PDA

View Full Version : 2019 QB thread

chef dixon
01-01-2019, 07:39 PM
So who's it going to be?

I think its clear Moorhead is doing everything possible to make sure its not KT. I also see no indication that it would be Mayden. Are we going to be going after a transfer until we get one? For some reason, I would still probably bet KT takes our first snap next year.

Matt3467
01-01-2019, 07:50 PM
My gut says if no transfer then it's Schrader. Moorheads insistence on grabbing a transfer and his seemingly lackluster approach to Thompson and Mayden tells me he will go to whatever lengths necessary to ensure neither of those two are starting at QB for MSU. I think Mayden/Thompson would make amazing Mullen QBs and I was very excited to see what Mullen could do with them, but now that he's gone they don't fit the mold of what we are now. I'm actually excited to see Schrader, a Moorhead guy, even though it could be a rough first year I need to see what this Moorhead offense can be.

dawgs
01-01-2019, 07:52 PM
True freshmen start at good P5 programs every year. If shrader grasps the offense, his passing skills appear superior, so Moorhead may just give him the keys and go. I do think shrader is the guy that'll determine if Moorhead has a successful run at state or if he is an offensive analyst at bama in 3 years.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
My gut says if no transfer then it's Schrader. Moorheads insistence on grabbing a transfer and his seemingly lackluster approach to Thompson and Mayden tells me he will go to whatever lengths necessary to ensure neither of those two are starting at QB for MSU. I think Mayden/Thompson would make amazing Mullen QBs and I was very excited to see what Mullen could do with them, but now that he's gone they don't fit the mold of what we are now. I'm actually excited to see Schrader, a Moorhead guy, even though it could be a rough first year I need to see what this Moorhead offense can be.
Schrader isn't ready to be a starting qb in this league.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 07:57 PM
True freshmen start at good P5 programs every year. If shrader grasps the offense, his passing skills appear superior, so Moorhead may just give him the keys and go. I do think shrader is the guy that'll determine if Moorhead has a successful run at state or if he is an offensive analyst at bama in 3 years.

Good ones?? Who. Where ? Fromm did last year..... keep going....

bluelightstar
01-01-2019, 08:01 PM
If it’s not KT, we are going 4-8 and Moorhead is done. That may be the case even with KT unless he’s a big improvement over Fitzgerald.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Tua played last year. Lawrence this year. Surely he's as good as those guys

Hambone
01-01-2019, 08:03 PM
If Moorhead is fired after next year we deserve the journey into the wilderness that will follow.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 08:04 PM
If Moorhead is fired after next year we deserve the journey into the wilderness that will follow.
What if we go 2-10? I don't think we will... just wondering if that would be grounds in your mind

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 08:08 PM
I think it will be between Key and Shrader and my guess is that Shrader will take over or win the job outright. And it's not because I think Shrader is the real deal or awesome. It's because he fits the offense better. And it worries me because he is a true freshman and he won't really be ready. At least he went through some bowl prep and will be here in the spring.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 08:11 PM
I think it's going to be Schrader & think we are all going to be surprised at 1. How much he knows the offense & 2. He's athletic enough to at worst do what Fitz did this year. Schrader is faster than Fitz.

Don't underestimate that Moorhead got HIS GUY with Schrader. He got the first offer he handed out when he got to MSU & he got a guy that he's been recruiting since he was a sophomore in HS.

What we don't know about Schrader is how well he already knows this offense. Is it possible that kid that has been recruited by Moorhead since he was a SO in HS & who has been attending Moorhead camps since then would know a ton about this offense already?

How do we know that Schrader isn't ALREADY ahead of the other two QBs in terms of knowing this offense?

Something to think about.

The trick for Moorhead will be to keep the other two QBs from transferring before the 5th game next season while also being convicted in a starter rather than pulling a Mullen & losing to South Alabama because he couldn't decided between Fitz & Williams

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 08:12 PM

KT also played last year late in the year & did well. From all accounts, Schrader is more polished than KT

DLGDawg
01-01-2019, 08:13 PM
So who's it going to be?

I think its clear Moorhead is doing everything possible to make sure its not KT. I also see no indication that it would be Mayden. Are we going to be going after a transfer until we get one? For some reason, I would still probably bet KT takes our first snap next year.

My hope is that after approximately 20 months having CJM?s playbook, putting in film study and a lot of practice throwing, Key will be a decent QB next year.
He?s a better passer than Fitz. Hopefully he?ll pick up the offense.

chef dixon
01-01-2019, 08:14 PM
To me, his use of KT has been so odd. Today took it to an even more odd level. I really don't see the harm in attempting to see what KT has and if Schrader beats him out next year, he beats him out.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 08:15 PM
KT also played last year late in the year & did well. From all accounts, Schrader is more polished than KT
101.8 passer rating was playing well?

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 08:15 PM

I wouldn’t count Tua last year. Lawerence would be a better comp to Fromm. But you are talking about all 3 were Top 4 at their position and Lawerence was the Top player in the country coming out. Tua and Fromm were also Top 50 players at any position. Huge gap at talent and being ready to play.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 08:16 PM
I wouldn’t count Tua last year. Lawerence would be a better comp to Fromm. But you are talking about all 3 were Top 4 at their position and Lawerence was the Top player in the country coming out. Tua and Fromm were also Top 50 players at any position. Huge gap at talent and being ready to play.

It was a joke, really

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Before there is QB named I hope we are able to do a better job of keeping them upright and able to deliver a ball down field accurately. We did a terrible job of that this year against any team with a pulse. I know your going to say no way but the play of our line was sub par most of the year.

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Shrader, for him as well as us in the long run, needs to redshirt. You never know how quickly someone comes along but he needs work and a year in a program. Not just to further strengthen his shoulder but to also work on correcting his mechanics. Add learning the system and for his development he really needs another year from where they think he is today. Maybe he comes along very fast but I just don’t count on it

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 08:21 PM
It was a joke, really

Ah. My bad

Doggie_Style
01-01-2019, 08:27 PM

Why, he played against some of the best church league teams in N.C.! **

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 08:27 PM
I think it's going to be Schrader & think we are all going to be surprised at 1. How much he knows the offense & 2. He's athletic enough to at worst do what Fitz did this year. Schrader is faster than Fitz.

Don't underestimate that Moorhead got HIS GUY with Schrader. He got the first offer he handed out when he got to MSU & he got a guy that he's been recruiting since he was a sophomore in HS.

What we don't know about Schrader is how well he already knows this offense. Is it possible that kid that has been recruited by Moorhead since he was a SO in HS & who has been attending Moorhead camps since then would know a ton about this offense already?

How do we know that Schrader isn't ALREADY ahead of the other two QBs in terms of knowing this offense?

The trick for Moorhead will be to keep the other two QBs from transferring before the 5th game next season while also being convicted in a starter rather than pulling a Mullen & losing to South Alabama because he couldn't decided between Fitz & Williams

That's our best case scenario. I just don't have a lot of confidence in him reading SEC defenses as a freshman but maybe Moorhead can get him through it.

Anyway that's why I compare him to John Bond. We went 3-8 in Emory's first year because our QB's didn't fit Emory's system. So he brings in Bond who I assume ran the wishbone in high school and boom.

Coach007
01-01-2019, 08:30 PM
So who's it going to be?

JoMo us not doing everything to keep him from it. Either KT can do it or he cant. There is no bias.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Tua didn't start a game not one. And FYI did you leave off sarcastrica cause he ain't tua not Lawrence, who was the number #1 qb in the country

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Before there is QB named I hope we are able to do a better job of keeping them upright and able to deliver a ball down field accurately. We did a terrible job of that this year against any team with a pulse. I know your going to say no way but the play of our line was sub par most of the year.

While correct, I think Fitz's sub par quickness, heavy feet, & lack of pocket awareness had a ton to do with that.

One thing I am excited about with KT & Schrader is that both are quicker with significantly lighter feet than Fitz. That should allow us to scramble more & manipulate the pocket

chef dixon
01-01-2019, 08:37 PM
JoMo us not doing everything to keep him from it. Either KT can do it or he cant. There is no bias.

Fitz couldn't do it, but he still got plenty of shots. Look I know your stance on this situation, and you could be right, but its a bad look for Moorhead to be lining him up at RB and WR.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 08:42 PM
While correct, I think Fitz's sub par quickness, heavy feet, & lack of pocket awareness had a ton to do with that.

One thing I am excited about with KT & Schrader is that both are quicker with significantly lighter feet than Fitz. That should allow us to scramble more & manipulate the pocket

I think at the very least Key would make better reads and throw a more catchable ball. That's improvement right there.

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 08:42 PM

So your saying that Fitz doesn't move well in the pocket right? If so it's hard to have quick feet with a 270 DE hanging on your ass or a 220 LB coming unblocked right up,the middle on you.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 08:44 PM
So your saying that Fitz doesn't move well in the pocket right? If so it's hard to have quick feet with a 270 DE hanging on your ass or a 220 LB coming unblocked right up,the middle on you.

He does not. Fitz is fast but not really quick. He runs well moving forward but not really laterally. Dak doesn't either.

Watch Brady, Romo, Rodgers, Luck, P Manning, etc if you want to see what I'm talking about

Coursesuper
I think at the very least Key would make better reads and throw a more catchable ball. That's improvement right there.

I didn't see that at all in the opener. Like the head guy said right church wrong pue. He can spin it though.

msstate7
Tua didn't start a game not one. And FYI did you leave off sarcastrica cause he ain't tua not Lawrence, who was the number #1 qb in the country

It was a joke

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 08:55 PM
I didn't see that at all in the opener. Like the head guy said right church wrong pue. He can spin it though.

Remember his touchdown pass against Arkansas? He also threw some decent deep passes against Stephen F Austin. The thing I question about Key is his leadership. Maybe he'll step up.

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Fitz couldn't do it, but he still got plenty of shots. Look I know your stance on this situation, and you could be right, but its a bad look for Moorhead to be lining him up at RB and WR.

The funny thing is there were a few people on here during the season bitching that we didn't run 2 QB sets like Joe had at PSU. They said we needed that wrinkle and with Fitz and KT it was stupid that we weren't.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 08:59 PM
The funny thing is there were a few people on here during the season bitching that we didn't run 2 QB sets like Joe had at PSU. They said we needed that wrinkle and with Fitz and KT it was stupid that we weren't.

MSU fans are notorious for wanting to do the opposite of whatever the current coach wants to do.

Hambone
01-01-2019, 08:59 PM
What if we go 2-10? I don't think we will... just wondering if that would be grounds in your mind

Absolutely, with no question. However we won?t go 2-10. 6-6 floor with a 9-3 ceiling next year

RocketDawg
01-01-2019, 09:03 PM
MSU fans are notorious for wanting to do the opposite of whatever the current coach wants to do.

And also for a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" way of thinking.

Is Schrader a good student and capable of thinking fast?

msugolf
01-01-2019, 09:05 PM
Remember his touchdown pass against Arkansas? He also threw some decent deep passes against Stephen F Austin. The thing I question about Key is his leadership. Maybe he'll step up.

Its not going to be Key per a current assistant coach I know. If it is, then 2 or 3 other options didn't pan out.

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Let's look at the 1990s:

"Sleepy sucks! Put in Plump!"
"Why are we playing Plump? Put in Todd Jordan!"
"Jordan sucks! Whatever happened to that Hudson kid? We want Taite!"
"Taite sucks, put in that Wyatt kid from Tupelo!"
"Wyatt sucks! Put in that freshman Madkin!"
"Madkin sucks, put Wyatt back in! Shit he sucks too go back to Madkin!"

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 09:22 PM
And also for a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" way of thinking.

Is Schrader a good student and capable of thinking fast?

He graduated high school early so I assume he's a good student.

Its not going to be Key per a current assistant coach I know. If it is, then 2 or 3 other options didn't pan out.

That doesn't surprise me. I actually would have been more surprised if he did start.

Let's look at the 1990s:

Ah yes. The 1990's. Sherrill couldn't develop a QB to save his life. Plump really was the worst. In 1999 we all made it work out somehow because Wyatt could run the two minute offense pretty well.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 09:24 PM
He graduated high school early so I assume he's a good student.

That doesn't surprise me. I actually would have been more surprised if he did start.

Ah yes. The 1990's. Sherrill couldn't develop a QB to save his life. Plump really was the worst. In 1999 we all made it work out somehow because Wyatt could run the two minute offense pretty well.

I know Greg. Great guy but as a qb not so much.

maroonmania
01-01-2019, 09:30 PM
If it?s not KT, we are going 4-8 and Moorhead is done. That may be the case even with KT unless he?s a big improvement over Fitzgerald.

Good grief, if KT was an improvement over Fitz then it makes no sense why he couldn't get any playing time at QB this year.

Saltydog
01-01-2019, 09:32 PM
and a 5 game floor!

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 09:37 PM
I know Greg. Great guy but as a qb not so much.

Nothing personal against Plump. Of course.

Good grief, if KT was an improvement over Fitz then it makes no sense why he couldn't get any playing time at QB this year.

Not necessarily. Neither Joe nor Fitz chose each other. Benching a two year starter who was coming off of an injury and was close to some school records who was also being marketed as the face of the program would have been some bad optics. And Joe did finally threaten to bench Nick after LSU if he didn't play better.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 09:40 PM

Not necessarily. Neither Joe nor Fitz chose each other. Benching a two year starter who was coming off of an injury and was close to some school records who was also being marketed as the face of the program would have been some bad optics. And Joe did finally threaten to bench Nick after LSU if he didn't play better.

Oh yeah I know you were just telling it like it is about plump. I've even joked with him about his passing ability lol

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah I know you were just telling it like it is about plump. I've even joked with him about his passing ability lol

I remember him, Todd Jordan, Taite, and Hudson all getting in trouble or hurt leading to the legend of Mike Pizinski the Polish Rifle being a possible starter for us at QB. I've often said that Pizinski was our best QB in the 1990's because he was always the guy with potential that never played even though he was a walk on and from what I heard he looked really bad in warm ups to the point where Jackie just went with a hurt Jordan and Benard Euell out of the wildcat.

maroonmania
01-01-2019, 09:46 PM

I said nothing about benching Fitz or replacing him as starter. KT couldn't even get a series when Fitz was stinking up the place. The one series he got in the week after the LSU game he looked a little overwhelmed.

Pit Bull
01-01-2019, 09:49 PM
It would be really bad if KT and Mayden transferred back to their home states to play for LSU and TAMU respectively. Both were offered by those schools, but chose MSU because of Mullen and his track record with Dak. If I was either one of those I'd be transferring tomorrow. And I guarantee you, KT and Mayden would be stars at their respective home state schools.....AND be thorns in our side for the next 3-4 years. Mullen, to his credit knew how to develop QBs....JoMo does not.

Pit Bull
01-01-2019, 09:56 PM

He is very thin and will probably get killed in just the OOC portion of our schedule. Mayden is the one most like Dak. He is thick, runs fast, and passes well.....and can take some hits and get right back up. KT needs some more weight as well, but even now is considerably bigger than Schrader. Hell, I think Mayden was even offered by Ohio State. Something tells me JoMo is going to crap this bed big time.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Let's look at the 1990s:

Wyatt played HS FB in Alabama.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Yep I believe he was from prattville

Coach007
01-01-2019, 10:04 PM

1- JoMo put Hill in over a senior. The evidence shows he plays the best person.

2- it's not a bad look to make a defense guess by having 2 QBs in a set or 2.

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Yep I believe he was from prattville

Yeah - goofed on that.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 10:14 PM
1- JoMo put Hill in over a senior. The evidence shows he plays the best person.

2- it's not a bad look to make a defense guess by having 2 QBs in a set or 2.

#2, I doubt it shook up their D to see it.

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 10:34 PM

If Key isn't the man JoMo will be fired in year 3.

Scared_Hitless
01-01-2019, 10:39 PM
If KT is not an improvement next year i will be shocked. He is the guy and if he isnt Moorheads days are numbered.

BuckyIsAB****
01-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Shrader will not start next year. Hes not ready. It will be KT or a grad transfer

parabrave
01-01-2019, 10:54 PM
It would be really bad if KT and Mayden transferred back to their home states to play for LSU and TAMU respectively. Both were offered by those schools, but chose MSU because of Mullen and his track record with Dak. If I was either one of those I'd be transferring tomorrow. And I guarantee you, KT and Mayden would be stars at their respective home state schools.....AND be thorns in our side for the next 3-4 years. Mullen, to his credit knew how to develop QBs....JoMo does not.

Yep I know KT would do well at LSU but he isn't leaving. But JOMO does need to hire a competent QB coach because he isn't getting the job done.

OSCAR
01-01-2019, 11:22 PM
I think 5 wins or more and you have to give him a shot at the rebuild. 2019 was always going to be a rebuild year. He can?t collapse completely but he deserves a shot to show improvement in 2020 implementing his system with his players.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 11:24 PM
Yep I know KT would do well at LSU but he isn't leaving. But JOMO does need to hire a competent QB coach because he isn't getting the job done.

I can't see KT in LSU's pro system. Same with Mayden at A&M under Fisher for that matter. I could see KT fit in at Tulane though.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 11:25 PM
I think 5 wins or more and you have to give him a shot at the rebuild. 2019 was always going to be a rebuild year. He can?t collapse completely but he deserves a shot to show improvement in 2020 implementing his system with his players.

I'm certainly disappointed with this season, but I don't wanna fire him. We really have no choice but to ride him out a year or 2 now. Well, unless urban calls us up tomorrow haha

MaroonFlounder
01-01-2019, 11:34 PM
The folks in this thread mentioning QBs from the past need to know that Hudson was murdered before ever making it to campus.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 11:37 PM
The folks in this thread mentioning QBs from the past need to know that Hudson was murdered before ever making it to campus.

Rodney Hudson played qb as a freshman, 3 games.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Ummm...wrong

MaroonFlounder
01-01-2019, 11:42 PM
And Shrader is coming off a torn labrum. He will need a redshirt year.

Bothrops
01-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Where the hell are some of you seeing 9 wins next season?

msstate7
01-01-2019, 11:49 PM
Where the hell are some of you seeing 9 wins next season?

No idea. We can go ahead and scratch off at auburn, LSU, at aTm, and Bama

Quaoarsking
01-02-2019, 12:27 AM

Just off the top of my head:

Jake Fromm Georgia
Jacob Eason Georgia
Matthew Stafford Georgia
Jalen Hurts Alabama
Brad Kaaya Miami
Jake Heaps BYU
Matt Barkley USC
JT Daniels USC
Baker Mayfield Texas Tech
Lamar Jackson Louisville (part of the year)
Patrick Mahomes Texas Tech (part of the year)
Sam Ehlinger Texas
Kellen Mond Texas A&M
Deshaun Watson Clemson
Trevor Lawrence Clemson
Shea Patterson Ole Miss (ok he only played in 3 games, but he won at A&M)
Robert Griffin III Baylor
Jarrett Stidham Baylor (part of the year)
Terrelle Pryor Ohio State
Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson Michigan (split time with each other, but in the same season)
Chad Henne Michigan
Wesley Carroll Mississippi State
Josh Rosen UCLA
Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame
Tommy Rees Notre Dame (part of the year)
Jared Goff Cal

I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones.

ETA: I googled it, and Iowa State, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Nebraska, Minnesota, UCLA, and Rutgers all used true freshmen QBs primarily in 2018, with wildly diverging results.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 12:54 AM
If it?s not KT, we are going 4-8 and Moorhead is done. That may be the case even with KT unless he?s a big improvement over Fitzgerald.

If we go 4-8 next year with that schedule he should be fired. Have you even looked at our schedule or are you just pontificating here with no frame of reference? We will be 4-0 without breaking a sweat. We will easily go 6-6 to 8-4 with 6-6 our absolute floor. Arkansas and Ole Miss are absolute shit and we play a depleted Kentucky team in Starkville and replace Florida with a very average Tennessee team.

BhamDawg205
01-02-2019, 02:41 AM

Well maybe we don't have the right QB coach? Or WR coach No QB or WR improvement. May JoMo should upgrade there

BhamDawg205
01-02-2019, 02:47 AM

This

Bothrops
01-02-2019, 03:35 AM
If we go 4-8 next year with that schedule he should be fired. Have you even looked at our schedule or are you just pontificating here with no frame of reference? We will be 4-0 without breaking a sweat. We will easily go 6-6 to 8-4 with 6-6 our absolute floor. Arkansas and Ole Miss are absolute shit and we play a depleted Kentucky team in Starkville and replace Florida with a very average Tennessee team.

Yeah but we may not have a qb....

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:31 AM
Well maybe we don't have the right QB coach? Or WR coach No QB or WR improvement. May JoMo should upgrade there

Everyone gets a pass on this season. Especially Getsy given what we have committed for the future and the possibility that we could still pull Mingo. Like Butch Thompson got a pass from me for two years with our pitching staff. I remember peel wanting him gone after year one but as I said then that would have been a collosal mistake.

Todd4State
01-02-2019, 04:32 AM
Yeah but we may not have a qb....

We really didn't this year if we are being honest with ourselves.

RougeDawg
01-02-2019, 09:18 AM
No idea. We can go ahead and scratch off at auburn, LSU, at aTm, and Bama

If the receivers keep dropping balls at this clip, you may as well scratch the Maroon and White game off the Win column too.