PDA

View Full Version : On to basketball

Dawg61
01-02-2019, 01:48 PM
We are 12-1. First game in SEC is next Tuesday @ 5-8 USC. As of right now we are probably a 4/5 seed. It'll be really difficult to improve that.

smootness
01-02-2019, 01:52 PM
We have a good shot at being 16-1 headed to Rupp. I like our changes at winning 13 in SEC play. 25-6 (13-5) should be good for a top 4 seed.

Bully13
01-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Good feel good and realistic thread. I've got an extreme huge hard on for bulldog hoops. It's been a while since I've felt like dancing.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 02:54 PM
I think we'll dance but it won't be as easy as everyone on here thinks. We have some things we need to improve on.

Liverpooldawg
01-02-2019, 02:55 PM
I think we'll dance but it won't be as easy as everyone on here thinks. We have some things we need to improve on.

Yep.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2019, 03:42 PM

So does pretty much everyone in the SEC not name Tennessee

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 03:46 PM
So does pretty much everyone in the SEC not name Tennessee

So if I read this correctly ... most all our games are toss ups as opposed to sure wins (as most on this board are thinking). With exception of TN, which is a loss.

I haven't watched all the others to a large extent, I just see some things I think will cost us games if not corrected.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2019, 04:21 PM
So if I read this correctly ... most all our games are toss ups as opposed to sure wins (as most on this board are thinking). With exception of TN, which is a loss.

I haven't watched all the others to a large extent, I just see some things I think will cost us games if not corrected.

Not saying that at all. I'm saying pretty much all teams have things that they need to improve on. Ours are no more than any other Top 25 team. I think we're a 12-6/13-5 SEC team. We can't play around but I think this team is built for success.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Not saying that at all. I'm saying pretty much all teams have things that they need to improve on. Ours are no more than any other Top 25 team. I think we're a 12-6/13-5 SEC team. We can't play around but I think this team is built for success.

Can't argue that one. We just need to keep working and peak in mid-Feb/March timeframe. If we do that we might do ok.

smootness
01-02-2019, 04:36 PM

You think we'll have a fight to make the Tournament?

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 04:40 PM
You think we'll have a fight to make the Tournament?

I think we'll be ok to make tournament. We did well in pre-SEC slate so that will help a lot. Just saying we have some things to work on and all the "sure wins" everyone always like to predict (see this year's preseason football predictions) may not be as sure as many on here think.

Dawg61
01-02-2019, 05:07 PM
We'd have to finish below .500 in SEC play to miss the tourney. I don't see that happening. We go 9-9 in SEC play we'll probably get in as a 10/11 seed or play in game.

Dawg2003
01-02-2019, 05:48 PM
In think we'll go 12-6 in SEC play. It's bad luck that we have to play Auburn in Kentucky twice. I do think we could beat Auburn Kentucky once though. Auburn has shown some weaknesses, and we are a veteran team compared to Kentucky. We'll loose a few that we shouldn't because stuff happens.

chef dixon
01-02-2019, 05:54 PM
11-7 and a six seed

skadoosh14
01-02-2019, 08:57 PM
We are 12-1. First game in SEC is next Tuesday @ 5-8 USC. As of right now we are probably a 4/5 seed. It'll be really difficult to improve that.

We have a lot of depth. LP, arguably our second best player, didn't score against BYU and we still beat them by 20+ (would have been 30+ if not for garbage time points). That is saying a lot.

Big4Dawg
01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
11-7 and a six seed

I would 11-7 (23-8) would get us higher than 6th seed

RougeDawg
01-02-2019, 10:44 PM
We need to keep finding Perry more minutes to continue getting better. He himself and this team.

LC Dawg
01-03-2019, 12:07 AM
I wish this team had someone who was "the guy". Someone you can always count on when you HAVE to get points. Like a Daryl Wilson or Timmy Bowers. Q has his moments but he's a little too laid back to be the guy. I think Nick has it in him but I wonder if he doesn't become the alpha because he's playing with his older brother.
We've got a quality starting five and good players coming off the bench. I think we are the 4th best team in the league with a chance to move up a spot or two depending on the improvement of Perry, which I think will continue to happen, and also Woodard who has had a few nice games.

Dawg61
01-03-2019, 12:23 AM
I think Lamar can be that guy

StarkVegasSteve
01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
I wish this team had someone who was "the guy". Someone you can always count on when you HAVE to get points. Like a Daryl Wilson or Timmy Bowers. Q has his moments but he's a little too laid back to be the guy. I think Nick has it in him but I wonder if he doesn't become the alpha because he's playing with his older brother.
We've got a quality starting five and good players coming off the bench. I think we are the 4th best team in the league with a chance to move up a spot or two depending on the improvement of Perry, which I think will continue to happen, and also Woodard who has had a few nice games.

Q is that guy. He might look like he has a laid back demeanor, but you think he's having a bad game and you look up and he's got 15. Now, I'm not saying he's a Zimmerman who looked like he wanted to murder everyone who got in his way, but Q is our guy. If we're ever struggling to hit there's never a doubt who the ball is going to.

msudawg1200
01-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Good feel good and realistic thread. I've got an extreme huge hard on for bulldog hoops. It's been a while since I've felt like dancing.

I’m with you. I used to love it when our hoops team was a consistent NCAA Tourney team. March Madness is my favorite time of the year. We are entering spring out of the doldrums of winter. MLB is about to start. All the conference tourneys leading to Selection Sunday. Man what a great time of the year, but when the Hoop Dawgs are good it makes it so much more special.

the59dawg
01-03-2019, 05:46 PM
We need to keep finding Perry more minutes to continue getting better. He himself and this team.

Unfortunately his fouling is keeping him on bench for more minutes than less fouls would create. He usually has two fouls halfway thru H1. And he gets them quick.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2019, 07:11 PM

This team is going to go as Lamar Peters goes

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2019, 07:12 PM
I’m with you. I used to love it when our hoops team was a consistent NCAA Tourney team. March Madness is my favorite time of the year. We are entering spring out of the doldrums of winter. MLB is about to start. All the conference tourneys leading to Selection Sunday. Man what a great time of the year, but when the Hoop Dawgs are good it makes it so much more special.

And the turkeys are gobbling and the fish are biting plus the diamond dawgs are playing

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 06:54 AM

I'll monitor basketball....but......my mind is moving right on to baseball, which is my favorite MSU sport. I sure hope Lemonis can gitter done. I would hate to see him flop when all the players loved Hendo. BTW, I wonder what happened to Hendo? Anybody know? Hope he is happy with whatever he ends up doing. He was an outstanding representative of MSU.

Pit Bull
01-04-2019, 06:57 AM
We have a good shot at being 16-1 headed to Rupp. I like our changes at winning 13 in SEC play. 25-6 (13-5) should be good for a top 4 seed.

If we can just stop the early slow starts and digging the big holes, we should make the dance.

smootness
01-04-2019, 09:37 AM
If we can just stop the early slow starts and digging the big holes, we should make the dance.

If we just keep playing the way we have so far, we will easily make the dance.

msstate7
01-05-2019, 08:25 AM
When I was in Vegas in September, I bet state winning natty at 100-1. Today that's 50-1. Still long odds, but big drop

MetEdDawg
01-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Q is that guy. He might look like he has a laid back demeanor, but you think he's having a bad game and you look up and he's got 15. Now, I'm not saying he's a Zimmerman who looked like he wanted to murder everyone who got in his way, but Q is our guy. If we're ever struggling to hit there's never a doubt who the ball is going to.

This is true. Q has weird games. He gets a layup here, a put back here, baseline jumper there, and then you look up and he's the leading scorer. Happened just like that during the BYU game. He hit some baseline jumpers, a 3, couple put backs, and boom, he ends the game with 27 points.

This team will go as Holman goes, especially against our top tier competition. He's the X factor. He's the more athletic rim presence, he's the one that can stretch the defense, and he's the one that can win down low to collapse the defense and open up the outside shot. Bad games from him means we aren't getting as many rebounds and not stretching the defense.

msbulldog
01-05-2019, 02:37 PM
When I was in Vegas in September, I bet state winning natty at 100-1. Today that's 50-1. Still long odds, but big drop

Must be a lot of State folks laying that bet. I sincerely hope you get paid 7!

MarketingBully
01-05-2019, 03:08 PM
This is true. Q has weird games. He gets a layup here, a put back here, baseline jumper there, and then you look up and he's the leading scorer. Happened just like that during the BYU game. He hit some baseline jumpers, a 3, couple put backs, and boom, he ends the game with 27 points.

This team will go as Holman goes, especially against our top tier competition. He's the X factor. He's the more athletic rim presence, he's the one that can stretch the defense, and he's the one that can win down low to collapse the defense and open up the outside shot. Bad games from him means we aren't getting as many rebounds and not stretching the defense.

This team can go as any of our starting five goes (which is a great thing). Six of our eight can score at any place on the court. We have five players averaging double figures. Peters had zero points six assists and five turnovers against BYU and we won by 22. And as far as getting the ball to the guy, there are two guys we have that I have full confidence in taking the last shot Q and Holman.