PDA

View Full Version : Fields To Ohio State

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 11:20 AM
At least it's not Auburn or LSU.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1081220505355603970?s=21

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Wow. Kirby was trying hard to get him to stay while also not playing him a single down in the Sugar Bowl. Weird situation there.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Be interesting to see if he can beat out Tate martell.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Damn that immediately puts them in the Driver's seat for next season in the Big 10. Rich get richer they are the Clemson of that league except they managed to fumble a game every season. The talent level they have shows when they wanna play. If Day comes in and is a good coach they may start being a permanent playoff entrant like BAMA and Clemson.

Honestly Michigan and Penn State are just not going to challenge them consistently.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2019, 11:29 AM
It was fun to dream, lol.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Be interesting to see if he can beat out Tate martell.

He will

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Damn that immediately puts them in the Driver's seat for next season in the Big 10. Rich get richer they are the Clemson of that league except they managed to fumble a game every season. The talent level they have shows when they wanna play. If Day comes in and is a good coach they may start being a permanent playoff entrant like BAMA and Clemson.

Honestly Michigan and Penn State are just not going to challenge them consistently.

Just keep Purdue on their schedule.

DogsofAnarchy
01-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Wow. Kirby was trying hard to get him to stay while also not playing him a single down in the Sugar Bowl. Weird situation there.

I just find it unbelievable that some of these players make so many bad decisions for themselves. They’re coddled and spoiled rotten. They think they’re so much better than another 4 or 5 star player, that they will start in front of them. Arrogance prevents lots of them from becoming all they can. A good thread would be all the players that went to BIG TIME schools and never developed or got their chance to play. I can name several off the top of my head.

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Just keep Purdue on their schedule.

Lots of people high on Purdue right now even with the big loss. Fields may not play next year, right?. Be interesting to see what the ncaa does.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2019, 11:33 AM
I just find it unbelievable that some of these players make so many bad decisions for themselves. They?re coddled and spoiled rotten. They think they?re so much better than another 4 or 5 star player, that they will start in front of them. Arrogance prevents lots of them from becoming all they can. A good thread would be all the players that went to BIG TIME schools and never got their chance to play. I can name several off the top of my head.

You can also name several that left & it worked out great. It goes both ways.

ScoobaDawg
01-04-2019, 11:35 AM
It was fun to dream, lol.

Yep...lol.. Everyone get's a tranfer Qb but us...

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 11:35 AM
I just find it unbelievable that some of these players make so many bad decisions for themselves. They?re coddled and spoiled rotten. They think they?re so much better than another 4 or 5 star player, that they will start in front of them. Arrogance prevents lots of them from becoming all they can. A good thread would be all the players that went to BIG TIME schools and never got their chance to play. I can name several off the top of my head.

A few guys that sat and learned... Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Steve Young, Doug Floutie, Big Ben, Mahomes, etc...

msstate7
01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
He will

Wish we could get martell then. I know we won't... just dreaming

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Tate Martell to State.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
A few guys that sat and learned... Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Steve Young, Doug Floutie, Big Ben, Mahomes, etc...

Dak Prescott. It honestly cost us probably a game or two when Russell started over him. I would love to have Russell right now though. He would have thrown for 3500 yards this year.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Wish we could get martell then. I know we won't... just dreaming

It's gonna happen!!! Lets have a 15 page thread discussion, just to ensure it does.**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBRGn1-2l8

msstate7
01-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Tate Martell to State.

You back working behind the scenes? Haha

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
I just find it unbelievable that some of these players make so many bad decisions for themselves. They’re coddled and spoiled rotten. They think they’re so much better than another 4 or 5 star player, that they will start in front of them. Arrogance prevents lots of them from becoming all they can. A good thread would be all the players that went to BIG TIME schools and never developed or got their chance to play. I can name several off the top of my head.

I also find it hard to believe that Ohio State wasn't actively recruiting him while he was on the team at UGA. That's the aspect about the proposed open transfer rule that really bothers me.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
I dont want a Transfer I wanna sink or swim with KT. He was a top flight 4 Star QB no excuse to not have him ready after a year in the system. JoMo needs to prove he can coach up players and help them progress. He did it with McSorley when he was the primary QB coach and OC. Briener is a big worry for me if KT doesn't pan out we need a new QB coach too much talent on KT to waste with bad coaching.

I wanna see our QBs improve in fundamentals and all aspects year to year. We were getting that with Mullen and Johnson. Need to see it with Joe and Briener.

parabrave
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Dak Prescott. It honestly cost us probably a game or two when Russell started over him. I would love to have Russell right now though. He would have thrown for 3500 yards this year.

He would've been murdered back there.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 11:59 AM
I also find it hard to believe that Ohio State wasn't actively recruiting him while he was on the team at UGA. That's the aspect about the proposed open transfer rule that really bothers me.

I think once he hits the transfer portal then he is open to recruiting. He has been on that not long after the SEC Championship game. I am not saying Ohio St wasn't working some back channels but he isn't just now able to be recruited.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2019, 12:01 PM

A few that left & flourished. Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Troy Aikman, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Scott Frost, Ryan Mallett

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:01 PM
He would've been murdered back there.

Maybe but I would like to seen what a QB that could throw to a hot route could do. Instead we had a QB that sometimes didn't even get to his 1st read before running it. Yes, I am still pissed Fitz didn't throw the damn ball on the flea flicker against Bama.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 12:03 PM
KT has never been a top flight passer. Sorry, he hasn't. From reports, he was way behind Fitz in practice and had trouble with the new offense. Give me a top flight transfer any day.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:07 PM
KT has never been a top flight passer. Sorry, he hasn't. From reports, he was way behind Fitz in practice and had trouble with the new offense. Give me a top flight transfer any day.

We dont have a top flight passer on the roster, if Joe is waiting on Trevor Lawrence to come through the door we have a problem. Good QB coaches should be able to improve your passing and accuracy. We are not looking for Drew Brees. KT is talented mold him if we have to start going the AU and Ole Miss route for QBs because we no longer can develop, this is a sinking ship.

Really Clark?
01-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Mahomes was a little different. He was sitting behind Webb who was already the starter and very good until injured. Then beat him out the next year. Webb eventually transferred to Cal and was drafted in the 3rd round.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2019, 12:10 PM
We dont have a top flight passer on the roster, if Joe is waiting on Trevor Lawrence to come through the door we have a problem. Good QB coaches should be able to improve your passing and accuracy. We are not looking for Drew Brees. KT is talented mold him if we have to start going the AU and Ole Miss route for QBs because we no longer can develop, this is a sinking ship.

A QB coach can help a little but accuracy is something you have or you don't. That's a skill like velocity or ball placement. A good QB coach can help you improve 2-3% but if youre a 50-53% passer he's not getting you to 60+%.

Irondawg
01-04-2019, 12:15 PM
i thought he would at least do a visit tour or something and i honestly really thought it would be OK...was hoping we would at least get a sniff but oh well at least it's not the SEC

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:16 PM

We just need a QB that understands where to throw the ball. A lot of our offense was stagnant because Fitz didn't see wide open guys. Whether that is Joe's fault for not properly training a QB or Fitz just didn't have the ability, it doesn't matter.

JoeMo was kind of in a no win situation with Fitz. The guy was very successful in Mullen's offense which honestly seemed like was one read or run. Mullen tried in 2016 to have Fitz to go through the progressions similar to Dak and he just wasn't successful doing that.

It would have been extremely risky for Joe to bench Fitz and go with Key unless he was very sure that Key was going to be GREAT. Fitz not starting would have the fanbase in an uproar. As is, we have fans pissed we didn't win 10 or more games.

Joe got his ass in a crack spouting off about Fitz for Heisman and ring sizes. His team didn't back that up. I am not sure he knew how bad a fit Fitz was. He probably thought he could take a 5th year senior that basically didn't have to go to school and mold him. Dak made a huge jump due to that his senior year but Dak probably spent all the time working on his game and I am not sure Fitz did the same.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:16 PM
A QB coach can help a little but accuracy is something you have or you don't. That's a skill like velocity or ball placement. A good QB coach can help you improve 2-3% but if youre a 50-53% passer he's not getting you to 60+%.

I mean Dak progressed very well under Mullen. Noone is born with accuracy it is reps and practice habits. Alot can be done with scheme as well look at Gardner this season basically 55% at ECU and at 70% with WSU. All of our route concepts are high level throws we never allow our QB to get in rhythm

Really Clark?
01-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Maybe but I think that has to do with where the player is mechanically to start and how much work they are willing to do. I do believe accuracy can be an increased skill set. Velocity does have ceiling because of raw talent for everyone. Some players also just have a better touch for ball placement, although that can improved upon as well. I do think you have seen a lot of QB’s increase accuracy over 4-5 years in college that show a 20% increase.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Noone was as raw as Dak coming into state that we have on the Roster. But his work ethic and dedication to his craft has made him a good NFL QB. We will see if any of these guys can do the same.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Drew lock went from 49.0% as a freshman (263 att) to 62.9% as a senior (437 att)

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Anticipating the throw and making it is tough. My opinion is college QBs getting a better understanding of the offenses they run and the coaches putting them in a better position to be successful increases accuracy numbers. Cleaning up some mechanics can too but it's hard to correct all the issues with mechanics. You can increase accuracy a little, but not a lot. Mullen QBs all had issues with it, even into the NFL.

KOdawg1
01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Tate Martell is a punk. He was already talking crap about Fields coming before he even announced. Plus he was the most annoying QB to watch on QB1 on Netflix.

That being said, I'd take him in a heartbeat lol

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Noone was as raw as Dak coming into state that we have on the Roster. But his work ethic and dedication to his craft has made him a good NFL QB. We will see if any of these guys can do the same.

Dak still has accuracy issues. He still has mechanical flaws. Completion percentage is like batting average. It's not nearly as important as some think and it's not necessarily the best indicator of a good passer.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Drew lock went from 49.0% as a freshman (263 att) to 62.9% as a senior (437 att)

Andrew Luck 55% as a freshman and 72% as a senior. Now these guys are elite level and KT is more of a runner, but he needs to just be 60% with his legs.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Maybe but I think that has to do with where the player is mechanically to start and how much work they are willing to do. I do believe accuracy can be an increased skill set. Velocity does have ceiling because of raw talent for everyone. Some players also just have a better touch for ball placement, although that can improved upon as well. I do think you have seen a lot of QB’s increase accuracy over 4-5 years in college that show a 20% increase.

I think to improve accuracy, it is a lot of reps working on perfecting your mechanics and getting the motion to be the same with every throw. You can pretty much put Drew Brees mechanics in a video and there is very little deviation from his movements.

I honestly think Dak put in the work and I am not sure if Fitz did the same. Too many passes of Fitz's that are just extremely off. It was almost like his passes were half the time on the money and the other half barely in the same zip code. It actually reminded me of Relf. Just look at a lot of the short throws to the RBs. Several behind them causing them to half turn around and about 25% were over their head uncatchable. I understand not every throw would be on the money but a misfire should be the ones behind them not 5 feet over their head at 100 mph. He just doesn't have the consistency that you would think that comes from high number of reps. Of course some people just can't get that consistency. That is what makes pro golfers so good.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Mond jumped 6% from last year. Of course, he had my boy coaching him haha

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Mond jumped 6% from last year. Of course, he had my boy coaching him haha

Mond was raw as hell last season, but he is a hell of an athlete. He is going to be a problem next season. Happy their RB declared.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Yet, the knock on him in the draft is that he's inaccurate and struggles with ball placement. He's got a cannon and that helps.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Mond was raw as hell last season, but he is a hell of an athlete. He is going to be a problem next season. Happy their RB declared.

Corbin is gonna be really good for them next season. He's more explosive than Williams

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Corbin is gonna be really good for them next season. He's more explosive than Williams

I think A&M is finally waking up. If Jimbo can continue to recruit at that top 5 level then they might be battling Bama for #1 in about 2 or 3 years.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 12:39 PM
I think A&M is finally waking up. If Jimbo can continue to recruit at that top 5 level then they might be battling Bama for #1 in about 2 or 3 years.

They have an opportunity to while LSU has Ed O. Who knows when auburn will go off or implode. LSU should be reaching out to urban next offseason after he gets a break

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 12:41 PM
We will see what Jimbo does thing about FSU he was at a constant talent advantage due to his recruiting and he still dropped games yearly. Kinda like Urban at OSU there is no doubt A&M was much improved but he still dropped games that made little sense. MSU and AU come to mind so jury is still out. I think if he lost that LSU game in regulation the opinion on him changes a good bit. Similar to if Joe beat Iowa amazing how one play can change so much for both guys.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:44 PM
We will see what Jimbo does thing about FSU he was at a constant talent advantage due to his recruiting and he still dropped games yearly. Kinda like Urban at OSU there is no doubt A&M was much improved but he still dropped games that made little sense. MSU and AU come to mind so jury is still out. I think if he lost that LSU game in regulation the opinion on him changes a good bit. Similar to if Joe beat Iowa amazing how one play can change so much for both guys.

Probably but he is recruiting at a high level. If keeps that up then he will probably separate A&M from the AU, LSU, MSU group that is kind of in that 2nd tier behind Bama right now.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Fitz has a 185 passer rating vs aTm. aTm completely fell asleep at the end of the auburn game and lost the TO battle -3. Both losses are kinda flukish. Losses nevertheless

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Fitz has a 185 passer rating vs aTm. aTm completely fell asleep at the end of the auburn game and lost the TO battle -3. Both losses are kinda flukish. Losses nevertheless

No more flukish than our Outback loss. Anyone see a TD pass that the WR batted up for a Safety this year when the WR didn't have anyone around him for 5 yards? That game should have a footnote that we shot ourselves in both feet and the D^&k.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Can't believe he didn't want to play for our electric scheme***

Missed out on being a part of the lowest amount of plays per game in the country.

This shouldn't even be a big thread. Anybody thinking we had a shot was Ole Miss delusional

msbulldog
01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
I just find it unbelievable that some of these players make so many bad decisions for themselves. They?re coddled and spoiled rotten. They think they?re so much better than another 4 or 5 star player, that they will start in front of them. Arrogance prevents lots of them from becoming all they can. A good thread would be all the players that went to BIG TIME schools and never developed or got their chance to play. I can name several off the top of my head.

Mitch Mustain Arkansas then USC

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Can't believe he didn't want to play for our electric scheme***

Missed out on being a part of the lowest amount of plays per game in the country.

This shouldn't even be a big thread. Anybody thinking we had a shot was Ole Miss delusional

I think it was more in line with people buying a lotto ticket. It doesn't hurt to dream, just don't go buy a boat with your winnings until the money is in your account.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 01:28 PM
No more flukish than our Outback loss. Anyone see a TD pass that the WR batted up for a Safety this year when the WR didn't have anyone around him for 5 yards? That game should have a footnote that we shot ourselves in both feet and the D^&k.

Definitely a weird loss when you hold a team to negative rushing yards

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Definitely a weird loss when you hold a team to negative rushing yards

We also had Abram make a rookie mistake and bite on the playaction. First long TD of the year to go with Fitz's first fumble in almost 2 years. Fitz also threw a Int on a screen pass. It was just a weird game all around. Fitz throws a TD only for Guidry to shovel pass it to a safety. Fitz also randomly underthrew (which almost never happened) a wide open guy in the enzone by about 15 yards.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Tate Martell to State.

Corral vs Martell in the Egg Bowl.......there would be a fight before either team even made it in the stadium

smootness
01-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Aaron Rodgers didn't sit and learn behind anyone. He was starting by his 5th game out of JUCO at Cal.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 02:58 PM
I mean Dak progressed very well under Mullen. Noone is born with accuracy it is reps and practice habits. Alot can be done with scheme as well look at Gardner this season basically 55% at ECU and at 70% with WSU. All of our route concepts are high level throws we never allow our QB to get in rhythm

It's hand eye coordination & feel.

Coaches can improve it, but yes, people that are accurate were mostly born with it.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Russell was just way to slow. He would have been QB pocket bait. Throws slow, runs slow.....and really not made for this offense at all. Tyler would be better in a straight pro set offense as long as he had great protection to give him time to throw. He was accurate when he had time though. To me he is similar to Eli Manning, but maybe not quite as accurate as Eli.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Russell was a good dawg but his passing ability is overstated. It wasn't bad but he had a windup that would make Warren Spahn blush.

msu15
01-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Russell was a good dawg but his passing ability is overstated. It wasn't bad but he had a windup that would make Warren Spahn blush.

He also stared down receivers all the time.

TUSK
01-04-2019, 05:08 PM
SIAP:

In addition to Fields bailing, a TE is xfering and TE Nauta and both WRs Hardman & Ridley have declared....

Welcome to 1st World Problems, Kirby,,,,,

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Aaron Rodgers didn't sit and learn behind anyone. He was starting by his 5th game out of JUCO at Cal.

I was talking pro. He sat for a while in the NFL. I don't know what most of these guys did in college.