PDA

View Full Version : Time for solutions

CadaverDawg
01-09-2019, 05:56 PM
I've been told I need to lay off Joe, so let's talk solutions. Who gives us the best chance to be successful in 2019?
Keytaon
Shrader
Mayden
Transfer (realistic ones)

And if most say we should win 6-8 games next year, should we discuss winning like 7-8 games with a 1 year transfer or KT vs winning 5-6 with a freshman and build towards the future of this scheme?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts. Personally I'd like to see KT get a shot, but I get the feeling that Joe doesn't see him as the answer, so what if our choice is a 1 year transfer or Shrader? Just throwing out a solutions discussing topic, so I'm being more of "a solution instead of part of the problem" (right JT?)

Thoughts? How do we make the O successful, and do we look for a quick fix or think big picture?

chef dixon
01-09-2019, 06:06 PM
I would like to see KT get the nod too, but Joe can not be afraid to try other guys if he sucks

bulldawg28
01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Delete

msstate7
01-09-2019, 06:13 PM
I want an open QB competition between key, mayden, and shrader. I don't really see the need to go get a transfer bc I think we're a 6-7 win team regardless unless we land a true difference maker which I don't see happening

bulldawg28
01-09-2019, 06:13 PM
KT or Mayden.

KT has all the tools and should be ready to play at a high level.

Mayden throws a pretty/ catchable ball and ran a similar RPO system in high school.

Whomever is selected they'll need time to gel without worrying about the man behind them unless they're stinking it up.

Bothrops
01-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Unless Mayden has gotten worse since HS, you'd have to think the most polished passer steps forward.

KOdawg1
01-09-2019, 06:28 PM
I think people automatically assume KT will be the guy, but Mayden will have a say in that. I think Mayden is the guy more equipped to run the offense right now. He's a pretty good thrower and can be mobile if he has to be.

I think Shrader is the QB of the future but he needs a year to bulk up and learn this system.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Unless our receivers get better, it would’t matter if we have Pat Mahomes at QB....that being said...
15-20 touches (run/pass) to Kylin Hill
10-15 touches to back-up RB’s
5 passes to TE’s per game
15 passes to WR per game

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Unless our receivers get better, it would’t matter if we have Pat Mahomes at QB....that being said...
15-20 touches (run/pass) to Kylin Hill
10-15 touches to back-up RB’s
5 passes to TE’s per game
15 passes to WR per game

Our WRs dropped WAY to many balls, don't think I'm trying to defend them, BUT... they got open a lot this year. Like genuine separation open. Fitz was the problem- he predetermined who he was going to and every now than then looked at the #2. Sometimes he didn't' even look a the #1- see the flea flicker vs Bama. Left a lot of yards on the field because his brain would freeze up, but the WRs did fine getting open. Problem was that when we did see them they dropped it a lot, but even with that taken into consideration Fitz left about 100 yards a game on the table

chef dixon
01-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Not sure where the Mayden confidence is coming from. I?m not sure he threw 3 passes this year and all I can recall is fumbling snaps etc. If we are going to knock KT for his limited time on the field (which has not been terrible) then not sure we can know anything about Mayden.

Pit Bull
01-09-2019, 07:55 PM
We'll know a lot more after spring practice and the Spring game. I would have to say as it is now......KT, Mayden, and Shrader would be my top 3 in that order.....but it could change. None of us really know how these 3 will pan out. Should be good competition at that position regardless.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2019, 07:55 PM
I've been told I need to lay off Joe, so let's talk solutions. Who gives us the best chance to be successful in 2019?
Keytaon
Shrader
Mayden
Transfer (realistic ones)

And if most say we should win 6-8 games next year, should we discuss winning like 7-8 games with a 1 year transfer or KT vs winning 5-6 with a freshman and build towards the future of this scheme?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts. Personally I'd like to see KT get a shot, but I get the feeling that Joe doesn't see him as the answer, so what if our choice is a 1 year transfer or Shrader? Just throwing out a solutions discussing topic, so I'm being more of "a solution instead of part of the problem" (right JT?)

Thoughts? How do we make the O successful, and do we look for a quick fix or think big picture?
I haven't seen enough of any of them yet to even have an opinion. I'll wait till I do.

Jack Lambert
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
I want the best guy period. If the best guy is a freshman and we only win six ole well. Things will only be better the next season.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2019, 11:26 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but what I am hearing is that it will be Shrader and that Moorhead has little to no confidence in KT. (Big sign that he put him in at WR in the bowl)

We feel ok about Shrader but he wont be where he needs to be to win 8. We are def in the transfer market. TIFWIW to you

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 11:42 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but what I am hearing is that it will be Shrader and that Moorhead has little to no confidence in KT. (Big sign that he put him in at WR in the bowl)

We feel ok about Shrader but he wont be where he needs to be to win 8. We are def in the transfer market. TIFWIW to you

Holy hell, thanks for the info Bucky.

timotheus
01-09-2019, 11:45 PM
I feel we are heading in that direction folks.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2019, 12:34 AM
Holy hell, thanks for the info Bucky.

Me personally I want it to be KT bc he has earned it and has played well at times, but it doesnt make a damn what I want.

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 12:35 AM

Moorhead is going to lose this fanbase and his job

cheewgumm
01-10-2019, 12:51 AM
The running backs won?t get the ball that much. Ideally you?d give it to the talent ( Hill ). But, he?ll probably get 10 or less carries a game.

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 01:28 AM
Why do we have to lay off Joe? He's getting paid $3+ mill. He can handle it and if he can't he can walk. Learn how to adapt an offense to the 4* QB Keytaon. Make him and our offense successful. Keytaon is plenty talented enough. If Joe can't do that I don't want him coaching us and I'll go as far as to say if he starts Schraeder at any point barring an injury to both Key or Mayden next year I want Joe gone at the end of the 2019 season. I will know all I need to know by that point.

Todd4State
01-10-2019, 02:36 AM
The solution is you play the best QB. It's pretty simple. I don't know who that is or will be at this point but that will be determined later. I highly doubt anyone is a slam dunk right now- Key or Shrader or even a grad transfer.

The biggest thing to do right now is for Joe to try to bring in and develop players that fit his system. If he does that we will be fine.

BhamDawg205
01-10-2019, 04:56 AM
Not sure where the Mayden confidence is coming from. I?m not sure he threw 3 passes this year and all I can recall is fumbling snaps etc. If we are going to knock KT for his limited time on the field (which has not been terrible) then not sure we can know anything about Mayden.

Thank you... This could have been squashed along time ago. Hardheaded Jo should have given KT and May real time snaps. There was plenty of times, Fitz probably would have benefited from sitting a few series so him and Joe could get on the same page. KT did mostly what he was asked in his limited snaps. All I saw mainly with KT was mechanics, not knowing where to go.

bulldawg28
01-10-2019, 06:24 AM

This all day. If he trots a true Freshman out there and he doesn't produce it will be Men's basketball attendance until a new coach is hired. What I sense coming is both Mississippi schools hiring a new head coach at the same time. I honestly don't know if we can win that PR game after returning to Croom and Felker days.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Ha! We are only ahead of Missouri and Vandy in attendance in the SEC.... only 2 dropped passes from 10 wins....I set thru every home game during Tech and 10....we will win 7-9 games in 2019....

Cary Hudson's little bro
01-10-2019, 09:13 AM
We finally get a 4* QB from Nola and another from Dallas and people think an academy league true freshman from Charlotte will start? Just bc he is a Joe recruit?

JOE RECRUITED MAYDEN AT PSU and got him to sign with us.

If he doesn't like KT then I bet Mayden gets a shot first. I would hate to see KT transfer...

StarkVegasSteve
01-10-2019, 09:20 AM
If you somehow by miracle manage to pull Hurts, then he gets the job. Otherwise it's an open QB competition. And if it's an open competition Mayden and Schrader have the best chance to win. It's not a knock on KT I just don't believe he can run the offense at the level we need to be at to be successful on that side of the ball.

DownwardDawg
01-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Sadly he?s already lost a bunch of the fan base. If he turns it around and starts winning more than Mullen he will still never win the fan base. That?s the MSU way.

bluelightstar
01-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Sadly he?s already lost a bunch of the fan base. If he turns it around and starts winning more than Mullen he will still never win the fan base. That?s the MSU way.

If we're being honest, he should have pulled out all the stops to beat Florida. Short of an SEC championship, people are going to hold it against him forever that he lost to Dan Mullen in Starkville even if he does make it past Year 3.

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2019, 10:03 AM
KT and it shouldn't be a debate. All this hype on Mayden passing the ball when we have never seen it except in high school. Hell KT threw for 5k yards and 50 TDs at Landry-Walker it all matters how it translates. He is more physically mature and a better runner he should get first crack give Mayden reps in the early games if need be.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 10:03 AM
We finally get a 4* QB from Nola and another from Dallas and people think an academy league true freshman from Charlotte will start? Just bc he is a Joe recruit?

JOE RECRUITED MAYDEN AT PSU and got him to sign with us.

If he doesn't like KT then I bet Mayden gets a shot first. I would hate to see KT transfer...

Correction, Jo dropped Mayden at PSU. He recruited him early and then moved on. People at practice say Mayden throws the best ball but is the worst runner.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2019, 10:05 AM

This is why nobody likes to follow a successful coach. And it's the first time in 50+ years State fans have had the chance.

Dawgology
01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
I just have a feeling that Jalen Mayden is going to push for time. He has much more touch on his pass and was a beast in HS. I know HS isn't comparable to college but still.

Irondawg
01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
If we see Joe pursue some of these other transfer QBs then the writing is on the wall

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Why do we have to lay off Joe? He's getting paid $3+ mill. He can handle it and if he can't he can walk. Learn how to adapt an offense to the 4* QB Keytaon. Make him and our offense successful. Keytaon is plenty talented enough. If Joe can't do that I don't want him coaching us and I'll go as far as to say if he starts Schraeder at any point barring an injury to both Key or Mayden next year I want Joe gone at the end of the 2019 season. I will know all I need to know by that point.

I know we also gave Mullen hell about it but these coaches have an ego the size of Texas so adapting something that they think should work isn't their strong suit. I still have nightmares about Holloway up the gut. I am surprised the guy lived through it, just shows how much of a tough SOB he is.

Mullen also didn't adapt too well with Fitz in 2016 until late. We tried the Dak offense for most of 2016 before Mullen realized in games that Fitz could't make the decisions. 2017 was a lot more closer to the 2010 Relf offense of 1 WR option or run.

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2019, 10:46 AM

What if Schraeder comes in and throws for 65% and 250 yards per game with a 2/1 TD/int ratio? I am not saying I think it is very likely but making a hard line of if he comes in Joe should be fired is not realistic in today's college football world. You see a lot of freshman QBs actually doing well. 7 v 7 is making QBs a lot more polished coming out of high school.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2019, 10:48 AM
I know we also gave Mullen hell about it but these coaches have an ego the size of Texas so adapting something that they think should work isn't their strong suit. I still have nightmares about Holloway up the gut. I am surprised the guy lived through it, just shows how much of a tough SOB he is.

Mullen also didn't adapt too well with Fitz in 2016 until late. We tried the Dak offense for most of 2016 before Mullen realized in games that Fitz could't make the decisions. 2017 was a lot more closer to the 2010 Relf offense of 1 WR option or run.

And Tyler Russell trying to run ******* run-spread didn't work very well either, square peg,round hole. He also tried to bulk up Perkins and turn him into a up the middle power back, he was the first before Holloway.

Lord McBuckethead
I want whomever gives us the best chance to win for the long term. Can KT get to where he needs to in the next two years to give us a shot at winning the West? If not, at some point you have to look at whether Mayden can get us there in the next 3-4 years. If we do not think he can, then we have to look at if Shrader can get us there in the next 4 years. This is about winning the SEC West. If none of these players can get there, then we need to recruit someone that can within their eligibility.

Now, if we are looking at sustained success over the next decade, then you would think KT for two years, Mayden or Shrader to follow up. That gives us the most experience at the helm. But as you see this and last year, experience can be trumped by talent. Tua and TLawrence both came in, with less experience, and made their teams better from the get go. Now if Shrader can do that, fantastic. Neither KT or Mayden could beat out a fastball thrower that couldn't anticipate people getting open.

This is football. We do not have the luxury in playing people cause they earned it. WE have to play the best option for their related eligibility. I could see KT getting the nod, running the offense for two years, not competing for winning the West but putting solid win totals together to help us continue to build. Then Shrader as a RS sophomore coming in and taking over for the long haul. Same with Mayden and Shrader as a RS Junior. I could also see Shrader starting all four years and only winning 6 next year to gain the experience to be a killer his sophomore season on.

I do not see these guys in practice, so who is to know.

All I do know is that Joe has to show we are moving in the right direction, regardless of who he chooses. The fanbase can buy into building for next year, what we cannot stand is watching a team perform like UK, LSU, UF, and Iowa games.

Tbonewannabe
I just have a feeling that Jalen Mayden is going to push for time. He has much more touch on his pass and was a beast in HS. I know HS isn't comparable to college but still.

Coming from high level Texas football, you would think Mayden probably has the best experience throwing the ball.

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2019, 10:52 AM
And Tyler Russell trying to run ******* run-spread didn't work very well either, square peg,round hole. He also tried to bulk up Perkins and turn him into a up the middle power back, he was the first before Holloway.

Everyone seems to forget everything but killing an injury depleted LSU and competing with the Bama team last year. They don't want to remember the 38-7 in Tuscaloosa during We Believe or crapping the bed every year in the Egg Bowl when we had a good season.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-10-2019, 10:56 AM
1. Joe is not getting 3+ Million. He is getting 2.5 million (Lowest in SEC)
2. His staff is getting paid Lowest in SEC.
3. We were two pass completions from 10 wins.
4. Most of MSU fans don’t read MSU message boards

Commercecomet24
01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Everyone seems to forget everything but killing an injury depleted LSU and competing with the Bama team last year. They don't want to remember the 38-7 in Tuscaloosa during We Believe or crapping the bed every year in the Egg Bowl when we had a good season.

Yep, revisionist history is always the best history lol.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
If we're being honest, he should have pulled out all the stops to beat Florida. Short of an SEC championship, people are going to hold it against him forever that he lost to Dan Mullen in Starkville even if he does make it past Year 3.

You could see the weight of the world on him and the worry in his eyes when we got a penalty on the opening drive and didn't convert to keep the ball.

msstate7
01-10-2019, 11:11 AM
You could see the weight of the world on him and the worry in his eyes when we got a penalty on the opening drive and didn't convert to keep the ball.

Let's just be glad we don't play them again next season. We'd straight up be embarrassed

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
1. Joe is not getting 3+ Million. He is getting 2.5 million (Lowest in SEC)
2. His staff is getting paid Lowest in SEC.
3. We were two pass completions from 10 wins.
4. Most of MSU fans don?t read MSU message boards

Do you have a source on 2.? When he was hired he intentionally took less money so he'd have more for assistants. How bad could the initial funding have been if that bump still left us dead last?

We hired an NFL WRs coach to the same position, brought over Huff from PSU for the same position, got Huff as a TE coach, and kept Baker and TBuck. I can't imagine any of those guys got paid less than their '17 counterparts. Lukabu probably doesn't make less than the '17 S coach did, Breiner isn't cheaper than Elliot, and both Grantham and Shoop should have been on the cheap given they needed us to rebuild their resume. Johnson is probably cheaper than Hev, but then we added Joey Jones. Didn't we also expand the off field staff? Seems liek we spend more than last year on the staff.

I also don't but that we spend less than Kentucky or Vandy

Dawg61
01-10-2019, 11:54 AM
What if Schraeder comes in and throws for 65% and 250 yards per game with a 2/1 TD/int ratio? I am not saying I think it is very likely but making a hard line of if he comes in Joe should be fired is not realistic in today's college football world. You see a lot of freshman QBs actually doing well. 7 v 7 is making QBs a lot more polished coming out of high school.

Has nothing to do with Schraeder or his stats and has everything to do with the fact Moorhead is too hard headed to adapt his offense at all to his personnel. I will have seen enough by then. You don't have to be an offensive genius to win 8 games with Keytaon. The Hugh Freeze bubble screens & Crayons offense would win 8 games minimum with KT yet SloMo is refusing to adapt his offense one bit to make us and his qb successful. That's if he goes with Schrader. He still has 8 months left to stop himself from getting himself fired. Start Keytaon and adapt your offense to him and the rbs. It's really not rocket surgery.

Bdawg
01-11-2019, 12:13 PM

That makes no sense. If Shrader kicks their ass in practice, I want him starting. Not saying that will happen, but the best man needs to play. Up to Key and Jalen to not let him take their job. It's no different than what happened at Clemson or Bama. The better QB won out. And maybe Shrader takes over mid-season like Lawrence did.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2019, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see Joe hire an OC and turn over the offense.

As for QB, find a transfer and play the best guy for 2019.

BiscuitEater
01-11-2019, 12:56 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but what I am hearing is that it will be Shrader and that Moorhead has little to no confidence in KT.

That right there is the very definition of the average State fan .. picking a true freshman unseen on campus qb OVER a 4* QB with two years of part time experience and who will have gone through 3 springs, 3 falls, and a couple of bowl practices.

duncflydawg
01-11-2019, 01:17 PM
With regards to the lack of touches for our RBs, how much of that is on Fitz calling his own number? Barkley was getting 20+ touches a game while Moorhead was at Penn State. Meanwhile Kylin was getting 10 touches a game. Joes whole offense is run through a quick thinking/reacting QB, not sure he really had that last year at all. No dig at Fitz, but I think he was playing out of position his whole college career.