PDA

View Full Version : Interesting offensive stats

msstate7
01-02-2019, 03:04 PM
In 2016, we ran 943 total plays. Of the 943, 532 were running plays, so we were 56/44 run heavy. Of the 532 running plays, fitz ran the ball 195 times (37%)

In 2017, we ran 987 total plays. Of the 987, 634 were running plays, so we were 64/36 run heavy. Of the 634 running plays, fitz ran the ball 162 times (26%).

In 2018, we ran 837 total plays. Of the 837, 514 were running play, so we were 61/39 run heavy. Of the 514 running plays, fitz ran the ball 221 times (43%).

Couple things stand out to me:

1. We were down 13% in total plays this year from 2016 and 18% in total plays this year from last. We are waaaay too slow.

2. Fitz was used way too much. Fitz's running plays were up 13% from 2016 and 36% from last year. Some of the lack of explosion in fitz this year could be bc of this. If all of our plays are based off read, defenses wanted fitz to run. And remember fitz didn't play the first game, so his production is actually even more... subtract our 37 rushes vs SFA and fitz ran 221 times out of our 477 times in games he played (46%).

Joe has got to find a way to speed us up and to get RBs the ball. I like the run/pass ratio, but RB to qb carries is way off

msstate7
01-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Just dawned on me that fitz left egg bowl early and didn't play bowl, so his % of runs isn't correct in 2017. Sorry... maybe one of you can help me fix that.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
In 2016, we ran 943 total plays. Of the 943, 532 were running plays, so we were 56/44 run heavy. Of the 532 running plays, fitz ran the ball 195 times (37%)

In 2017, we ran 987 total plays. Of the 987, 634 were running plays, so we were 64/36 run heavy. Of the 634 running plays, fitz ran the ball 162 times (26%).

In 2018, we ran 837 total plays. Of the 837, 514 were running play, so we were 61/39 run heavy. Of the 514 running plays, fitz ran the ball 221 times (43%).

1. We were down 13% in total plays this year from 2016 and 18% in total plays this year from last. We are waaaay too slow.

2. Fitz called his own number way too much. Fitz's running plays were up 13% from 2016 and 36% from last year. Some of the lack of explosion in fitz this year could be bc of this. If all of our plays are based off read, defenses wanted fitz to run. And remember fitz didn't play the first game, so his production is actually even more... subtract our 37 rushes vs SFA and fitz ran 221 times out of our 477 times in games he played (46%).

Joe has got to find a way to speed us up and to get RBs the ball. I like the run/pass ratio, but RB to qb carries is way off

FIFY

I know this falls on JoMo & maybe he needs to teach the offense better, but the majority of Fitz's runs were Fitz calling his own number

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Can't argue with this. Joe needs to figure out the getting the play in stuff. And while Fitz has been a playmaker at times, offenses always work best when playmakers are QB distributing the ball to RBs, TEs, and WRs.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Just dawned on me that fitz left egg bowl early and didn't play bowl, so his % of runs isn't correct in 2017. Sorry... maybe one of you can help me fix that.

You doing good. So go fix your FUBAR ****

msstate7
01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
FIFY

I know this falls on JoMo & maybe he needs to teach the offense better, but the majority of Fitz's runs were Fitz calling his own number

Maybe. LSU is one game that pops out as we were running straight qb power

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Maybe. LSU is one game that pops out as we were running straight qb power

How long does it take to fix a FUBAR?? C'mon mane! *****

CadaverDawg
01-02-2019, 03:27 PM

2. Fitz was used way too much. Fitz's running plays were up 13% from 2016 and 36% from last year. Some of the lack of explosion in fitz this year could be bc of this. If all of our plays are based off read, defenses wanted fitz to run. And remember fitz didn't play the first game, so his production is actually even more... subtract our 37 rushes vs SFA and fitz ran 221 times out of our 477 times in games he played (46%).

Great post. How Joe was the #1 OC in the country is beyond me. Did Penn State do all that standing around presnap that we do? It kills game flow

msugolf
01-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Was actually looking at this the other day. We ran 65 plays a game which ranked 117th out of 130. This is one of the reasons why I don?t think this offense can work in the SEC. It puts very little pressure on the defense and requires damn near perfect execution.

It?s a slow em down spread that tries to outscheme the defense. Won?t work here. Requires you to have superior talent than your opponents. We had another coach before Mullen that tried to implement something similar. All these other teams seem to be going fast, up tempo to offset the talent gap and JoMo likes the opposite.

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Was actually looking at this the other day. We ran 65 plays a game which ranked 117th out of 130. This is one of the reasons why I don?t think this offense can work in the SEC. It puts very little pressure on the defense and requires damn near perfect execution.

It?s a slow em down spread that tries to outscheme the defense. Won?t work here. Requires you to have superior talent than your opponents. We had another coach before Mullen that tried to implement something similar. All these other teams seem to be going fast, up tempo to offset the talent gap and JoMo likes the opposite.

Need a Penn State comp on this since they were a top 4 offense both years. Were we doing this to help Nick or is this JoMo's MO so to speak.**

Amended it appears this is how he runs the offense with Penn State they were at 71 and 69 the last two season. Yeah that isn't going to work.

msugolf
01-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Great post. How Joe was the #1 OC in the country is beyond me. Did Penn State do all that standing around presnap that we do? It kills game flow

JoMo was asked about up tempo earlier in the year and his response was he?d rather get the right play call than just move fast. And yes his offense was the same way at PSU.

His offenses have been grossly exaggerated due to the weak schedule they played in B1G

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Barkley

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Barkley

Good QB mixed with NFL WRs and Barkely. Currently we have 0 of the 3.

Really Clark?
01-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Good QB mixed with NFL WRs and Barkely. Currently we have 0 of the 3.

They also had a 2nd round pick at TE

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 04:47 PM
They also had a 2nd round pick at TE

0 for 4 damn we are screwed.

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2019, 04:56 PM
0 for 4 damn we are screwed.

I think Cumbest and Spivey might change that

msstate7
01-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Barkley truly is special too. Here's his college stats last season:

217 rushes 1271 yds 18 td
54 catches 632 yds 3 td
15 kickoff returns 426 yds 2 td

Barkley was 2nd in rushing this year in the nfl and 13th in catches

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Interesting enough we had the 3rd highest yard per play in the last decade. Only 2014 and 2015 Dak lead offenses were better per play. We also had around the Mullen average for Time of Possession. Our scoring was down to 28.5 from the year before at 32.0 which is a fg. Most of Mullen's offenses were around 30 ppg so not too far off but every little bit helps. It might be the difference to running more plays. The average point margin is actually tied with 2014 at 15 points per game favored to MSU for best point margin in the last decade.

Some of the blowouts skew the numbers with the great defense although KSU and La Tech would probably be 2 of the better OOC games we have played in a while. We also played probably the overall toughest SEC schedule that we have played in a long time

msstate7
01-02-2019, 07:48 PM
You doing good. So go fix your FUBAR ****

I don't know exactly how many running plays were called in the egg bowl before fitz's injury, but he had 3 and I'm using 10 total pre-injury runs. I'm guessing so there is a little +/- error built into this...

In 2017, we ran 987 total plays. Of the 987, 634 were running plays, so we were 64/36 run heavy. Of the 527 [634 total - 52 vs om (took off 10 for pre-injury) - 55 vs Louisville] running plays, fitz ran 162 times (30.7%)

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 08:11 PM
I don't know exactly how many running plays were called in the egg bowl before fitz's injury, but he had 3 and I'm using 10 total pre-injury runs. I'm guessing so there is a little +/- error built into this...

In 2017, we ran 987 total plays. Of the 987, 634 were running plays, so we were 64/36 run heavy. Of the 527 [634 total - 52 vs om (took off 10 for pre-injury) - 55 vs Louisville] running plays, fitz ran 162 times (30.7%)

Even tho the response time was extremely slooowww ... I'll cut you some slack. Pretty good work overall. **

DLGDawg
01-02-2019, 08:52 PM
FIFY

Yep. Ball hog.
If you rewatch the game(you?re way more man/woman than me), watch the goal line stand after Guidry had the inability to run 5 yards into the end zone after the big catch. As fitz was being pushed backwards on third down...notice Hill pitching a fit in the end zone by himself (kinda in top left of tv screen). Maybe ?pitching a fit? is a bad way to put it. Idk. He must have seen a hole or something because he WANTED THE ROCK on that third down play.

tcdog70
01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Yep. Ball hog.
If you rewatch the game(you?re way more man/woman than me), watch the goal line stand after Guidry had the inability to run 5 yards into the end zone after the big catch. As fitz was being pushed backwards on third down...notice Hill pitching a fit in the end zone by himself (kinda in top left of tv screen). Maybe ?pitching a fit? is a bad way to put it. Idk. He must have seen a hole or something because he WANTED THE ROCK on that third down play.

17 the RPO on the goal line-just run the same play Hill scored on earlier. That is on the Coach. He said in postgame game interview that Nick made the correct reads all 3 times---there in lies your problem--RPO on the goal line sux. We know that a qb 5 yards behind the line running a qb draw is asking for trouble. The ends crash down and hit him before he gets to the line. Should have went for it on 4th down and if we don't score our defense has them on the 1 yard line.

msstate7
01-03-2019, 12:14 PM
17 the RPO on the goal line-just run the same play Hill scored on earlier. That is on the Coach. He said in postgame game interview that Nick made the correct reads all 3 times---there in lies your problem--RPO on the goal line sux. We know that a qb 5 yards behind the line running a qb draw is asking for trouble. The ends crash down and hit him before he gets to the line. Should have went for it on 4th down and if we don't score our defense has them on the 1 yard line.

Yep, yep, yep.

Against auburn we ran designed rb carries, and they worked

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Yep, yep, yep.

Against auburn we ran designed rb carries, and they worked

This is the thing that gets me with Moorhead. If he thinks that Fitz keeping the ball for a 1 yard loss on every play was the right call then that play was complete shit. Get the ball to Kylin in space and see if he can make a man miss.

I don't know if it comes with the territory of being a head coach but get your head out of your ass. I have seen it plenty of times with Mullen and the entire Croom years. Hopefully Joe figures it out rather than just being stubborn. What blows my mind was the AU game plan working so well. I don't give a shit if you can QB sneak the damn ball for 7 yards a pop, just do that play over and over if it is always successful. I realize the AU game plan wouldn't work against Bama and at the time probably A&M but at least be able to take part of it and use it again.

msugolf
01-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Don?t know if any of y?all read this but Moorhead says that his teams will never go under center.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=69865

?At that point, Moorhead turned to Andrew Breiner -- then his offensive coordinator, now his quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator -- and they agreed: they'll never go under center again.?

Doggie_Style
01-03-2019, 12:43 PM
To me the biggest question is/has been will Moorhead make significant changes to his game plan to address the issues pointed out in this thread....so far the answer is a resounding NO! So we now sit back and wait on Joe to recruit ‘his guys’....the ones that can run his devine offense. We are literally waiting for him to recruit the next Barkley and a top tier supporting cast....which won’t happen in our lifetimes...we win 6 in 2019

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Don?t know if any of y?all read this but Moorhead says that his teams will never go under center.

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=69865

?At that point, Moorhead turned to Andrew Breiner -- then his offensive coordinator, now his quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator -- and they agreed: they'll never go under center again.?

I don't remember us being under center but a handful of times in Mullen's 9 years. I personally don't understand why you wouldn't at least get a QB sneak in the playbook but a lot of coaches always run out of the shotgun now. It isn't just a Moorhead thing.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2019, 12:46 PM
To me the biggest question is/has been will Moorhead make significant changes to his game plan to address the issues pointed out in this thread....so far the answer is a resounding NO! So we now sit back and wait on Joe to recruit ‘his guys’....the ones that can run his devine offense. We are literally waiting for him to recruit the next Barkley and a top tier supporting cast....which won’t happen in our lifetimes...we win 6 in 2019

His offense was successful at other schools, not just Penn St. I am not saying you are wrong that his offense might not work here but it has worked other places. I am still not sold that it will work against SEC elite defenses but I am interested to see if it will work when a QB and WR can actually complete passes on the regular.

chef dixon
01-03-2019, 01:48 PM
But I thought we just needed to run the ball and we would win?

Scared_Hitless
01-03-2019, 02:19 PM
His offense was successful at other schools, not just Penn St. I am not saying you are wrong that his offense might not work here but it has worked other places. I am still not sold that it will work against SEC elite defenses but I am interested to see if it will work when a QB and WR can actually complete passes on the regular.

The thing is every team we played knew we couldnt complete a pass with regularity so they stacked the box. RPO works better when your Qb can hit the open seam route or the standard slant. KT may have the same issue as Fitz, time will tell.