PDA

View Full Version : Ben Howland is a joke

Cooterpoot
01-12-2019, 03:10 PM
I?ve been saying it for 2 years. He doesn?t coach. Our basketball program is still a mess.

civildawg
01-12-2019, 03:12 PM
He?s got to go and I?m a big howland supporter but you can?t lose that game today. The fan base is done

Saltydog
01-12-2019, 03:13 PM
D for shit.

KOdawg1
01-12-2019, 03:14 PM
We hired the wrong coach. Why we didn't hire Kermit, I will never understand.

Howland needs to go.

gravedigger
01-12-2019, 03:15 PM
I?ve been saying it for 2 years. He doesn?t coach. Our basketball program is still a mess.

This is on Q. Ole?d The defensive play and took a crap shot down by 2.

And your takes for the last two years have been as cringeworthy as your username.

Leeshouldveflanked
Cohen is too cheap to fire him and I would be even more scared of another Cohen coaching hire.

Thick
Not supporting that undisciplined, playground ball. Total BS!!

BuckyIsAB****
01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Selfish and lazy the entire 2nd half. Its obvious he has no control over them, they do what they want.

Q weatherspoon would have sat for a week after he gave no effort to stop the layup then a 30 ft 3 after no passes.

The difference in Schafer and Howland is obvious

Charlie_Sheen420
01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Kermit Davis at Ole Miss will haunt this program for a while...

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-12-2019, 03:17 PM

17 You

ZedFedder
01-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I have been on the "we are fine" train this year, and I thought we had turned the corner, but that was bad. I don't know what has happened from Pitt and UCLA to State but something is off. Maybe he just had superior players there, maybe he had more fire then... I don't know. This is very disappointing.

msstate7
01-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Cohen, fire howland at the end of the year, and blame SS for us not hiring Kermit the first time. Beg him if you have to. Go get Kermit

timotheus
01-12-2019, 03:19 PM
He has a shot the rest of this season to maybe change the climate but I'm afraid he has allowed them to just pop up a 3 whenever they wish way too many times. I honestly think this team thought because they did well in the non conference that they kinda had it made on to the NCAA's after last seasons non conference being weak. They look like a marginal NIT team now Lose to Florida on tuesday and the wheels will be off the wagon. Howland looks like he doesn't know what to do.

Cooterpoot
01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
This is on Q. Ole?d The defensive play and took a crap shot down by 2.

And your takes for the last two years have been as cringeworthy as your username.

One player didn?t lose that game. We?re a terribly undisciplined team with no damn coaching.

KOdawg1
01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Kermit Davis at Ole Miss will haunt this program for a while...

Not if we hire him. Pay him whatever he wants and start apologizing for passing him over TWICE. I can understand choosing Howland over him bc once upon a time, he was a good coach. But Rick Ray? Rebuild bridges if you can and hire Kermit Davis

MetEdDawg
01-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Howland is 100% to blame. This is so different than Moorhead. We are 4 years into Howland's tenure. He's got his players and he's got two 5 starts in Nick and Perry. Peters is an experienced PG and Q is a 4th year starter. Add Holman and our starting 5 is perfect to do well.

Cooterpoot
01-12-2019, 03:30 PM
17 You

I don?t go that way bro. Sorry
Let?s see if Howland can prove me wrong now.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2019, 03:30 PM
We play lazy defense, always a step late and then settle for crap shots when we need a basket. I'll always let the season play out but if we don't make the tournament with this talent then something has to change. Let's hope they get it corrected.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 03:35 PM
This is not the same Howland that won at Pitt and UCLA. If these guys played for him then they would be sitting the way they are playing. This team doesn’t even play defense at all. If our two seniors don’t play today, we probably win the game. Holman played the shittiest defense I’ve ever seen him play and I don’t know what Q was doing but it sure as shit wasn’t basketball. Q had 5 of our 15 turnovers. Between Peters, Ado, and Q they had 12 of our 15 turnovers. Woodard played awesome and didn’t even play in the second half. Guess what? He was shutting that freshman down that Holman was letting shoot wide open three pointers. We had Holman and Ado in there when they had a four guard lineup in. We had Holman ready to check in at the end and one timeout remaining. Wouldn’t it of been better to setup a play for the last shot and get Holman in the game at the same time by calling a timeout before that horrible whatever it was we did at the end. This team is the most disappointing team in MSU history period. Good luck the rest of the way because I’m out.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 03:36 PM
We play lazy defense, always a step late and then settle for crap shots when we need a basket. I'll always let the season play out but if we don't make the tournament with this talent then something has to change. Let's hope they get it corrected.

Who cares honestly? OM has passed us up because of Loafers doing. The basketball program has gone to shit.

Charlie_Sheen420
01-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Not if we hire him. Pay him whatever he wants and start apologizing for passing him over TWICE. I can understand choosing Howland over him bc once upon a time, he was a good coach. But Rick Ray? Rebuild bridges if you can and hire Kermit Davis
You can forget about him ever coming here, that bridge has been burned...why leave a place you are building your program to a place that didn’t even give him the time of day...TWICE...he’s gonna stay there, and let us know at least twice a year he is there and what could of been...

Dawg61
01-12-2019, 03:39 PM
I told y'all this was a must win game for Howland. Some of you said I was bitching when I said it. I wasn't then and I am not now it's everyone else that's bitching. Howland doesn't discipline or get on his players enough. Can't win at a high level without it. When Howland takes off the bubble wrap and stops walking on egg shells he'll be a good coach again. Till then he's not. Period.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-12-2019, 03:40 PM

I don't think it's lazyness, I think it's confusion. So many times we'll screw up a rotation and have 2 guys on 1 man, then he'll pass it to the open guy and our play who should have been on him pauses, like he expects another State player to be there. We are poorly coached, but I don't think we got our hustled today.

Bdawg
01-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Woodard not playing in the 2nd half was a travesty. Kid was hot and D-ing up today. If it wasn't for the freshman, we wouldn't have had a lead to begin with. This level of play is 100% on Howland.

dawgday166
01-12-2019, 03:48 PM
I don't think it's lazyness, I think it's confusion. So many times we'll screw up a rotation and have 2 guys on 1 man, then he'll pass it to the open guy and our play who should have been on him pauses, like he expects another State player to be there. We are poorly coached, but I don't think we got our hustled today.

You just described lack of hustle.

BrunswickDawg
01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
I told y'all this was a must win game for Howland. Some of you said I was bitching when I said it. I wasn't then and I am not now it's everyone else that's bitching. Howland doesn't discipline or get on his players enough. Can't win at a high level without it. When Howland takes off the bubble wrap and stops walking on egg shells he'll be a good coach again. Till then he's not. Period.

Yup. Proved me wrong.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-12-2019, 04:01 PM

No, lack of hustle would be not running to your man when you know it's your man. I'm describing a player making a mental error, and looking slow on the court because he doesn't know what he's supposed to do

In football, lets say the O runs an option play. Both the LB and the DE take the QB, leaving the pitch wide open. That's a busted assignment due to poor coaching, not a lack of hustle. If the RB was open because the LB just didn't want to run to his spot then yeah that's a lack of hustle

dawgday166
01-12-2019, 04:05 PM
No, lack of hustle would be not running to your man when you know it's your man. I'm describing a player making a mental error, and looking slow on the court because he doesn't know what he's supposed to do

In football, lets say the O runs an option play. Both the LB and the DE take the QB, leaving the pitch wide open. That's a busted assignment due to poor coaching, not a lack of hustle. If the RB was open because the LB just didn't want to run to his spot then yeah that's a lack of hustle

Football and basketball 2 different things. Basketball not near as complex. It's lack of hustle IMO unless from a true Freshman. They've covered what you described a million times in practice already.

Political Hack
01-12-2019, 04:09 PM
We are weak. We suck down low. Ado is solid defensively but our young bigs play like high school kids and Holman is a 100% complete waste of height. It's disgusting to watch.

I'd love to see what dampier and big country would do to our post players. Basketball season is over.

When's baseball start? Maybe Cohen didn't screw that one up.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 04:11 PM

I never doubted you but right now we have players that just don’t give a shit about playing defense. Then we have two Q and Peters who are turning into ball hogs these last two games. Then we have a coach who once again misused our bench after saying he’s not going to do it again. Woodard played awesome the first half. When Davis went small with four guards, Howland should have immediately realized it and matched them instead of having Ado and Holman in the game against it.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 04:12 PM
We are weak. We suck down low. Ado is solid defensively but our young bigs play like high school kids and Holman is a 100% complete waste of height. It's disgusting to watch.

I'd love to see what dampier and big country would do to our post players. Basketball season is over.

Did you watch the game today? Woodard and Perry dominated them on the inside when they had the chance to shine.

dawgday166
01-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Damp would eat us up. We wouldn't be able to stop that fadeaway of big country's. I had Ok St going to final four that year.

Bdawg
01-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Did you watch the game today? Woodard and Perry dominated them on the inside when they had the chance to shine.

I'm with you on this one. I know Perry wasn't good against SC but our freshman shined today to build a lead for us and Howland didn't go back with Woodard any. IDK.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Yep that was my exact point. We played with energy and hustle on defense to start the second half and it produced a good run. Then it's like we said that's enough and we never played with that intensity again. That shows we can do it when we want to we just don't want to enough.

MarketingBully
01-12-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm with you on this one. I know Perry wasn't good against SC but our freshman shined today to build a lead for us and Howland didn't go back with Woodard any. IDK.

I really don’t understand Howland. He knows why we suck. He says it after every post game. This team plays shit defense after ending the season last year playing awesome man to man defense. Holman didn’t play a lick of defense today. If we had played Woodard all of Holman’s minutes today (and hell even played Feazell) we probably win that game. If he just reaches his arms out when a rebound literally lands two feet in front of him with score tied late we probably win the game. It wasn’t that Ole Miss hit 3s. They hit wide open 3s that Holman wouldn’t cover. Woodard actually defended that guy and did a great job defensively against him and drew fouls on him. Howland is just a joke to me after the effort his team showed these last two games.

msstate7
01-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Kermit has beat 2 ranked teams this week. How many ranked teams has howland beat while he's been here?

RougeDawg
01-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Yep that was my exact point. We played with energy and hustle on defense to start the second half and it produced a good run. Then it's like we said that's enough and we never played with that intensity again. That shows we can do it when we want to we just don't want to enough.

This has been my main gripe since Howland got here. Always 5-10 minute stretches of complete lack of effort. 2-3 times every game.

Lord McBuckethead
01-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Makes me think Derick Zinmerman, Shane Power, etc would be all over these guys for their intensity

Commercecomet24
01-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Makes me think Derick Zinmerman, Shane Power, etc would be all over these guys for their intensity

Yep. Darryl Wilson would've absolutely lost his crap on this bunch too!

DownwardDawg
01-12-2019, 10:46 PM
17 You

He?s a very average coach.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-12-2019, 10:58 PM
I don?t go that way bro. Sorry
Let?s see if Howland can prove me wrong now.

Our fanbase is window licking retarded. We lose 2 games and there are people calling for the coaches head. There was a big time basketball game in the Hump today for the first time in eight years. The 1996 team lost 4 games in January, and id say that season still turned out OK wouldn't you? I'm not saying we are going to the final four, but Jesus let them finish the season before you talk about how terrible they are, BRO.

Cooterpoot
01-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Year 4 and the same lack of discipline and selfish play by upper class men. The coach does nothing to correct it. They call out the fans then crap the bed. I don’t feel bad at all for saying I’m tired of watching the same crap. Put their asses on the bench. Then, those same players don’t even have the balls to got to the podium post game and we send a couple freshmen who should’ve been playing. Just pitiful.

msstate7
01-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Year 4 and the same lack of discipline and selfish play by upper class men. The coach does nothing to correct it. They call out the fans then crap the bed. I don’t feel bad at all for saying I’m tired of watching the same crap. Put their asses on the bench. Then, those same players don’t even have the balls to got to the podium post game and we send a couple freshmen who should’ve been playing. Just pitiful.

Wait... who didn't show up for presser?

Cooterpoot
01-12-2019, 11:54 PM
We sent our Freshmen (Perry and Woodard) to answer questions while our older guys avoided the press. Just a terrible look.

msstate7
01-12-2019, 11:55 PM
We sent our Freshmen (Perry and Woodard) to answer questions while our older guys avoided the press. Just a terrible look.

Yeah, that is bad

Dawg61
01-13-2019, 12:54 AM
Perry, Woodard and Nick showed the most passion today. I'm alright with it. Q, Holman and Lamar seem to be ok with shitting the bed and a #14 ranking.

MarketingBully
01-13-2019, 03:37 AM
Perry, Woodard and Nick showed the most passion today. I'm alright with it. Q, Holman and Lamar seem to be ok with shitting the bed and a #14 ranking.

I’m glad Q, Holman, and Lamar will be gone next year. We have a very solid base to build from and players in the system like Nick, Tyson, Perry, and Woodard who are true Bulldogs. I think once they have their chance to lead this team it will be addition by subtraction. I think Lamar is a gifted player but I think he’s too emotional and him and Q going at it just does not help anything at all.

timotheus
01-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote of the century Mr Poot. You just summed it all up greatly.

Dawg61
01-13-2019, 10:48 AM
I’m glad Q, Holman, and Lamar will be gone next year. We have a very solid base to build from and players in the system like Nick, Tyson, Perry, and Woodard who are true Bulldogs. I think once they have their chance to lead this team it will be addition by subtraction. I think Lamar is a gifted player but I think he’s too emotional and him and Q going at it just does not help anything at all.

Q and Holman are good players but they aren't leaders. It's just where we are right now as a program. It is what it is. It sucks cause Howland doesn't get on the other players either so nobody is doing it really.

tcdog70
01-13-2019, 11:18 AM
I realize this was a bad loss and our first game in front of a rocking Hump. but before we go full retard, let's see how we play from Here on out. I've been a fan since Joe Dan Gold, I've seen some shitty basketball. This team will rise up and we will have a good season and I think we will play in the Big Dance. Criticism is ok, but some of you guys are just
Ridiculous. Q and LP will win us many games. When you are the go to guys sometimes you fail and it is sad yesterday they failed. But for Me I'm not going to give up on them and this team. I have faith Howland will get us where we need to be.

dawgday166
01-13-2019, 11:47 AM

I'm not so sure that is a bad thing. Send the 2 guys that don't need an ass chewing out for PC, then when they gone, chew everyone else's ass.

At least I'm hoping that is the reason for the freshmen being only ones at PC.

ETA: I'm hoping Howland told them "no more Mr Nice Guy". You do stupid/selfish shit and/or don't play D, yo ass on the bench ... regardless of if we lose every game cause of it. And you running in practice till your tongues hangs down to your ankles. You want to go to NBA ... we'll see how draftable you are when you don't even play.

msstate7
01-13-2019, 11:47 AM
I'm not so sure that is a bad thing. Send the 2 guys that don't need an ass chewing out for PC, then when they gone, chew everyone else's ass.

Good point... probably a hug session though

WPDawg
01-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Nice. So you think your input is part of the solution? To quit on this team 2 games in to the SEC schedule? We lost first 2 games by close margins. We are not Duke and SC and UM are not terrible teams. So both games were going to be close. A good team takes close losses and learns from it. Let it work out.

Little League analysis from message board stands is not helping. The team has talent and will continue to find and gel their personality. Hopefully that results in more wins than losses. But at this point there should not be message board panic.

timotheus
01-13-2019, 12:46 PM
I have seen numerous quality high school coaches pull guys for not helping at all on backside D. Evidently Howland feels its just a video game like the NBA and just grab it and go bomb another one up. Martin and Davis have exposed this Team from a defensive trajectory and I feel that the other SEC coaches will follow suit. This will more than likely result in several road game losses and will open the middle up for MSU offensively. The catch to that is whether Howland can convince the perimeter guys to look in the paint. He is either okay with all the NBA range shots or has little control over his club.

Cooterpoot
01-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Nice. So you think your input is part of the solution? To quit on this team 2 games in to the SEC schedule? We lost first 2 games by close margins. We are not Duke and SC and UM are not terrible teams. So both games were going to be close. A good team takes close losses and learns from it. Let it work out.

Little League analysis from message board stands is not helping. The team has talent and will continue to find and gel their personality. Hopefully that results in more wins than losses. But at this point there should not be message board panic.

It’s not my job to find the solution. That’s the coach’s job and he’s not doing it.

Dawgology
01-13-2019, 01:28 PM

What you are saying makes sense...for a young team with a new head coach. We are neither. If this team hasn’t “gelled” by now (year 4) it isn’t going to happen. These past 2 losses or inexcusable. These are really bad losses and the path isn’t getting easier. It looks like this team is being coached down to the NIT. The game has passed by Howland. Time to hang up the clipboard for him.

msbulldog
01-13-2019, 01:33 PM
I realize this was a bad loss and our first game in front of a rocking Hump. but before we go full retard, let's see how we play from Here on out. I've been a fan since Joe Dan Gold, I've seen some shitty basketball. This team will rise up and we will have a good season and I think we will play in the Big Dance. Criticism is ok, but some of you guys are just
Ridiculous. Q and LP will win us many games. When you are the go to guys sometimes you fail and it is sad yesterday they failed. But for Me I'm not going to give up on them and this team. I have faith Howland will get us where we need to be.

PREACH! +1

msbulldog
01-13-2019, 01:38 PM

ETA: I'm hoping Howland told them "no more Mr Nice Guy". You do stupid/selfish shit and/or don't play D, yo ass on the bench ... regardless of if we lose every game cause of it. And you running in practice till your tongues hangs down to your ankles. You want to go to NBA ... we'll see how draftable you are when you don't even play.

Amen! That is exactly what needs to be said! +1

MarketingBully
01-13-2019, 02:39 PM
When I watched Ben’s presser, he basically said what we’ve been screaming at him about in all these threads. Play Woodard more. Woodard should have been guarding that idiot freshman who went off for Ole Miss. Our scouting reports have been spot on but our players aren’t following them or just reverting back to me ball now that conference season has started. Howland knows what’s wrong. He articulates it on every post game press conference. Can he get his players to fix it? That remains to be seen.

Bdawg
01-13-2019, 02:52 PM

I like it!!

MarketingBully
01-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Can we tell Peters please don’t take the last shot driving to the basket? I don’t mind him taking a 3 in rhythm as his last shot but he’s 0-2 on last second shots in the last two games. Q’s 30 foot 3 also didn’t help us. Howland said after the game that wasn’t the shot we wanted with Q as he was supposed to drive to the basket. But the difference between Howland and Davis? Davis would have immediately gotten a sub in for those guys so he could eat their ass out for taking those shots. Howland used to do that when he coached at Pitt and UCLA. Sometimes kids don’t get it unless you take something important to them like playing time away. I’m afraid that’s the only way Q and Peters will learn. Peters went through this shit too early in the conference season as well. Unfortunately as Peters goes so does this team. Hitching our wagon up to this kid may be Howland’s downfall.

Pit Bull
01-13-2019, 04:13 PM
This is not the same Howland that won at Pitt and UCLA. If these guys played for him then they would be sitting the way they are playing. This team doesn?t even play defense at all. If our two seniors don?t play today, we probably win the game. Holman played the shittiest defense I?ve ever seen him play and I don?t know what Q was doing but it sure as shit wasn?t basketball. Q had 5 of our 15 turnovers. Between Peters, Ado, and Q they had 12 of our 15 turnovers. Woodard played awesome and didn?t even play in the second half. Guess what? He was shutting that freshman down that Holman was letting shoot wide open three pointers. We had Holman and Ado in there when they had a four guard lineup in. We had Holman ready to check in at the end and one timeout remaining. Wouldn?t it of been better to setup a play for the last shot and get Holman in the game at the same time by calling a timeout before that horrible whatever it was we did at the end. This team is the most disappointing team in MSU history period. Good luck the rest of the way because I?m out.

Totally agree. We all change as we grow older. I have softened my attitude a bit over the years. Howland probably has too. I wish we would not attack him personally with derogatory names. Just complain about the way he coaches. He is not an idiot or dumb or lazy. He just may not be coaching as well as he used to. Criticize.....fine, but don't call him names. (not directed at this post or MarketBully)?..just me venting on how we treat our coaches.