PDA

View Full Version : CBS says multiple nfl teams interested in saban

msstate7
01-06-2019, 12:32 PM
And perhaps bucs interested in smart.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/multiple-nfl-teams-are-interested-in-nick-saban-as-well-as-several-of-his-former-assistants/

This would certainly change the dynamics of the sec. All the Mullen haters better hope the bucs don't take smart

Bothrops
01-06-2019, 12:45 PM
NFL is sucking hind teat here.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 12:45 PM
They aren't leaving their Cush college jobs where they can just out recruit everyone with crazy job security.

FWIW, I think Saban would win in the NFL, but Smart would be terrible.

Smart is a recruiter and motivator. Only an average coach after that imo.

DownwardDawg
01-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Mullins to Georgia!!!!

msstate7
01-06-2019, 12:48 PM
NFL is sucking hind teat here.

In sec states. Nationally though, successful nfl coaches will always be more highly thought of in the profession

AlSwearengen
I don’t know Saban and don’t know how long he wants to coach but at this point, I don’t see any reason why he would leave bama. The only reason would be because he wanted a different challenge.

He has entered bear territory in regard to how the fans feel about him and he is just rinsing, washing, and repeating in regards to recruiting. He would have to have multiple 8-4 seasons consecutively to get the fans on his back and that isn’t going to happen.

Smart doesn’t seem like he is ready for the nfl. He hasn’t been at it very long in the college game. But you know that it is burning mullen’s ass up to hear Smart’s name and not his.

fader2103
I also think Saban would be good in the NFL. He had a horrible leadership in Miami that didn't back who he wanted.

msstate7
01-06-2019, 12:50 PM
I don’t know Saban and don’t know how long he wants to coach but at this point, I don’t see any reason why he would leave bama. The only reason would be because he wanted a different challenge.

He has entered bear territory in regard to how the fans feel about him and he is just rinsing, washing, and repeating in regards to recruiting. He would have to have multiple 8-4 seasons consecutively to get the fans on his back and that isn’t going to happen.

Smart doesn’t seem like he is ready for the nfl. He hasn’t been at it very long in the college game. But you know that it is burning mullen’s ass up to hear Smart’s name and not his.

As successful a college coach as saban has been, there's always the black eye on his resume in the nfl. Perhaps he wants to avenge that. Perhaps not

BankerDog
01-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Considering Mullen has already talked to Tampa about the job, there is nothing to be worried about. Fact of the matter is Mullen wants to be in the NFL and the Miami job is the job he really wants.

msstate7
01-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Considering Mullen has already talked to Tampa about the job, there is nothing to be worried about. Fact of the matter is Mullen wants to be in the NFL and the Miami job is the job he really wants.

Personally I wish the falcons would hire saban, bucs hire smart, and panthers hire Mullen. I don't think any of them would be better than average nfl coaches. Certainly none of them would be better than Sean Payton

Leeshouldveflanked
01-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Saban wins by “out-talenting” the competition... he doesn’t out scheme or out coach the competition... if he has less talent, he will most likely lose... that is why he lost at Miami.... I figure it is his agent just trying to get more money out of The Gumps.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 12:58 PM
I've always wondered if Saban would end his career at West Virginia.

Seems like that would be the ultimate ending for him. Go back to WV & attempt to win a title for his home state

msstate7
01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
I've always wondered if Saban would end his career at West Virginia.

Seems like that would be the ultimate ending for him. Go back to WV & attempt to win a title for his home state

He could do it

Activated Alpha
01-06-2019, 01:00 PM
How much does the average NFL coach makes? Saban, Smart, and Mullen's salaries dwarf anything they would see in the NFL. Even if you desire a new challenge, why would you give up millions of dollars just to have a new career challenge?

msstate7
01-06-2019, 01:02 PM
How much does the average NFL coach makes? Saban, Smart, and Mullen's salaries dwarf anything they would see in the NFL. Even if you desire a new challenge, why would you give up millions of dollars just to have a new career challenge?

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Payton and Carroll make 8 million

msstate7
01-06-2019, 01:04 PM
http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Payton and Carroll make 8 million

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl/highest-paid-nfl-coaches-in-2018-plus-how-compare-to-college-football-coaches.html/

This says Payton gets 9 million and gruden 10

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 01:10 PM
He could do it

Absolutely he could, which is why I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't tried yet.

I've always hoped that if Mississippi produced a great coach like Saban, that he would come back to MSU or Ole Miss at the end of his career & make a run at things

msstate7
01-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Absolutely he could, which is why I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't tried yet.

I've always hoped that if Mississippi produced a great coach like Saban, that he would come back to MSU or Ole Miss at the end of his career & make a run at things

I'd like to see him do it... sorta cheapen LSU and bama's titles under him haha

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 01:15 PM
I'd like to see him do it... sorta cheapen LSU and bama's titles under him haha

My conundrum with Saban is that he's obviously an extremely driven person & USUALLY people like that need/enjoy new challenges once they conquered something.

I'm certainly not surprised that Saban has not retired yet, but I am somewhat surprised that he hasn't gotten bored & attempted to challenge himself by taking a new job instead just enjoying the gravy train he's built at Bama.

He literally has nothing left to prove there & he doesn't need the money or job security.

msstate7
01-06-2019, 01:17 PM
My conundrum with Saban is that he's obviously an extremely driven person & USUALLY people like that need/enjoy new challenges once they conquered something.

I'm certainly not surprised that Saban has not retired yet, but I am somewhat surprised that he hasn't gotten bored & attempted to challenge himself by taking a new job.

The obvious choice for the challenge is the nfl. He failed at that, and I don't think saban has failed at much in his life. Man up, saban... play with the big boys

Get out the sec haha

dawgday166
01-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Saban might do alright in NFL but historically speaking ... almost no one makes that transition and does well. Pete Carroll did but he's one of the few. And Saban's way of ruling with an iron fist, ranting, and raving ... Carroll doesn't do that and I don't think if flies in the league.

ETA: I think Saban knows this too so he staying put. He wants to dominate ... not compete.

msstate7
01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Saban might do alright in NFL but historically speaking ... almost no one makes that transition and does well. Pete Carroll did but he's one of the few. And Saban's way of ruling with an iron fist, ranting, and raving ... Carroll doesn't do that and I don't think if flies in the league.

Carroll went nfl to college to nfl again. Carroll can coach anywhere

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Its easier with a lot more downtime

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Carroll went nfl to college to nfl again. Carroll can coach anywhere

I think Saban can as well. Remember he was Belichik's DC in Cleveland. All NFL coaches need the right QB & ownership

dawgday166
01-06-2019, 01:25 PM
The obvious choice for the challenge is the nfl. He failed at that, and I don't think saban has failed at much in his life. Man up, saban... play with the big boys

Get out the sec haha

I'm all for it. It would be nice if he'd man up.

TUSK
01-06-2019, 01:57 PM

ETA: I think Saban knows this too so he staying put. He wants to dominate ... not compete.

All true "competitors" want to "dominate"... or they wouldn't be very competitive...

Dawg61
01-06-2019, 02:15 PM
And perhaps bucs interested in smart.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/multiple-nfl-teams-are-interested-in-nick-saban-as-well-as-several-of-his-former-assistants/

This would certainly change the dynamics of the sec. All the Mullen haters better hope the bucs don't take smart

Smart leaving most likely still doesn't vault Florida and Mullen to top dog in the East.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Get out the sec haha
Saban at Bama has the best Network of bagmen, refs in his pocket, more coaches than anyone else, and best facilities. He is a great coach but in the NFL you don't get all the first round picks like he currently does.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 02:26 PM
All true "competitors" want to "dominate"... or they wouldn't be very competitive...

Initially yes, but once at some point the teenager gets tired of dominating kindergartners in dodge ball & needs a new challenge

shannondawg
01-06-2019, 04:59 PM
I've just had the feeling that if Saban wins it all this year, he may either retire or go to NFL.

What say you Tusk?

Todd4State
01-06-2019, 05:34 PM
I've just had the feeling that if Saban wins it all this year, he may either retire or go to NFL.

What say you Tusk?

If he wins Monday he will have one more NC than the Bear and he will tie the Bear for NC at Alabama. He's also about 100 wins away from the Bear's career record too. 105 to be exact at the time of this post and 104 if he wins Monday. At the rate he is currently going that's probably 7-8 more years to get 323. Joe Paterno's is the NCAA D-I leader with 409 wins. I'd estimate that it would take Saban 17-18 more years to break that record if he can keep this pace up. That would put him around age 85-86 or so.

Todd4State
01-06-2019, 05:35 PM
I think Saban can as well. Remember he was Belichik's DC in Cleveland. All NFL coaches need the right QB & ownership

He would have been a lot more successful in the NFL had Ricky Williams not bailed out on him.

TUSK
01-06-2019, 05:45 PM

What say you Tusk?

I think Miss Terry is going to retire him in TTown... I'd put the O/U on his remaining years at 4.5, but I'm no insider...

I don't believe he leaves after this season, regardless of how it ends... He's a "young" 67, and he seems to have more fun and be more relaxed each year.

Todd4State
01-06-2019, 05:59 PM
I think Miss Terry is going to retire him in TTown... I'd put the O/U on his remaining years at 4.5, but I'm no insider...

I don't believe he leaves after this season, regardless of how it ends... He's a "young" 67, and he seems to have more fun and be more relaxed each year.

Plus he is being paid a ton. For him to leave for the NFL someone is going to have to pay him more to make it worth his while. I just don't see it when the trend is to go after younger Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Lincoln Riley, and Cliff Kingsbury types of coaches right now. Maybe the old Daniel Snyder Redskins would have done it back in 2001 but it's not 2001.

shannondawg
01-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Could be just wishful thinking on my part , cause I want to see his ass gone.

ckDOG
01-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Saban wins by ?out-talenting? the competition... he doesn?t out scheme or out coach the competition... if he has less talent, he will most likely lose... that is why he lost at Miami.... I figure it is his agent just trying to get more money out of The Gumps.

This. If Saban could figure out how to make all of the draft picks from the 1st round, which is essentially is what he's able to do at Alabama, he could win in the nfl.

RocketDawg
01-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Saban's too old to switch to the NFL now.

1bigdawg
01-06-2019, 06:58 PM
After he signed the paperwork at Alabama, he told the AD, "I am not the best coach you could have hired, but I am the best recruiter."

He is out-talenting people with his great recruiting. You don't get tot do that in the NFL with the salary cap.

Todd4State
01-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Here's Saban's salary compared to NFL coaches. Basically a NFL team would have to make him the highest paid coach in the league for it to be worth his while financially assuming this is accurate.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl/highest-paid-nfl-coaches-in-2018-plus-how-compare-to-college-football-coaches.html/

99jc
01-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Saban is in T town until he dies. End of story.

tireddawg
01-07-2019, 12:52 PM
After he signed the paperwork at Alabama, he told the AD, "I am not the best coach you could have hired, but I am the best cheater.

FIFY

dawgs
01-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Here's Saban's salary compared to NFL coaches. Basically a NFL team would have to make him the highest paid coach in the league for it to be worth his while financially assuming this is accurate.

Money isn't the issue. Saban has more money than his kids' kids will need. If he wants another shot at the NFL, then he would take the pay cut (and still be making $5+M to coach, not like he's going back to a poverty lifestyle). It's just a matter of if it's something he wants to do.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that he out-talents people at bama by dominating recruiting. Can't do that in the NFL, gotta know who to cut, who to keep, where a weak spot is acceptable and where it's not. Can't stack a roster like in college.