PDA

View Full Version : Army All American Game/Charles Cross on NBC Right Now

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Charles Cross will be starting at LT for the East team

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwKLXrjV4AAP64p.jpg

Leeshouldveflanked
01-05-2019, 01:08 PM
It’s been nice being able to watch these UA and All American and see future MSU players.... hasn’t always been the case.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Have 7 on 7 camps & these all-star games created a more "group mentality" in recruiting? All the kids going to the same schools?

Leeshouldveflanked
01-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Have 7 on 7 camps & these all-star games created a more "group mentality" in recruiting? All the kids going to the same schools?

Yes... it is going the way of Travel Ball and AAU....

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Yes... it is going the way of Travel Ball and AAU....

I heard a story yesterday about the Miami Northwestern football coach taking all his kids to the Florida schools & Alabama each summer & that's how Bama got Amari Cooper.

The recruiting system has become impossible to break into

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Alabama just got a commit from a 92 rated CB. He'll never play

BankerDog
01-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Only helps us with DJ James

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 02:26 PM

True Dat!

ShotgunDawg

great point. That commitment probably closes the door with DJ & Bama unless Saban finds a turquoise shirt to offer him

msstate7

Helps auburn, not us

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Gotta worry about Auburn.

BankerDog
01-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Christian Williams, a 4* DB from Daphne, did not sign with Bama this early signing period although he has been committed to them for awhile. I expect to see him make a move towards Auburn which helps us with DJ. Living down here, you catch on to some things and it helps having some MSU guys down here.

Also something to consider..another commitment for Bama means one less spot they can sign a guy with. Byron Young is still unsigned and the Tide did sign 6 DL this early signing period. Time to see if Hughes still has it.

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Christian Williams, a 4* DB from Daphne, did not sign with Bama this early signing period although he has been committed to them for awhile. I expect to see him make a move towards Auburn which helps us with DJ. Living down here, you catch on to some things and it helps having some MSU guys down here.

Also something to consider..another commitment for Bama means one less spot they can sign a guy with. Byron Young is still unsigned and the Tide did sign 6 DL this early signing period. Time to see if Hughes still has it.

I didn't think about Young, good call.

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 02:54 PM
I see Alabama has 28 commits and one just committed on the AA bowl game that's on now. How many can they take?

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 02:55 PM
I'm not a big fan of Hilinski the 97 rated QB committed to South Carolina. I remember when SC wanted Schrader over him & then got Hilinski after Schrader committed to us.

Hilinski looks like a statue the pocket.

This is one of the many reasons why I think Schrader's rating was severely hurt by his shoulder injury & not being 100% on the Summer curcuit

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2019, 02:55 PM

LSU is the main threat for Christian Williams.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 02:57 PM
I see Alabama has 28 commits and one just committed on the AA bowl game that's on now. How many can they take?

Apparently they can count back, which is a completely dip shit rule IMO & does nothing but prop up blue bloods due to offering them an incentive to process kids & reward them for having players leave after 3 years.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Mullen just got a 98 rated DB.

It's time to accept the reality guys. Mullen may not have recruited great here, but his recruiting was more of an US problem than a him problem.

As a fan base & state, we've got to do more to sell ourselves & our brand

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Charles is doing well, haven't seen that DE get by him.

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 03:11 PM

It's time to accept the reality guys. Mullen may not have recruited great here, but his recruiting was more of an US problem than a him problem.

Mullen and the CC boys did not hustle here, like this staff is.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Mullen and the CC boys did not hustle here, like this staff is.

Agree. I'm just saying that his recruiting at Florida proves how much harder the job is at MSU. We've got to do more to boost our brand

Bothrops
01-05-2019, 03:13 PM

It's amazing to me how bama can build the depth that they do across every position group, with these kids knowing that they'll be buried from the start, and have less chance to play. It's insanity.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 03:16 PM
It's amazing to me how bama can build the depth that they do across every position group, with these kids knowing that they'll be buried from the start, and have less chance to play. It's insanity.

Not only that, but they'll process him in 2-3 years & use that extra scholly to count back & sign more than 25, which effectively prevents many other teams from becoming better.

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Agree. I'm just saying that his recruiting at Florida proves how much harder the job is at MSU. We've got to do more to boost our brand

Absolutely agree Gun, Florida has 3 natty's, tradition and Florida going for them. But, you know they got everything except florida since 1990 and Spurrier, before that they were about like us. We can do the same thing.

msstate7
01-05-2019, 03:25 PM

He also got a .94 WR out of Texas this week.

Tbonewannabe
01-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Absolutely agree Gun, Florida has 3 natty's, tradition and Florida going for them. But, you know they got everything except florida since 1990 and Spurrier, before that they were about like us. We can do the same thing.

Spurrier was the cutting edge offensive genius and also won pretty big at SC which was historically worse than us. Top 5 coaches do well everywhere.

BankerDog
01-05-2019, 04:32 PM

I admire those guys willingness to compete.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 04:43 PM
I admire those guys willingness to compete.

They could easily go to other SEC schools & actually play while competing against Bama in a real game.

I don't disagree that I respect people willing to compete, but I believe 75+% of their reasoning for choosing Bama has nothing to do with their love of competing.

MarketingBully
01-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Florida State is down and Taggert can?t coach. You add Miami hiring Diaz and if Mullen doesn?t get the best talent in Florida he really sucks at recruiting. Mullen isn?t a good recruiter but Florida recruits itself. Won?t matter though as long as Smart and Saban are recruiting at their level. He?s not going to win the East, SEC, or make it to the playoffs there but he will consistently get them 9-10 win seasons. Will that be enough though?

MarketingBully
01-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Mullen is a horrible recruiter. His staff was never built for recruiting. I think JoMo can increase our recruiting profile to a top 20 recruiter. The staff he has has a number of great recruiters in it plus we picked up Coach Hughes (the best recruiter Mullen ever had at State). Coach Huff is one of the top 10 recruiting assistants in the country, Coach Johnson is a hell of a recruiter (as witnessed by our best ever OL class). Coach Huff is the best recruiter we’ve had at State period.

Percho
01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
They could easily go to other SEC schools & actually play while competing against Bama in a real game.

I don't disagree that I respect people willing to compete, but I believe 75+% of their reasoning for choosing Bama has nothing to do with their love of competing.

How many, "Logan Young's," are there? How many? How many?

Leeshouldveflanked
01-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Lots of Dodge Chargers and Silverado’s in Tuscaloosa....and Hawaiians

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Lots of Dodge Chargers and Silverado’s in Tuscaloosa....and Hawaiians

https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/1081659154488422400?s=21

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 06:51 PM
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/1081659154488422400?s=21

Q. Dad, how much $?

Bothrops
01-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Mullen sucks at recruiting heavily sought after kids. Florida will recruit itself to an extent. MSU does not.

TUSK
01-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Q. Dad, how much $?
A. I refer you to my REC Appointed Advisor [Hands over card].

FIFY

Todd4State
01-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Mullen sucks at recruiting heavily sought after kids. Florida will recruit itself to an extent. MSU does not.

It's only a matter of time before Florida State gets a coach that will recruit and win if Taggert can't.

TUSK
01-05-2019, 08:44 PM
It's only a matter of time before Florida State gets a coach that will recruit and win if Taggert can't.

I don't know very much about Taggert, but he looks "lost as a goose", to me...

msstate7
01-05-2019, 08:53 PM
FSU is gonna look much different next season offensively if taggart lets briles run offense like he wants

Irondawg
01-05-2019, 10:22 PM
let's also remember with Mullen that he's got thompson recruiting defensive players now and players like his defense. that plus the UF name and in-state talent will keep him from ever having a really bad class there.

pilldawg
01-05-2019, 10:29 PM
let's also remember with Mullen that he's got thompson recruiting defensive players now and players like his defense. that plus the UF name and in-state talent will keep him from ever having a really bad class there.

talent that was on the field this year and he will get better offensive talent in Florida. He won?t get enough to beat Kirby though.

Goldendawg
01-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Q. Dad, how much $?

Didn't I read that a very large # of Tua's family will be at the game. Falling ticket prices or is he from a rich family?*** Paging Tusk for insight.

TUSK
01-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Didn't I read that a very large # of Tua's family will be at the game. Falling ticket prices or is he from a rich family?*** Paging Tusk for insight.

Yes.

Bdawg
01-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Not only that, but they'll process him in 2-3 years & use that extra scholly to count back & sign more than 25, which effectively prevents many other teams from becoming better.

Can you really do that? I thought you could only count back if you don't SIGN the full 25. I'm certainly not sure about this but couldn't a team just dump 10 players from last years signing class that don't look good and sign 35 the next if you had 10 EEs?

starkvegasdawg
01-06-2019, 11:02 AM

They want that natty ring even if they never set for on the field to get it.

Bdawg
01-06-2019, 11:13 AM
They want that natty ring even if they never set for on the field to get it.

Saban has to retire sometime(hoping sooner than later). Hopefully then they won't be in the championship game quite as often and a few recruits who never step on the field will branch out a little more.

1bigdawg
01-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Can you really do that? I thought you could only count back if you don't SIGN the full 25. I'm certainly not sure about this but couldn't a team just dump 10 players from last years signing class that don't look good and sign 35 the next if you had 10 EEs?

This is correct. You can sign 25 for each year. For example, if you sign 5 in the early signing and 20 in Feb, then you have 5 you can sign in Dec and count back. That leaves 25 more to be signed for the current year. Saban undersigned last year as Georgia won a few of the late recruiting battles. I think he has up to 29 this year.

Bdawg
01-06-2019, 04:35 PM
This is correct. You can sign 25 for each year. For example, if you sign 5 in the early signing and 20 in Feb, then you have 5 you can sign in Dec and count back. That leaves 25 more to be signed for the current year. Saban undersigned last year as Georgia won a few of the late recruiting battles. I think he has up to 29 this year.

Yes but you can't SIGN 25 in one class and just cut some of those player( as shotgun was saying) and then count back to some of those players you cut, right? I didn't think it worked that way.
What I'm saying is, you can't just process a guy to create more signing spots, correct? If you sign him, whether you cut him or not, he will count toward that 25?

RocketDawg
01-06-2019, 06:48 PM

They became wealthy when Bama signed him. **

1bigdawg
01-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Yes but you can't SIGN 25 in one class and just cut some of those player( as shotgun was saying) and then count back to some of those players you cut, right? I didn't think it worked that way.
What I'm saying is, you can't just process a guy to create more signing spots, correct? If you sign him, whether you cut him or not, he will count toward that 25?

That is right. Processing players only help with the 85. In Bama's case, they also lose several to the draft early.

MarketingBully
01-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Unless he starts getting top 5 classes he ain?t winning an East, SEC or national title. Not sure that winning 9-10 games a year is going to keep Gator fans happy.

3rdGen
01-06-2019, 06:55 PM
That is right. Processing players only help with the 85. In Bama's case, they also lose several to the draft early.
So if they process players and have less than 85 on the roster they still can only sign 25?
I don’t see how the rule would help at all if they just can say well we don’t have 85 on the roster so we are signing 27 or 29 this cycle to fill those spots.

Shouldn’t it be if you sign 25 and process then your SOL if they didn’t work out?

Bdawg
01-06-2019, 09:56 PM
So if they process players and have less than 85 on the roster they still can only sign 25?
I don’t see how the rule would help at all if they just can say well we don’t have 85 on the roster so we are signing 27 or 29 this cycle to fill those spots.

Shouldn’t it be if you sign 25 and process then your SOL if they didn’t work out?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's right. If you let go more than you can sign it's your own fault.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2019, 10:21 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's right. If you let go more than you can sign it's your own fault.

Bama has signed exactly 100 players since 2015. So they've averaged 25 a year, which is nice.

Problem is if they sign all of the 28 they currently have committed, they will have signed 104 from 2019 to 2016. That's over 25 a year and issue if you ask me. Just to put together an 85 man roster, of which 53 guys will actually play.

Bdawg
01-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Bama has signed exactly 100 players since 2015. So they've averaged 25 a year, which is nice.

Problem is if they sign all of the 28 they currently have committed, they will have signed 104 from 2019 to 2016. That's over 25 a year and issue if you ask me. Just to put together an 85 man roster, of which 53 guys will actually play.

Yeah I'm not sure how they signed 104 over that span. What year did the rule about the hard 25 start? Maybe that has something to do with it. But I believe 25 is probably the right number to sign each year. That should be 100 kids over a four year span. And with all the different ways of attrition at any school, getting to 85 should be pretty easy without just having to force guys out the door. But like you said earlier, not all of that 85 is going to see playing time, with 4 and 5 star guys riding the bench and maybe never seeing the field if a stud comes I behind them. At some point in times, I hope these MS guys see the general track record of those guys going to Bama and never getting PT and look to their home town option instead. Take Young and Turnage for example this year. Not super highly rated and may or may not contribute at Bama but highly likely they would at State.

TUSK
01-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how they signed 104 over that span. What year did the rule about the hard 25 start? Maybe that has something to do with it. But I believe 25 is probably the right number to sign each year. That should be 100 kids over a four year span. And with all the different ways of attrition at any school, getting to 85 should be pretty easy without just having to force guys out the door. But like you said earlier, not all of that 85 is going to see playing time, with 4 and 5 star guys riding the bench and maybe never seeing the field if a stud comes I behind them. At some point in times, I hope these MS guys see the general track record of those guys going to Bama and never getting PT and look to their home town option instead. Take Young and Turnage for example this year. Not super highly rated and may or may not contribute at Bama but highly likely they would at State.

There's a whole bunch made out of the "never see the field at Bammer" when you could "play immediately at MSU" argument... and while it's certainly more competitive to contribute at UA, I'm not sure that there's a much evidence to support how much is made of it... A good amount of signees play as FR & SO, there.

Also, you have to get in these kids' minds... they all think they are "the best thing going" in HS and maybe they just want to challenge themselves in college, as well....

Todd4State
01-07-2019, 12:06 AM
There's a whole bunch made out of the "never see the field at Bammer" when you could "play immediately at MSU" argument... and while it's certainly much more competitive to contribute at UA, I'm not sure that there's a much evidence to support it... A good amount of signees play as FR & SO, there.

Also, you have to get in these kids' minds... they all think they are "the best thing going" in HS and maybe they just want to challenge themselves in college, as well....

You're right about the last sentence. They think that if they are an All-Star at Madison Central they're good enough to start at Alabama.

Lord McBuckethead
01-07-2019, 10:44 AM
You're right about the last sentence. They think that if they are an All-Star at Madison Central they're good enough to start at Alabama.

And Saban lets them believe it, until they hit the practice field.

TStationDawg
01-07-2019, 12:34 PM
And Saban lets them believe it, until they hit the practice field.

As he should! That's his job! It's called recruiting for a reason! That's what I would want our coaches to do as well! Bear Bryant did it as well as anyone! The pitch SHOULD be "Heck kid, I believe you are as good as YOU think you are!" Come practice time "now its time to show all of us what we thought was right!" There is nothing nefarious there...anyone who wants to talk to the talk, at some point, has to prove they can walk the walk as well. That's life....and not limited to sports!

Jack Lambert
01-07-2019, 12:42 PM

California is not a hard trip from Hawaii. Way closer and easier then Alabama. The women might be easier in Alabama.

Bdawg
01-07-2019, 07:28 PM
There's a whole bunch made out of the "never see the field at Bammer" when you could "play immediately at MSU" argument... and while it's certainly more competitive to contribute at UA, I'm not sure that there's a much evidence to support how much is made of it... A good amount of signees play as FR & SO, there.

First, I never said play immediately at State but I did say contribute. And yes I believe there have been more that rarely played at Bama that could have been good contributors at state. This is a testament to how well Bama recruits and has tremendous depth. But that depth can swallow you up if you are not an awesome player. There have been plenty of times where we could have used some MS players sitting on your bench because of recruiting woes or depth issues. I do agree with your last statement though