PDA

View Full Version : Kingsbury interviewing for nfl jobs

msstate7
01-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Guess he quit at usc.

If he doesn't get an nfl job, he'll probably end up at Bama

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2019, 05:27 PM
I feel certain that he'll at least get an NFL OC job.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2019, 05:34 PM
I don't understand why NFL teams are interviewing him for HC jobs. A mediocre college coach. What am I missing?

Todd4State
01-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Why has he become such a hot commodity all of a sudden?

msstate7
01-07-2019, 05:36 PM
I don't understand why NFL teams are interviewing him for HC jobs. A mediocre college coach. What am I missing?

Pat Mahomes effect

RocketDawg
01-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Guess he quit at usc.

If he doesn't get an nfl job, he'll probably end up at Bama

I thought he was still at Texas Tech. Shows how much I keep up with the coaching carousel.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Pat Mahomes effect

We're not talking OC or QB coach though

msstate7
01-07-2019, 05:40 PM
We're not talking OC or QB coach though

Guessing... maybe Andy Reid put out word that Mahomes was really advanced and giving credit to KK. No idea, but KK's hot

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Guessing... maybe Andy Reid put out word that Mahomes was really advanced and giving credit to KK. No idea, but KK's hot

Yea a guy who's 5 games under .500 & had a losing record 4 out of 6 seasons is a hot commodity. These hires are why coaches only get 1 or 2 seasons.

Cooterpoot
01-07-2019, 05:45 PM
The NFL has run out of retreads. They're tapping the college game now.

Coursesuper
01-07-2019, 06:21 PM
He will not have to recruit talent in the NFL! He young enough to relate to players and his schemes are what the NFL owners think they want. If he can pick his spot why not go for it.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2019, 06:40 PM
He will not have to recruit talent in the NFL! He young enough to relate to players and his schemes are what the NFL owners think they want. If he can pick his spot why not go for it.

I'm not saying he shouldn't go for it. I'm saying I don't understand why NFL teams are chasing him.

Cowbell
01-07-2019, 07:54 PM
I'm not saying he shouldn't go for it. I'm saying I don't understand why NFL teams are chasing him.

This - you have to at least see him work out as an OC first and let him learn the ways of the league.

Todd4State
01-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Pat Mahomes effect

Then Dan Mullen should be an even hotter commodity. Seriously.

Coursesuper
01-07-2019, 08:11 PM

I wasn't clear, I think the NFL sees him as the guy behind these highflying college offenses, they see him as the innovator. The league is all about offense and I think they see him as the guy to make that happen.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2019, 08:13 PM

He's not a mediocre offensive coach. His short coming was recruiting & defense of which he won't have to worry about either in the NFL

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Texas Tech recruiting rankings:

2013 - 46
2014 - 40
2015 - 32
2016 - 44
2017 - 49
2018 - 72

National Offensive ranking:

2013 - 8
2014 - 10
2015 - 2
2016 - 1
2017 - 16
2018 - 12

NWADAWG
01-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Wouldn't that still be a NFL job sorta?

Dawg61
01-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Pat Mahomes effect

I also think Sean McVay's success is helping someone like KK. Young innovative offensive minded coach. Kingsbury is a great offensive coach. ESPN did a special on his offense when he got hired at TT and it's impressive to hear him speak/watch film.

Really Clark?
01-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Arizona Cardinals may be hiring him

StarkVegasSteve
01-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Arizona Cardinals may be hiring him

I'm not at all seeing the logic in this hire. He never won more than 8 games at TTU. I could understand if he's had a history of developing Pro ready QBs, but the only one he's developed is Mahomes. Mayfield and Davis Webb both left. I mean don't get me wrong he has a good pedigree because he was under Brady in NE and played under Leach but I'm just not seeing the draw here.

Really Clark?
01-08-2019, 04:01 PM
I'm not at all seeing the logic in this hire. He never won more than 8 games at TTU. I could understand if he's had a history of developing Pro ready QBs, but the only one he's developed is Mahomes. Mayfield and Davis Webb both left. I mean don't get me wrong he has a good pedigree because he was under Brady in NE and played under Leach but I'm just not seeing the draw here.

Webb was under him for more than year before leaving to Cal for 1 year. You also have his work with Case Keenum at Houston, who is still in the league. Manziel, although a head case, was really good in college.

That being said, I don?t see it either. Must be (and have heard) he is a great interview and very sharp. Maybe he translate better in the NFL just being over the offense and let the defense be run by a coordinator instead of Big 12 types. I don?t know, seems like a big stretch. Todd Monken is being interviewed by other teams and at least has a similar predigree with NFL OC experience. That makes more sense to me but who knows

StarkVegasSteve
01-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Webb was under him for more than year before leaving to Cal for 1 year. You also have his work with Case Keenum at Houston, who is still in the league. Manziel, although a head case, was really good in college.

That being said, I don?t see it either. Must be (and have heard) he is a great interview and very sharp. Maybe he translate better in the NFL just being over the offense and let the defense be run by a coordinator instead of Big 12 types. I don?t know, seems like a big stretch. Todd Monken is being interviewed by other teams and at least has a similar predigree with NFL OC experience. That makes more sense to me but who knows

If Monken and Kingsbury are getting interviews it blows my mind that Dan couldn't get one as well. Unless bringing the CC with him was a requirement they'd be fools not to at least interview him.

Cooterpoot
01-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Not many NFL teams looking to move to the power spread.

smootness
01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
I also think Sean McVay's success is helping someone like KK. Young innovative offensive minded coach. Kingsbury is a great offensive coach. ESPN did a special on his offense when he got hired at TT and it's impressive to hear him speak/watch film.

This hire is all about McVay. NFL owners and GMs have no ability to think for themselves, they just find someone who is successful and try to replicate it. The problem is, they generally replicate only the superficial aspects.

Kingsbury has been touted as an offensive genius for years, and he certainly hasn't done anything in the last 5-6 years to pad his resume. So what changed? McVay.

Look at yards/play numbers and Kingsbury's offenses aren't as impressive. He just runs a crap ton of plays, which is why his defense sucks, and why he's able to rack up big numbers. Does it actually win games? No. Is it actually innovative? No.

Pit Bull
01-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Cardinals have indeed contracted to hire Kingsbury.

fishwater99
01-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Why has he become such a hot commodity all of a sudden?

He coached Mayfield, Mahomes, Manziel, Webb and Keenum.

They think he will do wonders with Rosen...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2019, 08:19 PM
He coached Mayfield, Mahomes, Manziel, Webb and Keenum.

They think he will do wonders with Rosen...

While losing.

bulldawg28
01-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Trash hire.