PDA

View Full Version : Skull Mount

WeWillScrewItUp
01-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Who has tried doing this themselves? I killed a decent 8 point over the weekend and decided I wanted to skull mount him myself. Not big enough to pay to have done so it will be a good practice one. I started skinning the head tonight. Are there any helpful tips. I watched several YouTubes and read about it. It?s going to be an interesting experience I do believe.

basedog
01-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Who has tried doing this themselves? I killed a decent 8 point over the weekend and decided I wanted to skull mount him myself. Not big enough to pay to have done so it will be a good practice one. I started skinning the head tonight. Are there any helpful tips. I watched several YouTubes and read about it. It?s going to be an interesting experience I do believe.

I do mine, good you skinned hide off. I boil mine but on low heat. I make sure the bones don't touch the boiling pot. Take your time, I take head out from time to time and wash off meat with water hose. Be careful with the nose bones by not letting them touch pot while boiling.
Good luck.

LandDawg
01-08-2019, 09:32 PM
I?ll add to what base said. After boiling and cleaning skull thoroughly, I bleach mine. Get bleach paste that women bleach their hair with. Mix it up and paste it on the skull. Let sit for 24 hours. Most times I repeat the bleach process.

basedog
01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
I?ll add to what base said. After boiling and cleaning skull thoroughly, I bleach mine. Get bleach paste that women bleach their hair with. Mix it up and paste it on the skull. Let sit for 24 hours. Most times I repeat the bleach process.

I've never tried the bleach thing but I should try it. I get a can of white paint and spray it on, cover the antlers first, I also paint antlers with clear polyurethane, find a ole barn yard looking board to mount to.