PDA

View Full Version : Per Rosebowl

Todd4State
01-09-2019, 12:43 AM
We're possibly trying to get this guy to come in as a grad transfer at DT.

http://attheroost.com/2018/12/07/defensive-player-of-the-year-zach-abercrumbia/

msstate7
01-09-2019, 07:39 AM
https://www.dailymemphian.com/article/2307/Graduate-transfer-hearing-from-Memphis-after-leaving-Rice

From this article: "...Marshall, Memphis, Oregon State, Penn State, SMU, Tulsa, Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech have contacted Abercrumbia about transferring to their schools for his final year...."

somebodyshotmypaw
01-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Everybody seems to think we have depth at DT. I don't. We lose Grant Harris, Simmons, Tre Brown, Hoyett, and Cory Thomas. James Jackson moved to OL. Lee Autry is the only returning player who got snaps (other than 4 game redshirt snaps). I would love to throw a JUCO or grad transfer DT into the mix with Crumedy and Lovett.

Dawgfan77
01-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Not to go down the rabbit hole but I hear Lovett is the next big DL for us. We wanted to RS due to depth but I?m told he is gonna be great. Also heard good things about Crumedy

Leeshouldveflanked
01-09-2019, 08:05 AM
You have to have more than 2-3 good DT’s..... I think we see a couple of the DE’s move inside.

msstate7
01-09-2019, 08:08 AM
You have to have more than 2-3 good DT’s..... I think we see a couple of the DE’s move inside.

Wouldn't that just leave us weak at 2 spots?

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2019, 08:15 AM
I think these grad transfers are going to be harder than hell to get. Even many blue bloods have a need and a stop gap and once these guys hit the transfer portal, it's like sharks in a meat shop.

I'm learning to not get excited about any of these guys

RougeDawg
01-09-2019, 10:13 AM
I?m learning to not get excited about anything MSU sports related. If I took the equivalent of 2018 football talent at work and ran it into the ground, I?d be fired. How our management continues to allow piss poor results is mind boggling. I thought we got rid of that with LT. loafers then Cohen allowed football mediocrity to continue without repercussion because the think like many on this board. The thinking that we are po ole Mississippi State and we can?t demand higher standards because we won?t be able to hire any coaches. Thank God most of the major corporations in this country do not have this mindset. We would still have model T?s and Pony Express over modern vehicles and internet.

Bottom line is we cannot continue to accept or overlook mediocrity, if we ever want to take the next step and bring back some championships.

RiverCityDawg
01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Everybody seems to think we have depth at DT. I don't. We lose Grant Harris, Simmons, Tre Brown, Hoyett, and Cory Thomas. James Jackson moved to OL. Lee Autry is the only returning player who got snaps (other than 4 game redshirt snaps). I would love to throw a JUCO or grad transfer DT into the mix with Crumedy and Lovett.

Plenty of people talked about us being deep at DT in 2018, but I haven't seen anyone say we will be deep there in 2919. Most seem to acknowledge that it's the biggest question mark on defense by far.

We will be counting on guys who haven't done it yet and if they can't we will not be above average next year. Linemen will get to the second level and block our good LB's, our DE's will be doubled, etc. We have to have some unknowns step up.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Who is "everybody"?

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Plenty of people talked about us being deep at DT in 2018, but I haven't seen anyone say we will be deep there in 2919. Most seem to acknowledge that it's the biggest question mark on defense by far.

We will be counting on guys who haven't done it yet and if they can't we will not be above average next year. Linemen will get to the second level and block our good LB's, our DE's will be doubled, etc. We have to have some unknowns step up.

Nobody every implied we'd be "deep" at DT in '19, I thin all somebodyshotmypaw was saying is that we do have some talent there. Young and unproven and not very deep, but at least they won't be a disaster if the guys we have are good

Ifyouonlyknew
01-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Nobody every implied we'd be "deep" at DT in '19, I thin all somebodyshotmypaw was saying is that we do have some talent there. Young and unproven and not very deep, but at least they won't be a disaster if the guys we have are good

Correct we're inexperienced not thin at DT. We'll have #'s most of it is very young hence the checking into a grad transfer. Lovett, Crumedy, Pickering, Moore (maybe), & Young (maybe) are all very very talented but also very young.

Dawgology
01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Too bad Fitz left already. We could have had Abercrumbia & Fitz....

Heyoooooooi

msstate7
01-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Is autry the only interior dlineman we will have next season that's ever recorded a college tackle?

RiverCityDawg
01-09-2019, 10:49 AM

He literally said "everyone seems to think we have depth at DT". My point is that he just made that up...No one is saying that, unless by "depth" they mean "bodies" as opposed to "bodies who we know can play to the level needed to be successful" which is what most people mean when they use the term "depth".

Commercecomet24
01-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Correct we're inexperienced not thin at DT. We'll have #'s most of it is very young hence the checking into a grad transfer. Lovett, Crumedy, Pickering, Moore (maybe), & Young (maybe) are all very very talented but also very young.

I know you mentioned Spencer might move inside. Any chance Kobe Jones plays DT some? He seems to have more of interior lineman build.

Really Clark?
01-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Kobe?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-09-2019, 11:18 AM
I know you mentioned Spencer might move inside. Any chance Kobe Jones plays DT some? He seems to have more of interior lineman build.

Kobe is more long & rangy. Not really an inside guy. Spencer came into this season almost 290lbs. He's just the most logical choice to move inside.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Kobe?

Ha! We had the same thought!

dawgday166
01-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Kobe is more long & rangy. Not really an inside guy. Spencer came into this season almost 290lbs. He's just the most logical choice to move inside.

I was thinking same thing. Kobe is already very good and can become a beast coming off the edge IMO.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info. Kobe has just always looked a little thicker to me. Our roster has has him at 6'3" 280. Spencer if he can keep his quickness at 290 would be a good one.

Bothrops
01-09-2019, 11:31 AM
No way Spencer keeps his quickness at 290. We need this transfer badly. This group of DL are going to be very good, but not for a while next season.

bulldawg28
01-09-2019, 11:49 AM
No way Spencer keeps his quickness at 290. We need this transfer badly. This group of DL are going to be very good, but not for a while next season.

Yes he will. He's an athlete he may lose speed however that quickness will still be there.

NCDawg
01-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Reckon we'll ever be back in Atlanta for the SEC Championship by 2919? Probably not. Glad I was there in 1998 for our probable one and only time.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-09-2019, 02:04 PM

He was playing DE at the beginning of the year at 288. Adding 5-10lbs isn't going to turn him into a statue.

CadaverDawg
01-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Just throw the young guys in and let them cut their teeth. Not like we're winning the West next year anyway. If we're going to rebuild, let's rebuild. Start the good rookies, start Shrader, etc.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-09-2019, 02:22 PM

I have seen it. I mentioned several times in a thread (I'll have to find it) about my concern with depth at DT. Several told me we have Adams, Rivers, etc. (they are DE, not DT). Several folks said we have depth. I want bodies to add to the competition at DT.

tcdog70
01-09-2019, 02:40 PM
across the front
Rivers-Autry-Spencer-Jones

pretty dam skippy

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 05:36 PM
across the front
Rivers-Autry-Spencer-Jones

pretty dam skippy

Which is a solid, though not elite front. You need a backup for every one of those guys if you don't want to routinely be gassed in the 4th. Adams is a good backup DE, between Lovett and Crumedy they should be able to provide one DT backup spot, but depth is still an issue and we've got to rely on unknowns.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Which is a solid, though not elite front. You need a backup for every one of those guys if you don't want to routinely be gassed in the 4th. Adams is a good backup DE, between Lovett and Crumedy they should be able to provide one DT backup spot, but depth is still an issue and we've got to rely on unknowns.

Adams Crumedy Lovett Odom Pickering Robinson & potentially Moore & Young.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Adams Crumedy Lovett Odom Pickering Robinson & potentially Moore & Young.

I just can't bring myself to expect significant time vs SEC OLs from true freshman. There's just so much technique that they aren't taught in HS, and everyone but Pickering seems like they need the weight room.

Aaron Odom, Robinson, and Lovett are the unknowns I was talking about. Odom has an extra year in the program vs the other 2 so he should be ready for sure.

We have lots of talent both old and young, it's just the young will be pressed into service out of need even if they aren't ready. That's my concern. But I'm not half as down on the DL as a whole as some posters are- we will probably have a middle of the conference kind of unit that will be even better in '20

BigEasyDawg
01-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Too bad Fitz left already. We could have had Abercrumbia & Fitz....

Heyoooooooi

I can't let this go unquoted. Rep given!

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2019, 01:22 PM
I?m learning to not get excited about anything MSU sports related. If I took the equivalent of 2018 football talent at work and ran it into the ground, I?d be fired. How our management continues to allow piss poor results is mind boggling. I thought we got rid of that with LT. loafers then Cohen allowed football mediocrity to continue without repercussion because the think like many on this board. The thinking that we are po ole Mississippi State and we can?t demand higher standards because we won?t be able to hire any coaches. Thank God most of the major corporations in this country do not have this mindset. We would still have model T?s and Pony Express over modern vehicles and internet.

Bottom line is we cannot continue to accept or overlook mediocrity, if we ever want to take the next step and bring back some championships.

What talent did we have on the offensive side of the ball? I'd say only one position group was obviously above average.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 01:25 PM
What talent did we have on the offensive side of the ball? I'd say only one position group was obviously above average.

Interior OL is all NFL guys, but the OTs and Johnson killed a lot of their effectiveness

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Interior OL is all NFL guys, but the OTs and Johnson killed a lot of their effectiveness

What? Our interior was still very very good this year. Johnson didn't hurt them at all. Our OT weren't that good against pass rush but Reese wasn't good in pass pro last year. Eiland look like he took a step back but he also got a lot of help from RB's & TE's last year.

Cary Hudson's little bro
01-10-2019, 02:08 PM
My guess for 2019

LT - Eiland, Tyre Phillips

LG - Story, D. Parker

C - Daryl Williams, D.Parker

RG - Reese, Champion

RT - C. Suggs, Dolla Bill, Cross (RS)

OR perhaps Tyre starts at LT with Eiland at RT

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2019, 02:12 PM
What? Our interior was still very very good this year. Johnson didn't hurt them at all. Our OT weren't that good against pass rush but Reese wasn't good in pass pro last year. Eiland look like he took a step back but he also got a lot of help from RB's & TE's last year.

Alot of what I noticed is our tackles are no longer pulling and crack blocking on pass plays. It appeared alot last year we were very creative in our blocking schemes to simulate plays and fool the defense. This year felt more NFL style where you line up get your splits and get your man. We struggled some with this. That is why I am pumped for Cross.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2019, 02:24 PM
My guess for 2019

LT - Eiland, Tyre Phillips

LG - Story, D. Parker

C - Daryl Williams, D.Parker

RG - Reese, Champion

RT - C. Suggs, Dolla Bill, Cross (RS)

OR perhaps Tyre starts at LT with Eiland at RT

There is 0 chance Suggs starts next year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Our interior was good, but I think they ere better in '17. Specifically they were better at run blocking

Bdawg
01-10-2019, 04:47 PM

I like your passion. But go ahead, fire moorhead year one. Who you hiring?