PDA

View Full Version : Interesting topic on SPS that I thought we could discuss....

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 04:57 PM
A few posters are using Mizzou beating Georgia and Florida, and Vandy and Tennessee's wins today, as a way of saying that the "SEC is down" and that "top to bottom, the pac12 is a better conference this year".

I think that if not for injuries at UGA and Florida, things would be different. Plus, the fact that you can lose a few starters and Mizzou, Vandy, and ten can suddenly beat good teams. tells me the SEC is pretty deep.

Plus, I think it's funny to have Utah beat Stanford and that is considered "good depth in the Pac12", but Mizzou beating UGA and UF means "the SEC is down". I just don't think those are fair comparisons. Or am I just being a SEC homer?

Thoughts?

Martianlander
10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I agree. SEC is strong top to bottom. Some upsets may not be likely but on the right day any SEC underdog can win.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree the SEC isn't as strong as fans think...there is Alabama and then a drop off. So top to bottom, no the Sec isn't any stronger than anyone else.

You can see that in the OOC games vs the other big conferences. Clemson, Miami, Louisville, WestKY, Rutgers, Oregon and OkState all have SEC wins.

Quaoarsking
10-19-2013, 05:28 PM
I agree the SEC isn't as strong as fans think...there is Alabama and then a drop off. So top to bottom, no the Sec isn't any stronger than anyone else.

You can see that in the OOC games vs the other big conferences. Clemson, Miami, Louisville, WestKY, Rutgers, Oregon and OkState all have SEC wins.

In every single one of those examples, the OOC team will finish much higher in their conference standings than the SEC team they beat will. Not a very fair comparison.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 05:30 PM
In every single one of those examples, the OOC team will finish much higher in their conference standings than the SEC team they beat will. Not a very fair comparison.

Exactly.

MarketingBully01
10-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I think top to bottom the SEC West is the toughest conference in the nation. With the injuries the SEC East is now shit. Just my opinion though. With that said and after the injuries to the teams, I like our chances of finishing 4-4 in the conference.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2013, 05:37 PM
If you are supposedly the best conference, your middle of the pack will beat the others best. Your lower teams don't lose to the Sunbelt.

Quaoarsking
10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
If you are supposedly the best conference, your middle of the pack will beat the others best. Your lower teams don't lose to the Sunbelt.

Not necessarily. If you're the best conference, you'll beat the similar-tier teams from other conferences.

Of course Oregon beat Tennessee. Of course Clemson beat Georgia. Of course Oklahoma State beat us. No one's arguing the SEC is so good that our mid-level teams can always beat other conferences' top 1 or 2 teams. Just that the SEC is the overall best conference, and for the ... 15th or so? ... straight year, the mathematical formulas are going to show that at the end of the year.

And you're right that Kentucky losing to Western Kentucky is a disgrace. There's no defense of that one.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
If the SEC had won a couple Of those games, I would say we are still the best. I don't expect the SEC to win them all but a few would support the argument. We will see how The SEC fairs in all the ACC matchups at seasons end.

Dawg61
10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
SEC will win its 8th straight NC making it still the best conference.

smootness
10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Not necessarily. If you're the best conference, you'll beat the similar-tier teams from other conferences.

This.

It's the same reason I laugh any time someone tries to use a year in which the SEC goes something like 5-5 in bowl games as evidence that it's overrated. In every single bowl game except the Sugar and Capital One bowls (and recently, even in those, considering the top SEC team always plays for the nat'l title now), the SEC team is playing a team who finished higher in their respective conference. So if the SEC is .500, it actually proves they're better than those other conferences. If they're above .500, it proves it isn't even close.

Quaoarsking
10-19-2013, 06:19 PM
If the SEC had won a couple Of those games, I would say we are still the best. I don't expect the SEC to win them all but a few would support the argument. We will see how The SEC fairs in all the ACC matchups at seasons end.

That is true. There's 4 SEC vs. ACC games on the last weekend, and if the SEC goes 0-4, that would look bad. It's pretty likely that SC and Florida will lose, but I'm sure Vandy will beat Wake, and Georgia should beat GT.

Remember, there are a lot of SEC wins too. Alabama beat Virginia Tech. Auburn beat Washington State. Ole Miss beat Texas. LSU beat TCU. Missouri beat Indiana. South Carolina beat North Carolina. We'll see at the end of the year how impressive those wins are.