PDA

View Full Version : Outback Bowl: Iowa.Perspective

Hawkeyegoofball
01-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Ok. Back in the hotel room in Tampa.

You guys really let this one get away. Sorry about that. But, it happens.

You got Iowa'd.

There's nothing fancy with what they do - but when the matchup is right they will trick your eyes. And they did.

I ws completely surprised at the outcome.

I had Iowa losing 13-10.

Can't believe Iowa scored that many against such a stellar defense. But they pulled your guys in on the play action. Which is what they do. All the time.

Two perfect passes not caught we're brutal for you. But, that kid has to learn how to take some speed off.his fastball.

But, to be honest, MSU played into Iowa's hand.

Certainly the Hawkeyes play to win, but more than that they play to be close in 4Q. And then we'll figure it out

And, as a veteran team in terms of coaching, they make good in-game adjusments.

Don' give up on Moorhead just yet. He's good. Just needs time.

Peace and thanks for being great people.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Enjoyed your posts and insight on your team. It's been tough being a State fan most of my life. We should have had a better year. We have certainly lived through worse, but really had high expectations this year. God Bless you and yours.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 10:21 PM
As I said we go as Fitz goes. He was bad today. Take nothing away from Iowa but if he is completing passes and not turning the ball over we typically win against anyone not named Alabama. And usually when our defense gives up points it is off of turnovers on a short field- see today.

klong-dog
01-01-2019, 10:50 PM
Our D gave up less than 200 & 40% of that came on one play. You were who we thought you were. Nothing flashy, fundamentally sound. We just screwed ourselves over and over again. 0 penalties, very impressive! It was like playing Bama all over again.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Enjoyed your posts and insight on your team. It's been tough being a State fan most of my life. We should have had a better year. We have certainly lived through worse, but really had high expectations this year. God Bless you and yours.

First, best to yours as well.

Sincerely.

And, secondly, I truly appreciate the very kind comments. Very thoughtful and nice.

Third and final, it's tough when you sit in the middle of the pack.

We're both there. Iowa and MSU.

It can be frustrating. We rise up and then slip down, always knowing that there is one,
two or three bigger dogs on the trail.

But, the thing is, it's always about the fight. So you really have to embrace that side of it.

We can't become Ohio State or Alabama - but we can catch 'em when the time is right.

And then we go from there.

Rise up MSU.

Mobile Bay
01-01-2019, 11:10 PM
The referees gave you the game and I hope you choke on it.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Sincerely.

And, secondly, I truly appreciate THE kind comments. Very thoughtful and nice.

It ca be frustrating. We rise up and then slip down, always knowing that there I some, two or three bigger dogs on the trail.

But, the thing is, it' always about the fight.

We can't become Ohio State or Alabama - but web can catch 'em when the time is right.

Rise up MSU.

Pollodawg
01-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Sincerely.

And, secondly, I truly appreciate the very kind comments. Very thoughtful and nice.

It can be frustrating. We rise up and then slip down, always knowing that there is one,
two or three bigger dogs on the trail.

But, the thing is, it's always about the fight. So you really have to embrace that side of it.

We can't become Ohio State or Alabama - but we can catch 'em when the time is right.

Rise up MSU.

Truth.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-01-2019, 11:31 PM

Sincerely.

And, secondly, I truly appreciate THE kind comments. Very thoughtful and nice.

It ca be frustrating. We rise up and then slip down, always knowing that there I some, two or three bigger dogs on the trail.

But, the thing is, it' always about the fight.

We can't become Ohio State or Alabama - but web can catch 'em when the time is right.

Rise up MSU.

Hot Rock
01-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Don't know what happened but my post got deleted. Did you start it over or was I censored. Let's try this again:

Moorhead did not have this team properly prepared. It wasn't just this game either, it's a pattern.

That penalty for throat slash is a symptom of a larger disease. No freaking way should that ever happen, ever!!!

Eight penalties, dropped passes, three slow developing QB reads from the one, timeouts called because a turnover, substitution penalties .. this team just was not ready.

Thing is, that's who we are under Moorhead. This is his first year, and I will be supporting him next year but the dude better get his shit together or he won't last.

Oh, we were right about that defense. Minus 15 yards rushing. They good, but just not good enough to overcome our other issues.

I was worried this might happen and it did. Congrats, I guess.

Now, let's see if this post sticks.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Respectfully disagree.

Iowa is a clean, disciplined team.

We've covered that.

I can think of two or three plays that Iowa could \ should have.been flagged on.

But that's it

They played a fairly clean game.

in all fairness, MSU played sloppy on D at times, which was the difference in the game.

And the O holding calls we're no brainers.

Peace.

TUSK
01-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Respectfully disagree.

Iowa is a clean, disciplined team.

We've covered that.

I can think of two or three plays that Iowa could \ should have.been flagged on.

But that's it

They played a fairly clean game.

in all fairness, MSU played sloppy on D at times, which was the difference in the game.

Peace.

Hey, can you wait til February to cash the REC check?

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Hey, can you wait til February to cash the REC check?

Does bama ask them to wait b4 you guys pay off?*****

TUSK
01-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Does bama ask them to wait b4 you guys pay off?*****

Gold, I can't even keep up, anymore... with all the offshore companies we wash this money through...*

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 12:08 AM
Wow, these Ga/Tx officials could have never called our game against Iowa today! They have called penalties on both teams.

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 12:12 AM
I don't think a QB should be able to slide and should be treated just like a RB after they choose to run and cross the line of scrimmage, NFL and college. As the real Jack Lambert said years ago, "Just put a dress on them".

Jarius
01-02-2019, 12:21 AM

What a trash take. We got beat because we played like an undisciplined, cocky bunch of assholes and they played like a well coached football team. Throat slashes, personal fouls, holding because their ends were kicking our tackles’ asses all day. They beat us, not the officials.

TimberBeast
01-02-2019, 12:46 AM
What a trash take. We got beat because we played like an undisciplined, cocky bunch of assholes and they played like a well coached football team. Throat slashes, personal fouls, holding because their ends were kicking our tackles’ asses all day. They beat us, not the officials.

We did for sure, but the refs didn’t call the game straight up. That’s what will end up ruining the college game. It’s a big problem.

Apoplectic
01-02-2019, 12:49 AM

ignorant and clueless

TUSK
01-02-2019, 12:49 AM
What a trash take. We got beat because we played like an undisciplined, cocky bunch of assholes and they played like a well coached football team. Throat slashes, personal fouls, holding because their ends were kicking our tackles? asses all day. They beat us, not the officials.

Dude.... "Personal Responsibility" isn't PC, Bro...

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/characters/adults/education-pc-principal.png

Jarius
01-02-2019, 12:51 AM
They missed a few calls but we lost the game because of how we played. It had almost zero to do with the officiating. The calls they made on us were legit penalties. They were not phantom calls. Iowa held our DL, just like everyone does. They certainly should have been called for at least a few penalties. That had very little impact on our game though.

TimberBeast
01-02-2019, 12:57 AM
They missed a few calls but we lost the game because of how we played. It had almost zero to do with the officiating. The calls they made on us were legit penalties. They were not phantom calls. Iowa held our DL, just like everyone does. They certainly should have been called for at least a few penalties. That had very little impact on our game though.

True we did a lot of it ourselves, but you can’t just dismiss zero penalties when there several holds missed, especially in a tight game. Just one of those missed calls could change the outcome. It has to be fixed but it won’t be.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 01:07 AM

They got away with a big time hold on 4th and 1 where their OL was holding the hell out of our guy who would have tackled their QB for a loss and was the big reason the QB got the first down. And oh btw, they scored a TD there which changed the outcome of the game. They got away with 6-7 holds that were exactly like Champion’s hold. I know you don’t call every hold but if you are going to call that hold on Champion you sure as shit better call the same hold on the other team.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 01:08 AM
True we did a lot of it ourselves, but you can’t just dismiss zero penalties when there several holds missed, especially in a tight game. Just one of those missed calls could change the outcome. It has to be fixed but it won’t be.

Like the hold on 4th and 1?

TUSK
01-02-2019, 03:09 AM

Hate to break it to you, buddy, but the last REC/NWO/Illuminati meeting that I attended was in Helsinki, Finland...

I saw a minimum of 3 license plates from Iowa....

And I didn't even know that they made Amphibious vehicles in Iowa....

Jarius
01-02-2019, 03:14 AM
They got away with a big time hold on 4th and 1 where their OL was holding the hell out of our guy who would have tackled their QB for a loss and was the big reason the QB got the first down. And oh btw, they scored a TD there which changed the outcome of the game. They got away with 6-7 holds that were exactly like Champion’s hold. I know you don’t call every hold but if you are going to call that hold on Champion you sure as shit better call the same hold on the other team.

I can’t imagine watching that game and the first thing coming to my mind as a state fan being “the officials screwed us!”....I’m so upset at the terrible way our coaching staff prepares our players for games I can’t think about anything else.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:44 AM
I can’t imagine watching that game and the first thing coming to my mind as a state fan being “the officials screwed us!”....I’m so upset at the terrible way our coaching staff prepares our players for games I can’t think about anything else.

There is no question it wasn't called evenly on both sides. Is it why we lost? Probably not.

Theiacowtipper
01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
As an Iowa fan, I enjoyed coming here and reading your guys take. Pre and post game. As CID posted, you got Iowa’d. They ugly a game up and win at the end.

On the officials, if you go to any teams boards after a loss, it’s a rare event you won’t see blame on the officials. That’s the way it works.

tcdog70
01-02-2019, 10:55 AM
the only way to block Simmons is to hold Him--they did for sure on pass pro--Refs failed to call it. The held on the fourth and 1 they--held on the last TD pass--clearly for the whole world to see--no call. 90 yards on 1 team --zero on the other---kinda looks suspicious. The pass Interference was a shitty call. how do you get a targeting penalty when the guy runs for 15 more yards? Yes their helmets glanced together-but shit, come on man.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 11:08 AM
As an Iowa fan, I enjoyed coming here and reading your guys take. Pre and post game. As CID posted, you got Iowa’d. They ugly a game up and win at the end.

On the officials, if you go to any teams boards after a loss, it’s a rare event you won’t see blame on the officials. That’s the way it works.

You had zero penalties called on you. Come on.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Understand your frustration on the wide disparity on penalties called relative to both teams.

From Iowa's side, one could make a pretty strong argument that Epenesa (#94) strip sacked Fitz early in the game, and a ball that Iowa covered up. They called it an incomplete pass on the field, reviewed it and sustained the call.

Oh well. Move on. Next play.

Iowa didn't hire this crew or pay for them to fly to the game and/or set them up in their hotel.

This Pac 10 crew was decent but not great. Plenty of missed calls and that's part of the human element of the game. I can think of 2 or 3 fairly obvious penalties that Iowa committed and the stripes missed, at least from my seat in the stadium. Maybe more if I can review the film.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Understand your frustration on the wide disparity on penalties called relative to both teams.

From Iowa's side, one could make a pretty strong argument that Epenesa (#94) strip sacked Fitz early in the game, and a ball that Iowa covered up. They called it an incomplete pass on the field, reviewed it and sustained the call.

Oh well. Move on. Next play.

Iowa didn't hire this crew or pay for them to fly to the game and/or set them up in their hotel.

This Pac 10 crew was decent but not great. Plenty of missed calls and that's part of the human element of the game. I can think of 2 or 3 fairly obvious penalties that Iowa committed and the stripes missed, at least from my seat in the stadium. Maybe more if I can review the film.

The strip sack was called correctly as an incomplete pass. Fitz arm was coming forward which is how they decide it. The DE did knock it out of his hand but Fitz was about to release the ball. That was the correct call. The hold on our Oline that brought the ball back from the 1 yard line was complete BS. Oline get a hand full of jersey inside the shoulder pads on every single play. That was a huge swing of momentum. The targeting call on our DB also changed the momentum some since we lost our 3 DB. The targeting call was very weak. I know tackling is taught differently now but Smitherman was tackling actually how I was taught. Get your head on their outside and put your shoulder into them. The guy moving had his facemask barely glanced. There was zero intent and it was a bullshit call. Nothing on Iowa there but it just shows how shitty the refs were.

On the flip side, when our RB got hit, it was a lot closer to an actual targeting call but no flag on Iowa. I think most people are more pissed at the refs for missing the blatant calls like that or the hold on Abram on one of the TDs. Everyone knows holding could be called at the line of scrimmage every play but when it is in the open field then it makes it more obvious.

Iowa did what they had to do to win and made plays when it had to be done but the refs did call it Iowa's way. It doesn't mean they stole the game from MSU but it did benefit Iowa. I am sure rewatching the tape you could find more penalties on both teams but most of the obvious ones that were not called were probably on Iowa.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 01:25 PM
The strip sack was called correctly as an incomplete pass. Fitz arm was coming forward which is how they decide it. The DE did knock it out of his hand but Fitz was about to release the ball. That was the correct call. The hold on our Oline that brought the ball back from the 1 yard line was complete BS. Oline get a hand full of jersey inside the shoulder pads on every single play. That was a huge swing of momentum. The targeting call on our DB also changed the momentum some since we lost our 3 DB. The targeting call was very weak. I know tackling is taught differently now but Smitherman was tackling actually how I was taught. Get your head on their outside and put your shoulder into them. The guy moving had his facemask barely glanced. There was zero intent and it was a bullshit call. Nothing on Iowa there but it just shows how shitty the refs were.

On the flip side, when our RB got hit, it was a lot closer to an actual targeting call but no flag on Iowa. I think most people are more pissed at the refs for missing the blatant calls like that or the hold on Abram on one of the TDs. Everyone knows holding could be called at the line of scrimmage every play but when it is in the open field then it makes it more obvious.

Iowa did what they had to do to win and made plays when it had to be done but the refs did call it Iowa's way. It doesn't mean they stole the game from MSU but it did benefit Iowa. I am sure rewatching the tape you could find more penalties on both teams but most of the obvious ones that were not called were probably on Iowa.

I get your points.

I make no argument on the potential strip sack. They called the way they they called it and we move on...that's the main point.

I do, however, disagree with you on the holding call when MSU moved a good distanceand was called back. That was a classic holding call, easy to make and you'd be derelict if you didn't call it. It not nearly as much about hand placement inside or outside - but more about the offensive player grabbing and not disengaging at the right time as the opponent is moving. You typically get 1 to 1.5 seconds on a hold and can get away with it - but if you impeded the player on a grab/hold longer than that then you will likely get called for it. That hold was obvious from the stands.

And, when you go through spring and fall practices and bring officials in, they really work with the players and coaches to let them know what they're going to call/emphasize and why. It's actually pretty fun and educational to have them there. You don't necessarily want to know what you can get away with as much as you're learning what they (officials) are looking for and what makes them throw the hankie on judgement calls.

On Hill, the RB who got knocked silly, from where I sat the Iowa player (second contact, not initial as he was lower into the tackle) was upright and lowering his shoulder and head to make a formed tackle. Hill forced the contact to the Iowa player.

I know it can be tough to digest, but you can't call targeting just because a player absorbed a violent hit that he initiated.

Peace.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 01:35 PM
I get your points.

I make no argument on the potential strip sack. They called the way they they called it and we move on...that's the main point.

I do, however, disagree with you on the holding call when MSU moved the ball to the 1 and was called back. That was a classic holding call, easy to make and you'd be derelict if you didn't call it. It not nearly as much about hand placement inside or outside - but more about the offensive player grabbing and not disengaging at the right time as the opponent is moving. You typically get 1 to 1.5 seconds on a hold and can get away with it - but if you impeded the player on a grab/hold longer than that then you will likely get called for it. That hold was obvious from the stands.

On Hill, the RB who got knocked silly, from where I sat the Iowa player (second contact, not initial as he was lower into the tackle) was upright and lowering his shoulder and head to make a formed tackle. Hill forced the contact to the Iowa player.

I know it can be tough to digest, but you can't call targeting just because a player absorbed a violent hit that he initiated.

Peace.

That was a hold no doubt IMO. I'm not blaming refs but I did see Abram get tackled by your WR on one of the TDs. Targeting should've been called on DB that made Kylin wobbly after the fact too. There were a couple of times when I thought we were playing Bama instead of Iowa due to the lack of calls against you. But I will say all the calls against us I saw were legit ... targeting was a little weak IMO tho. But the disparity in calls aren't what kept us from winning the game.

Y'all deserve credit. You showed up and overall played better and won the game. Congrats.

IowaFan
01-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Are people insinuating that the zero penalties for Iowa was some sort of conspiracy?
And, if they refs didn't really see anything, should they start throwing flags because it wasn't fair?

DownwardDawg
01-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Ok. Back in the hotel room in Tampa.

You guys really let this one get away. Sorry about that. But, it happens.

You got Iowa'd.

There's nothing fancy with what they do - but when the matchup is right they will trick your eyes. And they did.

I ws completely surprised at the outcome.

I had Iowa losing 13-10.

Can't believe Iowa scored that many against such a stellar defense. But they pulled your guys in on the play action. Which is what they do. All the time.

Two perfect passes not caught we're brutal for you. But, that kid has to learn how to take some speed off.his fastball.

But, to be honest, MSU played into Iowa's hand.

Certainly the Hawkeyes play to win, but more than that they play to be close in 4Q. And then we'll figure it out

And, as a veteran team in terms of coaching, they make good in-game adjusments.

Don' give up on Moorhead just yet. He's good. Just needs time.

Peace and thanks for being great people.

Will you take me deer hunting in Iowa? 😎

Saltydog
01-02-2019, 02:03 PM
damn well know with a D line like ours the other team is going to hold.....They have too......

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 02:22 PM
I get your points.

I do, however, disagree with you on the holding call when MSU moved a good distanceand was called back. That was a classic holding call, easy to make and you'd be derelict if you didn't call it. It not nearly as much about hand placement inside or outside - but more about the offensive player grabbing and not disengaging at the right time as the opponent is moving. You typically get 1 to 1.5 seconds on a hold and can get away with it - but if you impeded the player on a grab/hold longer than that then you will likely get called for it. That hold was obvious from the stands.

And, when you go through spring and fall practices and bring officials in, they really work with the players and coaches to let them know what they're going to call/emphasize and why. It's actually pretty fun and educational to have them there. You don't necessarily want to know what you can get away with as much as you're learning what they (officials) are looking for and what makes them throw the hankie on judgement calls.

Peace.

I didn't have a problem with them calling a holding call on our Oline but you are blind if you didn't see Jeffrey Simmons getting that same treatment on almost every play. You either call it or don't but our Dline was wreaking that Oline with no single holding call.

My problem with the non call on the targeting on our RB is exactly the same. Our DB was flagged for pretty much the same thing but it didn't go both ways.

At the end of the day, the penalties didn't lose the game. Iowa made the plays when they had to and that is the difference. I think we lost it on two series. Not scoring a TD from the 1 and our WR batting up a TD catch into the air for an opportunistic Iowa defense to get the interception. If we make either of those plays then I think it changes the outcome. That was also a great play on the interception on the screen pass.

MSU just didn't make enough great plays at the end of the day.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 02:41 PM
That was a hold no doubt IMO. I'm not blaming refs but I did see Abram get tackled by your WR on one of the TDs. Targeting should've been called on DB that made Kylin wobbly after the fact too. There were a couple of times when I thought we were playing Bama instead of Iowa due to the lack of calls against you. But I will say all the calls against us I saw were legit ... targeting was a little weak IMO tho. But the disparity in calls aren't what kept us from winning the game.

Y'all deserve credit. You showed up and overall played better and won the game. Congrats.

I understand where you're coming from. I've certainly played and cheered in games where I thought and truly believed there were missed calls that should have gone our way. Very frustrating to go through.

The first 20 minutes of the game was what I expected in terms of the feeling out period, and then things escalated quickly from there.

I happened to sit on the MSU side of the field, saw them warm up, and thought they were really really ready.

In hindsight, MSU was probably too jacked up, because they made some really stupid mistakes for a game and opponent like this. That's on the coaches - feel the vibe and make certain the players are in control.

You're probably shaking your head and trying to figure out how an Iowa team that has 199 yards of total offense (-15 rushing) can beat you.

Well, the honest answer is that MSU beat MSU more than Iowa beat MSU.

But certainly, Iowa came to play, and played hard.

The first Iowa TD was classic Iowa and to be expected - keep working the run, move the TE inside (backfield) and release him on a route opposite of the play - and, of course, he was double covered with a nickle back and safety. Abrahm had responsibility for the slot receiver (Easley) but got his eyes caught up in a pretty weak play action fake - but it was too late. 15 yards of separation and a skinny white kid running down the field with the ball and trying to keep his helmet from falling off as he moved to the end zone. There also seemed to be miscommunication on MSUs defense on that play. And, Iowa ran it on a 1st down to break tendencies.

I think MSU showed up to play - but they got too loose and made critical, critical errors.

Kudos to the Bulldogs - they have an excellent, excellent defense.

Very entertaining and gut-wrenching game.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Will you take me deer hunting in Iowa? ��

You bet.

Bow or shotgun?

I have a few hundred acres of timber and deer stands set up.

Ready whenever you are.

:)

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 02:50 PM
damn well know with a D line like ours the other team is going to hold.....They have too......

Can't disagree with you on that. Simmons and Sweat are beasts.

Only thing I would say is that it looked like Iowa released the hold in time so as to avoid the penalty. They're pretty smart up front, and Kirk Ferentz is an O Line guru.

But, I haven't watched the film

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 02:56 PM
I understand where you're coming from. I've certainly played and cheered in games where I thought and truly believed there were missed calls that should have gone our way. Very frustrating to go through.

The first 20 minutes of the game was what I expected in terms of the feeling out period, and then things escalated quickly from there.

I happened to sit on the MSU side of the field, saw them warm up, and thought they were really really ready.

In hindsight, MSU was probably too jacked up, because they made some really stupid mistakes for a game and opponent like this. That's on the coaches - feel the vibe and make certain the players are in control.

You're probably shaking your head and trying to figure out how an Iowa team that has 199 yards of total offense (-15 rushing) can beat you.

Well, the honest answer is that MSU beat MSU more than Iowa beat MSU.

But certainly, Iowa came to play, and played hard.

The first Iowa TD was classic Iowa and to be expected - keep working the run, move the TE inside (backfield) and release him on a route opposite of the play - and, of course, he was double covered with a nickle back and safety. Abrahm had responsibility for the slot receiver (Easley) but got his eyes caught up in a pretty weak play action fake - but it was too late. 15 yards of separation and a skinny white kid running down the field with the ball and trying to keep his helmet from falling off as he moved to the end zone. There also seemed to be miscommunication on MSUs defense on that play. And, Iowa ran it on a 1st down to break tendencies.

I think MSU showed up to play - but they got too loose and made critical, critical errors.

Kudos to the Bulldogs - they have an excellent, excellent defense.

Very entertaining and gut-wrenching game.

I wouldn't necessarily say MSU beat themselves. Iowa simply made the plays they had to make and MSU did not. The goal line stand is exactly what I am talking about. MSU WR doesn't keep his feet or lunge for the endzone. Iowa DB never gave up and made a shoe string tackle. Then Iowa simply shut Fitz down because they probably studied film and knew Fitz would call his own number every time given the chance. That is exactly how the game went. MSU probably had more overall talent but that doesn't always matter.

Recreationalgynecologist
01-02-2019, 03:54 PM
It would be interesting to see how Iowa's passing game would have been with their best playmaker on the field. Too bad he sat this game out.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 04:02 PM
It would be interesting to see how Iowa's passing game would have been with their best playmaker on the field. Too bad he sat this game out.

It certainly would have shifted things a bit, having Fant on the field, but I think Iowa did a nice job scheming Hockenson and played to his strength as an in-line/blocking TE.

MSU bracketed him on downfield routes most of the day - which opened us Easley and other receivers.

So, Iowa decoyed him until 4Q.

Was the first time Hockenson has had to play the role of primary TE. So, now he knows how it feels and perhaps has a better understanding of what he needs to work on.

Iowa had to be very smart in this game against this team. And they were.

RocketDawg
01-02-2019, 04:06 PM

I suppose to get 100% effort from both teams, it would have to be a regular season game; either that, or a playoff or really major bowl. Remember when Colt McCoy left the national championship game with Alabama, and it appeared to be because his father didn't want him hurt and ruin his NFL career? Also, sometimes elite players don't give total effort in their senior year for fear of getting a disabling injury. Can't blame them in a way, and certainly can't blame the guys who sit out a bowl game, but it would be nice to see them give it their all. But millions may be on the line. Simmons is one of the few that went all the way, and it worked out fine for him.

Theiacowtipper
01-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Sure. We have a farm outside of Farmington Iowa. Come up this fall.

Theiacowtipper
01-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Do you seriously believe that these referees decided to job your team? Seriously? Iowa played Florida a number of years back and got absolutely destroyed by the refs. It happens. I saw a post on here about the 4th and 1 run by Stanley. There was no hold on that play. None. Same thing with the WR block on the last TD by Iowa. The receiver squared him up and knocked him on his butt. That?s not a hold.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 04:37 PM
I suppose to get 100% effort from both teams, it would have to be a regular season game; either that, or a playoff or really major bowl. Remember when Colt McCoy left the national championship game with Alabama, and it appeared to be because his father didn't want him hurt and ruin his NFL career? Also, sometimes elite players don't give total effort in their senior year for fear of getting a disabling injury. Can't blame them in a way, and certainly can't blame the guys who sit out a bowl game, but it would be nice to see them give it their all. But millions may be on the line. Simmons is one of the few that went all the way, and it worked out fine for him.

I understand sitting out a bowl game but where does it end? Do you sit out the last few games of your rookie deal because you are about to be a free agent? Bell just sat an entire year and it screwed the Steelers. If I am a team then I probably give a slight edge to someone like Simmons who put it on the line for his team the entire time.

Mutt the Hoople
01-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Well, when our players keep yapping all through the game, making throat-slashes, etc. what do you expect the PAC-12 refs to do? Those guys hate the SEC as badly as the Big 10 people do, and all we did was add fuel to the fire.

JoMo should've talked to the players before the game and told them, because he came from the Big 10, that those refs aren't gonna tolerate extracurricular activity.

BTW, the Big 10 confines their dirty work to molesting little boys, raping gymnasts, and coaches beating their wives.

IowaFan
01-02-2019, 05:17 PM
BTW, the Big 10 confines their dirty work to molesting little boys, raping gymnasts, and coaches beating their wives.

HELLO!

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Well, when our players keep yapping all through the game, making throat-slashes, etc. what do you expect the PAC-12 refs to do? Those guys hate the SEC as badly as the Big 10 people do, and all we did was add fuel to the fire.

JoMo should've talked to the players before the game and told them, because he came from the Big 10, that those refs aren't gonna tolerate extracurricular activity.

That actually happened while he was at Florida I believe.