PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have idea why Vic insists

Sparrows2
01-10-2019, 10:31 PM
On not running a zone defense
But instead runs man and allows the other team to drag the most dominant defensive presence in the country out to the perimeter?
Just pure stubbornness?
Too easy?
Religious conviction?
Wants to see how T work on perimeter defense?
Likes to see guards play post defense?
Believes T being 6’7 and MSU playing zone is unfair?
Thinks if he just rolled out the obvious move people wouldn’t think hi is creative?
Zones are for sissies?

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Maybe because what he does has got us to two straight national title games? It also has us ranked 7th after losing 4 starters to graduation.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2019, 10:53 PM
I'll defer to Vic on this one. He seems to have a grasp on this basketball coaching thang.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Anybody questioning Vic is a damn idiot.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Because he want's to win his way....any other way, he'd rather lose.***

Sparrows2
01-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Yeah your probably right
This whole continuous improvement thing and adapting to different circumstances is way overrated
If you bust ass and run full length scrimmages between games all season you should do that before natty games after games that finish at midnight
And if you lose 80% of your team, and scoring no sense to maximizing your one returning starter by leaving her around the basket
Yes sirree bob if it worked yesterday it’s good enough for tomorrow
Except don’t tell Belichek or Saban that
Or Steve Jobs or Bill Gates

smootness
01-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Yeah your probably right
This whole continuous improvement thing and adapting to different circumstances is way overrated
If you bust ass and run full length scrimmages between games all season you should do that before natty games after games that finish at midnight
And if you lose 80% of your team, and scoring no sense to maximizing your one returning starter by leaving her around the basket

The heck are you talking about?

mparkerfd20
01-10-2019, 11:06 PM

Yeah that's it.

99jc
01-10-2019, 11:07 PM
The heck are you talking about?

Anyone who thinks they know more than Vic needs to get the ban hammer. 17 ing morons want us to play zone yeah you know more than Vic dumbass.

robert
01-10-2019, 11:21 PM
The fat white girl that "T" was guarding did not make a 3 all night. (and the Dogs won)***

Commercecomet24
01-10-2019, 11:23 PM

I see what you did there! Nice! Rep given!

Commercecomet24
01-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Yeah your probably right

Yeah because Vic's teams never show any improvement*****

Dawg2003
01-10-2019, 11:26 PM
He thinks it's lazy. He said something to this effect last year. His strategy works 9 times out of 10, but his refusal to play zone has definitely cost us some games. It's hard to criticize him, but no coach is perfect.

Irondawg
01-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Some coaches just like a style and he's one of them. My best guess is he doesn't want to waste practice time installing another scheme.

That said personnel-wise this team is better geared to a zone defense. Where teams are hurting us this year is spreading us out and getting into the lane. Oregon got into the lane a ton in that loss. Georgia got there a ton tonight. Several other teams have hurt us there as well.

To me this team has two big potential issue. One is that our two guards cannot shoot from outside at all. Entering tonight that had SIX 3-pt attempts for the season combined.

The second is that we're nowhere close to as good defensively as we've been the past few years. I agree I think we should play some zone with this group but it's never going to happen with Vic.

Glad we pulled that one out tonight, GA was a pretty good team

Ezsoil
01-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Maybe because what he does has got us to two straight national title games? It also has us ranked 7th after losing 4 starters to graduation.

Yes he got to two Championship games and now teams are looking to take down a top team ....the Oregon coach had that game circled after losing the two previous years and had a great game plan...other coaches are going to continue do the same thing...while this team is far better than the previous two teams as they are more balanced offensively as evidenced by leading the nation in scoring and much better on defense overall...but the fact remains that even with this team's vastly improved offensive efficiency, there is a problem defensively when T is brought out away from the basket. Unless VIc considers using a zone as a change of pace, it will be difficult to return to the final 4...

Captain Falcon
01-11-2019, 12:09 AM
I do think he deserves credit for the defensive adjustments that were made late in this game tonight. We absolutely locked them down in the last six minutes of the game. They didn’t make a field goal after the 6:12 mark.

dantheman4248
01-11-2019, 12:18 AM
The fat white girl that "T" was guarding did not make a 3 all night. (and the Dogs won)***

I mean she definitely swished one from deep but ok.

Dawg2003
01-11-2019, 12:28 AM
I do think he deserves credit for the defensive adjustments that were made late in this game tonight. We absolutely locked them down in the last six minutes of the game. They didn’t make a field goal after the 6:12 mark.

I noticed McCowan stayed in the lane more.

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Some coaches just like a style and he's one of them. My best guess is he doesn't want to waste practice time installing another scheme.

That said personnel-wise this team is better geared to a zone defense. Where teams are hurting us this year is spreading us out and getting into the lane. Oregon got into the lane a ton in that loss. Georgia got there a ton tonight. Several other teams have hurt us there as well.

To me this team has two big potential issue. One is that our two guards cannot shoot from outside at all. Entering tonight that had SIX 3-pt attempts for the season combined.

The second is that we're nowhere close to as good defensively as we've been the past few years. I agree I think we should play some zone with this group but it's never going to happen with Vic.

Glad we pulled that one out tonight, GA was a pretty good team

Girls may be too slow for an all out zone. But I would like to add, T should never leave the post. Run a 4 and 1, or simply do not cover their big out further than 5 feet past the basket. Better to give up a deep ball to the big white girl than them make 55 pts in the paint. Shit, GA at one point was 90% for the 3rd quarter because they were essentially ptacticing layups against our slow D, while T was 22 feet from the basket guarding a white human cheeseburger disposal.

MCsMGs
01-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Vic and Ben are conspiring to agitate the collective brain trust at ED! No other explanation...

msbulldog
01-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Girls may be too slow for an all out zone. But I would like to add, T should never leave the post. Run a 4 and 1, or simply do not cover their big out further than 5 feet past the basket. Better to give up a deep ball to the big white girl than them make 55 pts in the paint. Shit, GA at one point was 90% for the 3rd quarter because they were essentially ptacticing layups against our slow D, while T was 22 feet from the basket guarding a white human cheeseburger disposal.

LOL cheeseburger disposal, that's funny, spit out my coffee. +1

Liverpooldawg
01-11-2019, 09:13 AM
He thinks it's lazy. He said something to this effect last year. His strategy works 9 times out of 10, but his refusal to play zone has definitely cost us some games. It's hard to criticize him, but no coach is perfect.

Exactly how many games has it cost us? We haven't lost but about 3-4 in the last 3 years.

Liverpooldawg
01-11-2019, 09:19 AM
You guys are just proving what I have always thought about our fans. We ain't happy unless we are bitching about something. Vick has the best program that has ever been on this campus in any sport, one that in every other sport we would kill for, one that 99% of schools would kill for in every sport. We are bitching about him. UNREAL.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-11-2019, 09:40 AM

This^^ Thread needed to stop after this.

3rdGen
01-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Killin me!!!!

Cooterpoot
01-11-2019, 09:43 AM
We've lost one game and are top seven after losing 4 starters this year and 3 the year before. We're playing with the least talent, overall, we've had since Vic got here. Yet, he's still kicking everybody's asses. That's damn coaching!

Scared_Hitless
01-11-2019, 09:55 AM
I think everyone is copying the Oregon strategy that beat us, the thing is though unless they shoot 65% and get 40 FTs cough Oregon cough. Then we are still going to smoke them. I believe Vic is willing to live with a few close games and lumps because the team needs to learn to play D his way because it works. I defer to our coach he seems to have a good grip on things.

Cowbell
01-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Maybe Vic is making them play through this defense because he knows there is lots of improvement to be made and we need this style of defense to win the big games down the road. We are play for bigger things at this point. If we lose a game here or there in the learning process, it will not hurt this team one bit. This isn't football.

Johnson85
01-11-2019, 10:58 AM
On not running a zone defense
But instead runs man and allows the other team to drag the most dominant defensive presence in the country out to the perimeter?
Just pure stubbornness?
Too easy?
Religious conviction?
Wants to see how T work on perimeter defense?
Likes to see guards play post defense?
Believes T being 6?7 and MSU playing zone is unfair?
Thinks if he just rolled out the obvious move people wouldn?t think hi is creative?
Zones are for sissies?

No clue on Vic, but I played for a very good coach that refused to zone. Basically said every time he'd ever done it, his players get lazy and it negatively impacts them when they go back to man, and he'd rather forgo the potential benefits of a zone than let them get in zone habits where they're not actively defending at all times. I think there's something to that, but it's probably over blown (I'm not sure if you teach a zone right that it has to be less active). But it's hard to criticize Vic for his philosophy (whatever the reasoning) seeing the results.

Dawg2003
01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Exactly how many games has it cost us? We haven't lost but about 3-4 in the last 3 years.

Well when you put it that way. . . .

Ari Gold
01-11-2019, 11:16 AM
So why do most on here rip Howland ( 3 final fours ) that he doesn’t play zone ???
Like I said Over and over .. you can’t just throw out a zone and it be effective.
Some coaches don’t believe in it for whatever reason. Don’t coach it or it doesn’t fit the players they have on the roster
IMO the women are much more suited to run a zone with the lack of mobility T has guarding away from the basket. Ado actually is a very good high ball screen defender for a big man . He has very good feet
But who can question either one of these final 4 coaches but yet one gets 100x more criticism than the other

We are extremely lucky both are here

MCsMGs
01-11-2019, 11:27 AM
So why do most on here rip Howland ( 3 final fours ) that he doesn’t play zone ???
Like I said Over and over .. you can’t just throw out a zone and it be effective.
Some coaches don’t believe in it for whatever reason. Don’t coach it or it doesn’t fit the players they have on the roster
IMO the women are much more suited to run a zone with the lack of mobility T has guarding away from the basket. Ado actually is a very good high ball screen defender for a big man . He has very good feet
But who can question either one of these final 4 coaches but yet one gets 100x more criticism than the other

Preach!

If i'm not mistaken, some of the same posters that are supporting Vic in this thread are some of the ones criticizing Howland for doing the same thing.

Scared_Hitless
01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
I agree Ari 100% also think the men's team dominates tomorrow to calm the masses.

Cooterpoot
01-11-2019, 11:53 AM

I blame him more for letting the guys play out of control and lazy more than his philosophy on defense. When Howland actually gets us in the NCAA tournament, I'll back off of him. I'm still waiting.

MCsMGs
01-11-2019, 07:03 PM
I blame him more for letting the guys play out of control and lazy more than his philosophy on defense. When Howland actually gets us in the NCAA tournament, I'll back off of him. I'm still waiting.

Are you of the opinion that Howland is not aware of or does not recognize the out of control and lazy play?

Cooterpoot
01-11-2019, 07:51 PM
I’m of the opinion that we’ve got a track record of seasons of the same problems over and over, without those issues being corrected. That’s on Howland as the coach. He better get us in the tournament this year or it’s going to get ugly.

MCsMGs
01-11-2019, 08:46 PM
I’m of the opinion that we’ve got a track record of seasons of the same problems over and over, without those issues being corrected. That’s on Howland as the coach. He better get us in the tournament this year or it’s going to get ugly.

I don't totally disagree with that, but what responsibility should be placed on the players? For instance, as good as Q has been, he has demonstrated a propensity to "blank out" at times(often at critical times) and make some boneheaded plays. At the beginning of last season, Lamar came being touted as a potential lottery pick and stunk up the entire OOC schedule and the first couple of SEC games before getting his head on straight. Although he has matured a lot, He remains a streaky scorer and defender and subject to letting his emotions get the better of himself. At some point, at least some of the blame has to be directed at the players and not just the coach.

CrazyEyeKilla
01-11-2019, 09:56 PM
I?m more concerned about his lack of a desire in developing a bench. See Oregon game

MCsMGs
01-11-2019, 10:07 PM
I?m more concerned about his lack of a desire in developing a bench. See Oregon game

Did you forget the ***? If not, This statement is so absurd that it doesn't deserve a response.

CrazyEyeKilla
01-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Did you forget the ***? If not, This statement is so absurd that it doesn't deserve a response.

Apparently Blair and whatever Howland?s son/daughter?s name share a username on this message board

CrazyEyeKilla
01-11-2019, 10:47 PM
Moreover, why is it absurd to state that I am concerned with the lack of developing a bench? Please expand on your issues with my statement.