PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we going to win 8 games again next year?

MetEdDawg
01-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Just went through the schedule. Louisiana Lafayette and Abilene Christian are wins.

Southern Miss and Kansas State are both at home.

OM and Kentucky both at home.

Tennessee and Arkansas on the road. Arkansas worse than us for sure no matter who is at QB and Tennessee might be the toughest game out of all of those and they missed a bowl game this year.

At no point ever should we go less than 7-5. Even if we mess up, Auburn at home is going to give us a fairly decent chance to win because they don't have a QB.

Next years schedule all things considered is extremely favorable for an odd year. Plus the Tennessee game is after a bye week for us. They play Georgia the week before.

If we go 6-6 bye bye Joe. But I don't see why 8-4 isn't even a possibility being mentioned by some. Offense can't get worse so it has to get better. Defense will still be Top 30. Still very solid.

confucius say
01-02-2019, 06:57 PM
We will

BeardoMSU
01-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Haven't you heard?

God hates us....

https://media.giphy.com/media/J4JN1fW9HsOHu/giphy.gif
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5C7dMtXUAEr3IQ.jpg

bluelightstar
01-02-2019, 07:02 PM
The offense absolutely *can* get worse. And we lost 3 games by double digits with the #1 defense. What happens if we are still scoring single digits against top defenses?

Kentucky loses a lot but they stoned our offense this year. We were horrible on the road in conference play this year, and likely would be an underdog at UT. I think a bowl game is probably in the cards but 8-4 next year means KT is better than we expected.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 07:05 PM
We very likely could lose the entire interior of our oline.

BeardoMSU
01-02-2019, 07:07 PM
We very likely could lose the entire interior of our oline.

You seem to be the only person that continually worries about this. Both Ari and IYOK have both said he'll be back.

confucius say
01-02-2019, 07:09 PM
I'll bet any one person on here $100 that we have at least 8 wins by January 2, 2020, barring a starting qb injury.

Homedawg
Look at the schedule. Auburn and Texas a&m on road. That's tougher. Bama and LSU home brutal. Our defense is going to take a big drop. Anyone who thinks otherwise is well, an eternal optimist. If we win 6 and go to a bowl I'd take it today.

Commercecomet24
You seem to be the only person that continually worries about this. Both Ari and IYOK have both said he'll be back.

This.

Homedawg
I'll bet any one person on here $100 that we have at least 8 wins by January 2, 2020, barring a starting qb injury.

So 7 plus a bowl win? Is that right?? Just making sure.

confucius say
01-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Look at the schedule. Auburn and Texas a&m on road. That's tougher. Bama and LSU home brutal. Our defense is going to take a big drop. Anyone who thinks otherwise is well, an eternal optimist. If we win 6 and go to a bowl I'd take it today.

So you think we lose to either Ky, Om, or ark?

Homedawg
01-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Just went through the schedule. Louisiana Lafayette and Abilene Christian are wins.

Tennessee and Arkansas on the road. Arkansas worse than us for sure no matter who is at QB and Tennessee might be the toughest game out of all of those and they missed a bowl game this year.

At no point ever should we go less than 7-5. Even if we mess up, Auburn at home is going to give us a fairly decent chance to win because they don't have a QB.

Next years schedule all things considered is extremely favorable for an odd year. Plus the Tennessee game is after a bye week for us. They play Georgia the week before.

If we go 6-6 bye bye Joe. But I don't see why 8-4 isn't even a possibility being mentioned by some. Offense can't get worse so it has to get better. Defense will still be Top 30. Still very solid.
He won't get fired at 6-6. No chance. Zero. None. Well minus being Bobby petrino.

confucius say
01-02-2019, 07:12 PM
So 7 plus a bowl win? Is that right?? Just making sure.

Depends on when the bowl is. By the close of day Jan 2, 2020.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 07:13 PM
He won't get fired at 6-6. No chance. Zero. None. Well minus being Bobby petrino.

Man that would have to be one big motorcycle!

msstate7
01-02-2019, 07:20 PM

http://www.drafttek.com/m/positionals/Top-SEC-Players-2019-NFL-Draft.asp

https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/pauls21/nfl/mock-draft/2019/

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/12/18/18129865/2019-nfl-draft-5-guard-prospects-detroit-lions

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OG.php

I just see his name everywhere. Remember this kid had a very scary injury that could give him second thought on passing up shot at nfl this year. Hopefully me and all the draft sites are wrong

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Because the crutch that held up the offense just graduated or declared for the NFL draft. We lose our best interior offensive linemen and our tackles are still going to be a liability. So we’ve got that going for us.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2019, 07:24 PM

I saw oue second team defense stop Iowa Sunday in person. They could not run on them either. There is a reason why the starters are the starters but the second team will be better next season they will be bigger, stronger and more experience. We will win 8 ball games.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Our offense absolutely could be worse next year if Key is bad, Shrader isn't ready, and/or we don't get a grad transfer that works out. At this point those three things are distinctly possible. QB is going to determine a lot about how we do next year. Which is why I am holding off on any predictions. And with our typical luck usually the worst case scenario plays out for us it seems like. I do like the schedule overall though.

Haven't you heard?

God hates us....

https://media.giphy.com/media/J4JN1fW9HsOHu/giphy.gif
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5C7dMtXUAEr3IQ.jpg

Morgan Freeman looks really comfortable there.**

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/12/18/18129865/2019-nfl-draft-5-guard-prospects-detroit-lions

I just see his name everywhere. Remember this kid had a very scary injury that could give him second thought on passing up shot at nfl this year. Hopefully me and all the draft sites are wrong

And he also looked pretty bad in the Outback Bowl yesterday. I'll trust Ari and IYOK over those people when it comes to MSU's program specifically. Not to mention it seems like the coaches are expecting him to play center next year- which they wouldn't do if they expected him to leave.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Because the crutch that held up the offense just graduated or declared for the NFL draft. We lose our best interior offensive linemen and our tackles are still going to be a liability. So we’ve got that going for us.

Who? Nick? I'd argue that he was more of a liability than a crutch. Or at least as much of a liability as he was a crutch. I think our o-line will be re-worked where Reese moves inside to guard and Williams to center with Eiland at LT. Then we start Champion or Phillips at the other two spots with Phillips at RT. Both played a good bit and will be seniors and IMO Phillips was better at RT than Reese was. Eiland should be better as he will be a junior and the entire starting unit will be juniors or seniors with a lot of experience.

And we'll see what Dolla Bill and maybe even Cross if he is ready and can add some muscle can do when they get here.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
I swear we have the most schizophrenic fan base on the planet.

3 years bitching about how horrible Fitz is, then spending all this season calling for his replacement and playing KT, but now our offense will be worse with a QB many claim is better, throws a better ball and is faster.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 08:19 PM

3 years bitching about how horrible Fitz is, then spending all this season calling for his replacement and playing KT, but now our offense will be worse with a QB many claim is better, throws a better ball and is faster.

Isn't that kinda what you've done? You spent the last 2 years telling us how good fitz is and now he isn't

Homedawg
01-02-2019, 08:25 PM
I saw oue second team defense stop Iowa Sunday in person. They could not run on them either. There is a reason why the starters are the starters but the second team will be better next season they will be bigger, stronger and more experience. We will win 8 ball games.

You saw one defensive tackle play that will play next year. Autry. He will go from 12-15 snaps to being either a starter or the third tackle. The other two tackles that we know we will play have never taken a snap. After that we have NO tackles. We had unreal depth at every spot on the line. We lose a ton in the dl. I'll let you bet whatever you want we don't win 8 reg season games. And I'd love to be wrong. Love to. But I watched that's shit show offense all year. Just ain't happening not w what we lose on defense. And oh. Abram is a stud. He butchered a play the other day but that didn't happen often.

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 08:34 PM
You saw one defensive tackle play that will play next year. Autry. He will go from 12-15 snaps to being either a starter or the third tackle. The other two tackles that we know we will play have never taken a snap. After that we have NO tackles. We had unreal depth at every spot on the line. We lose a ton in the dl. I'll let you bet whatever you want we don't win 8 reg season games. And I'd love to be wrong. Love to. But I watched that's shit show offense all year. Just ain't happening not w what we lose on defense. And oh. Abram is a stud. He butchered a play the other day but that didn't happen often.

This dead on right.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Isn't that kinda what you've done? You spent the last 2 years telling us how good fitz is and now he isn't

Touche. I've recognized that he is a player with a limited skill set - because he has proven it, but I haven't stoped defending him when people just bash for the sake of bashing him. Recognizing limits is different then bashing someone repeatedly for baseless opinions and rumors like a lot were. Everything from him being gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) to a coke head to the team hating him. It's also different from calling out every single in game mistake as his fault. There is even a thread on here right now claiming (based on Hadads opinion) that Fitz wasn't throwing to Guidry in the end zone so the drop wasnt his fault. There has been a ton of that BS over the past 3 years. Way more than any single player I can remember - a least in the history of this board. They even showed a quote from Andrew Briener during the game yesterday talking about how Fitz was the most criticized player he'd ever seen.
It's so bad sometimes, you would never know he's won more starts than all but 3 MSU QBs.

Hell, you would think he had committed some unforgivable sin - like bunting.***

DownwardDawg
01-02-2019, 09:00 PM
We will win 8.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Touche. I've recognized that he is a player with a limited skill set - because he has proven it, but I haven't stoped defending him when people just bash for the sake of bashing him. Recognizing limits is different then bashing someone repeatedly for baseless opinions and rumors like a lot were. Everything from him being gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) to a coke head to the team hating him. It's also different from calling out every single in game mistake as his fault. There is even a thread on here right now claiming (based on Hadads opinion) that Fitz wasn't throwing to Guidry in the end zone so the drop wasnt his fault. There has been a ton of that BS over the past 3 years. Way more than any single player I can remember - a least in the history of this board. They even showed a quote from Andrew Briener during the game yesterday talking about how Fitz was the most criticized player he'd ever seen.
It's so bad sometimes, you would never know he's won more starts than all but 3 MSU QBs.

Hell, you would think he had committed some unforgivable sin - like bunting.***

Fitz certainly gets more criticism than he deserves. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him the last 3 years, and I'll miss him even if he wasn't a good fit in this offense. It isn't fitz's fault he followed dak or that dan left him... those 2 things have tainted fitz's legacy, and it's sad imo

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Fitz certainly gets more criticism than he deserves. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him the last 3 years, and I'll miss him even if he wasn't a good fit in this offense. It isn't fitz's fault he followed dak or that dan left him... those 2 things have tainted fitz's legacy, and it's sad imo

I agree completely.

Homedawg
01-02-2019, 10:59 PM
We will win 8.

How much are we betting. I love a good bet ....

mparkerfd20
01-03-2019, 01:06 AM
Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and TN/KY that's why. We will lose to the first 4 for sure and 1 of TN or KY.

Hambone
01-03-2019, 08:11 AM
How comical will it be IF we have a better overall record next year because, oh, I don’t know, Moorhead figures more things out? His recruiting class has the chance to be one of the more higher rated classes we’ve had. 2020 will probably be a better indicator of that, however.

confucius say
01-03-2019, 08:14 AM
How much are we betting. I love a good bet ....

Ive already offered you (or whomever accepts first) a $100 bet with terms of us winning 8 by end of day 1-2-20 absent starting qb injury. You must want 8 regular season only?

msstate7
01-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Ive already offered you (or whomever accepts first) a $100 bet with terms of us winning 8 by end of day 1-2-20 absent starting qb injury. You must want 8 regular season only?

You offering the same safety net of QB injury in the bet? Do we have to face and beat 8 teams with a healthy starting QB?

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 09:18 AM

I'd be shocked if the QB next year is worse than what Fitz gave us this year. The biggest thing is if the next QB will be as tough & durable as Nick. My feeling is if that guy starts every game & avoids injury, he won't be any worse.

I mean, what skill did Fitz show this year that is tough to replace?

confucius say
01-03-2019, 09:44 AM
You offering the same safety net of QB injury in the bet? Do we have to face and beat 8 teams with a healthy starting QB?

Yes.
No.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 09:45 AM
I'd be shocked if the QB next year is worse than what Fitz gave us this year. The biggest thing is if the next QB will be as tough & durable as Nick. My feeling is if that guy starts every game & avoids injury, he won't be any worse.

I mean, what skill did Fitz show this year that is tough to replace?

Why wasn't he replaced this year then?

dawgman15
01-03-2019, 10:16 AM

That is a great question, outside of Stephen F. Austin, Keayton was never really given a fair chance to showcase his abilities. IMO he should have redshirted this year with the very limited reps he was given and the short amount of passing plays.

Quaoarsking
01-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and TN/KY that's why. We will lose to the first 4 for sure and 1 of TN or KY.

That's just a baseless assertion that you didn't even try to back up.

fader2103
01-03-2019, 10:24 AM
I bet we win every game next year, barring any thing that doesn't give us an advantage*

Scared_Hitless
01-03-2019, 10:27 AM
So DT wise is it going to be up to Fabian and Autry? I assumed Kobe was running at DT but appears he is listed at DE. Little more concerned, but they have to have a plan since they havent offered any Juco stopgap players.

dawgday166
01-03-2019, 10:52 AM

That's just a baseless assertion that you didn't even try to back up.

So the guy has an opinion about next year, which every single one of these posts are, and he has to back it up with facts? What facts are you or anyone else gonna provide to show we'll win 8? I kinda think he's probably right unless our QB situation turns out better than expected. I kinda think TN at TN will be tougher than everyone here thinks. And we play AU & TAM at their place.

IF our QB situation turns out pretty good AND we get tougher on offense (cause we ain't consistently tough on O), I could see us maybe beating LSU at home. Gus is always good when no one expects him to be, so I think AU will be pretty decent next year. Mond is coming back and I think beating Jimbo at TAM will be tough order. I think the Pruitt is gonna do better than most on here think, maybe not like Kirby but everyone on here thinks Pruitt's a dummy.

Most posters on here had KY, FL, & LSU (all of them) as sure wins in preseason last year.

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2019, 11:04 AM

I think it was because he was the best RB we had - which is born out by the fact that he is #2 in our all-time career rushing yards. It's where I disagree with a lot of people who say "Joe should have changed his offense to take advantage of our strength in the running game." He did change his offense. Drastically. We looked nothing like PSU the past 2 years. It was a bastardized hybrid of his offense to focus getting the ball in the hands of his best runner - Fitz. Why? Joe told us from the beginning - he wants the ball in the hands of his best playmaker as much as possible. Fitz had proven over the past 2 years to be the best chance at winning with the personnel we had on offense. We were 17-4 when Fitz broke 100 yards. So Joe had a choice - ditch his best RB for more production in the passing game (with no guarantee that he could replace the overall production) or basically do what we had done the past 2 years - focus on Fitz running the ball.

I'm sure people will argue against my opinion on all of this. But, a tweet from Kylin I saw yesterday made me think. Kylin said "It's my time now. No more role playing." What roll was he playing? He was the starter all year - but he wasn't the focus of the running game. Fitz was. His roll was to compliment that. I think we see a big change in that next year. Key (or Mayden/Fields/whoever) will be a QB first and a compliment to Kylin and Nick Gibson instead of the focus of the running offense, and we see more of what made Joe so smart at Penn State.

Homedawg
01-03-2019, 11:06 AM

He said 8 as in regular season. You have the bowl added with an out. I don't think we win 8 either way but i'll take his before i take yours.

confucius say
01-03-2019, 11:27 AM
He said 8 as in regular season. You have the bowl added with an out. I don't think we win 8 either way but i'll take his before i take yours.

Got ya. Just let me know if you want mine.

I'm confident enough to make the bet that we win our 4 out of conference, om and Ky at home, ark on the road, and 1 out of @TN, LSU at home, or bowl game.

confucius say
01-03-2019, 11:30 AM
So DT wise is it going to be up to Fabian and Autry? I assumed Kobe was running at DT but appears he is listed at DE. Little more concerned, but they have to have a plan since they havent offered any Juco stopgap players.

A lot expect Spencer to slide down to DT. He was already over 280 pounds in August. Would also expect to see Rivers play DT some.

MarketingBully
01-03-2019, 11:31 AM
I think it was because he was the best RB we had - which is born out by the fact that he is #2 in our all-time career rushing yards. It's where I disagree with a lot of people who say "Joe should have changed his offense to take advantage of our strength in the running game." He did change his offense. Drastically. We looked nothing like PSU the past 2 years. It was a bastardized hybrid of his offense to focus getting the ball in the hands of his best runner - Fitz. Why? Joe told us from the beginning - he wants the ball in the hands of his best playmaker as much as possible. Fitz had proven over the past 2 years to be the best chance at winning with the personnel we had on offense. We were 17-4 when Fitz broke 100 yards. So Joe had a choice - ditch his best RB for more production in the passing game (with no guarantee that he could replace the overall production) or basically do what we had done the past 2 years - focus on Fitz running the ball.

I'm sure people will argue against my opinion on all of this. But, a tweet from Kylin I saw yesterday made me think. Kylin said "It's my time now. No more role playing." What roll was he playing? He was the starter all year - but he wasn't the focus of the running game. Fitz was. His roll was to compliment that. I think we see a big change in that next year. Key (or Mayden/Fields/whoever) will be a QB first and a compliment to Kylin and Nick Gibson instead of the focus of the running offense, and we see more of what made Joe so smart at Penn State.

Agreed. I think Moorhead’s offense next year will be very good. I’d have a true QB battle this spring and open it up to the best man winning. This will give us true competition and might be what would be best for everyone. KT never had a shot. It was always Fitz job. The one positive though with all these low predictions is when Moorhead wins 8 games next year not a single one of you should bitch.

MetEdDawg
01-03-2019, 11:34 AM

The tweet by Kylin should open a lot of eyes on here. And your comment about the Moorhead offense is 100% spot on. Our offense looked nothing like Penn State's offense. Welcome to why it didn't work people. Joe had to change it so much that it became entirely ineffective.

So for those saying just call a damn RB run ok fine. But what about the other 50 plays where we actually have to go with the style of offense Moorhead brought that he had to change completely because of our QB?

bluelightstar
01-03-2019, 11:36 AM

I am hopeful that Moorhead just felt like he couldn't bench Fitz. Let's be honest, Moorhead would have had to win 10+ games if he benched Fitz because so many people like him. Even after the LSU debacle, there were plenty who still didn't want to bench Fitz.

And to be fair to Fitz, every now and then you could see flashes of what Joe was looking for. A lot of people have married potential.

MarketingBully
01-03-2019, 11:41 AM
The tweet by Kylin should open a lot of eyes on here. And your comment about the Moorhead offense is 100% spot on. Our offense looked nothing like Penn State's offense. Welcome to why it didn't work people. Joe had to change it so much that it became entirely ineffective.

So for those saying just call a damn RB run ok fine. But what about the other 50 plays where we actually have to go with the style of offense Moorhead brought that he had to change completely because of our QB?

Fitz was the worst type of QB to run that system. Run first, inaccurate, and can’t throw the long ball consistently.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Because he was a 3 year starter & the best QB for this team. That doesn't mean that a QB in the 2nd year of this scheme, better WR play, & similar running ability can't be better

dawgday166
01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Something isn't quite right on O side of ball. It's a combination of things. The D was a pretty selfless bunch IMO, which is what made them so good. On the O side, something just isn't quite right and I'm not sure it's entirely X's & O's.

While I believe Fitz was selfish or misreading or whatever at times, Kylin needs to STFU and learn to keep a LB off the QB. RB isn't all about running for 200 yds against KSU. It's also about keeping a Bama or LSU backer off your QB. If you're gonna let the LB kill your QB then the QB may be reluctant to give you the ball as much as you want him to, especially if the only times you're gonna put out maximum effort is when the ball is coming your way.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Along with a better passer, I also think the offense could be better with a little less accomplished runner at QB, if that meant the QB was going to hand it to the RBs more.

Scared_Hitless
01-03-2019, 12:13 PM
I am pretty confident in 7-5 just because I dont think whoever wins the job is worse than Fitz was at times. Win the 4 OOC and ARK and OM feel like wins. Then gotta hit on 1 toss up of KY and TN. Very possible.

Quaoarsking
01-03-2019, 01:24 PM
So the guy has an opinion about next year, which every single one of these posts are, and he has to back it up with facts?
I mean, it would be preferable, yes. He did state it pretty definitively and then didn't back it up.

What facts are you or anyone else gonna provide to show we'll win 8?
This doesn't prove we'll win 8, but we get to play the 3 clear worst teams from 2018 (Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee) next year, and none appears likely to improve much if at all.

Kentucky is likely to take a big step back after losing Snell, Allen, and their QB, and they were likely overachieving (unlike us) this season anyway.

Auburn and Texas A&M will be tough on the road, but we did beat them this year deservedly and non-flukily, so I'm not counting us out.

Like I said, we may or may not win 8, but the above facts suggest that the naysayers are probably underrating our chances.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Yep. And folks are forgetting this offense didn't just work at psu. Joe was successful running this at Georgetown, Fordham, Akron, UConn everywhere he's been. And the offense we ran this year didn't look much at all like the offense he ran at all those places. Joe tried making adjustments all year. This offense can be highly successful when run with the right qb because it puts so much pressure on the defense. Now it's up to joe to find that qb.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Joe Moorhead

Homedawg
01-03-2019, 04:04 PM
I mean, it would be preferable, yes. He did state it pretty definitively and then didn't back it up.

This doesn't prove we'll win 8, but we get to play the 3 clear worst teams from 2018 (Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee) next year, and none appears likely to improve much if at all.

Kentucky is likely to take a big step back after losing Snell, Allen, and their QB, and they were likely overachieving (unlike us) this season anyway.

Auburn and Texas A&M will be tough on the road, but we did beat them this year deservedly and non-flukily, so I'm not counting us out.

Like I said, we may or may not win 8, but the above facts suggest that the naysayers are probably underrating our chances.

I can take the flip side of your comments about ARk, ole miss, and ut, and well UK for that matter- we are losing 3 top 2 rounders, additionally, 5 of our top DT's. Our other starting DE, our other starting safety, 2 other db's (one of which will get a shot at the nfl.) Offensively, 2 starting lineman, both of which will get drafted, our starting TE, and the guy who was our QB for 3 years, one of which he led the league in total offense. See how that works, look at starters returning and nobody in their right mind outside people here would possibly think we could be anywhere close to as good. And I agree with them.

MarketingBully
01-03-2019, 04:20 PM
I can take the flip side of your comments about ARk, ole miss, and ut, and well UK for that matter- we are losing 3 top 2 rounders, additionally, 5 of our top DT's. Our other starting DE, our other starting safety, 2 other db's (one of which will get a shot at the nfl.) Offensively, 2 starting lineman, both of which will get drafted, our starting TE, and the guy who was our QB for 3 years, one of which he led the league in total offense. See how that works, look at starters returning and nobody in their right mind outside people here would possibly think we could be anywhere close to as good. And I agree with them.

And we still will have more talent on our team then the 4 OOC teams plus Ark, OM, and UK. This team will be 8-4 next year because our feature back will be Hill and not Fitzgerald. It will be addition by subtraction and the offense next year will resemble more of what Moorhead did at Penn State rather then this year where he had no idea how best to utilize Fitz. The defense won’t be elite but it still will be top half SEC and with the improvement from the offense we won’t need elite from the defense next year.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Honestly the DT is what scares me the most. I think Rivers will fill the void left by Sweat. Safety might take a step back but I think we have a good bit of talent there along with all our LBs coming back. Baker and Shoop are definitely going to earn their paycheck next year.

Spencer was explosive as a freshman and I think Lovett will be the next great DT in his 2nd year. Sophomore year is usually when you see the biggest improvement from those guys.

On Oline, we will miss Jenkins but we actually have a lot of talent returning and I could see Cross getting a shot in the rotation at Tackle. He is currently the highest rated recruit rated on 247 in MSU history. A lot of great OT play as freshmen.

TE - didn't realize we had one. Dontae Jones is a beast though.

QB - I don't think we will actually miss Fitz. He played like crap against the good to great teams other than A&M. Against AU, we just ran it anyway which Key is very good at also. Key seems to throw a "more catchable" pass so at a minimum this might end up being a positive.

All in all, I think the defense takes a step back but the offense improves. I say 7-5 with a chance at 8-4 if everything goes our way.

Bottom line, the offense has to improve or Moorhead's seat is getting very toasty even if we win 6-7 with a good defense and bad Offense.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Y'all will get a laugh from this but SDS predicts we go 9-3 or 10-2 next year.

Homedawg
01-03-2019, 04:28 PM
And we still will have more talent on our team then the 4 OOC teams plus Ark, OM, and UK. This team will be 8-4 next year because our feature back will be Hill and not Fitzgerald. It will be addition by subtraction and the offense next year will resemble more of what Moorhead did at Penn State rather then this year where he had no idea how best to utilize Fitz. The defense won’t be elite but it still will be top half SEC and with the improvement from the offense we won’t need elite from the defense next year.

So it's going to look more like psu because Fitz is gone, yet we didn't replace him this year with the guy who will be the qb next year? . So it will have to be better? Gotcha.......................

Bothrops
01-03-2019, 04:32 PM
We had a couple of TE's recruited last year. I read one is playing baseball, and I don't know if the other is still here.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 04:33 PM

That would definitely buck the trend. We typically take a step back in odd years due to having more toss up games on the road. The record usually goes like this:

Bama - home loss
LSU - home loss
AU - road loss
UK - home win
UM - road toss up - leans toward win currently
Ark - road toss up - leans toward win currently
A&M - road toss up
East opponent - road toss up (UT might be a slight lean toward win)

So if you split the toss ups then that puts us at 7-5. As long as UM, Ark, and UT don't greatly improve, 8-4 is a good bet. A&M and AU will have to probably be upsets.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 04:37 PM
That would definitely buck the trend. We typically take a step back in odd years due to having more toss up games on the road. The record usually goes like this:

Bama - home loss
LSU - home loss
AU - road loss
UK - home win
UM - road toss up - leans toward win currently
Ark - road toss up - leans toward win currently
A&M - road toss up
East opponent - road toss up (UT might be a slight lean toward win)

So if you split the toss ups then that puts us at 7-5. As long as UM, Ark, and UT don't greatly improve, 8-4 is a good bet. A&M and AU will have to probably be upsets.

I thought it was extremely ambitious especially coming from sds. I think 8-4 is doable.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 04:37 PM

If we do that, I'll get Moorhead's ugly mug tatted on my arm and never criticize anything he does. That would be an urban Meyer/nick saban type of coaching job

Scared_Hitless
01-03-2019, 04:38 PM
So what happens if KT is legit? Would that change anyone's tune?

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 04:39 PM
I thought it was extremely ambitious especially coming from sds. I think 8-4 is doable.

Hard to say we will beat A&M and AU on the road. A&M is also going to pull in a top 5 recruiting class. I think the sleeping giant might have been woken up. I could see A&M start battling Bama for top in the West after another couple years recruiting like that.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 04:40 PM
If we do that, I'll get Moorhead's ugly mug tatted on my arm and never criticize anything he does. That would be an urban Meyer/nick saban type of coaching job

Someone sticky this to the top of the board. I will throw in $10 on the tat. LOL

msstate7
01-03-2019, 04:42 PM
So what happens if KT is legit? Would that change anyone's tune?

I'm more worried about LOS play on both sides than QB TBH

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 04:42 PM

I think I would join you in that and I'm an optimist and I don't see 9-10 wins. I could see 8-4 and winning a bowl game to get to 9 but they saying 9-3 or 10-2,.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Hard to say we will beat A&M and AU on the road. A&M is also going to pull in a top 5 recruiting class. I think the sleeping giant might have been woken up. I could see A&M start battling Bama for top in the West after another couple years recruiting like that.

I could really see anywhere from 6-8 wins, but I'm going 8-4.

MarketingBully
01-03-2019, 04:45 PM

I think 9-3 or 10-2 is more likely then the idiots predicting 3-5 wins. But we shall see. And btw, I’m not going to hold you to this ridiculous wager if we do win 9 or 10 games next year.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 04:47 PM
I think 9-3 or 10-2 is more likely then the idiots predicting 3-5 wins. But we shall see. And btw, I’m not going to hold you to this ridiculous wager if we do win 9 or 10 games next year.

There would have to be an offsetting bet. Don't know about you but I don't want a Mullen tattoo on my butt reminding me to strain.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
There would have to be an offsetting bet. Don't know about you but I don't want a Mullen tattoo on my butt reminding me to strain.

Market would have to get his least favorite person in the world, fitz

dawgday166
01-03-2019, 04:58 PM

LMAO ... Whatever they smoking that must be some good shit ****

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Someone sticky this to the top of the board. I will throw in $10 on the tat. LOL

I'll throw $10 in on that.

dawgday166
01-03-2019, 05:08 PM
I'll throw $10 in on that.

Same here. I would love to contribute $10 to the cause for a 9-3 or 10-2 season next year.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2019, 05:16 PM

Everybody back on the A&M train again. Youll be off again by late october next year

Pit Bull
01-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Guarantee you....we will lose one of the first four games.....and it probably wont be KY. Don't know why but I can feel it. Bad vibes must be risin' from dead injun' mounds

mparkerfd20
01-03-2019, 05:41 PM

OK. Auburn and Texas A&M are on the road. We didn't fair well on the road this year against teams with a pulse and both of those teams should be improved next year. I don't think we win either of them and definitely wouldn't count them as WINS. At best they are toss-ups with a 80/20 loss percentage potential. Bama is a loss. LSU at home is a toss-up at best. We've beaten them 2 times in the last 18 years. Granted 2 were in the last 5, but it's another 60-40 loss percentage potential. Texas A&M only got better as the season progressed and should be better next year in year 2 of Jimbo ball. UT on the road will be tough after playing on the road at Auburn. I think we lose 2 of UT/KY/A&M/Arkansas. Add in Bama, LSU, Auburn. I think 5 wins is the floor and 7 is the ceiling. I hope I'm wrong like everyone else, but anyone predicting 8+ at this point is too optimistic.

Louisiana - WIN
Southern Miss - WIN
Kansas State - WIN
Kentucky - Toss-up
@Auburn - LOSS
@UT - Toss-up
LSU - LOSS
@TAM - LOSS
@ARK - WIN
ALA - LOSS
ABILENE - WIN
OM - WIN

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 05:58 PM
OK. Auburn and Texas A&M are on the road. We didn't fair well on the road this year against teams with a pulse and both of those teams should be improved next year. I don't think we win either of them and definitely wouldn't count them as WINS. At best they are toss-ups with a 80/20 loss percentage potential. Bama is a loss. LSU at home is a toss-up at best. We've beaten them 2 times in the last 18 years. Granted 2 were in the last 5, but it's another 60-40 loss percentage potential. Texas A&M only got better as the season progressed and should be better next year in year 2 of Jimbo ball. UT on the road will be tough after playing on the road at Auburn. I think we lose 2 of UT/KY/A&M/Arkansas. Add in Bama, LSU, Auburn. I think 5 wins is the floor and 7 is the ceiling. I hope I'm wrong like everyone else, but anyone predicting 8+ at this point is too optimistic.

Louisiana - WIN
Southern Miss - WIN
Kansas State - WIN
Kentucky - Toss-up
@Auburn - LOSS
@UT - Toss-up
LSU - LOSS
@TAM - LOSS
@ARK - WIN
ALA - LOSS
ABILENE - WIN
OM - WIN

I think UK at home is a win. They were very senior heavy and Allen and Snell are gone to the NFL. Their offense revolved around Snell so I think they take a step back.

I think UT is a toss up due to it being on the road. It is hard to win on the road in the SEC but UT wasn't very good although they had their moments.

That puts us at either 7-5 or 8-4. Anything above 8 wins is total gravy and unexpected in my eyes.

Todd4State
01-03-2019, 06:53 PM
I think UK at home is a win. They were very senior heavy and Allen and Snell are gone to the NFL. Their offense revolved around Snell so I think they take a step back.

I think UT is a toss up due to it being on the road. It is hard to win on the road in the SEC but UT wasn't very good although they had their moments.

That puts us at either 7-5 or 8-4. Anything above 8 wins is total gravy and unexpected in my eyes.

UK is a payback game for our guys. One week after Kentucky has to play Florida in a payback game. I'm afraid that Tennessee could potentially end up like the Kentucky game this year. Pruitt's goal is going to be to make a bowl and I'm sure he is hoping that we are one of their six. We could be their Super Bowl.

Auburn is so unpredictable you never know what they are going to be. Could be anything from 3-9 to 12-0.

A&M may beat us- but they have to play Clemson on the road, Alabama, Georgia, and then LSU in Baton Rouge. I think they lose all four of those.

Really the QB is the key for us.

Homedawg
01-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Louisiana - WIN
Southern Miss - WIN
Kansas State - WIN
Kentucky - Toss-up
@Auburn - LOSS
@UT - Toss-up
LSU - LOSS
@TAM - LOSS
@ARK - WIN
ALA - LOSS
ABILENE - WIN
OM - WIN

Bet there were at least 8 wins on your this year's predictions w a couple of toss ups.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 06:56 PM
UK is a payback game for our guys. One week after Kentucky has to play Florida in a payback game. I'm afraid that Tennessee could potentially end up like the Kentucky game this year. Pruitt's goal is going to be to make a bowl and I'm sure he is hoping that we are one of their six. We could be their Super Bowl.

Auburn is so unpredictable you never know what they are going to be. Could be anything from 3-9 to 12-0.

A&M may beat us- but they have to play Clemson on the road, Alabama, Georgia, and then LSU in Baton Rouge. I think they lose all four of those.

Really the QB is the key for us.

aTm's schedule is brutal. Dang. I will say I and many others here didn't think LSU was gonna navigate their tough schedule either though.

Todd4State
01-03-2019, 07:02 PM
aTm's schedule is brutal. Dang. I will say I and many others here didn't think LSU was gonna navigate their tough schedule either though.

That's in part because at this time their QB situation was a major question mark. LSU is LSU though- they play really well at home and struggle on the road. Even Arkansas for them wasn't a very dominating performance from them last year. Barely beat Auburn. Played decently against A&M and should have won. And then they hammer Georgia in Baton Rouge. They are a very good team- but there is no doubt that they are markedly better in Baton Rouge.

Dawgfan77
01-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Another reason I think we will win 8 games We return and ton of snaps on the OL. Here is what my starting OL would be
Lt Phillips
LG sharp
Center Williams
Rg Reese
Rt Eiland
Back ups. Parker Dolla Bill champion and story

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Another reason I think we will win 8 games We return and ton of snaps on the OL. Here is what my starting OL would be
Lt Phillips
LG sharp
Center Williams
Rg Reese
Rt Eiland
Back ups. Parker Dolla Bill champion and story

Or

Pretty good, but don't count out Cross. He's more talented than all of them

MoreCowbell
01-04-2019, 12:25 AM

Thank you. Tried telling people in the Draft Picks thread that Williams is a projected top 2round pick everywhere and is rated the #2 Guard I believe. Either he really wants his degree or the sites are getting him confused with another OL. If these mocks are solid he will get a really high draft grade and likely be gone.

mparkerfd20
01-04-2019, 12:31 AM
Bet there were at least 8 wins on your this year's predictions w a couple of toss ups.

Yes I had us at 8 to 10. Expected 9 and was hoping for 10 with a bowl win. Very, very disappointed in 8 counting the bowl.