minutes of the he second half is why we lost the game. Sure they were hitting threes but they were getting WIDE open looks.

This team is soft as tissue paper on defense. We have spurts where we play good defense but its probably less than half of any game. Heck, there were a couple of times today where a rebound came out long and none of our guys even seem to go after the ball. And yes, we give up a lot of open shots because we are lazy in rotating around. Its ridiculous that we gave up 77 points in regulation to a poor offensive SC team and then follow that up giving up 81 points to OM AT HOME. We shouldn't have to score 80+ points to have a chance to win an SEC game. There is a reason why teams we play seem to all have great shooting nights against us. We can't ever get any separation from teams because as soon as we go out on a run our defense goes to crap and we give up a run ourselves. We may still make the NCAAs if we can get ourselves together but unless we decide we want to get our hands dirty and play some hard edged defense we won't make it out of the first weekend.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 08:51 PM

The defensive intensity wasn’t there in the middle of the second half because Davis adjusted against our big lineup with a four guard set. Our best lineup against Ole Miss today was Perry at the five, Woodard at the four, and some combination of Carter, Nick, and Q or Peters with Nick running point. We destroyed them in the first half when we brought those three off the bench to take out our starting five. Woodard getting single digit minutes today is why Howland sucks as a coach. He’s washed up man and has no control of this team.

shannondawg
01-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Howland says he regrets not bringing in Woodward in 2nd half. I could have told him that.