PDA

View Full Version : Maybe It's Just Me

StarkVegasSteve
01-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Was talking with a few buddies after the game today and I'm starting to get very worried about baseball. I mean football is looking more and more like a Croomtastic hire and we were already underwhelmed with the baseball hire to begin with. I would hope Cohen can identify coaching talent better in a sport he played and coached for over 20 years, but judging solely on the football hire I do have a lot of concerns.

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Was talking with a few buddies after the game today and I'm starting to get very worried about baseball. I mean football is looking more and more like a Croomtastic hire and we were already underwhelmed with the baseball hire to begin with. I would hope Cohen can identify coaching talent better in a sport he played and coached for over 20 years, but judging solely on the football hire I do have a lot of concerns.

So what has Lemonis done so far that's concerned you?

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Oh I'm sure there will be a massive meltdown when we lose a game we shouldn't or a series we shouldn't.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 06:50 PM
The baseball teams gonna be just fine. Dang we lose a football game and now the baseball team is gonna suck? Just no

basedog
01-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Disgusting to say the least.

Coursesuper

I can't say I don't have the same concerns as you. The way that the baseball search got handled made it look like a mess from the outside. We will just have to see, there is some stability left on the staff though.

ShotgunDawg
The baseball hire was underwhelming, but our baseball program is hard to screw up. Additionally, with the lack of recent stability in our baseball coaching staff from the head coaching position to pitching coach could lead to an uptick with stability alone

Lemon will do well, but we'll never know what Schloss could've done.

msbulldog
01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Baseball will be fine. I mean damn, we lose a football game (won 8) and now the whole sports program implodes?
A Grip, get one.

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Oh I'm sure there will be a massive meltdown when we lose a game we shouldn't or a series we shouldn't.

And that is different than any season since 2011 how???

I got one word for you - BUNT.

99jc
Nah the men's bb team will be the next meltdown...the women's team gets a pass for 3 years no matter what.

StarkVegasSteve
I can't say I don't have the same concerns as you. The way that the baseball search got handled made it look like a mess from the outside. We will just have to see, there is some stability left on the staff though.

Very true. We still have JG and he is an obvious help and was a huge coup to keep him. It's just concerning that Cohen sold both of these guys as best for the job and it's looking like his proclamation is emphatically false Obviously I hope Lemonis has no issues and Joe gets it turned. I'd happily eat crow if it happens.

StarkVegasSteve
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Nah the men's bb team will be the next meltdown...the women's team gets a pass for 3 years no matter what.

I'll ride or die with the Mens BB. Absolutely love our team.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 07:09 PM
And that is different than any season since 2011 how???

I got one word for you - BUNT.

It's the same as always. And I'm sure someone will call me out for making the players better than they are. And we'll end up in at least a SR again.

Very true. We still have JG and he is an obvious help and was a huge coup to keep him. It's just concerning that Cohen sold both of these guys as best for the job and it's looking like his proclamation is emphatically false Obviously I hope Lemonis has no issues and Joe gets it turned. I'd happily eat crow if it happens.

Cohen handled the search poorly by building up expectations about the hire by running his mouth. I hope he learned a valuable lesson from that.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 07:11 PM

You will not be disappointed in Lemonis.

msbulldog
01-01-2019, 07:32 PM

What is your problem with Lemonis? You seem to have come on this board recently and stir $hat.

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 07:42 PM
What is your problem with Lemonis? You seem to have come on this board recently and stir $hat.

I think his problem is more with Cohen than lemonis, but it seems your reading comprehension skills can't get through those maroon colored glasses. Truthfully we don't know about our baseball coach, I've got good reports so far from Dad of a kid on the team, but the truth is we don't know.

I can kinda get this guys point of view the football hire was trotted out there as an offensive guru and the results didn't come close to,that. There are a bunch of reasons for it but it's still a disappointing season. Now after what outwardly looked like fouled up coaching search and an AD running his suck about what the hire was going to be we again have to wait and see about the next new hire.

Dawg2003
01-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Lemon has been a head coach before, and Gautreau is still there. Foxhall has a lot of experience.

SilentSteel16
01-01-2019, 08:18 PM
I have talked to full time (meaning no other jobs,) MLB baseball scouts. Both have said very passionately that MSU pulled off a very significant hire and players coach. They both said that he is MLB coaching talent. So relax we will be fine.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 08:23 PM
I have talked to full time (meaning no other jobs,) MLB baseball scouts. Both have said very passionately that MSU pulled off a very significant hire and players coach. They both said that he is MLB coaching talent. So relax we will be fine.

This is correct. If you know some folks in the baseball business they believe we got a great coach.

basedog
01-01-2019, 09:16 PM
This is correct. If you know some folks in the baseball business they believe we got a great coach.

And the committed players for the next few years love the baseball staff. I go with what I’ve been told not by here say BS posters.

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 09:18 PM
And the committed players for the next few years love the baseball staff. I go with what I’ve been told not by here say BS posters.

You're exactly right.

Bothrops
01-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Our football woes shouldn't translate to the new Dude..

..but my God, what if they do...??

StarkVegasSteve
01-03-2019, 11:55 AM
I think his problem is more with Cohen than lemonis, but it seems your reading comprehension skills can't get through those maroon colored glasses. Truthfully we don't know about our baseball coach, I've got good reports so far from Dad of a kid on the team, but the truth is we don't know.

I can kinda get this guys point of view the football hire was trotted out there as an offensive guru and the results didn't come close to,that. There are a bunch of reasons for it but it's still a disappointing season. Now after what outwardly looked like fouled up coaching search and an AD running his suck about what the hire was going to be we again have to wait and see about the next new hire.

This. It's nothing against Lemonis. I've not heard a whole lot other than the typical first year coach speak. My worries are Cohen's hiring abilities. Again, I have a little more faith in his baseball mind as of now, but his hiring track record isn't off to the best start. But as I stated in the OP, I sincerely hope I'm wrong and have to eat crow on this

Jack Lambert
01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
The baseball teams gonna be just fine. Dang we lose a football game and now the baseball team is gonna suck? Just no

It is sad we have so many insufferable fans.

Bully13
01-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Well that's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back

Percho
01-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Amen, brother.

maroonmania
01-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Agree, we have fans wanting to criticize Cohen's ability to hire a coach when the previous AD hired Rick freakin' Ray. It doesn't get any worse than that hire. If Lemonis can get Indiana to regionals 3 out of 4 years I think he will do pretty well at MSU.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Agree, we have fans wanting to criticize Cohen's ability to hire a coach when the previous AD hired Rick freakin' Ray. It doesn't get any worse than that hire. If Lemonis can get Indiana to regionals 3 out of 4 years I think he will do pretty well at MSU.

Exactly and look at the staff Lemonis has assembled- Jake who is one of the best hitting coaches out there, Foxhall is an elite pitching coach, and also brought in one of the best catching coaches in the country. It's more than just Lemonis and Lemonis is a great teacher on top of that. It's an elite coaching staff.

Randolph Dupree
01-04-2019, 10:05 AM
Exactly and look at the staff Lemonis has assembled- Jake who is one of the best hitting coaches out there, Fox hall, elite pitching coach, and one of the best catching coaches in the country. It's more than just Lemonis and Lemonis is agree teacher on top of that. It's an elite coaching staff.

This. I'm not saying we win the natty this year, but the staff is elite. Just relax.

TNDawg35
01-04-2019, 10:14 AM
The same people bitching about Lemonis would be the same ones begging for him if we would have the job to Hendo when we lost boneheaded games.

Political Hack
01-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Cohen's management of baseball games drove people crazy and I suspect he's watched Lem coach baseball games before he hired him and agreed with his style... so there is a chance we still won't swing the bats like LSU or Oregon State and try to small ball our way to a single run in the 3rd inning of a mid-week game with 0 outs and a man on 2nd with our lead off hitter up, but if we win, we win. Winning cures everything and we should win a lot of games.

I seen it dawg
01-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Jesus. That's baseball

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Our football woes shouldn't translate to the new Dude..

..but my God, what if they do...??

So Instead of winning a National Title like some people think is possible, we go to another Super Regional like is closer to our norm? Should we fire Lemonis his first year if we don't make the National Championship series?

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 01:37 PM
The same people bitching about Lemonis would be the same ones begging for him if we would have the job to Hendo when we lost boneheaded games.

Hendo did some dumb things last year, we just pulled some magic out of our ass. Anyone remember him not pulling pitchers against Oklahoma even though we gave up 9 runs and the lead. We then burned Self by pitching him in the 9th when we were losing by 10 runs.

Cohen made a decision based on his head and not his heart. Hendo was the steadying force that team needed at that moment but he wasn't the future of the program.

I seen it dawg
01-04-2019, 01:46 PM
For gods sakes yes i remember. I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks.

Tbonewannabe
01-04-2019, 02:41 PM
For gods sakes yes i remember. I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks.

Easier to stomach if you know MacNamee is going to hit a bomb to win against FSU.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2019, 09:24 PM

And what did Cohen do bad to you and your buddies? News release - The sky is not falling in the MSU athletic department.

Todd4State
01-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Cohen's management of baseball games drove people crazy and I suspect he's watched Lem coach baseball games before he hired him and agreed with his style... so there is a chance we still won't swing the bats like LSU or Oregon State and try to small ball our way to a single run in the 3rd inning of a mid-week game with 0 outs and a man on 2nd with our lead off hitter up, but if we win, we win. Winning cures everything and we should win a lot of games.

Offensive baseball is more about what your players can do with the bat. If you have guys that can hit a lot of bombs you're going to be more of an Earl Weaver type team. If you have guys that can run and hit for average your going to be more of a small ball team. I'm sure Lemonis is that way too. I don't think we will see a ton of small ball honestly because we have some guys like Westburg, MacNamee, and even Rowdey that can mash a little bit and some guys like Tanner Allen who can hit even though he isn't a guy that will hit a ton of home runs you're not going to ask him to bunt a lot because there's a good chance he gets a hit- including a double or triple- even though I don't think he will hit a ton of home runs. Mangum will bunt some because he can run and he can beat out those bunts for hits sometimes.

Plus when Cohen was here it was a big time dead ball era in college baseball and Cohen built us for that. After that was over he brought in Nate Lowe, Rooker, Gavin Collins, Kruger, and Reid Humphreys and we were more of a balanced team with some power and we won the SEC with that.