PDA

View Full Version : If Howland messes this season up

Coach34
01-12-2019, 05:04 PM
You make him retire, bring Kermit home, and also disrupts OM.

Howland's 1st team should have made the NIT but everyone wanted to give him a pass. Well ok. But now the passes are over. Watching Peters and Q fight for the Alphadog role over and over with Nick unable to find his role gets frustrating. Nothing ever changes on D- straightass man 24/7.

It's put up or shut up this year

msbulldog
01-12-2019, 05:06 PM
I hope so Coach, but I'm afraid we've missed the boat with Kermit.

Coach34
01-12-2019, 05:08 PM
I hope so Coach, but I'm afraid we've missed the boat with Kermit.

We can hire Kermit whenever we want. He wants to beat our ass while he is there- but him retiring as State's coach would be his dream.

Charlie_Sheen420
Kermit will tell us to piss off and will shove it in our faces twice a year at least for the foreseeable future...

Liverpooldawg
You make him retire, bring Kermit home, and also disrupts OM.

Howland's 1st team should have made the NIT but everyone wanted to give him a pass. Well ok. But now the passes are over. Watching Peters and Q fight for the Alphadog role over and over with Nick unable to find his role gets frustrating. Nothing ever changes on D- straightass man 24/7.

It's put up or shut up this year

It's basically the same team as last year with a bit more depth inside. I just don't think we are that good. I'm not sure we Dance if we don't go 500 in the SEC. I'm not sure we can.

Alphadog
Can he recruit?

Jacksondevildog
01-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Not playing Woodard in the second half was criminal. For him to admit that was a mistake is even more glaring. Just damn.

Dawg61
01-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Ship has sailed with Kermit.

Steakonastick
01-12-2019, 05:11 PM
We’d have to make him a top 10 paid coach. He’s already making 2.5 and has almost a million for his staff.

msstate7
01-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Maybe. Cohen never passed on Kermit though, so he can pin it on SS

Coach34
01-12-2019, 05:19 PM

not according to someone thats known him since they were kids.

TXDawg
01-12-2019, 05:26 PM
This wasn’t on Holwland. This was on Peters and Q and their selfish play. How many times did Peters bring the ball upcourt and take a contested BS shot? You think Howland was calling those plays?

msugolf
01-12-2019, 05:28 PM

I hope so. I have a bad feeling about the future of our program if not. Assuming Howland is gone next year or for sure the year after then I don?t see anyone out there that stands out to or who?d even take the job and do as well as Kermit at OM.

I could see us keeping Howland one more year just to let Kermit warm back us up to us and mend bridges.

msugolf
01-12-2019, 05:30 PM
This wasn’t on Holwland. This was on Peters and Q and their selfish play. How many times did Peters bring the ball upcourt and take a contested BS shot? You think Howland was calling those plays?

Howland wasnt and hasnt called plays in 4 years

LC Dawg
01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Hire John Bond as assistant AD and you'll definitely hire Kermit Davis. Athletic department events instantly become more fun also.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Maybe Vic can coach the men's too...

ZedFedder
01-12-2019, 05:35 PM

I’ve seen this said on Twitter and here, and the issue with that thought is that it’s Howland’s job to make sure that doesn’t happen. Did Ole Miss’ players take bad shots? No? Then that’s a good coaching job by Kermit. Any college basketball player and team will be selfish left to his or their own device. It’s the coach’s job to COACH them not to do that. So even if you are correct, it’s still on Howland.

confucius say
01-12-2019, 05:36 PM

That's fine. But it is in howland for not sitting his ass down for a few minutes immediately after said shot. You have to make him understand that isn't acceptable.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2019, 05:59 PM

Is he not bitter about being passed over twice? Even though MSU is home, I gotta think he's pretty grateful to OM for giving him his big chance. Might be tough convincing him to spur them for sloppy thirds.

confucius say
01-12-2019, 06:02 PM
I'd be shocked if OM didn't include a clause preventing him from going to MSU in his contract. Even Bjork isn't that stupid.

Also, howland > Davis

msbulldog
01-12-2019, 06:05 PM
I don't know Bjerk is pretty stupid.

LC Dawg
01-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Woodard scored 7 points in 8 minutes in the 1st half. He played one minute in the 2nd half. This is definitely on Howland.

Pit Bull
01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Kermit will tell us to piss off and will shove it in our faces twice a year at least for the foreseeable future...

Yep.....I think Kermit is going to Van Chancellor our ass.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Howland needs to figure it out. I have zero faith in Cohen's hiring ability. Clearly we should go get Kermit if a change is needed, but do we trust Cohen will do it? He'd rather have an analytical guy with zero connections to this state.

Coach34
01-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Also, howland > Davis

Oh really?

Last 8 seasons- not counting this year:

Howland 2 NCAA's- 1 NCAA win. Double digit losses 7 times
Davis- 3 NCAA's. 2 NCAA wins. Double digit losses only twice

It's not 2008 anymore. Coaches get old

Homedawg
01-12-2019, 07:07 PM

This. Kermit isn't coming home. Won't happen

Coach34
01-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Yep.....I think Kermit is going to Van Chancellor our ass.

Why? Literally nothing hints at that

Van attended State after going to juco
Kermit grew up in Starkville. His Dad coached at State. Kermit played at State

He's mad he didnt get the job earlier- and he will make us pay a little extra money for him- but he would take it in April and never look back

msstate7
01-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Regardless if Kermit will come back or not, howland should be replaced if we don't dance this year. There are a crap load of coaches that could take this team to the ncaa... hopefully howland is one of them. Florida is a must win

confucius say
01-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Oh really?

Last 8 seasons- not counting this year:

Howland 2 NCAA's- 1 NCAA win. Double digit losses 7 times
Davis- 3 NCAA's. 2 NCAA wins. Double digit losses only twice

It's not 2008 anymore. Coaches get old

Do you really want to compare their resumes? Good Lord.

KOdawg1
01-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Regardless if Kermit will come back or not, howland should be replaced if we don't dance this year. There are a crap load of coaches that could take this team to the ncaa... hopefully howland is one of them. Florida is a must win

He should be replaced if we have someone capable lined up to replace him. We can't afford another Rick Ray hire. And I'm not overly confident in Cohen to get it right.

msugolf
01-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Howland recruited his way to a Final 4 at a place that was easy to recruit to. Give Kermit 8 NBA players and 3 nba All-Stars and then let?s compare

DogsofAnarchy
01-12-2019, 07:30 PM
We can hire Kermit whenever we want. He wants to beat our ass while he is there- but him retiring as State's coach would be his dream.

Nah....he wouldn?t do that.

Coach34
01-12-2019, 07:33 PM

I just did. Kermit has been the much better coach for the last 8 seasons. 8 years is a long damn time in the sportsworld.

Alphadog
01-12-2019, 07:34 PM
How has UCLA looked since he left?
I don?t know if howland still has it anymore or not but he definitely did at one time. Again I ask, can Kermit recruit?

AROB44
01-12-2019, 07:36 PM
One thing that can be guaranteed and that is 34 always crapping on our head coaches. No matter the sport, he always knows more. Just wait until baseball season....I am sure he will bring his normal.

Goldendawg
01-12-2019, 07:42 PM
He should be replaced if we have someone capable lined up to replace him. We can't afford another Rick Ray hire. And I'm not overly confident in Cohen to get it right.

How can you say that about Cohen? He hired an offensive genius in FB that improved our O and we stomped KY and Fl. He hired a Nationally known baseball coach that had top experience in the College World Series and everyone knew his name. Oh, wait a minute, never mind.****** We have not had a basketball "team" in three years. Just a bunch of selfish NBA wannabe's in their minds that love to jack three's, won't share the ball, and think defense is what we use to keep in the horses and cows on the South Farm and Vet School. The SC game and today is the reason so many people won't buy available tickets, drive two hours (my case), and park a mile away when the closest parking lots are empty to watch this joke of "team" basketball. None of these selfish individuals will have a NBA careerfor more than a quick cup of coffee, (BTW, I hate the NBA and never watch). Gonna be a long season.

Coach34
01-12-2019, 07:42 PM
One thing that can be guaranteed and that is 34 always crapping on our head coaches. No matter the sport, he always knows more. Just wait until baseball season....I am sure he will bring his normal.

Give Croom another year!!!!! He was SEC COY last season 34??? You're crazy!!!

Coach34
01-12-2019, 07:58 PM
And we actually passed on Kermit once- when we fired Stands. His NCAA issues was something Strick/Keenum didnt want to follow up Stands with. Plus- when we fired Stands- Kermit had only 1 NCAA appearance.

When we fired RR- it was Howland all the way. We didnt pull the trigger on Ray until we knew Howland would take the job. We literally did no coach search

confucius say
01-12-2019, 11:21 PM
I just did. Kermit has been the much better coach for the last 8 seasons. 8 years is a long damn time in the sportsworld.
Not as long as 30.

confucius say
01-12-2019, 11:22 PM
How has UCLA looked since he left?
I don?t know if howland still has it anymore or not but he definitely did at one time. Again I ask, can Kermit recruit?

Never has. Except when he got his team put on probation.

confucius say
01-12-2019, 11:26 PM
And we actually passed on Kermit once- when we fired Stands. His NCAA issues was something Strick/Keenum didnt want to follow up Stands with. Plus- when we fired Stands- Kermit had only 1 NCAA appearance.

When we fired RR- it was Howland all the way. We didnt pull the trigger on Ray until we knew Howland would take the job. We literally did no coach search

Kermit is lucky he did what he did back in the day and only got probation. These days he would have gotten Donnie Tyndall-ed.

dawgs
01-13-2019, 04:13 AM
It's basically the same team as last year with a bit more depth inside. I just don't think we are that good. I'm not sure we Dance if we don't go 500 in the SEC. I'm not sure we can.

Even if it's the same team with a little more depth, don't you think we should expect improvement?

timotheus
01-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Not with the no attention to detail this team is allowed to display.

confucius say
01-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Howland recruited his way to a Final 4 at a place that was easy to recruit to. Give Kermit 8 NBA players and 3 nba All-Stars and then let?s compare

Recruiting is the most important part of being a college coach in any sport. It's why saban is the best ever.

basedog
01-13-2019, 11:47 AM
As for as Msu not hiring him, there was a big issue and reason, go ask the Aggies. Faulting Msu for not hiring him is wrong at those two times, it is Kermit fault for not following the rules and getting caught.

Yes Ben my have peaked out with is age, but all you got to do is look at history, we along with every Sec not named Kentucky have not been consistent and actually not a good basketball conference.

Btw, yes Kermit is a good Coach who is driven to prove a point, but he also is getting up there in age, we shall see how all this plays out. I'm not sure what the true answer is for Msu and our basketball program, the days of Babe have been long gone and as for as greatness in our program it hasn't been very good and probably never will.

P.S. I forgot who is giving 20 points to Msu in Oxford, I'm all in, where do I place my bet and give me those odds?

MarketingBully
01-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Every game is a must win from here on out. If this team played with fight and desire, we could go on a long win streak. To get back on track where we want to be, this team needs to win at Rupp now.

Homedawg
01-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Every game is a must win from here on out. If this team played with fight and desire, we could go on a long win streak. To get back on track where we want to be, this team needs to win at Rupp now.

We will win some games. But if you can't hold serve against ole miss and beat usc in the road, I ask again who will we beat? We need 12 wins in the league, and I see a several more losses. The math gets tough after those two ass ups.

confucius say
01-13-2019, 08:30 PM
We will win some games. But if you can't hold serve against ole miss and beat usc in the road, I ask again who will we beat? We need 12 wins in the league, and I see a several more losses. The math gets tough after those two ass ups.

Need 12 wins to do what?

Captain Falcon
01-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Need 12 wins to do what?

Yeah, with our nonconference resume 9-9 should get us in the Big Dance. 8-10 might do it if we have a strong run in the SEC Tourney.

Dawg61
01-13-2019, 11:10 PM
9-9 will put us somewhere in the last 4 in territory. We go 8-10 we are dead in the water and going to the NIT.

Dawg2003
01-13-2019, 11:26 PM
We could go 8-10. That's completely possible looking at the schedule.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Regardless of who hired who... It’s Cohen’s job to get basketball fixed.... Maybe he will take some time off of his baseball color commentary duties to get it fixed.

tcdog70
01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
If I remember correctly 34 scoffed at the suggestion of hiring Kermit when Stans got the boot. We would also have had Butch Pierre.

basedog
01-14-2019, 09:41 AM
It will never be a easy fix, history says so and yes there are some good coaches across the country. But to think we will be a consistent Ncaa tourney team isn't realistic. If so I suppose every AD we have ever had isn't worthy like the wanna be's****

Yes we can win a few years and go but like I said the Sec isn't a basketball power or conference, never will.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Basketball is far easier to win in the SEC than football. It's not debatable. We should be in the tournament way more than once a decade plus.

Dawg2003
01-14-2019, 10:13 AM
It will never be a easy fix, history says so and yes there are some good coaches across the country. But to think we will be a consistent Ncaa tourney team isn't realistic. If so I suppose every AD we have ever had isn't worthy like the wanna be's****

Yes we can win a few years and go but like I said the Sec isn't a basketball power or conference, never will.

This is basically the truth. Outside of our Final 4 run, our history isn't much better than Ole Miss. They have been to the NCAA tournament 8 times and, we've been 10 times. The only other differences are that we won some conference championships back in the 1960s and have won the SEC tournament more times.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
We went every other year for 18 years (91-2009). Our program was rolling along and then Stans blew it up. Richard Williams built our program up, Stans maintained I for a few years before it collapsed. No reason we can't get back to that or close to it.

confucius say
01-14-2019, 10:39 AM
We went every other year for 18 years (91-2009). Our program was rolling along and then Stans blew it up. Richard Williams built our program up, Stans maintained I for a few years before it collapsed. No reason we can't get back to that or close to it.

I agree. Stans went 6 out 8 seasons from 2002-2009.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2019, 10:48 AM

And outside of 3 seasons under Stans ('02-'04) we were essentially the same that we are right now under Howland - a team that will have to fight to make the tournament. Every year we ran a relatively easy OOS, tripped up some in SEC play, fought to 9-7, "won the west"and got a good SEC Tournament seed because of it. Normally, it took a strong SEC Tournament run to solidify our post season, and we had to sweat bubble watch year in and year out.

StarkVegasSteve
01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
We're not getting Kermit. And I'm not sure we want him. Is he a great in game coach? Absolutely. Did he outcoach Howland on Saturday? Yes. But everyone seems to be forgetting he's doing all this with the talent of Andy Kennedy. For all his detractors, and he had a lot. The guy could find players that could shoot the top off the ball. Whether that was Chris Warren, Henderson, Moody, and you can go on and on. I'll be interested to see what he does in the next few years when Kennedy's talent starts drying up.

Now, if we do fire Howland/he retires I think the list to replace him would be very short. You can limit it down to probably 5-6 names:

1. Jon Scheyer- quickly has become Coach K's lead assistant. Probably looking for a place to make a name for himself for when the Duke job comes open in a few years.
2. Stan Jones- longtime Leonard Hamilton assistant. Was on Stansbury's staff for a year. Great recruiter and elite bench coach. Also has a lot of ties to the state
3. Dan Majerle- has basically built the program at Grand Canyon. Has a lot of NBA pedigree, which could be a detractor for some.
4. Dan D'Antoni- been at Marshall for 5 years and they've steadily improved each and every year. Brother of Mike D'Antoni
5. Eric Musselman- Built Nevada into a damn powerhouse. Be hard to pull him though.

Wild Cards: 1. Fred Hoiberg- seems to be a lot of interest between him and the NBA, but the guy can flat out coach. If the T'Wolves back off we'd need to jump on him fast.
2. Gregg Marshall- just hand him a blank check and tell him to fill it out.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
9-9 will put us somewhere in the last 4 in territory. We go 8-10 we are dead in the water and going to the NIT.

And watch, we'll go on a run. The floor spacing in the NIT really seems to help us and the offense operate a little more smoothly.

shannondawg
01-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Just something about lusting after an ole miss coach, regardless of who it is, just doesn't sound right to me.

Scared_Hitless
01-15-2019, 10:04 AM
I wanna see how these next 6 games shake out before making any assumptions. I believe going in most people were expecting 5-3 or 6-2 for our first 8 league games. While not impossible to still hit that mark its unlikely. We just are not gelling and these guys have been together to long for that to be an issue. We have a bunch of Divas honestly that want to play iso/hero ball all night.

Howland needs to fix it and get us in the tourney anything less is a failure he does not get a pass like Moorhead these are his guys and he has upper quadrant talent in the SEC probably only behind KY, TN, and AU.
Fix it and finish at least 12-6 or so and we will see about the future.

TrapGame
01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Just something about lusting after an ole miss coach, regardless of who it is, just doesn't sound right to me.

I don't care if it is Kermit. It's weird.

shannondawg
01-15-2019, 03:25 PM
I don't care if it is Kermit. It's weird.

And not a topic until after game Saturday.

TrapGame
01-15-2019, 03:32 PM
And not a topic until after game Saturday.

Dear Lord, we lose to Florida and this board will melt. I'm not a big basketball guy but this season could go south quick. And I'd hate that.