PDA

View Full Version : In Defense of Guidry.....

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
It's a tough defense & I'm not sure it matters anyway, but.....

Was that pass intended for him?

I watched it again & I'm pretty sure Fitz over threw the intended WR

9:25 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-f_y4OETEw

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Guidry was very unreliable and dropped way too many passes that were even more catchable than yesterday's rocket was. Gotta catch those.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 03:14 PM
No it hit him in the chest. He tried making sure not to drop it by trying to catch the ball with his body instead of his hands.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:15 PM
No it hit him in the chest. He tried making sure not to drop it by trying to catch the ball with his body instead of his hands.

He did this all year long when he dropped the pass. Every time I think.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 03:16 PM

The ball wasn’t going to Guidry. It was overthrown. Brian confirmed it on his podcast and saw the play. That ball wasn’t intended for Guidry.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 03:17 PM
The ball wasn’t going to Guidry. It was overthrown. Brian confirmed it on his podcast and saw the play. That ball wasn’t intended for Guidry.

Well it was a damn sure perfect overthrow then cause it hit him square in numbers. He's got to catch it. You talk about being a playmaker, you gotta make a play. Period.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2019, 03:18 PM
delete

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Just wondering if he was surprised by the ball coming to him

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Well it was a damn sure perfect overthrow then cause it hit him square in numbers. He's got to catch it. You talk about being a playmaker, you gotta make a play. Period.

Agree he has to catch it. Just saying that it's....well.....

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 03:24 PM

You know if it wasn't such a freaking tragedy it would be funny, Fitz making a perfect throw to a receiver who wasn't even the receiver he was throwing to! Like Rick Vaughn from Major League just dang!

NCDawg
01-02-2019, 03:26 PM

I think you are probably correct. He was surprised the ball came to him, but he still should have caught it-no question.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 03:27 PM

I don’t know what to tell you. Guidry wasn’t the intended target and that’s a fact. Hadad used a great example though of someone making a play vs not. Bumphis made a play on an overthrow to him from Relf in the 2009 Egg Bowl and Guidry didn’t. Should he of caught it? Sure but my point remains he wasn’t the target Fitz was aiming for.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 03:29 PM
I don’t know what to tell you. Guidry wasn’t the intended target and that’s a fact. Hadad used a great example though of someone making a play vs not. Bumphis made a play on an overthrow to him from Relf in the 2009 Egg Bowl and Guidry didn’t. Should he of caught it? Sure but my point remains he wasn’t the target Fitz was aiming for.

Amazing ain't it? I think I've seen it all now.

RougeDawg
01-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Overthrow or not. Great receivers make that catch. Why? Because great receivers think they are open every play and expect the ball to be thrown to them every play. Guidry apparently does not have this mindset. His play this year displayed that. We

Pollodawg
01-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Moot point if it was intended for him or not. As a receiver, you?re always ready to make the catch even if the ball isn?t ?coming to you? on that play. It?s called awareness and just being mentally ready.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Amazing ain't it? I think I've seen it all now.

If you watch the replay the guy at the 10 tries to leap for it and it looked like Fitz just heaved it instead of actually knowing where he wanted to go with it. Guidry still should of caught it but the guy leaping for the ball may have got in his line of site just enough to mess with his concentration. Looking at the replay it’s a fairly odd play.

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 03:40 PM

I don't need Brian to confirm it, we would need Nick to say that because otherwise its just Brian's opinion like anyone else's. All I will say is that if it was intended for Guidry it could not have been thrown any more perfectly. For the other receiver (Johnson?) he was not even a factor. It was 3 or 4 feet over his head and the ball was not tipped. An SEC caliber receiver has to make that catch in that situation. Of course, the real killer was Guidry popping it up in the air. It was first and 10 inside the 20 on the play so if he had just dropped it to the ground we still had plenty of chances to score a TD or a FG either of which would have given us back the lead.

msudawg1200
01-02-2019, 04:06 PM
When I saw it live I told my son it wasn’t intended for Guidry.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:09 PM
You know if it wasn't such a freaking tragedy it would be funny, Fitz making a perfect throw to a receiver who wasn't even the receiver he was throwing to! Like Rick Vaughn from Major League just dang!

I remember Derrick Taite completing a pass to Lamont Woodberry for a TD on a Eric Moulds tribute catch in 1996 that I'm about 99% sure it wasn't intended for him.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:10 PM
When I saw it live I told my son it wasn’t intended for Guidry.

I saw it live and thought the same thing to because we had a receiver underneath as everyone knows.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-02-2019, 04:11 PM
It don’t matter who the target was.... Stevie Wonder would’ve caught that pass.

Bdawg
01-02-2019, 04:16 PM

Your a WR running a pass route. You expect the ball to come to you every pass play. Anyway, he saw it coming and tried to make the catch, which bounced off his chest for an int.

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Your a WR running a pass route. You expect the ball to come to you every pass play. Anyway, he saw it coming and tried to make the catch, which bounced off his chest for an int.

Technically it hit off his chest and then he popped it up in the air with his hands trying to catch it off the chest rebound. If it had just hit his chest it would have fallen to the ground incomplete.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 04:22 PM
I just went back and watched it in slow motion. It actually looks like our receiver tipped the damn ball. It was almost tumbling when it hit Guidry.

West Tn Dawg
01-02-2019, 04:28 PM
He wasn't surprised. He saw it in plenty of time. You can see him setting up to catch it and he let it bounce off his chest. No excuse, he should have caught it.

Bdawg
01-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Technically it hit off his chest and then he popped it up in the air with his hands trying to catch it off the chest rebound. If it had just hit his chest it would have fallen to the ground incomplete.

Yes I think we all know that.

Bdawg
01-02-2019, 04:33 PM
He wasn't surprised. He saw it in plenty of time. You can see him setting up to catch it and he let it bounce off his chest. No excuse, he should have caught it.

Exactly. He prepared to make the catch and blew it.

Mutt the Hoople
01-02-2019, 04:33 PM
While real students are piling up hugh loan debts, or working their asses off taking part-time and summer jobs along with pursuing majors in school, Guidry gets paid free room, tuition, books, board, food, and has coaches and training staff who work with him endlessly just to do a few things, the most important which is to CATCH AN OBLONG BALL. Someone said that Fitz' passes were like trying to catch oblong bricks? Fine, throw them oblong bricks, or even better, try to catch a wrench:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1meNEIv_Ac
By working at his craft, he had a chance to make millions of dollars as a professional wide receiver. Instead, he decided to sulk, whine, bitch, not work at his craft, and cost us the game, himself millions of dollars, and a future working making pizzas at Dominos.

Leroy Jenkins
01-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Well it was a damn sure perfect overthrow then cause it hit him square in numbers.

This is how you know it wasn't intended for Guidry.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 04:43 PM

heyyyyoooooooo!!! Nice one!

Commercecomet24
01-02-2019, 04:48 PM

You gotta get some rep for that one!

msu15
01-02-2019, 04:52 PM
One of the most #WeAreMSU plays I've ever seen live.

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 06:48 PM

So it would have only been intended for Guidry if the ball was 3 feet over his head. Got it.

confucius say
01-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Who cares? If you come out of your break and are not expecting the ball, you are loafing. Period. "I wasn't expecting the ball" is never an excuse. You should always expect the ball as a receiver.

bluelightstar
01-02-2019, 07:04 PM
I’m sure the receivers don’t expect Fitz to go through his progressions so it doesn’t surprise me that the receivers who aren’t first read are caught off guard.

TALL DAWG
01-02-2019, 08:52 PM
It's a tough defense & I'm not sure it matters anyway, but.....

Was that pass intended for him?

I watched it again & I'm pretty sure Fitz over threw the intended WR

9:25 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-f_y4OETEw

Was the pass intended for Guidry my tall dawg a$$?!? Does not matter as it hit him right in the hands and he had plenty of time to see it coming. NO excuse for dropping it or tipping it in the air to be intercepted and returned to the 30ish. Whatever....

bluelightstar
01-02-2019, 09:10 PM
The play should’ve worked, but I couldn’t believe Moorhead called that pass when it appeared that we were finally opening running lanes on that drive.

drunkernhelldawg
01-03-2019, 12:43 AM
He dropped one that would have won it, but that's a mile away from being the reason we lost the game. He made some great plays for us this season.

Beyond that, the bowl game is the least important game of the season. It's gravy, a reward for a good season. By the time the game rolled around, some of our NFL prospects may have regretted being there. A terrible example of a team giving less than full effort in the bowl game is Georgia yesterday. Fitz was off all day, and maybe that's the biggest factor. But the effort was there across the board.

Bothrops
01-03-2019, 12:48 AM
Tilden Katz, he missed catches all season.

NCDawg
01-03-2019, 01:38 AM
That was a perfect pass Fitz threw to Thompson. Looked to me Thompson tried to catch it back-handed or something. His hands weren't in the proper position to make the catch.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2019, 09:31 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/lAZ6fhepvAUec/giphy.gif

msstate7
01-03-2019, 09:44 AM
I have seen it all... this board deflects blame for Guidry dropping a ball that hit his hands to fitz. I swear some of you guys blame fitz for the all that's wrong in the world

Gutter Cobreh
01-03-2019, 09:50 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/lAZ6fhepvAUec/giphy.gif

More of these, less of twitter posts. Funny stuff!

Dental Dawg33
01-03-2019, 10:19 AM
He cried half the year on social media then dropped numerous balls throughout the year. Made some plays, but was far from what I thought he would be. You're a D1 receiver, catch the damn ball. I'd be a little more accepting if it weren't a common occurrence and he hadn't been a distraction earlier in the year.

Scared_Hitless
01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
By year end honestly I feel like Osiris was a much better receiver than Guidry. He doesnt have tools and seems to lack bend but at least he started catching the ball and making some plays. Guidry was always a 1 play per game at best all season. Even yesterday Osiris made two very tough catches that set our team in great position. Refs took 1 but still Guidry on the other hand tripped over his feet .

sandwolf
01-03-2019, 01:23 PM
The ball wasn?t going to Guidry. It was overthrown. Brian confirmed it on his podcast and saw the play. That ball wasn?t intended for Guidry.

Did Fitz tell Brian this? Because that's the only possible way he could confirm it. How anyone could come to the conclusion that the ball wasn't intended for Guidry is beyond me.

sandwolf
01-03-2019, 01:25 PM
I have seen it all... this board deflects blame for Guidry dropping a ball that hit his hands to fitz. I swear some of you guys blame fitz for the all that's wrong in the world

Yea, this thread is unbelievable.

chef dixon
01-03-2019, 01:45 PM

This board defends him just as much, but I agree this thread is bad. Guidry has been bad and there is no excuse, but it doesn't absolve Fitz' issues as some seem to suggest

Jack Lambert
01-03-2019, 08:26 PM
I wonder what fitz completion percentage would be if they took out the dropped passes.