PDA

View Full Version : Finesse vs physicality

BoomBoom
01-01-2019, 06:05 PM
This is what it is about. Morehead only believes in finesse. He does not understand or believe in physicality. That's why there's not a QB sneak in the play book. That's why on 1st and G on the 1, he calls slow developing run plays where we dance in the background and lose yards. That's finesse. We have to "fool" the defense into opening a gap, to finesse an opening, rather than block one into being. Finesse instead of physicality. That's why Hill won the starting job over Aeris. Aeris bruises his way to yards and picks up the blitz by slamming the blitzer with his body. Physicality. Hill has the speed and moves to make a guy miss then outrun the D. Finesse. That's why we inexplicably throw so much with our bruising runner of a QB. Finesse over physicality.

Finesse is part of the game. But so is physicality. Morehead will never succeed until he grasps the importance of both, especially in this league and at MSU. And I doubt he will learn at this point. He's a bust.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 06:16 PM
It really comes down to terrible accuracy at QB & terrible talent at WR.

Just like a pitcher that can't throw strikes, inaccurate QBs have no way of being consistent

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Just like a pitcher that can't throw strikes, inaccurate QBs have no way of being consistent

Yep we had almost zero passing game this year. You can win being one dimensional against inferior teams but not against good ones. All they have to do is take away what you do well and then you're screwed. As much as I love Fitz if I was a dc he would not put any fear in my heart as a passer. I would put everyone at los and dare him to throw and on third and long blitz the heck out of him. And when he made the throws we couldn't catch them consistently

BoomBoom
01-01-2019, 06:24 PM

No, it doesnt. That sure doesn't help, but if Morehead finds an accurate QB he'll still have the same problems, just maybe papered over a little better. QB accuracy doesn't help pound it in on the goalline or 3rd and 1. QB accuracy doesn't help have a better pass protecter in at RB. You can't finesse your way to success in this league, with ANY QB.

If he understood physicality, we'd have seen a lot more running early paired with play-action passes later. Plays that set our players up for success. Then the accuracy would be higher.