PDA

View Full Version : Can Charles Cross Start at LT in 2019?

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Before you laugh, just know that by all indications at the Under Armour practices, Charles is a top 5 OT in the country and on the cusp on being a 5 star OT. In the videos, he has unbelievable athleticism. Additionally, he's an early enrollee and is currently 6'5" 270. Him being an early enrollee gives him real time to get in the strength and nutrition program. Any chance he's 290 or by the Fall?

https://twitter.com/bartonsimmons/status/1080571712310259717?s=21.

Also, look at the other 5 stars tackles that have been signed in MS. Big softy and Little both started at LT for OM in their true FR year and didn't Sad. Charles start for LSU as a FR?

I ask this because, if Cross can play as a FR, could our OL look like this?

RT - Eiland
RG - Reese
C - Williams - Msstate is adamant that he's leaving due mock drafts, but MSU insiders disagree
LG - Champion, Sharp, etc?
LT - Cross
Tyree and Dolla Bill as 2 deep swing men?

Not sure about you guys but this OL seems extremely talented.

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Before you laugh, just know that by all indications at the Under Armour practices, Charles is a top 5 OT in the country and on the cusp on being a 5 star OT. In the videos, he has unbelievable athleticism. Additionally, he's an early enrollee and is currently 6'5" 270. Him being an early enrollee gives him real time to get in the strength and nutrition program. Any chance he's 290 or by the Fall?

https://twitter.com/bartonsimmons/status/1080571712310259717?s=21.

Also, look at the other 5 stars tackles that have been signed in MS. Big softy and Little both started at LT for OM in their true FR year and didn't Sad. Charles start for LSU as a FR?

I ask this because, if Cross can play as a FR, could our OL look like this?

RT - Eiland
RG - Reese
C - Williams - Msstate is adamant that he's leaving due mock drafts, but MSU insiders disagree
LG - Champion, Sharp, etc?
LT - Cross
Tyree and Dolla Bill as 2 deep swing men?

Not sure about you guys but this OL seems extremely talented.

Has he already signed? Thought he was just committed.

I could gain 20 lbs by the end of the month; surely he could gain 20 by the fall. **

msstate7
01-03-2019, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure Williams will go pro. Just seems like all the draftnics are

Pit Bull
01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
If he does, we are in deep shit for sure. Yes, he's talented.....but a true frosh starting?...... That really should never happen on the OL.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Not sure if I would start him at LT unless he is really good but he is extremely athletic for a big guy. I believe Bama had a freshman start at either LT or RT a couple of years ago also. I could definitely see him in the rotation early if he can put on 20 or so pounds. It is huge getting him into the program for the Spring.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:02 PM
It's very possible Charles could start next year if he hits the s and c program hard and puts on a little more good weight. We probably have more ol talent on roster than anytime in awhile and some more good ones coming in

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 06:04 PM
Has he already signed? Thought he was just committed.

I could gain 20 lbs by the end of the month; surely he could gain 20 by the fall. **

He signed early. We still are waiting on Pickering and Moore on the Dline to sign in Feb.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:04 PM
If he does, we are in deep shit for sure. Yes, he's talented.....but a true frosh starting?...... That really should never happen on the OL.

Elite tackles start at ot all the time as freshman. It just depends on how hard Charles works when he gets to campus. He's got a great start coming in early

msstate7
01-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Elite tackles start at ot all the time as freshman. It just depends on how hard Charles works when he gets to campus. He's got a great start coming in early

Tunsil, little, and cam Robinson come to mind. Every one was a 5-star and the #1 OT in their class though

BankerDog
01-03-2019, 06:08 PM
I hope not. Remember we thought Johnson and Suggs would be starters too. It?s time for our fanbase to start lowering the expectations of our freshmen a tad. We have a bad history of over-hyping our guys.

That said, I like Charles? film a lot. I just don?t see how he could beat out Eiland or Phillips or Reese. Granted, Eiland took a step back this year getting handled by Allen and Iowa?s 94.

That?s the negative with Hev leaving because he was such a good coach, just didn?t appeal to the higher ranked recruit. I don?t think we get Cross with Hev here however. Johnson has shown an ability to recruit-I?m a big fan of Pendley and Washington.

RocketDawg
01-03-2019, 06:10 PM
He signed early. We still are waiting on Pickering and Moore on the Dline to sign in Feb.

OK, good and thanks. I googled and both 247 and rivals said he was just committed. They must not have updated since mid-December.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 06:11 PM
I hope not. Remember we thought Johnson and Suggs would be starters too. It?s time for our fanbase to start lowering the expectations of our freshmen a tad. We have a bad history of over-hyping our guys.

That said, I like Charles? film a lot. I just don?t see how he could beat out Eiland or Phillips or Reese. Granted, Eiland took a step back this year getting handled by Allen and Iowa?s 94.

That?s the negative with Hev leaving because he was such a good coach, just didn?t appeal to the higher ranked recruit. I don?t think we get Cross with Hev here however. Johnson has shown an ability to recruit-I?m a big fan of Pendley and Washington.

This is probably the best Oline class in a long time. We get Pickering, Moore, and Russell in and it might be the best Dline class also. If nothing else, Moorhead realizes you have to get the lines in the SEC.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Tunsil, little, and cam Robinson come to mind. Every one was a 5-star and the #1 OT in their class though

He's not far off from those and he has a mean streak that tunsil didn't have. Not saying he will start just saying it's a possibility. Always best if you can bring an ol along slowly though. Him and Dolla Bill gonna be some great bookends real soon!

msstate7
01-03-2019, 06:14 PM
This is probably the best Oline class in a long time. We get Pickering, Moore, and Russell in and it might be the best Dline class also. If nothing else, Moorhead realizes you have to get the lines in the SEC.

One thing I do like about Moorhead is the 88+ avg per recruit. That's really good for us

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 06:15 PM

That's the thing though, Cross appears to be on the cusp on being that type of guy.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 06:15 PM

This was my thinking

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Johnson and Suggs aren't close to Cross. Dolla Bill has a high ceiling but is raw

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 06:22 PM

This is an SEC West contending trenches class. Gotta find some skill guys

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Johnson and Suggs aren't close to Cross. Dolla Bill has a high ceiling but is raw

We haven't had an ol recruit come in with the talent of cross in a long time. Now it's up to him to realize that potential. Charles is a hard worker so I have no doubts about his work ethic. He does what he's supposed to he will dominate and make some serious deneiro in a few years.

BankerDog
01-03-2019, 06:23 PM

My point was everyone was screaming they?d be our starting OTs the first time they step on campus.

Same thing was said for Whop this past year. Also remember the Guidry ?one and done? talk? I?m just saying tamper the expectations. Just a few months ago, people were hyping Eiland up as a future NFL Draft Pick. I don?t see a freshman replacing that although I feel Eiland took a step back this year.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 06:28 PM
This is an SEC West contending trenches class. Gotta find some skill guys

Bama signed 3 olinemen 97 or higher

somebodyshotmypaw
01-03-2019, 06:33 PM
We have Daryl Williams coming back hopefully. Reese can play guard. Parker is developing. Michael Story can start. Eiland needs to move from left tackle. He's tall and long-armed, but just doesn't have the feet for quick edge rushers.

Freshmen offensive tackles can't play in this league unless they are extremely talented. I believe Cross is. Everyone raved about him at the MS/AL practices. And their comments were constantly about his natural flexibility, agility, and feet. Those are the things that you can't teach. We can add strength and weight easily, and we can teach technique. With Cross coming in January, I certainly think he can compete for a starting spot. Doesn't mean he wins it, but I think he can certainly insert himself in the competition.

I think many are saying he can't start because of his ranking, but that ranking has moved up already, and will probably move up some more. He might be a top 5 tackle.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:38 PM
We have Daryl Williams coming back hopefully. Reese can play guard. Parker is developing. Michael Story can start. Eiland needs to move from left tackle. He's tall and long-armed, but just doesn't have the feet for quick edge rushers.

Freshmen offensive tackles can't play in this league unless they are extremely talented. I believe Cross is. Everyone raved about him at the MS/AL practices. And their comments were constantly about his natural flexibility, agility, and feet. Those are the things that you can't teach. We can add strength and weight easily, and we can teach technique. With Cross coming in January, I certainly think he can compete for a starting spot. Doesn't mean he wins it, but I think he can certainly insert himself in the competition.

I think many are saying he can't start because of his ranking, but that ranking has moved up already, and will probably move up some more. He might be a top 5 tackle.

Exactly and I believe Charles gets his 5th star before it's over. Even if he doesn't start he can sure add some quality depth but I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by mid season. Love seeing a home town kid doing well especially at State!

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Bama signed 3 olinemen 97 or higher

That's why I said "contending" and not winning.

Why do you choose to be the "gotcha" guy?

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 06:44 PM
That's why I said "contending" and not winning.

Why do you choose to be the "gotcha" guy?

Yeah our ols have been good enough to beat everyone in the conference but bama the last 10 years and that was with a lot of developmental guys. We have more talent coming in on the ol than ever before so future is bright in the trenches

TUSK
01-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Not sure if I would start him at LT unless he is really good but he is extremely athletic for a big guy. I believe Bama had a freshman start at either LT or RT a couple of years ago also. I could definitely see him in the rotation early if he can put on 20 or so pounds. It is huge getting him into the program for the Spring.

Jonah Williams RT 2016 (RT as FR then replaced Cam at LT in 2017)
Cam Robinson LT 2014
Andre Smith LT 2006

It happens but is atypical....

Todd4State
01-03-2019, 06:57 PM
It's very possible Charles could start next year if he hits the s and c program hard and puts on a little more good weight. We probably have more ol talent on roster than anytime in awhile and some more good ones coming in

This is exactly where I am. I think he has a chance but it all depends on how much work he puts in. And then we have Eiland, Reese, and Phillips who have all played a lot at tackle. It's not like DT or QB where we have an obvious hole. We just need to see where he is in August. But I think he does have a legit chance.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Jonah Williams RT 2016 (RT as FR then replaced Cam at LT in 2017)
Cam Robinson LT 2014
Andre Smith LT 2006

It happens but is atypical....

I will say that Bama gets those guys on the regular so it is harder to win the job as a freshman.

TUSK
01-03-2019, 07:00 PM
I will say that Bama gets those guys on the regular so it is harder to win the job as a freshman.

That's prolly accurate... Leatherwood (SO - RT) would have been a day one starter at LT at most places... he's legit...

Goldendawg
01-03-2019, 07:01 PM
My point was everyone was screaming they?d be our starting OTs the first time they step on campus.

Same thing was said for Whop this past year. Also remember the Guidry ?one and done? talk? I?m just saying tamper the expectations. Just a few months ago, people were hyping Eiland up as a future NFL Draft Pick. I don?t see a freshman replacing that although I feel Eiland took a step back this year.

Most everyone has maroon colored glasses about incoming players before we start the real games, every year.

Goldendawg
01-03-2019, 07:09 PM
This is exactly where I am. I think he has a chance but it all depends on how much work he puts in. And then we have Eiland, Reese, and Phillips who have all played a lot at tackle. It's not like DT or QB where we have an obvious hole. We just need to see where he is in August. But I think he does have a legit chance.

But, but, just because they will be more experienced doesn't mean they will get better or make the NFL.****

Goldendawg
01-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Or a Soph or Jr, Lashley says hello.

Todd4State
01-03-2019, 07:14 PM
But, but, just because they will be more experienced doesn't mean they will get better or make the NFL.****

I know you are joking but it really doesn't. I think we are going to have a lot of competition at a lot of different positions. Much moreso than last year when it seemed like we were returning our entire team. I think we will see some of our freshmen rotated in pretty regularly. Who is going to be determined later.

Goldendawg
01-03-2019, 07:17 PM
I know you are joking but it really doesn't. I think we are going to have a lot of competition at a lot of different positions. Much moreso than last year when it seemed like we were returning our entire team. I think we will see some of our freshmen rotated in pretty regularly. Who is going to be determined later.

Seriously, good point.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2019, 07:18 PM

It happens at every position on the field. Im not a fan of this argument. Its from the old days. If you can play you can play idc how old you are

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 07:26 PM
It happens at every position on the field. Im not a fan of this argument. Its from the old days. If you can play you can play idc how old you are

Yep play the best dang players regardless of class.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 07:42 PM

How so?

Worst case scenario was start the same two guys at tackle as we did this year.

The only way Cross starts is if he beats out guys that have already started. He may be that good &, if he is, it allows us to move guys around to their best positions. It could cause a seismic shift in our offense next year

Cooterpoot
01-03-2019, 07:43 PM
I doubt he starts day one but by mid-season he will. He?ll be in the rotation regardless.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 07:44 PM
I doubt he starts day one but by mid-season he will. He?ll be in the rotation regardless.

Yep I said same thing. That's what I see happening

RougeDawg
01-04-2019, 01:03 AM

If we can land all of those and a few of the other top targets, we may just have a class that finishes ahead of a former coach, while actually addressing some of our major needs.

NCDawg
01-04-2019, 01:45 AM

Dolla Bill shouldn't be raw now, since he redshirted. Re' Cross, if he's as good as reported, he will be starting at LT. Our QB gets killed with DL running around our LT knocking the hell out of our QB. Happened too many times this year.

Jarius
01-04-2019, 02:33 AM
It would be impossible for cross to be any worse than 55 was against any decent edge rusher this year.

TUSK
01-04-2019, 05:38 AM
It would be impossible for cross to be any worse than 55 was against any decent edge rusher this year.

...and it only took 42 posts...

Bass Chaser
01-04-2019, 08:36 AM
What if Mayden wins the QB job? Does that change who you would put at LT?

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 09:31 AM
What if Mayden wins the QB job? Does that change who you would put at LT?

That is mental gymnastics that I can't wrap my mind around.

Does the defense change what they are doing depending on a left handed or right handed QB?

Cooterpoot
01-04-2019, 09:35 AM
We've got Johnson on one end and Cross on the other. Doesn't matter.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Eiland is still going to start at one of the tackle spots regardless of Cross and Dolla Bill. He had a rough season for sure, but I think they trust him and he will be an upperclassmen.

Reese on the other hand is built more like a guard and I think he will kick inside with all the losses we are suffering at those positions. But wouldn't shock me if Cross pushes for playing time he just needs weight and strength.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Eiland is still going to start at one of the tackle spots regardless of Cross and Dolla Bill. He had a rough season for sure, but I think they trust him and he will be an upperclassmen.

Reese on the other hand is built more like a guard and I think he will kick inside with all the losses we are suffering at those positions. But wouldn't shock me if Cross pushes for playing time he just needs weight and strength.

Agree

We should all be cheering for Cross to start at LT because:

1. It means he's really really good since we actually return our 2 tackles & Cross starting would mean that he has beaten out experienced, solid players

2. Because, if Cross can start at LT, it puts the rest of OL in their best/highest ceiling positions. Eiland to RT, Reese to RG, & Williams to C

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 10:44 AM

I felt that way too about Eiland, but I do think Cross will play next year and have a chance to start by the end of the season. He's a different level talent. You don't see a lot of guys with that frame be that athletic. Spring ball, weight room, and summer workouts will ultimately determine it but I think with the new RS rules we'll get to see what he can do and go from there. Outside of QB, OL is probably the hardest spot to come in an start at right away in the SEC. the DEs are NFL ready across the board. That's a lot to ask of an 18 year old.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:02 AM
I felt that way too about Eiland, but I do think Cross will play next year and have a chance to start by the end of the season. He's a different level talent. You don't see a lot of guys with that frame be that athletic. Spring ball, weight room, and summer workouts will ultimately determine it but I think with the new RS rules we'll get to see what he can do and go from there. Outside of QB, OL is probably the hardest spot to come in an start at right away in the SEC. the DEs are NFL ready across the board. That's a lot to ask of an 18 year old.

Agreed watch his tape and 1v1 drills at the All American games, he is a different beast. He has alot of bend and quick feet. Also has long arms if he gets right in the weight room which I think he will. Big Anthony Piroli fan our team for all the issues were in shape and had some solid body transformations this season. Hell getting in front of the DE would have won us possibly two games this season.

msu15
01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
I just don't think Eiland is athletic enough to be a premier left tackle in this league. He's a huge man obviously, but he just could not handle the speed rush.

BankerDog
01-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Seems as thought it will be a situation as we saw with Mike Brown/Sherrod, Sherrod?s first year. I am fine with that as well. I would like to see us be able to move Reese down, but I love the nastiness that Parker/Story play with. It will be interesting to see what happens. I like our depth on the OL, I am interested to see how well Johnson can develop.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:21 AM
I think O-Line ends up being a strength next season. I do think Cross is a starter or at minimum swing tackle by year end. Him and Dolla Bill are going to be strong anchors on this line.

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 11:38 AM
I think O-Line ends up being a strength next season. I do think Cross is a starter or at minimum swing tackle by year end. Him and Dolla Bill are going to be strong anchors on this line.

He's likely a 3 year guy. May as well play him while you got him! I agree on OL. I think it'll be better talent wise. May take longer to gel but talent wise we're better imo.

Percho
01-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Most everyone has maroon colored glasses about incoming players before we start the real games, every year.

I sleep with mine, ON!

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:49 AM
He's likely a 3 year guy. May as well play him while you got him! I agree on OL. I think it'll be better talent wise. May take longer to gel but talent wise we're better imo.

I actually agree people are underestimating how good he can be. He is going to be a Five Star when all is said and done. Even at Ole Miss they started back to back true freshman LT in Tunsil and Little. Both of those guys were pretty good.

msstate7
01-04-2019, 11:52 AM
I actually agree people are underestimating how good he can be. He is going to be a Five Star when all is said and done. Even at Ole Miss they started back to back true freshman LT in Tunsil and Little. Both of those guys were pretty good.

I'm not saying he won't be good... I think he's gonna be great. With that said, tunsil and little were the #1 OTs in the country when they came out. Om cheated their butts off for those 2 haha

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Agreed watch his tape and 1v1 drills at the All American games, he is a different beast. He has alot of bend and quick feet. Also has long arms if he gets right in the weight room which I think he will. Big Anthony Piroli fan our team for all the issues were in shape and had some solid body transformations this season. Hell getting in front of the DE would have won us possibly two games this season.

He has that speed and quickness that high level players like Jeffrey Simmons has. They way people are talking about his All American practices sounds like his a top 5 overall Olineman this year. Those guys play right away at some point almost no matter where they go. That type of player gets in the rotation at Bama so I don't doubt he is in the rotation game 1 especially with the spring under Piroli.

Piroli has taken our S&C to a different level. His experience at the Arizona Cardinals has him on the cutting edge of everything. Our players just looked more athletic this year.

Scared_Hitless
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm not saying he won't be good... I think he's gonna be great. With that said, tunsil and little were the #1 OTs in the country when they came out. Om cheated their butts off for those 2 haha

Right and I just think he is undervalued because he played in Laurel. Multiple scouts have been quoted at both all-star games he may be the best OT in the country. We will see where he winds up, but if he was committed to Bama we already know.

Really Clark?
01-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Little showed potential as a freshman but he wasn’t good. Heck he was very up and down as a Sophomore and scouts thought he took a step back. Even this year his biggest issue is not playing to his potential consistently. Got pushed around by guys not going pro. The ability is there and will go higher than he should, 1st round, because the OT class is weak. But if he takes his same play to the NFL he will be a big bust.

codeDawg
01-04-2019, 12:33 PM

Eiland is a fine OL player, but he’s not a LT. He’s just not quick enough and that’s hard to develop.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Eiland is a fine OL player, but he’s not a LT. He’s just not quick enough and that’s hard to develop.

Eiland doesn't have that elite quickness you need when you go against 1st round NFL DE/OLB every other week. Allen made him look like a chump but he is also predicted as a top 5 pick. He is probably a RT in the NFL if he continues to develop and improve.