PDA

View Full Version : Football national championship ticket sales

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Prices are dramatically cheaper than last year. Some prices down to $142, and there'll still probably be empty seats.

Maybe they should just have the game every year in Tuscaloosa. You have a stadium >100K you could easily fill up, and you're almost certain to have at least one of the teams in the back yard.

This year both teams are 2500 miles from home, it's a brutal trip for the fanbases (and hotels in the Bar Area are expensive), and they're playing in what is essentially a baseball stadium being used for football.

IMissJack
01-03-2019, 07:17 PM
Should rotate, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 07:23 PM

I don't know why they went to Santa Clara. The West Coast doesn't care that much about college football. I guess it was just to prop the new stadium up a little. I can't blame fans of either team for not spending a fortune to travel to the game though.

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Could have it in Orlando so the folks there would get to see an SEC team play.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 07:25 PM

You'd have to deal with weather some, but I'd like to see a championship game in NYC

TUSK
01-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Maybe they should just have the game every year in Tuscaloosa. You have a stadium >100K you could easily fill up, and you're almost certain to have at least one of the teams in the back yard.

I'm gonna bring this up at the next meeting... Just think of the reduction of the carbon footprint!

Santa Clara (or anywhere in Cali) wasn't the best locale for a game between teams from the southeast... You'd think they've enough time between the semis and the finals to have an alternate site depending on the matchup...

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 07:34 PM
I'm gonna bring this up at the next meeting... Just think of the reduction of the carbon footprint!

Santa Clara (or anywhere in Cali) wasn't the best locale for a game between teams from the southeast... You'd think they've enough time between the semis and the finals to have an alternate site depending on the matchup...

Well, you can be pretty sure it's not going to be a Pac 12 team. Bad logistical choice, but maybe some political reasons. It's going to look bad for the place not to be full though. I have no idea how many they seat for football, but some of the seats in a baseball stadium tend to not be great for football.

Goldendawg
01-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Tusk, just shows more MSU fans will take second mortgages on our trailers to attend a World Series in Nebraska than you guys will to watch a FB Championship in the land of Fruits and Nuts.

TUSK
01-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Tusk, just shows more MSU fans will take second mortgages on our trailers to attend a World Series in Nebraska than you guys will to watch a FB Championship in the land of Fruits and Nuts.

LOL... That's nice....

I think even some Bammers (that can afford a trip like that) are getting Bama Fatigue, as well...

Just think... 3 post season games... and the NIO just to get guaranteed tickets is astronomical...

The last of which is at least a $5k trip....

Dawgpile
01-03-2019, 08:18 PM
.... maybe some political reasons.

This was the discussion on Nashville sports radio this morning. "Give each P5 region in the country an opportunity to see a champ game". They were surmising that you'd see a game in Indy's dome if Delaney politics enough.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2019, 08:22 PM
I suspect TV ratings will be down. Who want's to watch a rerun?

Jack Lambert
01-03-2019, 08:24 PM

Bama fans took second mortgage on their tarilers to have a down payment for their Saban Mercedes.

ShotgunDawg
they're playing in what is essentially a baseball stadium being used for football.

Heck of a baseball stadium*

http://www.levisstadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/RTL10004-800x400.jpg

msstate7

I'm excited to see the 2 QBs vs top defenses

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
You'd have to deal with weather some, but I'd like to see a championship game in NYC

I always thought that area made a huge mistake when they chose to not put a retractable roof over MetLife Stadium.

That stadium could've been the greatest sports stadium in the world if it would've had a roof like Jerry World, Glendale, Indy, Detroit, etc. Could've hosted Super Bowls, Final Fours, National Title games, etc.

Just a horrible decision

TUSK
01-03-2019, 08:31 PM

Oh, they're gonna be (down)... The only things that could make this game "special" for non-football junkies are the QBs and the historical implications for "best ever" arguments for armchair types.... and if one isn't a junkie, he likely doesn't care about history...

TUSK
01-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Bama fans took second mortgage on their tarilers to have a down payment for their Saban Mercedes.

Screw that, Jack... I just combined expenses and now I live in this van....

down by the river.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfhMm-MWIAAk3FL.jpg

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 06:31 AM

Yep.....kind of stupid if you ask me. Two east teams playing in the west.....not good for fans. They need to be flexible and find a geographical location in between the two participating teams. Atlanta would have been perfect in this case.

coachnorm
01-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Bad situation on the West Coast for college football in Santa Clara! Just some info for fellow Elite Doggers. Santa Clara is a good hours drive from San Francisco and can get worse if the traffic does not cooperate. This means that the benefits of touring San Francisco have been marginalized due to venue distance. Levi Stadium has a dot com vibe because of the surroundings and is disproportionate luxury box orientated because of big money. Levi Stadium is slanted to accommodate wealth and not numbers. I doubt if parking will be less than $50.00? Public transportation in Santa Clara is not as good as most of the Bay Area also. Accommodation and lodging will be tailored to the wealthy. Air fare has to factored in to the equation also? The Pac12 Championship game has the same issues that cause low interest, it is just to inconvenient to attend on a Friday night. The National Championship game will have the same issues to overcome as Pac12 and 49er fans have to deal with.

BB30
01-04-2019, 03:29 PM
It has to be somewhat political or just to be "fair". No NC game should be held much further than Texas. In the unlikely event a Pac team makes the NC game in the next few years they can sac up and do the traveling.

I also agree that it couldn't have been that hard to have an alternate location picked in case of something like this happening.

It seems like common sense just goes out the window with some of these things. Pac fanbases have a hard enough time filling a stadium for a conference championship game in their backyard much less helping fill out attendance at a NC game that doesn't involve a team from their footprint.

If the game were being held in ATL and all the tickets weren't sold I am sure there would be plenty of non team specific fans that would attend or fill up the rest of the stadium if needed. There just aren't a ton of die hard CFB fans out that way.

TUSK
01-04-2019, 03:34 PM
It has to be somewhat political or just to be "fair". No NC game should be held much further than Texas. In the unlikely event a Pac team makes the NC game in the next few years they can sac up and do the traveling.

I also agree that it couldn't have been that hard to have an alternate location picked in case of something like this happening.

It seems like common sense just goes out the window with some of these things. Pac fanbases have a hard enough time filling a stadium for a conference championship game in their backyard much less helping fill out attendance at a NC game that doesn't involve a team from their footprint.

If the game were being held in ATL and all the tickets weren't sold I am sure there would be plenty of non team specific fans that would attend or fill up the rest of the stadium if needed. There just aren't a ton of die hard CFB fans out that way.

If the game were in the ATL, they'd get whatever they wanted for a ticket...

and yes, in my very limited experience in Cali, football is a "tourist attraction"...

coachnorm
01-04-2019, 04:26 PM

I believe that you are on point for the most part but I would like to add on a little. In the SEC there are somewhat similar types of fans because of the culture there. They are Southerners. Out West, there is an outpost mentality and the diversity is not comprehensible to Southerners in my opinion. Southern Californians do not relate to Northern Californians. Arizona is nothing in common with California. The Northwest is profoundly different to California and Arizona. I live in San Diego and North San Diego County and South San Diego County do not even look at each other as similar. I am stating this to you and fellow Elite Doggers to explain that there is no such thing as a Pac12 fan base because the population has little in common culturally. There is a SEC fan base because the population has things in common. Because of acute distances going to away games is problematic and expensive unlike in the SEC.

TUSK
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Well, here's the good news...especially for "Part V".....

Future sites:

2020 ? Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.
2021 ? Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.
2022 ? Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.
2023 ? Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, California.
2024 ? NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Would be like if Washington played Oregon for the NC at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Prices are dramatically cheaper than last year. Some prices down to $142, and there'll still probably be empty seats.

This year both teams are 2500 miles from home, it's a brutal trip for the fanbases (and hotels in the Bar Area are expensive), and they're playing in what is essentially a baseball stadium being used for football.

Baseball stadium???.looking at the photo, it appears constructed for football only. Now, old Candlestick Park would be what I'd call playing a football game in a baseball park. Sure hope this new stadium was constructed for severe earthquakes cause they are damn near the San Andreas fault line. No way I would want to be in a stadium during one of those famous San Fran area earthquakes.

RocketDawg
01-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Bad situation on the West Coast for college football in Santa Clara! Just some info for fellow Elite Doggers. Santa Clara is a good hours drive from San Francisco and can get worse if the traffic does not cooperate. This means that the benefits of touring San Francisco have been marginalized due to venue distance. Levi Stadium has a dot com vibe because of the surroundings and is disproportionate luxury box orientated because of big money. Levi Stadium is slanted to accommodate wealth and not numbers. I doubt if parking will be less than $50.00? Public transportation in Santa Clara is not as good as most of the Bay Area also. Accommodation and lodging will be tailored to the wealthy. Air fare has to factored in to the equation also? The Pac12 Championship game has the same issues that cause low interest, it is just to inconvenient to attend on a Friday night. The National Championship game will have the same issues to overcome as Pac12 and 49er fans have to deal with.

And the game (or at least the coverage) starts at 7 Central, which is 5 Pacific. They have to have the early in the West to get east coast viewers. There's a bit of traffic that time of the day to say the least, and will certainly negatively impact attendance. It's far better to have the game in the Central time zone.

RocketDawg
01-04-2019, 09:59 PM
I believe that you are on point for the most part but I would like to add on a little. In the SEC there are somewhat similar types of fans because of the culture there. They are Southerners. Out West, there is an outpost mentality and the diversity is not comprehensible to Southerners in my opinion. Southern Californians do not relate to Northern Californians. Arizona is nothing in common with California. The Northwest is profoundly different to California and Arizona. I live in San Diego and North San Diego County and South San Diego County do not even look at each other as similar. I am stating this to you and fellow Elite Doggers to explain that there is no such thing as a Pac12 fan base because the population has little in common culturally. There is a SEC fan base because the population has things in common. Because of acute distances going to away games is problematic and expensive unlike in the SEC.

The ACC has that issue too; going from Syracuse or Boston to Miami is a bit of a jaunt. The SEC got worse in that regard when they added Missouri and Texas A&M, but it's still nothing like the ACC or Pac 12.

RocketDawg
01-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Baseball stadium???.looking at the photo, it appears constructed for football only. Now, old Candlestick Park would be what I'd call playing a football game in a baseball park. Sure hope this new stadium was constructed for severe earthquakes cause they are damn near the San Andreas fault line. No way I would want to be in a stadium during one of those famous San Fran area earthquakes.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of another stadium, probably Candlestick. Oakland has the same issue but that's coming to an end with the move to Las Vegas. The Raiders now play on a dirt infield early in the year. Not sure why they ever had a team anyway ... teams should be limited to once per large metro. Another example is the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium.

I remember seeing a stadium somewhere in the last year or two, for a college game, that played in a stadium that had big cracks in the stadium structure due to earthquakes. Can't remember which one it was though.

RocketDawg
01-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Well, here's the good news...especially for "Part V".....

Future sites:

2020 ? Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.
2021 ? Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.
2022 ? Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.
2023 ? Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, California.
2024 ? NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas.

Both Miami and Inglewood are logistical problems. They might rethink things if the stadium Monday is only about half full. But they have to prop up the new stadiums best they can. Surprised there's not one in Las Vegas since they'll be opening their new dome before long.

TUSK
01-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Both Miami and Inglewood are logistical problems. They might rethink things if the stadium Monday is only about half full. But they have to prop up the new stadiums best they can. Surprised there's not one in Las Vegas since they'll be opening their new dome before long.

I dunno why Mercedes can't spring for a partial "sponsorship" and just put a retractable roof on Bryant-Denny... It's newish and relatively nice...

RocketDawg
01-04-2019, 10:19 PM
I dunno why Mercedes can't spring for a partial "sponsorship" and just put a retractable roof on Bryant-Denny... It's newish and relatively nice...

Sounds reasonable to me. **

OSCAR
01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Heck of a baseball stadium*

http://www.levisstadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/RTL10004-800x400.jpg

It is a fine place to watch a game. It is quite a hike from the Bay Area though. I was there for the super bowl, so a different beast alltogether but it was cool.

coachnorm
01-05-2019, 12:36 AM
And the game (or at least the coverage) starts at 7 Central, which is 5 Pacific. They have to have the early in the West to get east coast viewers. There's a bit of traffic that time of the day to say the least, and will certainly negatively impact attendance. It's far better to have the game in the Central time zone.

If the Pac12 wants to get seats filled for its title game it can not play on Friday night. People have to take additional time off work to get to that game just to deal with the game and flight schedules. If the game is Saturday, fans can get a nights sleep and fly into San Jose Airport and spend Saturday night in the area, then fly home on Sunday. In a SEC title game people drive home for the most part. I was in the Bay Area last month and believe me it is profoundly different on the weekend compared to a work day traffic wise. The Pac12 title game is just not worth it because of the pain to attend just to get price gouged.