PDA

View Full Version : Christian Pulisic - First Man

The Federalist Engineer
01-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Mr Pulisic is the first USA player to be purchased for real dollars by an Elite club. This is actually a big deal because the Euro value puts Pulisic up there with some really big time peers.

If Pulisic produces for Chelsea FC, 1/4 of the kids in America will be wearing Blue "Pulisic" jerseys this time next year. 1/4 of the fat head stickers will be Pulisic and 1/4 of the kids will be watching Chelsea at 11 am each Saturday between September and May.

Many Little boys could grow up watching EPL (September and May) and MLB (May and September)

Note:

For Soccer dorks - some might say that AC Milan bought Onyewu about 10 years ago, but that was a free transfer and he sucked. Never played beyond getting embarrassed by Club America B teamers in an exhibition game in Houston

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Yep, it's a huge move. Only thing about it that sucks is that Chelsea has a horrendous track record of ruining young talent. But two of their wingers are aging, and Hazard (their best winger) will almost certainly move to Real Madrid this summer, so he should have a tremendous opportunity to get playing time.

The Federalist Engineer
01-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Yep, it's a huge move. Only thing about it that sucks is that Chelsea has a horrendous track record of ruining young talent. But two of their wingers are aging, and Hazard (their best winger) will almost certainly move to Real Madrid this summer, so he should have a tremendous opportunity to get playing time.

They do, wasting Loftus-Cheek today for sure. But they have great failed experiments flourishing elsewhere

KDB, Salah, Lukaku, Robben, etc

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 10:10 PM
We are to world soccer what Australia is to MLB & the NFL.

There are a few players here & there but they are few & far between

Cooterpoot
01-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Duh phuck?

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Haha I don't know if that should be encouraging or not. Between Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal I don't know which would have been the best fit though. Klopp probably has the best track record with young players, but I don't think he would be breaking into the starting lineup over Salah or Mane any time soon. Arsenal still feels like an unknown quantity post-Wenger. Chelsea has the worst reputation with young talent, but he may have a great opportunity for playing time with Hazard gone and Pedro/Willian getting old...assuming they don't bring in another winger over the summer.

At least he didn't go to Manchester United.

WinningIsRelentless
01-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Duh phuck?

Right there with you

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-05-2019, 10:22 PM
We are to world soccer what Australia is to MLB & the NFL.

There are a few players here & there but they are few & far between

We're also somewhat what China is to the NBA, a huge untapped market that's becoming more and more interested in the game.

There's also a pretty good number of young Americans playing in the German Bundasliga, it just doesn't get the attention that the English Premier League does here in the US because its probably only the 3rd best league in the world and its German.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Mr Pulisic is the first USA player to be purchased for real dollars by an Elite club. This is actually a big deal because the Euro value puts Pulisic up there with some really big time peers.

If Pulisic produces for Chelsea FC, 1/4 of the kids in America will be wearing Blue "Pulisic" jerseys this time next year. 1/4 of the fat head stickers will be Pulisic and 1/4 of the kids will be watching Chelsea at 11 am each Saturday between September and May.

Many Little boys could grow up watching EPL (September and May) and MLB (May and September)

Note:

For Soccer dorks - some might say that AC Milan bought Onyewu about 10 years ago, but that was a free transfer and he sucked. Never played beyond getting embarrassed by Club America B teamers in an exhibition game in Houston

To bad he went to the Plastics. He was at a better club in Dortmund.

viverlibre
01-05-2019, 10:28 PM

In the 80s we started hearing, "in ____ (pick your time frame, 10, 20 or 30 years) soccer will be huge, everyone will be watching it, playing it, talking about it." We're still waiting, it's a niche sport and great for kids, but that's about it. I don't foresee it taking major amounts of fans from football, basketball or baseball in the near future.

BrunswickDawg
01-05-2019, 11:06 PM
In the 80s we started hearing, "in ____ (pick your time frame, 10, 20 or 30 years) soccer will be huge, everyone will be watching it, playing it, talking about it." We're still waiting, it's a niche sport and great for kids, but that's about it. I don't foresee it taking major amounts of fans from football, basketball or baseball in the near future.

Well, MLS is about to pass MLB in average attendance and will trail only the NFL in average attendance. Atlanta United easily outdraws the Braves on a regular basis. Soccer isn't a niche sport anymore.

Liverpooldawg
01-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Well, MLS is about to pass MLB in average attendance and will trail only the NFL in average attendance. Atlanta United easily outdraws the Braves on a regular basis. Soccer isn't a niche sport anymore.

I love the sport, but I don't watch MLS much, it's about on par with League One in England. Now I will say that is an improvement.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2019, 12:01 AM
I love the sport, but I don't watch MLS much, it's about on par with League One in England. Now I will say that is an improvement.

I think more than anything MLS is getting people who live in the cities more interested in soccer. An Atlanta United game is like a big time SEC match up. The couple of games I went to this year was about on par with Davis Wade on a Saturday night against the SEC West.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Duh phuck?

I'll be sure to chime in on the next baseball thread and let you know how miserable of a game it is.

Game...not sport.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-06-2019, 12:24 PM
1/4 of the kids in America will be wearing Blue "Pulisic" jerseys this time next year. 1/4 of the fat head stickers will be Pulisic and 1/4 of the kids will be watching Chelsea at 11 am each Saturday between September and May.

Many Little boys could grow up watching EPL (September and May) and MLB (May and September

No