PDA

View Full Version : 3.9 earthquake in Hollandale (south of Greenville)

starkvegasdawg
01-08-2019, 06:41 PM
No reports of damage.

Bdawg
01-08-2019, 06:45 PM
I was not at home but my aunt lives right across the lake from me and said her lights we shaking in the house and the sound was so loud she thought it was a car wreck outside. Another friend jumped out of ladder stand close to Greenville area because he thought the stand was falling. Ha ha. I've heard about some pavement that cracked in Greenville I believe.

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Would that be considered part of the New Madrid fault line, or something different?

starkvegasdawg
01-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Would that be considered part of the New Madrid fault line, or something different?
Yes. It's New Madrid related.

msbulldog
01-08-2019, 07:14 PM
LOL. Bet ya'll didn't know Jackson sits on an inactive volcano.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Actually the Coliseum in Jackson sits directly on top of the volcano.... no joke . And Mississippi Medical Center sits on 1000’s of graves from the Mississippi Lunatic Asylum. It is estimated to be somewhere between 5000 - 7000 buried there.

Harrydawg
01-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Ah have fixed some stuff****

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2019, 08:17 PM
LOL. Bet ya'll didn't know Jackson sits on an inactive volcano.

Yep. Some of us humanities folks did actually took geology or geography while at State - lol.

I just couldn't remember if the New Madrid stretchesd that far south. I remember my geography prof doing a class long rant about "the big one was going to destroy Memphis" someday and no one is prepared for it!"

msbulldog
01-08-2019, 08:22 PM
For those of you that don't know, your homeowners policy probably doesn't cover earthquake damage. Years ago their was a similar earthquake and I got nervous, because my house was on a cliff about 100 ft. above the the Mississippi River. I called my State Farm agent and found out I had no coverage. I had it added at a cost of about another $150/yr.

Political Hack
01-08-2019, 08:42 PM
The last time the New Madrid erupted with a major EQ it rang church bells in Boston and the river flowed backwards for three days. When it happens again it's going to be one of the worst disasters this nation has ever suffered.

msbulldog
01-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Yep, flowed backwards at Vicksburg, my hometown.

fader2103
01-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Several states are exercising for a 7.7 earthquake that hits on the New Madrid fault near Memphis. Each state that would be affected will be doing stuff for it. I think the best state that is prepared for an earthquake in this area is Arkansas.

fader2103
01-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Also the river possibly only flowed backwards for a few hours. Not three days like rumored. These large earthquake happened in 1811 and large tremors lasted up into 1812 with more happening several years later. It was estimated to be a 8.6 - 8.8 earthquake.

Westdawg
01-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Several states are exercising for a 7.7 earthquake that hits on the New Madrid fault near Memphis. Each state that would be affected will be doing stuff for it. I think the best state that is prepared for an earthquake in this area is Arkansas.

Yes, Arkansas is the most prepared for it....and more specifically, individuals and their affiliated interests there.
It will eventually happen. And it will be one of the worst events in history.

Political Hack
01-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Also the river possibly only flowed backwards for a few hours. Not three days like rumored. These large earthquake happened in 1811 and large tremors lasted up into 1812 with more happening several years later. It was estimated to be a 8.6 - 8.8 earthquake.

I've always assumed the river churned in a few areas up and down the river without actually flowing north.

That may be a national level exercise you're referring to. Needs to be done for sure. I worry about Memphis.

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2019, 09:56 PM

Actually it didnt flow backwards any time. The quake made the water slow its flow and the water behind it breached the river banks. The movement and ripple effect only stopped a portion of the river less and less as you got farther from the epicenter.

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2019, 09:58 PM
The international building code also takes this in to account for the memphis area. Homes will still be 17ed because builders and the residential code is pretty weak compared to commercial building design. The R Code is better under the IBC, but still not as stringent as the IBC.

missouridawg
01-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Nm

RocketDawg
01-08-2019, 10:02 PM
For those of you that don't know, your homeowners policy probably doesn't cover earthquake damage. Years ago their was a similar earthquake and I got nervous, because my house was on a cliff about 100 ft. above the the Mississippi River. I called my State Farm agent and found out I had no coverage. I had it added at a cost of about another $150/yr.

I've had the earthquake rider for quite some time. It's pretty cheap and I think has something like a 5% deductible. Better safe than sorry with a potential 8+ not far away.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-08-2019, 10:04 PM
If there was a catastrophic earthquake, do you think the Insurance companies would actually pay?

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Nm

Mizzou - you from New Madrid? My wife is from Cape.

RezDog7
01-08-2019, 10:32 PM
If there was a catastrophic earthquake, do you think the Insurance companies would actually pay?

An insurance policy is a contract to pay. If you the right coverage, terms and conditions, it will pay.

I didn't major in geology, but I actually did stay at a holiday inn last night.

RocketDawg
01-08-2019, 11:01 PM

Don't know, but there's precedent for it in California, Alaska and other areas. Could find out if it paid there or not. I'll bet it's expensive there.

spudd21
01-08-2019, 11:01 PM
I live not far from the epicenter outside of Greenville. Sounded and felt like my house was gonna fall off the foundation. I thought it was an explosion. It lasted about four or five seconds.

oldjoedawg
01-08-2019, 11:57 PM
The last time the New Madrid erupted with a major EQ it rang church bells in Boston and the river flowed backwards for three days. When it happens again it's going to be one of the worst disasters this nation has ever suffered.

I don't know about the Mississippi flowing backwards, but I do know that Reelfoot Lake in NW Tenn was formed and the water flowed into it from the Mississippi. Reelfoot now has a huge population of Bald Eagles that nest there each year and has one of the best restaurants anywhere around sitting right on its shoreline.

dawgday166
01-09-2019, 12:00 AM
nm

missouridawg
01-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Mizzou - you from New Madrid? My wife is from Cape.

Born and raised. Parents still live there.

missouridawg
01-09-2019, 08:26 AM
I don't know about the Mississippi flowing backwards, but I do know that Reelfoot Lake in NW Tenn was formed and the water flowed into it from the Mississippi. Reelfoot now has a huge population of Bald Eagles that nest there each year and has one of the best restaurants anywhere around sitting right on its shoreline.

Great crappie fishing on Reelfoot. Watch out for the underwater stumps though. That lake is covered in them.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Went through a couple of 4.5's when I lived in Los Angeles. People in Southern Cali don't even get woke up by a 4.5, being a Mississippi boy it was pretty disconcerting to me!

ckDOG
01-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Can't recall how many I felt when I lived in Oklahoma, but the 5.8 scared the piss out of me.

fader2103
01-09-2019, 09:32 AM
I've always assumed the river churned in a few areas up and down the river without actually flowing north.

That may be a national level exercise you're referring to. Needs to be done for sure. I worry about Memphis.

Even though its a "national level exercise" per say, I don't think it can be labeled as one since states aren't receiving federal funds to exercise it. More like each state that chose to participate in it, are doing it the same day with the same exact scenario and how they would fit in the overall scheme. Kinda stupid that the federal government wants the states to exercise the scenario but won't throw money to it.

Duckdog
01-09-2019, 09:45 AM
and fantastic crappie fishing and duck hunting

Johnson85
01-09-2019, 10:16 AM
An insurance policy is a contract to pay. If you the right coverage, terms and conditions, it will pay.

I didn't major in geology, but I actually did stay at a holiday inn last night.

That's mostly how it works. But I would be concerned about payment during a catastophe like that. If you're dealing with a major, admitted company that insures a lot of houses but doesn't write a lot of earthquake riders, you're probably going to get paid without much fuss. If you're dealing with an admitted company, even if it's written an earthquake rider on each policy it offers in the state and ultimately goes under because of the exposure, you should get paid by the Mississippi Insurance Guaranty Association. But if you're dealing with any company, admitted or not, and their exposure is huge (or just huge relative to their assets), what you probably have bought with your insurance is the right to institute a lawsuit when they lowball your damages. That's what a lot of people unfortunately found out after Katrina.

Dawgology
01-09-2019, 10:39 AM
We dead

West Tn Dawg
01-09-2019, 12:01 PM
I live near Reel Foot Lake. This earth quake created Reelfoot. The earth opened up and created the lake. The river actually did flow backwards as it filled the lake.

msbulldog
01-09-2019, 01:30 PM
That's mostly how it works. But I would be concerned about payment during a catastophe like that. If you're dealing with a major, admitted company that insures a lot of houses but doesn't write a lot of earthquake riders, you're probably going to get paid without much fuss. If you're dealing with an admitted company, even if it's written an earthquake rider on each policy it offers in the state and ultimately goes under because of the exposure, you should get paid by the Mississippi Insurance Guaranty Association. But if you're dealing with any company, admitted or not, and their exposure is huge (or just huge relative to their assets), what you probably have bought with your insurance is the right to institute a lawsuit when they lowball your damages. That's what a lot of people unfortunately found out after Katrina.

Well you could always hire Dickie Scruggs, Oh wait.......

the59dawg
01-09-2019, 01:58 PM

So if it flowed backwards, where did the water coming from upstream go? That 10-15 mph water flow just could not go backwards against the oncoming flow. Might have churned and gone sideways out onto adjoining land but not backwards. Didn't have levee system back then. JMO

fader2103
01-09-2019, 02:08 PM
So if it flowed backwards, where did the water coming from upstream go? That 10-15 mph water flow just could not go backwards against the oncoming flow. Might have churned and gone sideways out onto adjoining land but not backwards. Didn't have levee system back then. JMO

It wasn't the whole river the flowed backwards, more like a Tsunami affect in areas. So yes in essence parts of the river did flow backwards by the looks to people who observed it.

West Tn Dawg
01-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Read my post above.
It did flow backwards from the South into Reelfoot Lake. The flow from the North also flowed into the Lake until it was full.

Read Here (https://rootsrated.com/stories/the-fascinating-story-behind-reelfoot-lake)

West Tn Dawg
01-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Actually a couple of great restaurants. Boyette's, Lake View and Blue Bank to name a few. Blue Bank just announced that they are going to spend over 2 mil. in renovations.

Crappie fishing and duck hunting is fabulous! (if you're lucky enough to draw a blind)

Pit Bull
01-09-2019, 04:59 PM

Let's hope us and the Dogs are not in the Liberty Bowl when the New Madrid snaps. It won't be pretty for Memphis area. Deaths will be in the tens of thousands.