PDA

View Full Version : Didn't take Kermit long

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 02:13 PM
to be outshining Howland. Ole Miss housed #11 Auburn last night 82-67. OM is 12-2 with wins over Vandy & Auburn. This season is looking like a make it or break it one for Howland. Saturday is a must win vs Ole Miss in the Hump. No excuses.

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
I mean I think we all agree it was a mistake hiring Ray over Kermit that looks apparent now that he is proving it at an SEC school. This season is not make or break though and we as fans are in no place to complain when we are averaging 1k fans at the games. We must do better as well and I think we win Saturday for the record.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Not comparing the 2 in any way but Rick Ray won his 1st 2 SEC games as well. Let's let the season play out before we have Kermit running Howland out of town.

MadDawg
01-10-2019, 02:23 PM
I mean I think we all agree it was a mistake hiring Ray over {BLANK}

FIFY. This was one of many errors.

BrunswickDawg
01-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Not that Kermit isn't doing a good job, but he is stepping into a much better situation then Howland did.

Ole Miss had a down season - but has been a pretty stable program the better part of the last 20 years.
We were a flaming bag of poo that Stans left on our front porch that instead of stomping out we poured gasoline on.

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Your not wrong Andy Kennedy was not running a program into the ground at minimum. Howland started with nothing but a JUCO roster.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm not comparing Howland's first season vs Kermit's. I'm comparing Howland's 4th season vs Kermit's 1st.

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 02:39 PM
I'm not comparing Howland's first season vs Kermit's. I'm comparing Howland's 4th season vs Kermit's 1st.

Uhhh we’re both 12-2?

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Might wanna see how the season unfolds before making sweeping assumptions based on them getting 1 upset win.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Uhhh we’re both 12-2?

And they just beat the crap outta Auburn. Saturday is a must win. Show up if you can.

fishwater99
01-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Really?

Both teams have 2 losses. Let's wait until the season plays out. Your really not very bright are you?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX

Kermit must yell at his players more...

BrunswickDawg
And they just beat the crap outta Auburn. Saturday is a must win. Show up if you can.

I think I liked it better when you bitched about not having a full roster.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Might wanna see how the season unfolds before making sweeping assumptions based on them getting 1 upset win.

What's my sweeping assumptions? Right now Kermit is outshining Howland with that win. That's a huge win.

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 02:43 PM

But it’s one win at home after Auburn had a long layoff. It’s a good win but this type of thing just happens in men’s basketball. There’s a lot more parity and talent among the men’s teams, unlike in women’s basketball. It’s why upsets are much rarer.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
What's my sweeping assumptions? Right now Kermit is outshining Howland with that win. That's a huge win.

That 1 win doesn't equal outshining. He had a very good win. We're a top 15 team who after 1 loss apparently isn't going to play the rest of the season. So if/when MSU wins Saturday will Howland leap back ahead of Kermit in this shining duel?

StarkVegasSteve
01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Say what you will about Ray, and for the record I thought he was in WAY over his head from Day 1 and he probably set us back 2 extra years in a rebuild, but the speech he gave to the fraternities the week before the OM home game in 13 is still one of the best memories I have of Ray. The hate he had for Kennedy and Marshall Henderson was real. "If you've been having problems of any kind, whether it be school, girls, or anything else come to the Hump on Saturday. Cause those 17ers from Oxford have a little b**** named Marshall Henderson who plays for them. Come take all your hate out on him." You would've thought he had just given the Independence Day speech with the ovation he got.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 03:03 PM
I think I liked it better when you bitched about not having a full roster.

You liked it better when I was bitching about us having 7 scholarship players while playing in Maui? Ok

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 03:05 PM
That 1 win doesn't equal outshining. He had a very good win. We're a top 15 team who after 1 loss apparently isn't going to play the rest of the season. So if/when MSU wins Saturday will Howland leap back ahead of Kermit in this shining duel?

Yes he would. It's a must win for Howland. Sorry you refuse to recognize it.

StarkVegasSteve
01-10-2019, 03:06 PM
You liked it better when I was bitching about us having 7 scholarship players while playing in Maui? Ok

I still cringe when I think about Baxter Price having to play against UNC in that tournament.

BrunswickDawg
01-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Yes, because you were bitching about a legitimate issue. With this, you are just creating a reason to bitch.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

I never said it was or wasn't a must win. Each teams last game has changed your entire outlook on the season so far & I think it's funny. I thought your outshining comment was comical & wrong. We do need to win Saturday but not for some outshining reason but because I think we have a chance at a good seed in the Tourney & an 0-2 SEC start doesn't help.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 03:12 PM
I still cringe when I think about Baxter Price having to play against UNC in that tournament.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that was embarrassed by that situation Ray put us in. vs Bama we almost had to play 4 guys only the last minute of the game. We had zero players left to sub for Tyson Cunningham when he got hurt but he gutted it out instead.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Yet he lost to a Cincinnati team that we've beaten.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Yes, because you were bitching about a legitimate issue. With this, you are just creating a reason to bitch.

Except I'm not bitching. You just think I am.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Yet he lost to a Cincinnati team that we've beaten.

So you'd rather have our resume than Ole Miss' right now? They are 2-0 in the SEC.

Dawg2003
01-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Our NET ranking is 33, and Ole Miss is 29. Just one game though. Gotta see how it all shakes out. We got a bad loss, but we have our chances coming up.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 03:34 PM
So you'd rather have our resume than Ole Miss' right now? They are 2-0 in the SEC.

And the SEC isn't super strong. Especially with KY down. They have one good win. We get AU at home too, last time I checked.

shannondawg
01-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Our NET ranking is 33, and Ole Miss is 29. Just one game though. Gotta see how it all shakes out. We got a bad loss, but we have our chances coming up.

SC might not be seen as a bad loss as the season plays out. They've got talent and a damm good coach.

MedDawg
01-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Most definitely NOT a "must win". There is a LOT of basketball left.

Lose to OM, then win one other game we weren't supposed to, and we've made up for it. That's all it takes. There is nothing about the OM game that a loss would cause us to go into some inevitable death spiral. It's not the end of the season or Howland's career if OM sweeps us this season or finishes ahead of State in the SEC.

Just get to the tournament and it's up to us.

MarketingBully
01-10-2019, 06:33 PM
I never said it was or wasn't a must win. Each teams last game has changed your entire outlook on the season so far & I think it's funny. I thought your outshining comment was comical & wrong. We do need to win Saturday but not for some outshining reason but because I think we have a chance at a good seed in the Tourney & an 0-2 SEC start doesn't help.

Hopefully that loss wakes this team the F up. I do have some faith it has because Holman wasn’t happy at all after the game and said the seniors need to step up and lead. That was piss poor effort in all facets on Tuesday. Can’t play like that anymore at any point this season and get to where we want to be. We got away with playing so poorly on defense before because we shared the basketball and moved without the basketball to get open looks. We didn’t do that Tuesday. We also went 13-23 at the FT line which we average 76%. If we shoot our average at the FT line, we win the game in regulation. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong Tuesday. I’m hoping it’s just an anomaly and we play like we are capable Saturday. Ole Miss isn’t as talented nor as experienced. If we play like we give any semblance of an F, we will win that game going away.

MarketingBully
01-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Most definitely NOT a "must win". There is a LOT of basketball left.

Lose to OM, then win one other game we weren't supposed to, and we've made up for it. That's all it takes. There is nothing about the OM game that a loss would cause us to go into some inevitable death spiral. It's not the end of the season or Howland's career if OM sweeps us this season or finishes ahead of State in the SEC.

Just get to the tournament and it's up to us.

You have to protect your home court. Any chance at an SEC championship is gone if we lose Saturday. That’s this team’s goal. Not just “get to the tournament” but do something when we are there.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Hopefully that loss wakes this team the F up. I do have some faith it has because Holman wasn’t happy at all after the game and said the seniors need to step up and lead. That was piss poor effort in all facets on Tuesday. Can’t play like that anymore at any point this season and get to where we want to be. We got away with playing so poorly on defense before because we shared the basketball and moved without the basketball to get open looks. We didn’t do that Tuesday. We also went 13-23 at the FT line which we average 76%. If we shoot our average at the FT line, we win the game in regulation. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong Tuesday. I’m hoping it’s just an anomaly and we play like we are capable Saturday. Ole Miss isn’t as talented nor as experienced. If we play like we give any semblance of an F, we will win that game going away.

I didn't see all of this that you saw. We defensive rebound & hit FT's we win. End of story. It's a game we shouldn't have lost but every non elite team has those. It's why they aren't elite. I expect a good performance Saturday & fans will be back on the bandwagon.

MarketingBully
01-10-2019, 06:52 PM
I didn't see all of this that you saw. We defensive rebound & hit FT's we win. End of story. It's a game we shouldn't have lost but every non elite team has those. It's why they aren't elite. I expect a good performance Saturday & fans will be back on the bandwagon.

That’s the worst game we have played in two years. We literally stood around on offense and mostly didn’t pass it to the open man. Peters and Q had 9 turnovers between them. Holman was 5/8 from 3 yet Peters takes it upon himself to take the last shot in regulation. I would have rather had him take a step back 3 in that situation then him drive into traffic to take that abysmal shot. We literally had to play our worst game for South Carolina to have a chance. Remember, Wofford beat this team by 20. South Carolina is not good. They are a bottom tier team. As I said before, hopefully an embarrassing loss like that wakes our team up and we move forward from here.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 06:56 PM
That’s the worst game we have played in two years. We literally stood around on offense and mostly didn’t pass it to the open man. Peters and Q had 9 turnovers between them. Holman was 5/8 from 3 yet Peters takes it upon himself to take the last shot in regulation. I would have rather had him take a step back 3 in that situation then him drive into traffic to take that abysmal shot. We literally had to play our worst game for South Carolina to have a chance. Remember, Wofford beat this team by 20. South Carolina is not good. They are a bottom tier team. As I said before, hopefully an embarrassing loss like that wakes our team up and we move forward from here.

Sure