PDA

View Full Version : Clemson Recruiting

Dawgfan77
01-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Last four years rankings. 11,16, 7, current 6
By contrast. Bama 1
This shows you that you can win with recruiting buy its not the end all to have top 5 classes

Matty Dispatch
01-08-2019, 07:02 AM
It's a combination of recruiting and coaching. There are a number of schools with a lot of talent and poor coaching, and a number with poor talent and excellent coaching. Clemson has continuity in it's coaching staff with some really good ones, and a really tight-nit program where they are all pulling in the same direction.

Clemson and Alabama both - it's all about the "process" or the "journey". Neither one points the the national championship as the be all end all goal. It's all about improving every day and working hard. Winning is secondary to putting forth your absolute best. It's no real secret that's what it takes to get to the top - in college football, business, etc. But to commit to that type of work ethic and mindset is extremely difficult to do, and most don't want to do it (even if they say or think they do, their actions say they don't).

Dawgfan77
01-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Another point I would like to make on WRs. Under Merlin he recruited big body athletic WR and said I?ll coach me up or small speed guys and I?ll coach him up. All those guys save Fred Ross has minimal ball skills. SloMo needs to rethink this and get more ball skilled athletes. I watched a ton of bowl games and even the small schools had better WRs than we had and I could care less if they are speed guys. We need ball skill WRs.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Clemson basically recruits South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama....why we have only lightly recruited Georgia since Jackie is beyond me.....Atlanta metro is only 4 hours from Starkville.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Clemson basically recruits South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama....why we have only lightly recruited Georgia since Jackie is beyond me.....Atlanta metro is only 4 hours from Starkville.

Clemson does really well in South Florida as well.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2019, 08:25 AM
By contrast. Bama 1
This shows you that you can win with recruiting buy its not the end all to have top 5 classes

Clemson has had very little attrition which means smaller classes which means aren't ranked as high. Their overall roster is ranked 6th based on stars.

msugolf
01-08-2019, 08:28 AM
By contrast. Bama 1

That's a little misleading, Clemson's ranking was lower due to signing smaller classes than others. They signed 17 last year, 14 year before and 21 3 years ago. If you take their average recruit ranking they are in the top 5 every year.

Bothrops
01-08-2019, 09:47 AM
It's ridiculous how many players are coming out of metro Atlanta now.

Scared_Hitless
01-08-2019, 10:17 AM
That's a little misleading, Clemson's ranking was lower due to signing smaller classes than others. They signed 17 last year, 14 year before and 21 3 years ago. If you take their average recruit ranking they are in the top 5 every year.

Exactly they are a strange breed in that they still use the developmental model with highly rated recruits. They always have strong leadership with their seniors that choose to stay.

If you honorable and dont process kids and you dont need 25 per year. They have studs everywhere regardless of rankings.

desotodawg
01-08-2019, 10:26 AM
One interesting note that the announcers said last night was how the turnover on Saban's coaching staff played a huge part of the decision of #8 WR for clemson. Dabo's staff has been the same for 6 years. while saban has turnover every year. #8 wanted to be somewhere that his coach would still be there when he graduated.

I think MSU needs to keep that in mind and try to stay as stable as possible. Rumors of coaching changes does affect recruiting.

DD

Scared_Hitless
01-08-2019, 10:34 AM
I imagine working for Dabo is much more enjoyable than working for Saban. True players coach and man of faith that treats people with respect. For Saban your a mercenary hoping to perform with elite talent and parlay that into a new gig. Works for 90% of his coordinators. This season even Locksley who has a terrible record got another gig. He is going to fail miserably.

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2019, 10:41 AM
It's ridiculous how many players are coming out of metro Atlanta now.

Trevor Lawrence came from basically the North Atlanta area also.

LanceHarbor
01-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Clemson turned the corner years ago when they were shut out of Georgia and redoubled efforts there. The December class had only one player from SC. They recruit nationally with GA, FL, NC and VA well represented.

ZedFedder
01-08-2019, 06:56 PM
If you have a great QB, it can cover a lot of areas. Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are both great ones.