PDA

View Full Version : Bama is Losing A Bunch of Coaches

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Not sure if these guys were basically told to look for other jobs or if they want out, but Locksley is already leaving for Maryland

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1083381259890581504

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1083390523908460544

msstate7
01-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Let's hope he doesn't come calling for some of our defensive staff

Jack Lambert
01-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Maybe this is why he has brought in Jones and the Idiot who let the kid die.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
I know Gattis is leaving for an OC job so he's getting a promotion. Locksley got a HC job. Now I'm not sure about Key but I could see Collins giving him a Co-OC title to get him a raise. They've had something like 20 different assistant coaches leave the last 3 years. The beat goes on.

louisvilledawg
01-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Anybody hearing Huff to Bama?

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 11:31 AM

As what, the WR coach? They don't have a RB coach opening

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Saban's success has brought a new problem: Every AD and coach wants coaches that have learned under the GOAT. The best assistants know going to Bama is the quickest way to a promotion, which causes a to of turnover but also them to have really good coaches every year. Saban rarely makes a bad hire.

The real surprise is that this isn't happening to Clemson. They've had the same coordinators since Morris left for SMU, and nobody is poaching their lower level assistants for coordinator jobs. Their DC is obviously not eager to leave, but their OC has said he'd have taken the GT job if offered. He's neither young nor old, has put out top offenses year after year, and obviously can't be bad at recruiting. Yet nobody interviews him

Cary Hudson's little bro
01-10-2019, 11:40 AM

He only leaves for a HC opening. He's already a hot name and he doesn't need Associate head coach at Bama.

dawgs
01-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Maybe this is why he has brought in Jones and the Idiot who let the kid die.

Durkin dodnt get hired. He came down to Tuscaloosa to observe and I'm sure they discuss bringing him in as an analyst, but when the story hit the internet, their was a ton of backlash, and bama backed off, releasing a statement that he merely came down to observe practice and wasn't hired by the school.

Big4Dawg
01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
As what, the WR coach? They don't have a RB coach opening

Not yet. I heard Huff to Bama as well.

msstate7
01-10-2019, 11:48 AM

If he has HC aspirations, can't really blame him, unfortunately

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-10-2019, 12:04 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/23bJpRaMJC9Ow/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Losing coaches kills us in recruiting. We simply don't have the brand that others do & thus must beat them in recruiting with relationships.

If Huff leaves, he likely take any chance of getting Mark or the other 5 star RB with him. And that's without signing anyone this year.

Just not a good.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2019, 12:07 PM
If he has HC aspirations, can't really blame him, unfortunately

I don't see how MSU can take the next step without staff continuity.

I scared that Moorhead is going to recruit his type of players, turn things around, & then leave, at which point in time we are stuck right back in the same spot we are now.

Without a big brand, I don't know how you can build your program without staff continuity

msstate7
01-10-2019, 12:09 PM

I scared that Moorhead is going to recruit his type of players, turn things around, & then leave, at which point in time we are stuck right back in the same spot we are now.

Without a big brand, I don't know how you can build your program without staff continuity

I don't mind being a stepping stone to blue blood programs. I welcome it... means we're being successful

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2019, 12:17 PM
I don't mind being a stepping stone to blue blood programs. I welcome it... means we're being successful

So long as you're OK not competing for anything. I want to build something that can win the West & compete for a playoff spot, but without continuity, it has no chance of happening

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Having the lowest, or one of the lowest total salaries for assistants in the SEC doesn't help keep anyone either.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Bad rumor.

msstate7
01-10-2019, 12:22 PM
So long as you're OK not competing for anything. I want to build something that can win the West & compete for a playoff spot, but without continuity, it has no chance of happening

It isn't happening with 4 of the west schools pulling in top 10 classes. The only way you overcome that is by catching those schools rebuilding and being a veteran team. The chances of catching all the teams rebuilding are worse now that jimbo is at aTm. I fully expect LSU to make a serious upgrade at HC soon

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
It isn't happening with 4 of the west schools pulling in top 10 classes. The only way you overcome that is by catching those schools rebuilding and being a veteran team. The chances of catching all the teams rebuilding are worse now that jimbo is at aTm. I fully expect LSU to make a serious upgrade at HC soon

I prefer to hope and figure out ways to overcome it. I'll never relagate MSU

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 01:21 PM

As you've noted, we aren't a national brand and so have an inherent uphill battle in recruiting (not to mention MS being a small state with 2 SEC teams in it). So we have to first establish consistent, high level coaching to change that narrative.

But we can't do that without suddenly doubling our booster contributions. We will never be able to do what LSU did and make a DC the highest paid assistant in football. We will never pull an A&M and shell out $9.5M a year for the HC and DC combo. We can't do $20M+ buyouts like Auburn and A&M. And whether it's fair or not, ADs will always like the idea of hiring a guy who's coached under Saban, so if a good DC can pick between us he'll always pick Bama. We've lost assistants to the exact same job at a higher paying schools several times

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer or a pessimist, I just don't see how we can ever compete with: LSU's easy recruiting and money, Bama's easy recruiting and money, Auburn's easier recruiting and money, A&M's easier recruiting and money, and an Arkansas program that has the Waltons and Jerry Jones, either one of which could easily out fund us at the drop of a hat. Most of these programs have flashier stadiums, a better history, more um, lets call it "booster assistance", and better college town too.

I get you want us to take the next step and I can't fault you for always trying to see a path to get there. I just don't see a way we can consistently hope to get better than a #20-25 recruiting average or a staff that isn't one of the least paid in the SEC. I mean we have like NOBODY involved in our program that has the money these other SEC boosters have

Bdawg
01-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Kinda like Clemson. Seems they have kept their main pieces together for a while. Also doesn't hurt being in the ACC and not the SEC west. Not sure what their booster situation is like either.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2019, 11:58 PM
Huff isnt going anywhere for an assistant job...the only defensive coach I have heard could leave wont be till after this coming season

fader2103
01-11-2019, 09:24 AM
I agree I don't see Huff leaving for just an assistant job. Maybe as a Co-Coordinator or HC job. Huff left PSU (a blue blood) to come with Moorhead. I think this shows he believes in what Moorhead is doing. I will say though if Huff did leave to go to Bama I wouldn't blame him. You can't blame a coach wanting to go to one of the best if not the best program college football.

Pit Bull
01-11-2019, 10:04 PM
I know Gattis is leaving for an OC job so he's getting a promotion. Locksley got a HC job. Now I'm not sure about Key but I could see Collins giving him a Co-OC title to get him a raise. They've had something like 20 different assistant coaches leave the last 3 years. The beat goes on.

And yet they keep on tickin'...?.this is where Saban is at his best.

CrazyEyeKilla
01-11-2019, 10:08 PM
It?s Bama, it won?t matter.

Todd4State
01-12-2019, 01:49 AM

The only way I see us having the kind of continuity that you are talking about happening is for there to be a MSU alum or Mississippian that is a really hot coaching prospect that takes our job where MSU is his dream job. Sort of like Cohen did in baseball and while people may not like this comparison- Freeze at Ole Miss. The closest thing that we have to that is probably Hud so unless someone emerges from within our own ranks I think the stepping stone route is the best way for us to go.

And I don't really understand what you are saying about "turn things around". We're already still where we were when Dan was here. We had a disappointing season because of the high fan expectations- but at the same time we didn't take a step back from where we have been since 2014-2017 either. We'll see how we finish in recruiting- that's the next thing. But if we are able to increase our win total per year to 9-10 and improve our recruiting at the same time and then Joe leaves in a few years we would have actually progressed. Which would in theory make us more attractive to the next coach.

Todd4State
01-12-2019, 01:54 AM
As you've noted, we aren't a national brand and so have an inherent uphill battle in recruiting (not to mention MS being a small state with 2 SEC teams in it). So we have to first establish consistent, high level coaching to change that narrative.

But we can't do that without suddenly doubling our booster contributions. We will never be able to do what LSU did and make a DC the highest paid assistant in football. We will never pull an A&M and shell out $9.5M a year for the HC and DC combo. We can't do $20M+ buyouts like Auburn and A&M. And whether it's fair or not, ADs will always like the idea of hiring a guy who's coached under Saban, so if a good DC can pick between us he'll always pick Bama. We've lost assistants to the exact same job at a higher paying schools several times

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer or a pessimist, I just don't see how we can ever compete with: LSU's easy recruiting and money, Bama's easy recruiting and money, Auburn's easier recruiting and money, A&M's easier recruiting and money, and an Arkansas program that has the Waltons and Jerry Jones, either one of which could easily out fund us at the drop of a hat. Most of these programs have flashier stadiums, a better history, more um, lets call it "booster assistance", and better college town too.

I get you want us to take the next step and I can't fault you for always trying to see a path to get there. I just don't see a way we can consistently hope to get better than a #20-25 recruiting average or a staff that isn't one of the least paid in the SEC. I mean we have like NOBODY involved in our program that has the money these other SEC boosters have

At the same time we were paying Dan significantly more than what we are paying Joe and offered Dan significantly more to stay. Since we don't have any major facility construction going on in football I have to believe that we are saving money.

To me the issue seems to be from a distance at least that at times our boosters aren't as committed to getting certain in state players as Ole Miss is at times. Yes, I'm sure we have won our fair share of bidding wars but it seems like it's only in certain parts of the state. I don't think we have ever pulled a major non-MSU fan football recruit from Madison Central for example. And then we weren't even in on Akers and Dean- those are two of the better players in Mississippi High School history and we barely even were on their radar. That has to change a little bit to where we are doing that throughout the entire state.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Bad rumor.

Looks like I was wrong.

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Looks like I was wrong.
You hearing as many as 3 leaving ?

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Yep.

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Huff isnt going anywhere for an assistant job...the only defensive coach I have heard could leave wont be till after this coming season

Incorrect.

msstate7
01-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Yep.

This counting hud?

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 01:24 PM
This counting hud?

No.

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 01:26 PM
This counting hud?
No three more in addition to HUD

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 01:27 PM
All I will say is that UF is looking for at DB coach

msstate7
01-20-2019, 01:27 PM
No.
Getsy, huff, and I assume a def coach.... please don't say shoop

dawgday166
01-20-2019, 01:28 PM
No three more in addition to HUD

Which 3? Huff, Getsy, and ??

Homedawg

2 outta 3 at this point.

msstate7

If we hold shoop that shouldn't be so bad considering shoop is a secondary guy, right?

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 01:32 PM
He is a safeties coach. we will be in the market for three coaches but I could see Hughes taking over DBs

dawgday166
01-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Our DB coaches are Shoop & TBuck. TBuck didn't go with Mullen when Mullen left. I thought he wanted to stay in MS. So that leaves Shoop and Mullen would have to fire Grantham for that to happen I think.

dawgday166
01-20-2019, 01:37 PM
He is a safeties coach. we will be in the market for three coaches but I could see Hughes taking over DBs

I love Tony Hughes, but our defensive backfield this past year was as good as it's just about ever been in the 2000's. I hope we can hold onto the D staff as is. Was very impressed with them.

What I'm scratching my head over is the offensive guys looking at options. I thought they all came here primarily cause they wanted to work with Moorhead. Now they thinking of leaving? This isn't a good sign IMO.

msstate7
01-20-2019, 01:41 PM
I love Tony Hughes, but our defensive backfield this past year was as good as it's just about ever been in the 2000's. I hope we can hold onto the D staff as is. Was very impressed with them.

What I'm scratching my head over is the offensive guys looking at options. I thought they all came here primarily cause they wanted to work with Moorhead. Now they thinking of leaving? This isn't a good sign IMO.

It doesn't take a savant to see this offense was exposed against good coaching this year

dawgday166
01-20-2019, 01:45 PM
It doesn't take a savant to see this offense was exposed against good coaching this year

Even so ... I thought Getsy, Huff, etc. believed in Joe and his offense. Has that changed for some reason? I also thought Joe was a great guy to work for. So I'm still perplexed by this somewhat.

msstate7
01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Even so ... I thought Getsy, Huff, etc. believed in Joe and his offense. Has that changed for some reason? I also thought Joe was a great guy to work for. So I'm still perplexed by this somewhat.

Well if getsy wants to go back to previous job and huff wants to go back to a blue blood, pretty obvious that confidence isn't the same, right?

ETA... maybe the emery deal made huff rethink coaching/recruiting outside the inner circles

dawgday166
01-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Well if getsy wants to go back to previous job and huff wants to go back to a blue blood, pretty obvious that confidence isn't the same, right?

That could be but in my mind if Joe wants to keep them, just tell them he needs their help to tweak offense in the ways that will make it work better in SEC. Joe has been saying he's gonna fix it ... so tell them he needs their help to do that.

Maybe they don't like Starkville tho and/or they are both getting big $$ (which may be the case with Green Bay and Saban ... both have deep pockets).

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Easy fix. Hughes is here. Promote Brad Peterson. Hire Jacob Peeler for WR coach. Done.

msstate7
01-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Easy fix. Hughes is here. Promote Brad Peterson. Hire Jacob Peeler for WR coach. Done.

Where would you put Peterson?

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Peeler is an OM fan. In his words he is home

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Our DB coaches are Shoop & TBuck. TBuck didn't go with Mullen when Mullen left. I thought he wanted to stay in MS. So that leaves Shoop and Mullen would have to fire Grantham for that to happen I think.
I've heard TBuck to FSU - but that may just be my FSU friend fapping.

Big4Dawg
01-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Why would Peeler leave OM

Irondawg
01-20-2019, 03:08 PM
I'd be indifferent about Tbuck - he's fine but not irreplaceable to me. Huff would be a big blow to recruiting and what makes it bad is there are probably only a handful of schools he'd leave for laterally and one of those may take him.

Getsy I guess I'm also indifferent only b/c of the way the offense performed overall.

Time to see what happens though

Leeshouldveflanked
01-20-2019, 03:32 PM
That’s what happens when you have lowest paid coaches in SEC...

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 03:42 PM

This is a myth. We have a fund earmarked for coaching salaries. We pay very very competitive salary for assistant coaches.
You have posted this twice but you don?t know what your talking about.

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 03:46 PM

You just like bitching about Cohen being LT 2. Even though you really don't know what you are talking about.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 03:51 PM
This is a myth. We have a fund earmarked for coaching salaries. We pay very very competitive salary for assistant coaches.

Plus I thought JoMo took ~2 million less than we would have been paying Mullen for the express purpose of having a lot more money for assistants? But really, outside of not wanting to lose anyone now due to recruiting, is there anyone on our offensive staff that has shown themselves to be irreplaceable? After what I saw this year, maybe the offensive staff could use a shakeup. On the other hand, would love to see the defensive staff stay together and definitely don't want to lose Shoop.

TUSK
01-20-2019, 04:07 PM
That?s what happens when you have lowest paid coaches in SEC...

This was released by USA Today prior to the off season coaches carousel gettin' spinnin'....

School Asst Pay Total
Alabama $6,123,723
Arkansas $3,945,000
Auburn $6,555,600
Florida $4,855,000
Georgia $6,420,000
Kentucky $4,356,000
LSU $6,470,000
Mississippi $5,025,000
MSU $3,575,000
Missouri $4,380,000
S Carolina $5,050,000
Tennessee $5,675,000
Texas A&M $6,789,640
Vanderbilt N/A

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2019, 04:13 PM
This was released by USA Today prior to the off season coaches carousel gettin' spinnin'....

School Asst Pay Total
Alabama $6,123,723
Arkansas $3,945,000
Auburn $6,555,600
Florida $4,855,000
Georgia $6,420,000
Kentucky $4,356,000
LSU $6,470,000
Mississippi $5,025,000
MSU $3,575,000
Missouri $4,380,000
S Carolina $5,050,000
Tennessee $5,675,000
Texas A&M $6,789,640
Vanderbilt N/A

It's been said on here before - that number is base pay from the school and doesn't include foundation monies.

TUSK
01-20-2019, 04:16 PM
It's been said on here before - that number is base pay from the school and doesn't include foundation monies.

Understood... I'd imagine most programs supplement those base pay numbers...

msstate7
01-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Understood... I'd imagine most programs supplement those base pay numbers...

Right. I doubt we're doing something unique

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 04:45 PM

School Asst Pay Total
Alabama $6,123,723
Arkansas $3,945,000
Auburn $6,555,600
Florida $4,855,000
Georgia $6,420,000
Kentucky $4,356,000
LSU $6,470,000
Mississippi $5,025,000
MSU $3,575,000
Missouri $4,380,000
S Carolina $5,050,000
Tennessee $5,675,000
Texas A&M $6,789,640
Vanderbilt N/A

This same source also said jomo has no buyout, which is inaccurate. So while I can't speak on other schools, I can tell you they don't have all accurate info on ours.

Todd4State
01-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Where would you put Peterson?

RB or TE. I'd talk to Hughes and Peterson about it and decide where the best fit is.

Peeler is an OM fan. In his words he is home

Of course. Most coaches aren't like Dan and say that they openly want to leave. If he's home why did he go to MSU? And I think he would welcome coming to a more stable environment than where he is now and will likely be on their third OC in three years and has a much better short term future with a more passing offense than Rich Rod's.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 04:49 PM

School Asst Pay Total
Alabama $6,123,723
Arkansas $3,945,000
Auburn $6,555,600
Florida $4,855,000
Georgia $6,420,000
Kentucky $4,356,000
LSU $6,470,000
Mississippi $5,025,000
MSU $3,575,000
Missouri $4,380,000
S Carolina $5,050,000
Tennessee $5,675,000
Texas A&M $6,789,640
Vanderbilt N/A

Yea, I would be very surprised if that info was even close to accurate having us that far behind most other SEC schools and 1.5 million behind OM. As I stated earlier, Moorhead himself is making roughly 2 million less than Mullen would have this year as a HC but yet our ENTIRE assistant budget is only 3.5 million? That doesn't even make sense.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-20-2019, 04:54 PM

Do yourself a favor and go to Brett Hudson?s Twitter at 7:26 a.m on 12/30/18 and read his article titled ?Bulldogs get deal on Coaching staff Salaries? ....

Dawgfan77
01-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to Brett Hudson?s Twitter at 7:26 a.m on 12/30/18 and read his article titled ?Bulldogs get deal on Coaching staff Salaries? ....

I?ll take my sources over Bret Hudson. We have a private fund for coaches salaries. Sometimes a coach wants to leave for reasons other than money.

Cooterpoot
01-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Everybody is right in this pay deal. Cohen did go cheap as hell, and our coaches are paid more than what’s being shown. At least some of them anyway.

TUSK
01-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Yea, I would be very surprised if that info was even close to accurate having us that far behind most other SEC schools and 1.5 million behind OM. As I stated earlier, Moorhead himself is making roughly 2 million less than Mullen would have this year as a HC but yet our ENTIRE assistant budget is only 3.5 million? That doesn't even make sense.

Well, regarding OM, ya gotta remember that those assholes somehow thought McGriff was worth $1.1 Mil.... idgits...

here's the link: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

As others have said, USA Today doesn't include compensation beyond the school's base pay...

094 Mississippi State SEC Luke Getsy $600,000
219 Mississippi State SEC Bob Shoop $400,000
231 Mississippi State SEC Mark Hudspeth $400,000
253 Mississippi State SEC Brian Baker $375,000
284 Mississippi State SEC Terrell Buckley $350,000
287 Mississippi State SEC Charles Huff $350,000
366 Mississippi State SEC Andrew Breiner $300,000
375 Mississippi State SEC Marcus Johnson $300,000
383 Mississippi State SEC Tem Lukabu $300,000
571 Mississippi State SEC Joey Jones $200,000

Pit Bull
01-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Ole Miss has always had a bigger athletic budget than us.....almost forever. Usually by 4-5 million per year on average.

maroonmania
01-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Ole Miss has always had a bigger athletic budget than us.....almost forever. Usually by 4-5 million per year on average.

Well irregardless of what OM is spending or not spending I don't believe our entire assistant budget is only 3.5 mil when we are saving 2 mil on our HC's salary. That's the main point.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-20-2019, 05:58 PM

You better say "don't say Baker!!"

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Well at least Bama and Saban aren’t ruining the SEC.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-20-2019, 07:03 PM
We supposedly had a no compete in place with all of the new assistants in place to keep them from going to another SEC school for two years....whomever we get I hope they have recruiting connections in Georgia.

Homedawg
01-20-2019, 08:27 PM
We didn't have a no compete w all of them. Just some.