PDA

View Full Version : Pregame Chatter

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 04:18 PM
I don't think the below excerpt explains much of the game other than how Iowa was extremely motivated for the contest. It's all in hindsight now.

From the Cedar Rapids, IA Gazette.

Iowa is a program that has chips on both shoulders. It probably wasn't a great idea for Mississippi State players to carve those any deeper.

The Bulldogs did exactly that. It started Friday at Tampa General Hospital. Mississippi State's star defensive players and a band of Iowa's anonymous walk-ons visited kids, something the Outback Bowl does every year.

You'd think it'd be mundane handshakes between the opposing teams. It didn't go down that way.

"At one of those hospital visits, they were talking crap to some of our younger guys saying 'all-America, all-American, draft pick, draft pick, draft pick,' senior safety Jake Gervase said. "So, I think that put a little fuel on the fire."

Maybe that made wide receiver Nick Easley a little more cutthroat. Maybe that gave unheralded players like linebacker Jack Hockaday that little extra oomph to stick his face in a pile of Mississippi State. Gervase has made a career out of 'all-Americn, draft pick' and yada yada yada.

"We weren't going to give into it, but we knew if came out, competed and played our asses off, we'd be able to win this game."

Take it for what it's worth.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Why would your coach send a bunch of walk-ons to the hospital?

That seems weird. Glad you got the "last laugh" while our All-Americans held you to negative yardage in rushing. Really showed us.

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Your Welcome, we gifted you a football game. Enough already, or are you really from Oregon.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Why would your coach send a bunch of walk-ons to the hospital?

That seems weird. Glad you got the "last laugh" while our All-Americans held you to negative yardage in rushing. Really showed us.

You're taking it the wrong way.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 04:27 PM
I have honestly never seen a fanbase win with less grace. Iowa fans were all nice before the game and even during the game...but after the game...whoa. They are some nasty folks. I don't know if this is their first big game to win and they don't know how to handle it or what but I mean they are downright hateful to people all over facebook and twitter. I've seen Ole Miss fans with more poise than Iowa fans. It's a really bad look for their fanbase.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Only one side of the story. Iowa players must be choir boys they don't talk trash or anything like that, they don't commit penalties etc. just wow!

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Your Welcome, we gifted you a football game. Enough already, or are you really from Oregon.

I know.

Thank you for the gift.

Just saying, that behavior is something that JoMo needs to clean up. No need for it.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Only one side of the story. Iowa players must be choir boys they don't talk trash or anything like that, they don't commit penalties etc. just wow!

It has become very apparent that the Iowa fanbase is 100% virtuous and ready to fight social injustice wherever it occurs in social media.

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2019, 04:37 PM
I know.

Thank you for the gift.

Just saying, that behavior is something that JoMo needs to clean up. No need for it.

Get out of here with this bullshit

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:38 PM
You're taking it the wrong way.

Nope. You're trolling.

And by the way people that need something like that to motivate them I've found tend to be less successful in life in general. So your guys can enjoy the Outback Bowl while ours are enjoying their millions and their NFL fame.

We don't need fans from other schools telling us how our players should act. Especially on hearsay.

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2019, 04:39 PM

yea i guess he missed the two times his choir boys threw punches

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:39 PM
It has become very apparent that the Iowa fanbase is 100% virtuous and ready to fight social injustice wherever it occurs in social media.

I've also found that they go out of their way to tell you how nice they are. I don't trust people like that. For good reason.

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 04:40 PM
I know.

Thank you for the gift.

Again, your welcome 17 off.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Honestly I don't like that kind of trash talk but to each his own. If this is true, I don't know why they felt the need to talk to a bunch of walk ons who wouldn't play. The team didn't look focused and it bit them in the ass.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
I've also found that they go out of their way to tell you how nice they are. I don't trust people like that. For good reason.

Yeah. It just suprised me the 180 they did. Had several friends at the game who told me that Iowa fans were acting a fool afterward and being really aggressive. I think this was probably the biggest win they have had for their program so they are really feeling their oats.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
yea i guess he missed the two times his choir boys threw punches

But of course because they're perfect gentlemen who would never stoop to anything like that. It's all on us******

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Yeah. It just suprised me the 180 they did. Had several friends at the game who told me that Iowa fans were acting a fool afterward and being really aggressive. I think this was probably the biggest win they have had for their program so they are really feeling their oats.

I will say that I was at the game and did not have anyone act aggressively towards me and I walked through their tailgate to get an Uber. I don't have a problem with fans celebrating a win over MSU because that's part of it and I certainly celebrate when MSU wins. I don't act aggressively when we win of course.

But even though nothing happened to me I've found over the course of my life that people that go completely out of their way to show you how nice they are probably really aren't. If you are a really nice and kind person people will pick up on that naturally.

And still haven't gotten an answer a to why Iowa sent a bunch of no name walk-ons to a children's hospital. That's weird and honestly I don't buy it. If true at least our players who "ran their mouths" had the gall to spend time with sick children unlike their holier than thou good players. So, I'm not sure how this spin is a good look for Iowa football.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 04:57 PM
I will say that I was at the game and did not have anyone act aggressively towards me and I walked through their tailgate to get an Uber. I don't have a problem with fans celebrating a win over MSU because that's part of it and I certainly celebrate when MSU wins. I don't act aggressively when we win of course.

But even though nothing happened to me I've found over the course of my life that people that go completely out of their way to show you how nice they are probably really aren't. If you are a really nice and kind person people will pick up on that naturally.

And still haven't gotten an answer a to why Iowa sent a bunch of no name walk-ons to a children's hospital. That's weird and honestly I don't buy it. If true at least our players who "ran their mouths" had the gall to spend time with sick children unlike their holier than thou good players. So, I'm not sure how this spin is a good look for Iowa football.

Very well said! I've also found when a story like this cones out, a "they said" and we are innocent type story it's generally bs and if it did happen both sides were involved.

RougeDawg
01-02-2019, 04:59 PM
I have honestly never seen a fanbase win with less grace. Iowa fans were all nice before the game and even during the game...but after the game...whoa. They are some nasty folks. I don't know if this is their first big game to win and they don't know how to handle it or what but I mean they are downright hateful to people all over facebook and twitter. I've seen Ole Miss fans with more poise than Iowa fans. It's a really bad look for their fanbase.

I had one get in my face at 7:30 pm after the game and yell “Go Hawks”. I was with my family and he with his. I just ignored him. Pretty classless and this wasn’t the only example I witnessed. This was just the only one that actually occurred to me. I just laughed and figured Iowa must be a pretty miserable place for him to feel the need to do that. I’ll keep living my live in New Orleans and enjoy the other things life has to offer.

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Very well said! I've also found when a story like this cones out, a "they said" and we are innocent type story it's generally bs and if it did happen both sides were involved.

The guy is trolling us, he came here backhandedly calling our players thugs who can't back up their talk. They were absolutely gifted the game and he wants to rub our nose in it. 17 that guy.

RezDog7
01-02-2019, 05:06 PM
I don't think the below excerpt explains much of the game other than how Iowa was extremely motivated for the contest. It's all in hindsight now.

From the Cedar Rapids, IA Gazette.

Iowa is a program that has chips on both shoulders. It probably wasn't a great idea for Mississippi State players to carve those any deeper.

The Bulldogs did exactly that. It started Friday at Tampa General Hospital. Mississippi State's star defensive players and a band of Iowa's anonymous walk-ons visited kids, something the Outback Bowl does every year.

You'd think it'd be mundane handshakes between the opposing teams. It didn't go down that way.

"At one of those hospital visits, they were talking crap to some of our younger guys saying 'all-America, all-American, draft pick, draft pick, draft pick,' senior safety Jake Gervase said. "So, I think that put a little fuel on the fire."

Maybe that made wide receiver Nick Easley a little more cutthroat. Maybe that gave unheralded players like linebacker Jack Hockaday that little extra oomph to stick his face in a pile of Mississippi State. Gervase has made a career out of 'all-Americn, draft pick' and yada yada yada.

"We weren't going to give into it, but we knew if came out, competed and played our asses off, we'd be able to win this game."

Take it for what it's worth.

Please just go away forever.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
The guy is trolling us, he came here backhandedly calling our players thugs who can't back up their talk. They were absolutely gifted the game and he wants to rub our nose in it. 17 that guy.

Rep given!

IowaFan
01-02-2019, 05:34 PM
while ours are enjoying their millions and their NFL fame.

Are the 26 former Hawkeyes in the NFL all playing for free?

Coursesuper
01-02-2019, 05:38 PM

There are a bunch more just like you at Nafoom.com go check them out you'll fit right in. Bye.

mparkerfd20
01-02-2019, 05:40 PM
I know.

Thank you for the gift.

Why are you still here? Get off our board.

IowaFan
01-02-2019, 05:41 PM
There are a bunch more just like you at Nafoom.com go check them out you'll fit right in. Bye.

Just wondering why Todd4State felt the need to mention those guys would be enjoying their millions.
Unless, maybe, the former Hawkeyes in the NFL don't enjoy their millions?
Odd either way.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Did they play in the Outback Bowl yesterday?

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Just wondering why Todd4State felt the need to mention those guys would be enjoying their millions.
Unless, maybe, the former Hawkeyes in the NFL don't enjoy their millions?
Odd either way.

As odd as going to another team's message board to tell everyone how good your team is? Point is the pinnacle of our football players career isn't going to be winning the Outback Bowl since you asked.

Glad my comment left a mark.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 06:05 PM
All the idiot Hawkeye fans going after Brandon Walker is idiotic and childish. I am now a ABI fan (Anybody But Iowa). You got your win Hawkeye fans now go back to your nest and get off this board (said in the nicest possible way).

IowaFan
01-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Did they play in the Outback Bowl yesterday?

Touche!

Only 2 played, the highest projected one sat out.

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 06:54 PM

Apparently so, that's why the refs refused to call a penalty on them.

ScoobaDawg
01-02-2019, 07:20 PM

Guys... We enjoy enjoyed your time here before the game.. But now your time is up. So go back to watching wrestling and being proud of your state that has nothing to offer.

If we magically get matched up in some other sporting event feel free to come back. But till then. The doors closing on your time here.

Gutter Cobreh
01-02-2019, 07:29 PM

You wanted them to actually visit? They think simply waving while standing outside the facility is good enough to encourage the kids... also, their best player sat out to preserve his draft stock while our best decided to honor their commitment to their teammates.

I'll judge our players off their actions versus some hearsay...

Maridian Dawg
01-02-2019, 07:49 PM
I've never seen a more classless group of fans other than TSUN. I had multiple fans heckling me and my family, and even a couple of guys ran in front of my car when I was leaving the parking lot after the game to brag. After the game, walking down the tunnel, it got pretty chippy, almost egg-bowl-esque. 17 Iowa and their fans.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 07:52 PM
You wanted them to actually visit? They think simply waving while standing outside the facility is good enough to encourage the kids... also, their best player sat out to preserve his draft stock while our best decided to honor their commitment to their teammates.

I'll judge our players off their actions versus some hearsay...

Exactly. I would have thought that the waving thing would have if anything caused more of their better players to visit. Of course I'm not buying any of this BS from them- especially about only walk-ons going to the hospital.

DLGDawg
01-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Again, your welcome 17 off.

For real. In all my fitty years of being a State fan, this game tops them all in terms of ?gave away?.
Good grief. Just how many goofs did we have that were absolutely huge. 7, 8...idk. I mean crap. TOUCHDOWN .....noooooo. A frickin interception. That one tops the cake.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 08:06 PM
For real. In all my fitty years of being a State fan, this game tops them all in terms of ?gave away?.
Good grief. Just how many goofs did we have that were absolutely huge. 7, 8...idk. I mean crap. TOUCHDOWN .....noooooo. A frickin interception. That one tops the cake.

Yep. That was a pretty flukey play. But no we lost because we ran our mouths at the hospital in front of their scout team.************

LuteLuteLute
01-02-2019, 08:22 PM
If you are referring to who has more current players in the NFL, I think the answer is Iowa.

Having said that, I was amazed at your run defense. Ferentz said it was the best running D he has seen since LSU a few years back.

From my view, the difference in the game was key drops by your wideouts.

Also too bad we didn't have a chance to see Iowa's Noah Fant. We could have used him.

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 08:57 PM
But of course because they're perfect gentlemen who would never stoop to anything like that. It's all on us******

Yes, they are perfect. That is why the SEC hating PAC 10 "officials" never had to call a penalty on their perfect team. Grow up, it's football.

redstickdawg
01-02-2019, 09:28 PM
If you are referring to who has more current players in the NFL, I think the answer is Iowa.

Having said that, I was amazed at your run defense. Ferentz said it was the best running D he has seen since LSU a few years back.

From my view, the difference in the game was key drops by your wideouts.

Also too bad we didn't have a chance to see Iowa's Noah Fant. We could have used him.

Ban time for all these 17'ers

Political Hack
01-02-2019, 11:24 PM
We lost due to a lack of discipline. We beat ourselves. Acting like a bunch of clowns at the hospital is at the very essence of the problem. JoMo needs to clean that up. The days of JWS letting the guys do what they want without reprisal is over. They are under more scrutiny and are more exposed than ever. Coming from Penn state, you'd think that would be a priority.

Bothrops
01-02-2019, 11:45 PM
This is kinda reminiscent of the pre- Kentucky debacle and we got woodshedded. Pisses me off to be honest. I understand the defense would have likely stuffed Iowa, if our bullshit offense would have gotten their heads out of their tails. Game thrown away over bullshit.

KnightHawk
01-03-2019, 09:46 PM
To answer the question, the younger players were there because the older guys had already had that experience, so Ferentz was trying to get some of the players who hadn't been to Tampa yet a chance to go to the hospital.

I'll leave you guys to allow you to get back to slamming your team now. Best of luck next year. Sorry to those who had encounters with rude fans.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Iowa still sucks. Good win. Lol.

RougeDawg
01-04-2019, 02:04 AM
Guys... We enjoy enjoyed your time here before the game.. But now your time is up. So go back to watching wrestling and being proud of your state that has nothing to offer.

If we magically get matched up in some other sporting event feel free to come back. But till then. The doors closing on your time here.

Well you forgot one thing they offer. Shitty F*cking ethanol fuel that has less energy per volume and corrodes any gasoline engine components. The ethanol mandate is one of the most asanine, idiotic mandates our nation has ever dolled out. It drives up food costs, makes fuel less efficient and more corrosive, and gives an abnormally large influence from a small insignificant state on our national politics.

If I ever run for office, the ethanol mandate will be my first issue. Even a first grader can understand how idiotic and asinine it is. All negatives for everyone outside of corn country.