PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't KT Be as Good of a Runner as Fitz?

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Just listened to Thunder & Lightening & Hadad was going on & on about how much better the passing game will have to be next year because KT won't be able to run as well as Fitz.

Why not? Have these people actually watched KT play?

In 2017, Fitz averaged 6.07 yards per rush & KT averaged 5.95 per rush.

In 2018, Fitz averaged 5.07 yards per rush while KT averaged 9.42 yards per rush.

Now, I completely realize that KT won't tally the same total rushing yards as Fitz due to only starting for 2 years vs 3 & also because he isn't quite built to take the pounding like Fitz on a play to play basis.

Saying all that though, I think that KT is quicker than Fitz & can absolutely run at the same level. Has anything we've seen in games KT insinuated otherwise?

Rawdawg
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Because statistically Fitz is the best running QB in the history of the conference. So in order to be a better runner than Fitz, you in turn have to be the best running QB in the history of the conference.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
No idea if he can or not, but fitz was pretty damn good...

ESPN QBR Run EPA:
2016 - 2nd nationally
2017 - 5th nationally
2018 - 9th nationally

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 04:13 PM
I dont want him to run as much as Fitz. Give the damn ball to Kylin please! Let him take on the workload and we will be a better rushing team. I think we have all saw that KT is a dynamic runner not concerned.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Because statistically Fitz is the best running QB in the history of the conference. So in order to be a better runner than Fitz, you in turn have to be the best running QB in the history of the conference.

Meh. No doubt Fitz was a great runner, but the offense he played in, years starting, & his lack of passing ability had a ton to do with his overall accumulation. The only part of the running game where I think Fitz is heads & shoulders better than KT is durability due to his size.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:16 PM
No idea if he can or not, but fitz was pretty damn good...

ESPN QBR Run EPA:
2016 - 2nd nationally
2017 - 5th nationally
2018 - 9th nationally

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

No doubt, but what have you seen with your eyes that tell you that KT can't be a great runner as well?

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:17 PM
I dont want him to run as much as Fitz. Give the damn ball to Kylin please! Let him take on the workload and we will be a better rushing team. I think we have all saw that KT is a dynamic runner not concerned.

Agree completely. I think whatever rushing we lose from Fitz to KT will be made up by the RBs getting the ball more often.

KT can really run.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-04-2019, 04:18 PM
The only stats from next year's QB I'm interested in are 3rd down completion % & 3rd down conversion %. I was of the mind that Fitz was our best option but at no point this year did I have any faith in us converting anything further than 3rd & 3. If anybody has those numbers for Fitz, or knows a reference site that would have it, I'd love to see them.

ETA - to the OP's point I think Key can be just as good of a runner as Fitz was this year. No point in comparing him to Fitz's numbers under Mullen, the post was strictly about their abilities as a runner. I think Fitz was best as a downhill runner, and thus a better running QB for designed runs but I rarely remember him being able to scramble and make someone miss, which I think Key may be better at. I think less designed runs & more bootlegs, plays to get him out in space with a run/throw read can help Key.

Connected to the 3rd down #s - If Fitz was able to go through his progressions & decide when he should tuck & run he would've been much more dangerous. Seems like if it was a designed pass he was gonna either pass it or take the sack.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Another thing that KT can do better than Fitz is a touch pass, while his accuracy is still a work in progress go watch the spring game he throws a much more catchable ball than Fitz. I hope with that and Kylin hopefully getting 250-300 carries we have a more successful offense.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTD4R_F75M

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2019, 04:25 PM
KT can win the whole 17n thing with his abilities and teamwork. That is all.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 04:28 PM
All I know is when he signed 2 years ago I said that is the guy that will exceed Dak. Now that was with Mullen, but I am not giving up on KT yet. I think he has something special. We always said when him and Kylin were the lead dawgs it was going to be special let's find out. Hail State.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Another thing that KT can do better than Fitz is a touch pass, while his accuracy is still a work in progress go watch the spring game he throws a much more catchable ball than Fitz. I hope with that and Kylin hopefully getting 250-300 carries we have a more successful offense.

Yeah this is the big thing to me. When Fitz was off by a yard or 2 it was coming in at 95 mph so our WRs often dropped it or couldn't even make a play on it. Even if Key's accuracy is no better than Fitz', our WRs should have a better chance at making a play on the ball. That said, I think one reason Fitz' interception numbers weren't worse is many of those inaccurate passes were on a rope & the defense couldn't get to it either... so I think we could see a higher completion % but also more picks.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 04:40 PM
The thing I struggle with with KT is that things don't add up.

He was highly recruited, has great size, speed, feet, & looks the part EVERY.TIME.HE.HAS.PLAYED

Fitz looked terrible at times & in certain games & people say at practice Fitz looks much better than KT.

So things aren't adding up here for me: Either Fitz was way better in practice than in games or KT is way better in games than he is in practice. It doesn't make any sense any other way.

TrapGame
01-04-2019, 04:42 PM
KT sure as hell needs to be a better passing QB than Fitz. I don't really care if KT can't run it as good as Fitz. I want to see us develop a deep threat. That right there will open up lanes for KH and KT to have big chunk runs.

BB30
01-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I think KT will most definitely fit what JOMO wants to do both in the run and pass from the QB position. Dan needed a big bruiser at QB that could handle getting pounded. I don't think JOMO needs that type of runner out of his QB.

KT also looked a bit quicker than Fitz did this year for obvious reasons. I still don't think Fitz was ever quite right after the Egg Bowl hit. I mean he was still very effective running the ball but he looked like he lost a step for sure.

If you just think back on the games this year there were a couple where if we just complete 1 or 2 more passes to wide open receivers it could have been the difference in the game. I think with another year of development KT will complete those 1 or 2 extra passes. I also think this will be the year we finally see Hill as the feature guy. KT will be used to compliment him in the run game but I don't think he will be the focal point like Fitz was.

I could be completely wrong(as I often am) but for some reason I feel like our O will take a pretty solid step forward next year despite losing some OL and a 5th yr QB.

Honestly, I see us going 7-5 and winning an 8th game in the bowl which I will take transitioning a lot of new starters on the D.

I think we end up with a D that finishes in the top 25-30 and a much improved O setting us up for a solid 2020 campaign. I hope we will all be pleasantly surprised with Key's progress this offseason and his production next fall.

Look at the bright side we have come quite a ways from worrying about if Henig will be upright at the end of the game or not.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 05:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ReNuiYAJgg

You can watch every play from last year's Gator Bowl. KT didnt have great stats but he was also not asked much. He has some touch and he seems to find the open guy. I am ready to see what he can do.

bulldawg28
01-04-2019, 05:05 PM
As mentioned before there is a reason Fitz only had 1 major offer as a Qb. He couldn't pass. KT can do anything can do andddddd actually throw the ball. My only regret is that the coaches didn't give him enough playing time. It was wasted on Fitz.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 05:37 PM
If KT was as good as Fitz, he'd have played. Let's go ahead and call a spade a spade. He couldn't get on the field and Fitz wasn't good. If you aren't concerned about that, then your maroon glasses are bottle thick.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 05:43 PM
If KT was as good as Fitz, he'd have played. Let's go ahead and call a spade a spade. He couldn't get on the field and Fitz wasn't good. If you aren't concerned about that, then your maroon glasses are bottle thick.

I know & I agree with you. This is what is confusing though. Every time KT has played, I've been impressed with him & I'm often not impressed with Fitz. Yet, people say Fitz looked a lot better at practice.

It's just confusing.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2019, 06:13 PM
I know & I agree with you. This is what is confusing though. Every time KT has played, I've been impressed with him & I'm often not impressed with Fitz. Yet, people say Fitz looked a lot better at practice.

It's just confusing.

I agree with you that KT has all the tools to be elite. I personally think his ice in my veins calmness is the "it" factor people talk about and os what gives him such a high ceiling.

However, I disagree that he "looks the part" every time hes on the field. He looks very slow mentally. He seems like he has no idea what the D is telling him pre snap, and he's always late finding the open guy. He's also inaccurate in short passes.

If things "click" with him, hell be elite. If things are as this year hell be worse than Fitzgerald

If things mentally click with him, he can

Dawgfan77
01-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Mayden is much more advanced in the passing game. I think this spring is gonna be an epic battle

yjnkdawg
01-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Just listened to Thunder & Lightening & Hadad was going on & on about how much better the passing game will have to be next year because KT won't be able to run as well as Fitz.

In 2018, Fitz averaged 5.07 yards per rush while KT averaged 9.42 yards per rush.

Now, I completely realize that KT won't tally the same total rushing yards as Fitz due to only starting for 2 years vs 3 & also because he isn't quite built to take the pounding like Fitz on a play to play basis.

Saying all that though, I think that KT is quicker than Fitz & can absolutely run at the same level. Has anything we've seen in games KT insinuated otherwise?

We don't need a quarterback running on as many plays as Fitz did. There needs to be some running by the quarterback , but we need more running by our running backs, and more down the field passing and more accurate passing. If KT runs as much as Fitz did then we have big time problems.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Mayden is much more advanced in the passing game. I think this spring is gonna be an epic battle

If we had good WRs, I would agree. With our current WR situation, I think KT will be hard to beat out because he brings a greater running threat

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Dont really know how this can be stated based on high school tape. KT threw 50 tds and 4k yards in high school. Also ran for another 1000 and was a gatorade player of of the year. It remains to be seen what Mayden is.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2019, 08:55 PM

If Mayden can get the playbook down good and get his reps in this offense, then he may surprise some people, but others won't be surprised. He is a redshirt freshman, and was the 3rd string quarterback , so he got very limited reps in Joe Mo's offensive scheme, and then when he became the scout team quarterback then he got no reps in JoeMo's offensive scheme.

Todd4State
01-04-2019, 09:16 PM
I don't agree that our passing game "can't get worse". Of course it can.

The thing about KT to me is based on what I have seen from him is he is a lot more willing to distribute the ball. I do think that he also throws a much more catchable ball too. But then again so does anyone not named Nolan Ryan.

For example:

First play of the season. KT throws a swing pass to Kylin that goes for a TD. Had that been Nick I could see him keeping the ball and running it.

Arkansas: KT threw a beautiful pass to Austin Williams for a TD which had a lot of air under it and was well thrown where Austin could catch the ball.

He does have the ability to run- not as well as Nick but then again who does? But when he does run he picks his spots and is efficient at it.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2019, 09:17 PM
If we had good WRs, I would agree. With our current WR situation, I think KT will be hard to beat out because he brings a greater running threat

People in the know said several years ago that some quarterbacks had an easy catchable ball, but Fitz was not one of them. It was something about the spin of the ball. or lack of spin. Add to that a 90 mile per hour fastball. We may see a big difference in our receivers catching balls next year or maybe we won't.

Todd4State
01-04-2019, 10:48 PM
People in the know said several years ago that some quarterbacks had an easy catchable ball, but Fitz was not one of them. It was something about the spin of the ball. or lack of spin. Add to that a 90 mile per hour fastball. We may see a big difference in our receivers catching balls next year or maybe we won't.

One thing I think people forget- Fred Ross was a pretty darn good WR for us. When Nick became the QB his numbers went down. 88 receptions and 1007 yards in 2015 to 72 receptions for 917 in 2016. Yes, he did score more TD's in 2016 but a lot of that is because we lost Bear Wilson and he became pretty much our most reliable WR.

I could see our WR's- Guidry, Osirus, Austin Williams, and Deddrick possibly making 5-10% leaps in productivity with KT because of what you are saying. Not to mention KT has to be familiar with Whop and that may lead to Whop emerging as a sophomore.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 11:11 PM

He has shown flashes of it. He did it against Lamar Jackson, against Ole Miss, and against Charleston. No reason as far as I'm concerned why he can't do it. I just want to see a lot more passing from him to see if that part is better than Fitz. I think it is, but he hasn't played enough yet to say for certain. I'm sure he'll make some "new starter" mistakes next year.....I just wish we played Abilene as our first game to let him get it going good. No way we are going to win those first 3 games as bad as we have in the last few years. In fact, I expect one or two of them to be real close if not an upset. I figure it will take 6 games before KT gets really comfortable with the offense in pressure situations.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 11:16 PM
All I know is when he signed 2 years ago I said that is the guy that will exceed Dak. Now that was with Mullen, but I am not giving up on KT yet. I think he has something special. We always said when him and Kylin were the lead dawgs it was going to be special let's find out. Hail State.

He and Mayden both have the skillset to be like Dak. In fact...that is why they both chose MSU. They thought Mullen would develop them into the next Dak. Both, IMO, are far ahead of Fitz in the passing game. Now, it's time for someone else to develop them into the next Dak. Who that is......I really don't know. Mayden didn't turn down UGA, Nebraska, Syracuse, Tennessee, and Ohio State offers to come to MSU for nothing.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 11:20 PM
If they were ahead of Fitz, they would’ve played. They weren’t.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 11:26 PM

KT and Mayden have distinctive different running styles.....KT will try to run around and avoid you, Mayden will not. Mayden was about 6'2"/215 out of high school. I have now heard he is closer to 230. Much more like Dak size wise.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 11:27 PM

They call it "experience".

Todd4State
01-05-2019, 01:23 AM

I think benching Fitz would have caused Joe more problems than playing him did. Especially if we had the exact same season we did with KT starting. Everyone would have been wondering why we were benching the best rushing QB in SEC history. And I honestly would have questioned it too.

Also, Joe had kind of an interesting quote after the LSU game about being "tired of protecting" Fitz and was going to play KT at least one series.

If you are Joe and you bench a healthy Nick Fitzgerald you almost better go 12-0 or it is going to get second guessed. And probably rightfully so.

I just wish that Joe had been a lot more strict with Nick earlier in the season. And yeah, I know he was suspended for game one. I'm talking about opening up the QB competition after the K-State game where Fitz looked bad.

BhamDawg205
01-05-2019, 03:59 AM

It's just confusing.

Some people dislike change. Would rather stick with the safe known versus a possible. I other words they wear blinders or stick to talking points. We saw enough in REAL game proof to come to a conclusion Fitz sucks as passer. But some are projecting KTs present and future playing abilities on limited real game experience, yet successful when starting, and rumors from sources. Eye tests say KT 1. can run as good as Fitz 2. Throw a better ball than Fitz.
And stop with the he wasn't good enough crap. We have a 1st year HC without the balls to seat a 5th year senior after 4 ints in a game or mop up duty when games were over. Sorry no confidence (yet) in JoMo or his QB coach to fix QBs deficiencies. Chalk it up to year 1, Maybe year 2 will prove different.

bulldawg28
01-05-2019, 06:11 AM

As terrible as Fitz played Mayden was as good as him let alone
KT. Moorehead was not going to bench a 5th year senior his 1st year as coach. Cohen wouldn't have allowed it.

Sienfield
01-05-2019, 08:47 AM
If Jo Mo can't make one good QB out of the three we will have available next year then we will have some serious problems. I think we will be pretty good on offense next year, probably better than this year.

maroonmania
01-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Agree, watching KT pass the ball against OM, the Gator Bowl and then again versus SFA, I didn't see him being ahead of Fitz. His production in all 3 of those games was primarily with his legs. There were a lot of off target passes in those games. Don't think his completion percentage in those games combined was anywhere near as high as what NF had over the season this year. Haven't looked up the numbers and compared but that's what I remember.

bluelightstar
01-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Agree with those who say no way could Joe have benched Fitz without a full on revolt from much of the fan base. The players sure didn’t think Fitz was “well ahead” of KT, that’s for sure.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Even if KT is as good of a runner as Fitz he will only have two years to do what Fitzs did in three.