01-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Reading some of these posts- holy shit.

"Fitz can't read a defense"
"Fitz can't pass"
"Below average QB"
"We lacked offensive talent"
"JoMo needs HIS QB"
"Shrader could start next year"

Let's start with some facts and then I'll give my opinion.

In our 7 wins that he led us to this year- Fitz threw 15 TD's/2 picks, 57.8%, and 170 yards per game. Amazingly, he could read a defense against those teams. He could pass against those teams. If he couldn't- those teams would have disguised coverages and fronts and kept him confused and unsuccessful in the passing game.

When Fitz had a legit WR- Fred Ross- he went to him early and often as Ross caught 68 passes and opened things up for Gray to catch 39. Fred has been the closest thing to an NFL talent at WR we have had in awhile. So again, amazingly when we had a legit WR on the team- the ball was delivered to him and he had a good season. Since we lost Ross and Gray- no WR has caught more than 27 passes.

Fitz scored more on Iowa's D than Barkley and Penn State last year- and thats without the points Guidry gave away. Did we have more talent than Penn State? Did Iowa have a bad day?

Does Fitz miss some people? Absolutely. Just like all QB's.
Does Fitz throw a hardball? Yes, he has a cannon. If he gives the NFL a shot- I think he has more success with the fatter ball and WR's that can catch.

8 wins was ridiculous with this team. JoMo in his next 2 years he probably has left as HC- wont even remotely see the type of talent we had on this team. We lose a ton of draft picks on defense and while still talented- lose the quality depth. Safety play wont even be close to what it was in 2018. Depth at DT will be a problem. Offensively- we lose 2 NFL-caliber linemen and maybe a 3rd if Williams declares (he is projected top 3 rounds in most mocks) and that is hard to replace as we saw in 2015. We also go back to our swing games being on the road next year and we were probably the worst team in the country on the road this year.

But in the end- it's about the head coach. You can't complain about what you don't have- you get the most out of what you actually do have.
If your QB is not making the reads you desire him to make- you give him less reads or change QB's. If your QB is keeping the ball too much- you call designed handoffs to the RB's or you change QB's. If you knew your WR's were dropping alot of passes in the Spring- spend the next couple of months getting more creative in the run game because they are going to drop them in the Fall. WR's cant catch? Play your 4-star freshman regardless of him being shitty at making the reads. Him having 2 catches this year is criminal after going thru Spring. Williams may make all the reads- but his ass wont be open very often. Playing Williams because he is the height you want instead of Mixon or Thomas who can get open simply hampers your offense.

Lastly- this is why I dont think JoMo will be successful at State. The reads. He is trying to teach calculus to people that need algebra. Not to mention SEC defenses. There is less time to make the reads in the SEC- plus defenses are now making audibles to combat RPO's. "HIS" QB is still going to face defenses running the playclock down on him and changing looks at the last second. We arent going to get any NFL talent at WR anytime soon that comes on campus ready to make 3 reads once he lines up. Our best returning QB is KT and that wont be close unless we find a grad transfer. He throws a more catchable ball than Fitz's fastball- but he doesnt make the correct reads at even a 50% rate. He needs algebra to get the most out of him- not calculus.

We had no identity on offense and a HC/OC that looked absolutely surprised and scared when facing good defenses. A guy that prides himself in not switching personnel or formations much against the country's best defenses. We have the talent to win maybe an 8th next year- but look for us to get outcoached a couple of times like we did this year. I will be shocked if we make the changes necessary to be successful.

dawgday166
01-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Well ... I hope you're wrong. But I fear you may be at more right than wrong. I've scratched my head over Austin Williams playing that much all year. Have also SMH over why we didn't use similar plays to AU game more often than we did after that game.

ETA: I'm still gonna give Joe more time myself tho. No sense bashing the hell out of him all the time between seasons. Wait and see what next year brings.

1bigdawg
01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
I love the offense getting a read on the defense and changing plays only to have the defense realize it and change defenses.**

Coach34
01-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Have also SMH over why we didn't use similar plays to AU game more often than we did after that game.

Because Moorhead didn't like winning that way. He wanted to run his offense.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2019, 06:48 PM
I mean yeah. Spot on

What would you have done if you were Cohen in the hiring process? Where did we miss?

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Which is the sign of a bad coach. Would rather lose his way than win someone else's.

My only hope with Moorhead is that we've seen top coaches often struggle in their first year. Kirby Smart went 7-5 at UGA with more talent than Moorhead had.

I agree that we've got to develop a culture and identity. Moorhead hasn't done that yet.

was21
01-09-2019, 06:59 PM
You didn't mention penalties. Penalties are on the coaching staff for the most part. They started early and it never really got better because they kept raising their ugly heads. Under Mullen, we were one of the least penalized teams in the SEC...all nine years.

BeardoMSU
01-09-2019, 06:59 PM

I agree with you that Joe is due a bunch of blame (as the HC, at a minimum), but I really can't see a competitive person with a winning pedigree rather lose to spite the fact his QB can't pick up "his" offense...I just can't accept that.

Beyond that...since Joe was so well liked and recommended by almost everyone (including you, if I remember), how did this ruse fool so many people? Cohen, included? And what can we do going forward?

Coach34
01-09-2019, 07:10 PM
I agree with you that Joe is due a bunch of blame (as the HC, at a minimum), but I really can't see a competitive person with a winning pedigree rather lose to spite the fact his QB can't pick up "his" offense...I just can't accept that.

Beyond that...since Joe was so well liked and recommended by almost everyone (including you, if I remember), how did this ruse fool so many people? Cohen, included? And what can we do going forward?

It's not that he would rather "lose"- its the belief that he can make his offense work if they stick with it. Hardheadedness. Joevester has to run his system and doesnt want to adapt. He knows KT will be Fitz all over again next year and doesnt want to go thru it. Knows the other QB's won't be ready. Desperate for a grad transfer

Joe is a good guy and people like him. Hell, I like him. He was successful going against lower tier defenses- just like we were this season. Fitz looked like a million dollars at times. But you cant beat top tier SEC defenses with this system unless you have Clemson talent. Guys you can make a 5 yard throw to and they take it 80 yards. We wont have that type of player here.

Jack Lambert
01-09-2019, 08:01 PM

I am glad he was bull headed and ran his offense. It sucked this year but going forward it will be beneficial.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
We weren't that good against good defenses last year either. What you saw this year was what you saw last year, in a different scheme, with pretty much the same results. You could argue the results were better, because our schedule was tougher this year, including the bowl game.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
I still find it amusing that pretty much the same people who hated Mullen's offense and really wanted him gone, now hate Moorhead because he WOULDN'T run it. Personally I have only one beef with Joe's offense. I would have played Aris Williams a lot more than Kylen Hill. That's NOT a knock on Hill and I do understand why Joe played him over Williams. I just think with our offensive line Williams was a better fit. He isn't the himerun threat Hill is, but he is going to get you more yards in a game where the running back is getting hit sooner rather than later. His pass blocking is also way better. I'm not sure that would have won us any more games though. Iowa and Florida are the only ones it might have made a difference. All that being said all this bitching is just making things harder to do what we all want. Chill out for a while.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
I am glad he was bull headed and ran his offense. It sucked this year but going forward it will be beneficial.

He didn't really. After Florida it was a hybrid that tried to preserve his philosophy while acknowledging the reality that we did not have the personnel to really run it. He is going to get time to try and make it work so we would all be better off to get behind him till that time is up. That's what I'm doing.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 08:19 PM
I agree with most of what you're saying in this thread that's why I'm cherry picking this one point for discussion:

It's not that he would rather "lose"- its the belief that he can make his offense work if they stick with it. Hardheadedness. Joevester has to run his system and doesnt want to adapt. He knows KT will be Fitz all over again next year and doesnt want to go thru it. Knows the other QB's won't be ready. Desperate for a grad transfer

Joe is a good guy and people like him. Hell, I like him. He was successful going against lower tier defenses- just like we were this season. Fitz looked like a million dollars at times. But you cant beat top tier SEC defenses with this system unless you have Clemson talent. Guys you can make a 5 yard throw to and they take it 80 yards. We wont have that type of player here.

What system can you beat Bama with if you don't have elite talent? UGA has elite talent and they couldn't do it. Auburn beat them last year but with the LB injuries we all know that wasn't a normal Bama D. Newton with top 10 talent around him, Johnny Football with top 15 talent, Deshaun Watson with top 10, and now Lawrence with top 5. It takes a damn good QB and elite talent or a generational talent and good talent, no matter what system you run.

If you look at Moorhead at PSU, he had really good skill players and a REALLY bad OL. JoMo could work around that. Here we have an average/above average OL, a really good RB, and below average receivers. That aren't trash like last year but they aren't good per se. Got open a lot and Fitz wouldn't' see. The point is that it wasn't all elite at PSU, it just seems like Moorhead has no idea who to adjust the O to the QB specifically. But I think other deficiencies he'll be able to scheme against

But back to the point, NO team will EVER score a lot of points on Bama unless they are recruiting 10 spots higher than we ever will. Doesn't matter the scheme, none of them will work vs elite defenses.

I actually think Moorheads O (given we have the appropriate QB) gives us a much better shot vs elite defenses than ******* did. Remember last year vs UGA, or Auburn? Remember vs Bama in '15 and '16, or the O's before Dak? All completely shut down vs elite Ds too. Moorheads downfield passing game gives us a better shot to win those

Jack Lambert
01-09-2019, 08:25 PM
He didn't really. After Florida it was a hybrid that tried to preserve his philosophy while acknowledging the reality that we did not have the personnel to really run it. He is going to get time to try and make it work so we would all be better off to get behind him till that time is up. That's what I'm doing.

It was pretty much his offense.

Coach34
01-09-2019, 08:26 PM
We weren't that good against good defenses last year either. What you saw this year was what you saw last year, in a different scheme, with pretty much the same results. You could argue the results were better, because our schedule was tougher this year, including the bowl game.

Well I see your posting hasnt improved since I've been away

37 on LSU- 4th in the SEC in scoring D
24 on Bama- 1st in the SEC in scoring D
45 on Kentucky- 8th in the SEC in scoring D

We averaged a TD per game more last year and brought almost everyone back. 99% of team improve a great deal when returning alot of starters in college football. We got much worse. We scored 87 points in 2 of our SEC games this year- we scored 67 in the other 6

msstate7
01-09-2019, 08:30 PM
We scored 87 points in 2 of our SEC games this year- we scored 67 in the other 6

Yikes

Coach34
01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
I still find it amusing that pretty much the same people who hated Mullen's offense and really wanted him gone, now hate Moorhead because he WOULDN'T run it.

I never hated Mullen's offense except the year we went Checkdown Charlie with Dak. Hell, I run it.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Who would some of you hired other than Moorhead? I don’t mean a coach from Troy or UAB either.

Coach34
01-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Who would some of you hired other than Moorhead? I don’t mean a coach from Troy or UAB either.

Nobody is really questioning the choice as it was when it was made- but after this season alarms are going off. Alarms in the Bryan Building as well.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Well I see your posting hasnt improved since I've been away

37 on LSU- 4th in the SEC in scoring D
24 on Bama- 1st in the SEC in scoring D
45 on Kentucky- 8th in the SEC in scoring D

We averaged a TD per game more last year and brought almost everyone back. 99% of team improve a great deal when returning alot of starters in college football. We got much worse. We scored 87 points in 2 of our SEC games this year- we scored 67 in the other 6

Neither has yours! Lol. Do you think our opponents improved a bit? Like in the only teams we played in the SEC that didn't end up ranked were Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, all of whom we beat. We beat one ranked one, the 4 losses all finished 12th or better. Three were on the road as opposed to at home last year. All of them except Bama were MUCH better this year, as was A&M. Iowa was a heck of a lot better than Louisville.

Saltydog
01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
NT

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Nobody is really questioning the choice as it was when it was made- but after this season alarms are going off. Alarms in the Bryan Building as well.

Well, most people thought it was a stupid hire to begin with. And it was done too quickly. But we?ve got him for three years and better make the best of it. I refuse to lose my shit after year one when I know we?ve got at least two more years of him. Even Mike Leach finished his first three years at WSU with losing seasons until he could get players to run his offense.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Well, most people thought it was a stupid hire to begin with. And it was done too quickly. But we?ve got him for three years and better make the best of it. I refuse to lose my shit after year one when I know we?ve got at least two more years of him. Even Mike Leach finished his first three years at WSU with losing seasons until he could get players to run his offense.

No they didn't. That's just flat out not true. It was thought to be a brilliant hire by pretty much everyone. You guys at least have room to argue about the offense, but that crack about everybody thinking it was a stupid hire just won't hunt.

TrapGame
01-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Ok, what are you hearing? Spill it.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 08:54 PM
No it wasn’t. Most of our fans weren’t happy and still aren’t Pollyanna. In your fantasy world I’m sure it was great. Look around at all the people questioning him. Many were doing it from day one.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:00 PM
No it wasn’t. Most of our fans weren’t happy and still aren’t Pollyanna. In your fantasy world I’m sure it was great. Look around at all the people questioning him. Many were doing it from day one.

Dude, your memory is short.

parabrave
01-09-2019, 09:02 PM
I agree with the trying to teach calculus to players when they need algebra. Plus the waiting till 5 seconds to call your play and 2 seconds to snap, yep that lets the Def control you play, IE Iowa. If he can't get his players to understand and comprehend what he is teaching he needs to hire someone that can.

bluelightstar
01-09-2019, 09:02 PM
As I recall, the national media loved the hire. Fans were concerned that he had never coached in the South or otherwise reacted with “Who?” On the whole, it’s hard to fault Cohen for the hire.

Homedawg
01-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Neither has yours! Lol. Do you think our opponents improved a bit? Like in the only teams we played in the SEC that didn't end up ranked were Auburn, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, all of whom we beat. We beat one ranked one, the 4 losses all finished 12th or better. Three were on the road as opposed to at home last year. All of them except Bama were MUCH better this year, as was A&M. Iowa was a heck of a lot better than Louisville.

Why did they get better and we go backwards then? How's that?

Quaoarsking
01-09-2019, 09:04 PM

What? Everyone thought it was a great hire. SPS and ED both gushed over it. National writers gushed over it.

That's one reason that a lot of the fanbase is so upset right now - we feel a little bit bamboolzed because we all thought Joe was going to be great.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Dude, your memory is short.

No it?s not. Nobody even new who his ass was. Then the talking heads started calling him a guru and some fell in line. Many still said he didn?t fit. You got caught up in the wash. Our fans are as unhappy as I?ve ever seen and that includes Croom. That doesn?t happen overnight. Jo has a lot to figure out. I?m giving him the benefit of the doubt until after next year.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 09:07 PM
What? Everyone thought it was a great hire. SPS and ED both gushed over it. National writers gushed over it.

That's one reason that a lot of the fanbase is so upset right now - we feel a little bit bamboolzed because we all thought Joe was going to be great.

No they didn’t. Not til after the presser and they bought into what was being sold.

99jc
01-09-2019, 09:14 PM
FATASS is a dead man walking not only is he Clueless as a head coach but he ruined our chance at a 10-11 win season. Everything C34 said is dead on but we have clueless fan base that will defend him until he ruins us for the next decade.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Why did they get better and we go backwards then? How's that?

I don't think we did go backwards. We went 8-4 against a tougher schedule. We were what we were on offense. It was mostly the same people. And the key postion was what he was. The receivers were not as good as last year. That combo was not good. One more time, you will not consistently score against good teams that have good defenses if you don't have a credible passing threat. We were a case study in that this year. The teams we beat either had bad pass defenses or couldn't stop the run even when they knew it was coming.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:16 PM
No they didn’t. Not til after the presser and they bought into what was being sold.

Yes, they did.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:18 PM
No it?s not. Nobody even new who his ass was. Then the talking heads started calling him a guru and some fell in line. Many still said he didn?t fit. You got caught up in the wash. Our fans are as unhappy as I?ve ever seen and that includes Croom. That doesn?t happen overnight. Jo has a lot to figure out. I?m giving him the benefit of the doubt until after next year.

Yes, they did. They might not have known his name but as soon as they found out he was Penn State's offensive coordinator, the one that saved Franklin's job, they knew who he was.

Homedawg
01-09-2019, 09:21 PM
I don't think we did go backwards. We went 8-4 against a tougher schedule. We were what we were on offense. It was mostly the same people. And the key postion was what he was. The receivers were not as good as last year. That combo was not good. One more time, you will not consistently score against good teams that have good defenses if you don't have a credible passing threat. We were a case study in that this year. The teams we beat either had bad pass defenses or couldn't stop the run even when they knew it was coming.

Offensively? Really. Dang you are either really biased or blind. We had so many returning starters and our production went down. Fla didn't have a passing threat yet they got better. So kentucky got better w a guy who can't throw and no wr and we didn't. Gotcha. Figure out the difference.
As for the tougher schedule save me- we got fla who we should have beaten, and traded in Georgia. Auburn was down big time. Spare me the tougher schedule to defend a shitty coaching job.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 09:26 PM
And then they said he would struggle recruiting down south and the Big 10 isn’t the SEC. Of course, several wanted Pruitt. But it wasn’t until a few people called him a guru and he talked shit about rings and championship standards that people got fired up.
I don’t agree that Fitz was good. But Jo, he’s no guru. I listed my issues in the Iowa thread. But I’m not giving up on him. He gets the chance to get his players and run his offense. Then it goes one way or the other.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Offensively? Really. Dang you are either really biased or blind. We had so many returning starters and our production went down. Fla didn't have a passing threat yet they got better. So kentucky got better w a guy who can't throw and no wr and we didn't. Gotcha. Figure out the difference.
As for the tougher schedule save me- we got fla who we should have beaten, and traded in Georgia. Auburn was down big time. Spare me the tougher schedule to defend a shitty coaching job.

Receivers went backwards, and they weren't all the same. The rest stayed where it was for the most part, Fitz was what he was.

Homedawg
01-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Receivers went backwards, and they weren't all the same. The rest stayed where it was for the most part, Fitz was what he was.

Stayed the same?? Hmmm. Had a 1000 yard rusher last year not get 500 yards. Avg 7 points less per sec game, make all the excuses needed, fact is anybody can see we went backwards. It's not even arguable. At all.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:48 PM
And then they said he would struggle recruiting down south and the Big 10 isn’t the SEC. Of course, several wanted Pruitt. But it wasn’t until a few people called him a guru and he talked shit about rings and championship standards that people got fired up.
I don’t agree that Fitz was good. But Jo, he’s no guru. I listed my issues in the Iowa thread. But I’m not giving up on him. He gets the chance to get his players and run his offense. Then it goes one way or the other.

As it always does. You really do have a short memory though. People were as excited as I had ever seen before the plane ever landed. You are projecting now back then. I'm not 100% sold yet either, not like most of you think I am. I love his scheme. It works. They 300lb gorilla in the room is can he recruit players to MSU that can run it. You have to give him time to try. I'm not going to do one thing that even MIGHT hinder that. That means staying positive. We have people acting like this was a sure fire 10-11 win team. It wasn't and I said so before the season. I predicted 8-4. Y'all didn't like me then either, lol. The schedule WAS tougher, and that should have been obvious even before we found out how good Kentucky and Florida were. LSU on the Bayou was going to be tougher, even if they hadn't been any better. Bama is always Bama, and that was on the road too. We wound up winning one I thought we would lose, and losing one I thought we would win. I ain't NEVER going to be furious about an 8 win season here that includes a win over the Confederates, never ever. Disappointed, sure. I had hopes we might do better than I thought we would. Take away two dropped passes and we probabaly would have. Y'all would have had your 10 too.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Stayed the same?? Hmmm. Had a 1000 yard rusher last year not get 500 yards. Avg 7 points less per sec game, make all the excuses needed, fact is anybody can see we went backwards. It's not even arguable. At all.

How many yards did the tailback postion have this year? We had a feature back last year. Not really this year, by choice. I'll agree I thought we started the wrong one this year.

Quaoarsking
01-09-2019, 09:59 PM
No they didn?t. Not til after the presser and they bought into what was being sold.

That's just not right. Maybe you didn't like him from the start, but your opinion was very rare among the fanbase until we lost to Florida. For example:

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?180699-If-my-info-from-the-Cheetah-Lounge-is-correct

117/117 likes, and this was before Moorhead was even officially announced.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 10:01 PM
That's just not right. Maybe you didn't like him from the start, but your opinion was very rare among the fanbase until we lost to Florida. For example:

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?180699-If-my-info-from-the-Cheetah-Lounge-is-correct

Yep

RougeDawg
01-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Ok, what are you hearing? Spill it.

Probably the same shit I posted about after the LSU shit show. Many many big donors and former players closely associated with the program and athletic department bombarded Cohen filling that game. He SloMo lost many of them after that, Florida and the Kentucky debacles.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2019, 10:12 PM

They liked a stripper thread on the pack. Hmmmm...earth shattering stuff. And I?ve defended Moorhead. But I also said I was concerned and needed to see how he adjusts and makes changes. It?s unreasonable to even consider firing him anyway. But there have been concerns from day one.

Homedawg
01-09-2019, 10:26 PM
How many yards did the tailback postion have this year? We had a feature back last year. Not really this year, by choice. I'll agree I thought we started the wrong one this year.

1797 last year vs 1495 this year. Next question???
Just sat it- we went backwards this year on offense.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2019, 10:41 PM
I don't think we did go backwards.

Are you a real person? Can't be.

Dawg61
01-09-2019, 10:50 PM
FATASS is a dead man walking not only is he Clueless as a head coach but he ruined our chance at a 10-11 win season. Everything C34 said is dead on but we have clueless fan base that will defend him until he ruins us for the next decade.

Again for the billionth time we were never winning 10/11 games with Fitz and our WRs. Not even with Belichick, Saban, McVay, Ditka and Andy Reid coaching us at the same time.

msstate7
01-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Again for the billionth time we were never winning 10/11 games with Fitz and our WRs. Not even with Belichick, Saban, McVay, Ditka and Andy Reid coaching us at the same time.

We were favored in 10 of our 13 games this season

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2019, 10:56 PM
How many ways can a group of people have the same discussion everyday? At this point, I don't think anyone will budge from what they think simply because the season is over.

Now we have C34 come back from the ashes to rally his troops and they all fall lockstep thinking he actually knows what the hell he's talking about. Last time I checked, no one here needs the opinion of a high school assistant coach to tell us what we saw from our SEC QB this year.

Fitz can't hit the broad side of a barn, and the injury screwed up his senior year. He wasn't the same runner this year and it didn't have anything to do with the coaching change. Moorhead needs to work to fit his scheme to the personnel and get the plays snapped quicker. I'm with Jack, in that we had reached our peaked under Mullen's half-ass efforts so a more complex offense was needed.

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2019, 10:58 PM

As has been explained here a billion times, the line is just to get action placed on both sides. It's strictly money related and isn't correlated to wins and losses.

msstate7
01-09-2019, 11:00 PM
As has been explained here a billion times, the line is just to get action placed on both sides. It's strictly money related and isn't correlated to wins and losses.

Espn FPI had us as favorite in 11 games.

DancingRabbit
01-09-2019, 11:03 PM
You could have held off until signing day.

Dawg61
01-09-2019, 11:05 PM

So what we still had Fitz and our wrs.

Gutter Cobreh
01-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Same FPI that has us ranked #8? Seems about right for you to quote it...

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72243-ESPN-final-fpi-poll-before-title-game

Sparrows2
01-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Freeze beat bama twice with QBs he found on the side of the road and are now coaching at some Juco
We had a generational QB that is about to get paid $20 million, and couldn?t beat Saban
Just keep telling yourself that we didn?t need to change schemes to get to the next level

msstate7
01-09-2019, 11:12 PM
Same FPI that has us ranked #8? Seems about right for you to quote it...

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72243-ESPN-final-fpi-poll-before-title-game

Yep. Espn computer loves us... probably our elite defense.

msstate7
01-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Freeze beat bama twice with QBs he found on the side of the road and are now coaching at some Juco
We had a generational QB that is about to get paid $20 million, and couldn?t beat Saban
Just keep telling yourself that we didn?t need to change schemes to get to the next level

Yeah, we next level offense now.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2019, 11:23 PM
His offense aint 3 reads for the QB. If it is 3 reads 1 of them is alignment of a LB or S, then the other 2 are post snap and they arent nearly as complicated as youd think.

Im worried about JoMo because we had a chance to win at least 10 this year but we failed. I do think it was a bit of a perfect storm though, Moorhead thinking his offense (which a ton of people are running its not just him) would work against anything and Fitz being asked to do something he has never been asked to do before. Moorhead should have done what we could do and not what he wanted to do, we would have won more games. Maybe he thinks its worth the trade off. I do not.

He is a good recruiter and extremely likable. I think he will get more high end talent here than Mullen ever tried to. He and the staff are tireless recruiters

maroonmania
01-09-2019, 11:28 PM
As I recall, the national media loved the hire. Fans were concerned that he had never coached in the South or otherwise reacted with ?Who?? On the whole, it?s hard to fault Cohen for the hire.

Yep, its kind of ironic that the concern when he was hired was his ability to recruit in the South, not his coaching prowess. Now its pretty much the reverse. I think overall he and his staff relate better to MS HS coaches and will recruit better overall than Mullen and staff ever did. However, I'm not sure what to think right now about his offensive coaching.

preachermatt83
01-09-2019, 11:36 PM
How many ways can a group of people have the same discussion everyday? At this point, I don't think anyone will budge from what they think simply because the season is over.

Now we have C34 come back from the ashes to rally his troops and they all fall lockstep thinking he actually knows what the hell he's talking about. Last time I checked, no one here needs the opinion of a high school assistant coach to tell us what we saw from our SEC QB this year.

Fitz can't hit the broad side of a barn, and the injury screwed up his senior year. He wasn't the same runner this year and it didn't have anything to do with the coaching change. Moorhead needs to work to fit his scheme to the personnel and get the plays snapped quicker. I'm with Jack, in that we had reached our peaked under Mullen's half-ass efforts so a more complex offense was needed.

I've read a lot of less than smart things on this board, but this may be the award winner. Wow.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2019, 11:41 PM

Vegas had us top 10 power rankings most of the year. As I have said, we could have run the Wing T and won 10 games this year.

RezDog7
01-09-2019, 11:47 PM
So when we firing Moorhead and hiring this know it all high school assistant coach? Hell, will all this talent, we should have just let ED call plays this year and we would've won 10 games; 10 17'ing games.

You folks amaze me. Y'all been bitching about something ever since this board was created. That's all y'all know how to do.

BeardoMSU
01-09-2019, 11:51 PM
I've read a lot of less than smart things on this board, but this may be the award winner. Wow.

Today's sermon from the Foam Bi....

BeardoMSU
01-09-2019, 11:54 PM
Vegas had us top 10 power rankings most of the year. As I have said, we could have run the Wing T and won 10 games this year.

Vegas also had Auburn as a top 10 team. Sometimes people get it wrong.

msstate7
01-10-2019, 12:01 AM
Vegas also had Auburn as a top 10 team. Sometimes people get it wrong.

And auburn fans wanna run Gus out of town the year after he won the west. Our fans just make excuse after excuse for joe

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
And auburn fans wanna run Gus out of town the year after he won the west. Our fans just make excuse after excuse for joe

Quit using 4 guys opinions to blanket the entire fan base with. I'd say more than 50% of knowledgeable MSU football fans aren't really digging the Moorhead hire right now. I know I'm not. He's seems super stubborn and thinks he's the smartest dude in the entire state just like Croom. He has a lot of similarities to Sly. I'm sensing the thumbing his nose at the fan base just like the Slytanic as well.

Percho
01-10-2019, 12:07 AM
1797 last year vs 1495 this year. Next question???
Just sat it- we went backwards this year on offense.

Running backs only 2017 1803 on 365 rushes adv 4-9
2018 1545 on 248 rushes adv 6.2

Ran the ball 117 times less with running backs

sandwolf
01-10-2019, 01:56 AM
Well, most people thought it was a stupid hire to begin with.

This is just completely wrong. Pretty much everyone was fired up about the hire.

msugolf
01-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Reading some of these posts- holy shit.

"Fitz can't read a defense"
"Fitz can't pass"
"Below average QB"
"We lacked offensive talent"
"JoMo needs HIS QB"
"Shrader could start next year"

Let's start with some facts and then I'll give my opinion.

In our 7 wins that he led us to this year- Fitz threw 15 TD's/2 picks, 57.8%, and 170 yards per game. Amazingly, he could read a defense against those teams. He could pass against those teams. If he couldn't- those teams would have disguised coverages and fronts and kept him confused and unsuccessful in the passing game.

When Fitz had a legit WR- Fred Ross- he went to him early and often as Ross caught 68 passes and opened things up for Gray to catch 39. Fred has been the closest thing to an NFL talent at WR we have had in awhile. So again, amazingly when we had a legit WR on the team- the ball was delivered to him and he had a good season. Since we lost Ross and Gray- no WR has caught more than 27 passes.

Fitz scored more on Iowa's D than Barkley and Penn State last year- and thats without the points Guidry gave away. Did we have more talent than Penn State? Did Iowa have a bad day?

Does Fitz miss some people? Absolutely. Just like all QB's.
Does Fitz throw a hardball? Yes, he has a cannon. If he gives the NFL a shot- I think he has more success with the fatter ball and WR's that can catch.

8 wins was ridiculous with this team. JoMo in his next 2 years he probably has left as HC- wont even remotely see the type of talent we had on this team. We lose a ton of draft picks on defense and while still talented- lose the quality depth. Safety play wont even be close to what it was in 2018. Depth at DT will be a problem. Offensively- we lose 2 NFL-caliber linemen and maybe a 3rd if Williams declares (he is projected top 3 rounds in most mocks) and that is hard to replace as we saw in 2015. We also go back to our swing games being on the road next year and we were probably the worst team in the country on the road this year.

But in the end- it's about the head coach. You can't complain about what you don't have- you get the most out of what you actually do have.
If your QB is not making the reads you desire him to make- you give him less reads or change QB's. If your QB is keeping the ball too much- you call designed handoffs to the RB's or you change QB's. If you knew your WR's were dropping alot of passes in the Spring- spend the next couple of months getting more creative in the run game because they are going to drop them in the Fall. WR's cant catch? Play your 4-star freshman regardless of him being shitty at making the reads. Him having 2 catches this year is criminal after going thru Spring. Williams may make all the reads- but his ass wont be open very often. Playing Williams because he is the height you want instead of Mixon or Thomas who can get open simply hampers your offense.

Lastly- this is why I dont think JoMo will be successful at State. The reads. He is trying to teach calculus to people that need algebra. Not to mention SEC defenses. There is less time to make the reads in the SEC- plus defenses are now making audibles to combat RPO's. "HIS" QB is still going to face defenses running the playclock down on him and changing looks at the last second. We arent going to get any NFL talent at WR anytime soon that comes on campus ready to make 3 reads once he lines up. Our best returning QB is KT and that wont be close unless we find a grad transfer. He throws a more catchable ball than Fitz's fastball- but he doesnt make the correct reads at even a 50% rate. He needs algebra to get the most out of him- not calculus.

We had no identity on offense and a HC/OC that looked absolutely surprised and scared when facing good defenses. A guy that prides himself in not switching personnel or formations much against the country's best defenses. We have the talent to win maybe an 8th next year- but look for us to get outcoached a couple of times like we did this year. I will be shocked if we make the changes necessary to be successful.

Spot on! And the word among a couple of coaches who faced us last year is that our team was one of the easiest to defend because of our scheme.

Gutter Cobreh
01-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Looks like I triggered the super fan out of hiding. You keep plugging along though Dwight and one day maybe you'll move from Assistant to the C34 to actually having the influence your bestie does.

BrunswickDawg
01-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Looks like I triggered the super fan out of hiding. You keep plugging along though Dwight and one day maybe you'll move from Assistant to the C34 to actually having the influence your bestie does.

https://media.giphy.com/media/MnhNVMOXdoAdq/giphy.gif

RezDog7
01-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Spot on! And the word among a couple of coaches who faced us last year is that our team was one of the easiest to defend because of our scheme.

It's easy to defend when your QB can't throw and/or receivers can't catch.

TrapGame
01-10-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm giving a first year head coach in the SEC a Mulligan. If he can't put the pieces together in year two of his scheme I'll go buy pitch forks and torches for everybody on this board.

thf24
01-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Stirring up the histrionic, obsessive doomsayers for even more clicks; nice move Coach.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Because Gus is playing with his players.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 09:58 AM
This is just completely wrong. Pretty much everyone was fired up about the hire.

And you're also wrong just like the others that said it. Nobody got fired up til the presser except the people that would've cheered even if we hired Hevesy.

RougeDawg
01-10-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying in this thread that's why I'm cherry picking this one point for discussion:

What system can you beat Bama with if you don't have elite talent? UGA has elite talent and they couldn't do it. Auburn beat them last year but with the LB injuries we all know that wasn't a normal Bama D. Newton with top 10 talent around him, Johnny Football with top 15 talent, Deshaun Watson with top 10, and now Lawrence with top 5. It takes a damn good QB and elite talent or a generational talent and good talent, no matter what system you run.

If you look at Moorhead at PSU, he had really good skill players and a REALLY bad OL. JoMo could work around that. Here we have an average/above average OL, a really good RB, and below average receivers. That aren't trash like last year but they aren't good per se. Got open a lot and Fitz wouldn't' see. The point is that it wasn't all elite at PSU, it just seems like Moorhead has no idea who to adjust the O to the QB specifically. But I think other deficiencies he'll be able to scheme against

But back to the point, NO team will EVER score a lot of points on Bama unless they are recruiting 10 spots higher than we ever will. Doesn't matter the scheme, none of them will work vs elite defenses.

I actually think Moorheads O (given we have the appropriate QB) gives us a much better shot vs elite defenses than ******* did. Remember last year vs UGA, or Auburn? Remember vs Bama in '15 and '16, or the O's before Dak? All completely shut down vs elite Ds too. Moorheads downfield passing game gives us a better shot to win those

Until we get a group of receivers that can simply catch the common cold, we could have Trevor Lawrence and still finish with 9 wins maximum.

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Until we get a group of receivers that can simply catch the common cold, we could have Trevor Lawrence and still finish with 9 wins maximum.

You won't see me praising our receivers, but every drop is magnified when only 1 out of 3 passes is even in the vicinity...

Really Clark?
01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
You won't see me praising our receivers, but every drop is magnified when only 1 out of 3 passes is even in the vicinity...

Of on target catchable balls, we had one of the worse catch percentages in the SEC. Not off target or hard to catch balls. Guidry was one of the worse in the league by himself at 22% drop rate. If we adjust for just league average, Fitz completes over 60% of his passes. Not the best WR in the league, just league average. Then Our QB also finishes the year league average at around 60-63% completion. Not the best passer in the league, nobody argues that but league average. This not errant throws, but throws deemed catchable.

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Of on target catchable balls, we had one of the worse catch percentages in the SEC. Not off target or hard to catch balls. Guidry was one of the worse in the league by himself at 22% drop rate. If we adjust for just league average, Fitz completes over 60% of his passes. Not the best WR in the league, just league average. Then Our QB also finishes the year league average at around 60-63% completion. Not the best passer in the league, nobody argues that but league average. This not errant throws, but throws deemed catchable.

You would think our WRs would excel with a NFL WR coach. It isn't like Getsey is a bad coach or he wouldn't have lasted at Green Bay. It also isn't like he was coaching a different position in the NFL either. Last season was just a weird season with Fitz not being able to practice with the WRs and then all the drops.

With Key's passing, what was the drop rate when he was throwing the ball compared to Fitz? Is it as simple as Fitz throws a hard to catch ball? Even then, you have to catch what hits you in the chest that would win the damn game. Perfect play call and perfect execution down to the WR just has to catch a throw that was right on the money.

sandwolf
01-10-2019, 10:42 AM
And you're also wrong just like the others that said it. Nobody got fired up til the presser except the people that would've cheered even if we hired Hevesy.

https://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/winger-complex.gif

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Again, don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying our receivers played well; they didn't. I'm saying, we amplify 2 or 3 dropped passes, but those are magnified because it was so rare for a big play pass to actually be on target. That Florida drop was early in the 3rd quarter, and Fitz spent the rest of the game short-hopping and missing receivers so we all remember the good pass.

BB30
01-10-2019, 10:51 AM
You would think our WRs would excel with a NFL WR coach. It isn't like Getsey is a bad coach or he wouldn't have lasted at Green Bay. It also isn't like he was coaching a different position in the NFL either. Last season was just a weird season with Fitz not being able to practice with the WRs and then all the drops.

With Key's passing, what was the drop rate when he was throwing the ball compared to Fitz? Is it as simple as Fitz throws a hard to catch ball? Even then, you have to catch what hits you in the chest that would win the damn game. Perfect play call and perfect execution down to the WR just has to catch a throw that was right on the money.

Or it could be the fact that our WRs aren't very good at catching the football.

It isn't always on the position coach.

Just like in baseball, you can't teach a kid to throw 90 mph doesn't matter if you were Nolan Ryan's mentor. Sometimes you either have it or you don't.

If Getsy had Clemson's WR room my guess is we would be talking about him being a pretty good WRs coach. The problem is talent, primarily a lack of talent. I don't care how much time you spend on a jugs machine once you are between the white lines it is all mental and our guys just can't catch the football. That is why very few of them had other major D1 SEC offers.

Guidry had some interest but there is a reason LSU dropped him. Other than him I don't remember a single WR in the group that was heavily recruited other than Whop.

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Just like in baseball, you can't teach a kid to throw 90 mph doesn't matter if you were Nolan Ryan's mentor. Sometimes you either have it or you don't.

If Getsy had Clemson's WR room my guess is we would be talking about him being a pretty good WRs coach. The problem is talent, primarily a lack of talent. I don't care how much time you spend on a jugs machine once you are between the white lines it is all mental and our guys just can't catch the football. That is why very few of them had other major D1 SEC offers.

Guidry had some interest but there is a reason LSU dropped him. Other than him I don't remember a single WR in the group that was heavily recruited other than Whop.

This is another reason that Joe's offense just flat out struggled. He doesn't rotate a lot so you don't need to have Bama or Clemson depth at WR but you do need 4-5 quality guys and so far we haven't proven that we have that on a consistent basis.

Really Clark?
01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

KT doesn’t throw as hard as Fitz, that’s for sure. Doesn’t have the same arm strength. Hard to chart because of a small sample size. When KT missed vs SFA, he missed very badly. That 3rd quarter was horrid. In the second quarter Williams made an incredible low and short catch on that 3rd and 20 that was way off. So he benefitted from that catch.

Made some good throws as well. The scramble throw to Aeris, mid level throw to Johnson in the first. The end zone throw to Guidry in the first was almost a TD but carried him out of bounds. In the second he missed Guidry really bad for a possible TD in a one on one but don’t know who messed that up. He threw to the front pylon and Guidry was still running straight into the end zone looking for the ball. So either wrong route or QB missed badly. Had some pressure and threw off his back foot. Hill dropped a screen pass. Seems liked there was another drop. But mostly really off throws.

https://youtu.be/IyHSm19chkM

msstate7
01-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Mixon had an Alabama offer.
Dear had sec offers.
Jackson has sec offers

Here's 4 of the top 11 sec receivers...

#4 Samuel .8403 (0 other sec offers)
#5 lipscomb .8407 (0 other sec offers)
#9 pinkney .8286 (1 other sec offer)
#11 Johnson .8615 (0 other sec offers)

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Dear had sec offers.
Jackson has sec offers

Mixon did not have an AL offer. Not a legit one. Dear and Jackson has OM. Jackson had interest from AU because of his coach. All three had injury issues throughout their careers. Two were under 5'10.

1bigdawg
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
I was cautiously optimistic when JoMo was hired. Now I am cautiously pessimistic.

We looked terrible on offense this year. JoMo has a system and wants it to work, just like Croom wanted his system, the west coast offense to work. Maybe it will improve and maybe it won't. To me, this coming year will tell the tale. I believe KT will get better. He was a winner in high school.

The irony to me is that JoMo's "brilliance" is that he developed his special offense at Fordham when he realized he did not have the talent to run whatever he previously wanted.

I don't think it is reasonable for anyone to want to fire him after one year or even two. But I also believe the die will be cast after the coming season.

msstate7
01-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Mixon did not have an AL offer. Not a legit one. Dear and Jackson has OM. Jackson had interest from AU because of his coach. All three had injury issues throughout their careers. Two were under 5'10.

Mixon wasn't sent scholarship papers on signing day?

BeardoMSU
01-10-2019, 11:23 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/81332df0326e4b6dff8bc099503cfd06/tenor.gif?itemid=10344760

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Dear had sec offers.
Jackson has sec offers

Yeah I think people are over complicating the WR talent issue. With OL or DL it can be hard to know if you have a talent or a coaching deficiency, so if a guy is low rated we assume it's a talent issue. RBs and WRs though are very easy to see. Does the RB run hard, see the holes, and have speed? You can easily tell that Hill is more talented RB than D Lee was by watching the games. Similarly for WRs, the test is very easy- are they getting open vs non-blown assignments, do they have ball skills, and do they make plays after the catch? You film tells you all you need to know about a WR.

Our ball skills aren't good, though I can't say Guidry and Mitchel are bad per se. Hands are trash all round. However, we do get open. Watch the film and Fitz didn't see a ton of open guys who are shaking off CBs at a decent rate.

Go watch the '17 seasons and I literally NEVER saw a good adjustment or a 50/50 ball completed; we had no ball skills. Hands were just as bad. Nobody got open unless there was a bust.

Our WRs went from literally the worst in the conference in '17 to probably 10th. If they could have caught they'd have been perfectly average. Certainly a thing to complain about but I'm optimistic it can be fixed with another offseason. Fitz was a bigger overall passing limitation than our WRs were, which was not the case in '17.

I don't buy for a second that hands are all talent, and jugs machines don't fix it. Tony Gonzalez couldn't catch a cold his first year in the NFL and he credits his devotion to the jugs machine that offseason as why he fixed it. It's a skill, same as footwork for a QB. Some are naturally better than others but all can become OK at it.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Yeah I think people are over complicating the WR talent issue. With OL or DL it can be hard to know if you have a talent or a coaching deficiency, so if a guy is low rated we assume it's a talent issue. RBs and WRs though are very easy to see. Does the RB run hard, see the holes, and have speed? You can easily tell that Hill is more talented RB than D Lee was by watching the games. Similarly for WRs, the test is very easy- are they getting open vs non-blown assignments, do they have ball skills, and do they make plays after the catch? You film tells you all you need to know about a WR.

Our ball skills aren't good, though I can't say Guidry and Mitchel are bad per se. Hands are trash all round. However, we do get open. Watch the film and Fitz didn't see a ton of open guys who are shaking off CBs at a decent rate.

Go watch the '17 seasons and I literally NEVER saw a good adjustment or a 50/50 ball completed; we had no ball skills. Hands were just as bad. Nobody got open unless there was a bust.

Our WRs went from literally the worst in the conference in '17 to probably 10th. If they could have caught they'd have been perfectly average. Certainly a thing to complain about but I'm optimistic it can be fixed with another offseason. Fitz was a bigger overall passing limitation than our WRs were, which was not the case in '17.

I don't buy for a second that hands are all talent, and jugs machines don't fix it. Tony Gonzalez couldn't catch a cold his first year in the NFL and he credits his devotion to the jugs machine that offseason as why he fixed it. It's a skill, same as footwork for a QB. Some are naturally better than others but all can become OK at it.

Some great points here, dude.

Lord McBuckethead
01-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Yeah, alarms were going off for me when we took the field in the 2nd half against Kentucky and we still couldn't find out how to give the OL help on Allen.
Just off the top of my head, let the back coming out of the backfield chip him on the way by and get the ball out quick on WR screens and quick slants until he stops putting the foot on the gas every single play.
Then there is putting a TE over there to help.
Then you could just scheme to the other side of the field.
Then you could roll the QB out to the other side of the field.
Then you could .....

But we didn't try a single one. And we couldn't stop committing penalties. That continued throughout the entire season, pretty reliably.

Lord McBuckethead
01-10-2019, 04:48 PM

I agree. bad hands, fitz fastballs, and WR shocked to get the ball close to them when open. Pretty much sums it up. All can be fixed though.

Bothrops
01-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Mixon wasn't sent scholarship papers on signing day?

I believe he did.

Political Hack
01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
JoMo has the talent he was handed. Even this last class. I suspect we're going to see a much different WR/TE corps in the next 2 years. I don't know if that and "his QB" will be enough, but I think he deserves the chance to show it.

Hard to be patient after giving up 5 losses with arguably the best defense we've ever had though.

Homedawg
01-10-2019, 09:05 PM
JoMo has the talent he was handed. Even this last class. I suspect we're going to see a much different WR/TE corps in the next 2 years. I don't know if that and "his QB" will be enough, but I think he deserves the chance to show it.

Hard to be patient after giving up 5 losses with arguably the best defense we've ever had though.

Well said

3rdGen
01-11-2019, 12:45 PM
KT doesn?t throw as hard as Fitz, that?s for sure. Doesn?t have the same arm strength. Hard to chart because of a small sample size. When KT missed vs SFA, he missed very badly. That 3rd quarter was horrid. In the second quarter Williams made an incredible low and short catch on that 3rd and 20 that was way off. So he benefitted from that catch.

Made some good throws as well. The scramble throw to Aeris, mid level throw to Johnson in the first. The end zone throw to Guidry in the first was almost a TD but carried him out of bounds. In the second he missed Guidry really bad for a possible TD in a one on one but don?t know who messed that up. He threw to the front pylon and Guidry was still running straight into the end zone looking for the ball. So either wrong route or QB missed badly. Had some pressure and threw off his back foot. Hill dropped a screen pass. Seems liked there was another drop. But mostly really off throws.

Good LORT!!! after watching that video im all in on a transfer or Mayden or Schrader..... I didnt really remember it like that. I saw a lot of fitz without the ZING!!!! Also saw him throwing to double coverage with a wide open receiver on the outside.

I mean the guy has wheels and maybe he has worked hard to get better but that video left a lot to be desired compared to the video i saw of Buchelle. Just my opinion.

ckDOG
01-11-2019, 01:33 PM
So Fitz gets a pass for shitty receivers but not Moorhead. So Moorhead is making the offense too complex but in the next breath you criticize him for being basic in personnel and formations?

tcdog70
01-11-2019, 02:52 PM

nope-- 2 wide ass open drops cost us a 10 win season---10-3 with those 2 catches