PDA

View Full Version : Did Shoop buy Moorhead an extra year?

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 09:52 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday. Our defense was stacked with elite talent this year but the defensive coaching and scheme helped them build on last year and become greater. Without a solid defense this year I think we are more like 7-6 or even 6-7 on the year. If that would have happened I think Moorhead would get next year to correct things and then probably get canned.

With Shoop coaching lights-out I think Moorhead will get two more years. Next year will be a down year (maybe 6 or 7 wins) and that will be followed by the make or break year for Moorhead. Without Shoop I think next year would be the make or break year for Moorhead.

Gutter Cobreh
01-02-2019, 10:03 AM
To answer your question - No.

In your first paragraph, you state the defense was stacked with elite talent. The second paragraph you say that Shoop coached "lights out". While Shoop did a great job, the talent level helped.

The offense didn't have elite level talent. Moorhead inherited a 5th year senior QB that isn't accurate and wasn't going to get benched. He is a tough football player, but our offense was hamstrung by his inability to throw.

Get over it, Moorhead has at least two more seasons leading the football team.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 10:12 AM
To answer your question - No.

In your first paragraph, you state the defense was stacked with elite talent. The second paragraph you say that Shoop coached "lights out". While Shoop did a great job, the talent level helped.

The offense didn't have elite level talent. Moorhead inherited a 5th year senior QB that isn't accurate and wasn't going to get benched. He is a tough football player, but our offense was hamstrung by his inability to throw.

Get over it, Moorhead has at least two more seasons leading the football team.

Not sure why you got your panties in a wad over this. You basically agreed with me there at the end. I never said the offense had elite talent....but our offense did have talent that was underutilized or misused. Moorhead was billed as an offensive genius and that comes with expectations. What happened is that Moorhead seemed completely lost regarding how to use the athletic talent he inherited via scheme or personnel usage.

If you don't think Shoop coached up and schemed these guys to another level then you disagree with the majority of football analysts and about every metric out there. I'm not sure what I have to get over....

whosyourdawgy
01-02-2019, 10:15 AM
No. You think we would fire a first year head coach after one season that went to the Outback Bowl? Come on

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 10:20 AM
No. You think we would fire a first year head coach after one season that went to the Outback Bowl? Come on

I don't think you even read my original post. I said nothing about firing Moorhead this year. Jesus people...try to read and comprehend. PLEASE read the original post and not just the headline. oh my god.....

basedog
01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Gotta give Joe a few years to see what his recruiting looks like. On paper it looks decent so far.

Gutter Cobreh
01-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Not sure why you got your panties in a wad over this. You basically agreed with me there at the end. I never said the offense had elite talent....but our offense did have talent that was underutilized or misused. Moorhead was billed as an offensive genius and that comes with expectations. What happened is that Moorhead seemed completely lost regarding how to use the athletic talent he inherited via scheme or personnel usage.

If you don't think Shoop coached up and schemed these guys to another level then you disagree with the majority of football analysts and about every metric out there. I'm not sure what I have to get over....

To simplify things for you - No, next year is not make or break for Moorhead. The year following, maybe.

Please try and comprehend that he was put in a situation where he had a 5th year QB who had made a name with his legs. He couldn't bench said QB due to his experience, so he made the best of what he had. In the following years, we'll see what he is made of. As Basedog stated, he needs time to get his players in the system and see what happens. When that happens, it may be a complete failure.

Recruiting Rankings:
2019 - 19th (isn't official yet)
2018 - 27th
2017 - 24th
2016 - 28th
2015 - 18th

We need to see how this cycle finishes and what he can do in recruiting next year to replenish the talent. As you can see from the stats above, there was a drop off after 2015. I'm more interested at how the coaching staff fills all position needs, as opposed to pockets of depth that Mullen always ended up with.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 11:40 AM
To simplify things for you - No, next year is not make or break for Moorhead. The year following, maybe.

Which is literally what I said in my first post. Nevermind, the question was too complicated. Carry on, everyone.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Please try and comprehend that he was put in a situation where he had a 5th year QB who had made a name with his legs. He couldn't bench said QB due to his experience, so he made the best of what he had. In the following years, we'll see what he is made of. As Basedog stated, he needs time to get his players in the system and see what happens. When that happens, it may be a complete failure.

Recruiting Rankings:
2019 - 19th (isn't official yet) - 18
2018 - 27th - 8
2017 - 24th - 8
2016 - 28th - 11
2015 - 18th - 8

We need to see how this cycle finishes and what he can do in recruiting next year to replenish the talent. As you can see from the stats above, there was a drop off after 2015. I'm more interested at how the coaching staff fills all position needs, as opposed to pockets of depth that Mullen always ended up with.

I'd be careful translating this recruiting bump into the future. I added the number of players in-state that were rated 88+. In 2020, it's back to 8 players

Jack Lambert
01-02-2019, 11:48 AM
I think He needs time to get his talent in to run his offense. While sitting and cooking in the 86 degree yesterday I was piss at some of the play calls but he needs time. Mullen pissed me off too.

MaroonFlounder
01-02-2019, 11:52 AM
I'm just as mad at Shoop. #52 was still in the game on the next play after the throat slash. Shoop should override that shit. #52 would be off of the team if it was up to me. The throat slash gesture has been a 15-yard penalty on all levels of football for 20 years now.

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Moorhead will get his 4 years minimum regardless. Let's fully support him at this point and see how things go. I believe Moorhead and staff will recruit better overall than Mullen and staff but at this point I'm thinking JoMo and crew may have to recruit better just to get equal results with what we got with Mullen. The team this year had better talent overall than an 8-5 record so overall it was a disappointing year based on expectations. Next year I will probably be quite happy to go 8-5. Won't fully buy into the Moorhead offense though until I see it have some level of success against a defense with a pulse. Even yesterday we scored 2 TDs and one of those drives started at the Iowa 5 and one started at the Iowa 33. Other than that we only managed 3 FGs one of which coming when we couldn't get the ball in the end zone from 1st and goal at the one yard line.

Gutter Cobreh
01-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Which is literally what I said in my first post. Nevermind, the question was too complicated. Carry on, everyone.

"With Shoop coaching lights-out I think Moorhead will get two more years. Next year will be a down year (maybe 6 or 7 wins) and that will be followed by the make or break year for Moorhead. Without Shoop I think next year would be the make or break year for Moorhead."

You're right. You did say that. My apologies. The last paragraph unfortunately wasn't written in a way that I initially followed you, as you put emphasis on it being with or without Shoop - which is confusing (or to me at least with my MS edumacation)...

Liverpooldawg
01-02-2019, 02:22 PM
We weren't going to fire Moorhead after one year. We certainly aren't going to fire him after him becoming just the second MSU coach to go bowling in his first year. I never did get the "best team ever" and "most talented team ever" stuff. We have a very good defense, but we have had at least one better, maybe two. Those two were also loaded with talent. Our offense was FAR from our best one and some of us tried to point that out early on and even before the season. We had an above average (not much above average) line, above average running backs, an outstanding running quarterback who was well below average as a passer, and inexperienced, young receivers. You can win 7-8 games like that, but that's about it. If a team stopped the run, we couldn't score. We did about what we should have. The 4 regular season losses will probabaly all be to teams in the top 10 at the end of the year. Iowa will be ranked. That's pretty good for a team that can't pass.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 02:25 PM
I think He needs time to get his talent in to run his offense. While sitting and cooking in the 86 degree yesterday I was piss at some of the play calls but he needs time. Mullen pissed me off too.

All the time. Well, maybe not all of it, but very often.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
I'm just as mad at Shoop. #52 was still in the game on the next play after the throat slash. Shoop should override that shit. #52 would be off of the team if it was up to me. The throat slash gesture has been a 15-yard penalty on all levels of football for 20 years now.

"Off the team" is a little strong. Sat down for a series or maybe even the rest of game, maybe so. Joe preaches playing with emotion without being emotional. He needs to emphasize that more IMO, cause we didn't always do that this year.