PDA

View Full Version : Austin Williams

BB30
01-07-2019, 12:15 PM
What happened to him this year? I remember everyone having high expectations for him. Did he get banged up early? Or just struggle?

DanDority
01-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Not able to get separation against quality opponents, in my opinion and just not a SEC type player.

Cooterpoot
01-07-2019, 12:20 PM
He was very raw coming out of HS. Never understood the crazy talk about him being great this year.

msudawglb
01-07-2019, 12:51 PM
He was very raw coming out of HS. Never understood the crazy talk about him being great this year.

And yet on a critical 3rd down play, Austin Williams was the blocker for a pass out in the flat. He whiffed on the block and the CB blows up the play. A previous coach we had would make sure our WR?s could block.

Cooterpoot
01-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Our previous coach was also criticized for not playing younger players. He's still a RS Fr.

RiverCityDawg
01-07-2019, 01:04 PM

I think that was because he was consistently the first WR Joe or Getsy talked about when asked about who was doing well in the spring/fall camps. He earned the starting job passing more experienced guys like Thomas and Dear (not counting Mixon who was hurt). He also looked great in the spring game. And some of it was also just blind optimism since there wasn't a lot of faith in the guys we'd seen.

thf24
01-07-2019, 01:06 PM
He showed some flashes of the initial hype late in the season. I still think he'll be pretty good before he leaves, just wasn't ready this year.

I think that was because he was consistently the first WR Joe or Getsy talked about when asked about who was doing well in the spring/fall camps. He earned the starting job passing more experienced guys like Thomas and Dear (not counting Mixon who was hurt). He also looked great in the spring game. And some of it was also just blind optimism since there wasn't a lot of faith in the guys we'd seen.

As someone who's still pretty optimistic about Moorhead, I'll say one of the more alarming mistakes he made to start the year was being enamored with size/potential over experience. Slot receiver wasn't the only spot where this was a problem. I know we faulted Mullen for the reverse, but Moorhead went too far in the other direction this year.

Tbonewannabe
01-07-2019, 01:08 PM
The TD against Arkansas was a great play.

DanDority
01-07-2019, 05:11 PM
The TD against Arkansas was a great play.

Like I said, he's not an SEC player....yet!

MaroonFlounder
01-07-2019, 06:30 PM
And yet on a critical 3rd down play, Austin Williams was the blocker for a pass out in the flat. He whiffed on the block and the CB blows up the play. A previous coach we had would make sure our WR?s could block.

This.

Deddrick would have gotten the first down on the play if there was just a half ass block.