PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead doesn?t have much imagination

Thick
01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
in short yardage or goal line situations. His offense is not special whatsoever. We run a base of maybe 4-5 running plays, and 80% of the time Fitz kept it. There?s nothing in the run game that should get any RB excited about playing in his scheme. I simply just hate his running game plans, way too many reads instead of straight hand offs. No creativity in this offense especially short yardage. Just not impressed at this point. Stupid decision to go for 2 in the first half, and also didn?t use a time out at the end of the first half to throw a Hail Mary to end the half. Just let the clock rundown to 00. Terrible, terrible season, and I?m not expecting anything close to it next season. Like I posted earlier this season, Moorhead?s in over his head.

Maroonthirteen
01-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Yeah our offense is very ... vanilla. You can throw around terms .... rpo.....but it is pretty much right at ya. You know what we will do most times.

Lord McBuckethead
01-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Hell, i haven't seen much rpo. I have seen some read option, but i haven't seen much pass option. Our RBs should have 2x the carries than our QB.

Thick
01-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Yes that’s my point. I wasn’t thrilled to see our second team qb running a seam route down the middle of the field (he should have caught it) with safeties zeroing in on him either.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:10 PM
You really wanted to let Fitz throw a Hail Mary? I have better odds of winning the lotto then him hitting on a Hail Mary or just any deep throw period.

AlSwearengen
01-01-2019, 06:14 PM
It all looks like shit. The passing game is high school level. The best looking pass play of the day was to the backup qb that let it go right through his hands.

It has looked for most of the season, to my untrained eye, that defenses take the rb away and make the qb run. Or maybe the reads aren’t right, or our passing game does nothing to move the defense off the line. Not sure, but it looks like shit most of the time.

TALL DAWG
01-01-2019, 06:29 PM
It all looks like shit. The passing game is high school level. The best looking pass play of the day was to the backup qb that let it go right through his hands.

It has looked for most of the season, to my untrained eye, that defenses take the rb away and make the qb run. Or maybe the reads aren?t right, or our passing game does nothing to move the defense off the line. Not sure, but it looks like shit most of the time.

And, although our O looked like hot garbage at times....still...if we catch 2 passes for TDs...all else being equal...we win by 9.
Got to find some wide outs who can catch the damn ball when it hits them in the hands.
Got to make catches when they hit u in hands!! Thats the one thing that stuck in my mind as I sat at the game.

When they drop those balls, it hurts Fitz and the offensive line confidence.

Thick
01-01-2019, 06:30 PM
You really wanted to let Fitz throw a Hail Mary? I have better odds of winning the lotto then him hitting on a Hail Mary or just any deep throw period.

Yes I sure did. You had 2 timeouts left with 4th and long, and 40 seconds on the clock. Burn a timeout with 3 seconds. Osiris Mitchell is 6’5, Guidry is 6’4, Austin is 6’3, so your damn right throw a Hail Mary. You have nothing to lose

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Yes I sure did. You had 2 timeouts left with 4th and long, and 40 seconds on the clock. Burn a timeout with 3 seconds. Osiris Mitchell is 6’5, Guidry is 6’4, Austin is 6’3, so your damn right throw a Hail Mary. You have nothing to lose

Yeah, you sure don't win that lottery without buying a ticket and never complete a Hail Mary without a throw. As far as the 3 tall receivers catching the ball, well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:57 PM
I would definitely like to see our running game diversify at the very least. I would like to see some things from under the center from time to time personally. Probably won't happen but plays under the center still have a place in today's game.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Well the guy who buys a lotto ticket has a better chance of winning than one who doesn't. No reAson not to try from there. None.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 07:02 PM
I would definitely like to see our running game diversify at the very least. I would like to see some things from under the center from time to time personally. Probably won't happen but plays under the center still have a place in today's game.

Agree. And no it won't happen, we don't even have a play from under center.

MaroonFlounder
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
On 3rd or 4th and 1, having to rpo from shotgun...a play that starts from 5 yards into your backfield...kills you against good defenses. To not even practice under center for short yardage 3rd and 4th downs....is stupid. It killed us against Bama and LSU. And it killed us today.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 11:06 PM

You probably won't see it. Moorhead appears very stubborn to me. I do believe if Fitz were under the center today he could have scored on a QB sneak

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Yes I sure did. You had 2 timeouts left with 4th and long, and 40 seconds on the clock. Burn a timeout with 3 seconds. Osiris Mitchell is 6?5, Guidry is 6?4, Austin is 6?3, so your damn right throw a Hail Mary. You have nothing to lose

Fitz's ego is too fragile to throw picks which is probably what it turns into. Fitz wanted the glory. He should have pitched the ball to the RB's during the goalline.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 11:21 PM
You probably won't see it. Moorhead appears very stubborn to me. I do believe if Fitz were under the center today he could have scored on a QB sneak

I think Moorhead is one of those spread guys that thinks that if we go under center we'll mess up the snap or something like that. I'd like to see us run more sweeps from the gun where we pull a couple of linemen. Kind of a modern wrinkle on the Lombardi sweep. I'd be good with some jet sweeps like we see more and more of in the NFL like the Rams.

maroonmania
01-01-2019, 11:50 PM

We make it even worse. At least with Mullen, though we weren't under center normally, we took the snap and immediately hit the line. With JoMo, we get the snap back and then wait 1-2 seconds to do the "RPO" and then take off toward the line. With 8 or 9 defenders stacked up at the line when near the goal line that's just too many folks to ask your OL to hold off from getting penetration. Fitz is getting hit in the backfield most of the time on runs near the goal line because everyone knows he is probably going to keep it and he delays in running so the entire defense gets a chance to get to him.

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 12:26 AM

Reminds me of Croom and Woody and their infamous West Coast offense. Was in fact very "offensive" their entire time at State.

dawgoneyall
01-02-2019, 06:42 AM

Cohen said no Hail Mary?s

BHildreth3
01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
For those that know what the hell is going on offensively please explain this to me. When when you run the RPO, Spread, why can't you still not go into goal line situations with power I and 2 TE's and stuff like that? Run the spread between the 20's, but hell if you need 1 ****ing yard, why don't we just I-formation the hell out of 3 plays? I don't get it.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 08:26 AM
For those that know what the hell is going on offensively please explain this to me. When when you run the RPO, Spread, why can't you still not go into goal line situations with power I and 2 TE's and stuff like that? Run the spread between the 20's, but hell if you need 1 ****ing yard, why don't we just I-formation the hell out of 3 plays? I don't get it.

His ways are higher than our ways. The god of offense works in mysterious ways

RougeDawg
01-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Maybe TSA confiscated his coaching pills, mistaking them for illegal narcotics.

WinningIsRelentless
01-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Fitz must have screwed your wife the way you hate him.

Thick
01-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Think about this under Bellard we ran the Bone, but we had designed plays that Bond could run the triple option (rpo), he could give it, keep it, pitch it, and even throw the slant on as well. He still had reads, but he was under center.

tcdog70
01-02-2019, 11:15 AM
first and goal at the 1--qb sneak with your 230 lb QB on a quick count--will score 90% of the time. You are just stupid if that is not in your play book--

KOdawg1
01-02-2019, 11:18 AM
We ran the play where Fitz fakes a toss to the RB and just takes it up the middle about 6 times. Got two to three yards max about everytime.

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 11:20 AM
To be effective you need to be multiple. Look at BAMA they are RPO based, but bet your ass they get on the 1yd line they are lining up with a FullBack in the Iformation and scoring.

The fact we dont do this is baffling. Hill or Aeris scores 10 times out of 10 with 4 chances and a lead blocker. Its absurd.

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 11:21 AM
We ran the play where Fitz fakes a toss to the RB and just takes it up the middle about 6 times. Got two to three yards max about everytime.

Fitz 33 yd TD was on this play so that isn't correct play was actually effective when we didnt run it on the 1.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
in short yardage or goal line situations. His offense is not special whatsoever. We run a base of maybe 4-5 running plays, and 80% of the time Fitz kept it. There?s nothing in the run game that should get any RB excited about playing in his scheme. I simply just hate his running game plans, way too many reads instead of straight hand offs. No creativity in this offense especially short yardage. Just not impressed at this point. Stupid decision to go for 2 in the first half, and also didn?t use a time out at the end of the first half to throw a Hail Mary to end the half. Just let the clock rundown to 00. Terrible, terrible season, and I?m not expecting anything close to it next season. Like I posted earlier this season, Moorhead?s in over his head.

Moorhead didn't have a lot of offensive talent to work with in this game against a solid defense, so he was trying to manufacture yardage and points while being keenly aware of the value of field position - and all the while knowing that Iowa was boxing them in more and more as the game wore on.

Just my opinion.

Peace.

WinningIsRelentless
01-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Moorhead didn't have a lot of offensive talent to work with in this game against a solid defense, so he was trying to manufacture yardage and points while being keenly aware of the value of field position - and all the while knowing that Iowa was boxing them in more and more as the game wore on.

Just my opinion.

Peace.

That?s not true. Moorehead had good offensive talent but tried to use his system vs what the talent was good at. He didn?t adjust his offense to match the skill set of the player he took over like good coaches do.

Thick
01-02-2019, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Hawkeyegoofball;1049726]Moorhead didn't have a lot of offensive talent to work with in this game against a solid defense, so he was trying to manufacture yardage and points while being keenly aware of the value of field position - and all the while knowing that Iowa was boxing them in more and more as the game wore on.

Just my opinion.

You had 8-9 in the box we could have gotten to the edge with hill for one yard in goal line. That’s my point. We play solid defenses in our conference 6 out of 8 games per year. Your defense is good, but the playcalling is what gave you the game. We also had 90 yards of penalties that we normally don’t have and 30-45 yards on one of your TD drives. That’s football though, we made mistakes and you took advantage of them.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Hawkeyegoofball;1049726]Moorhead didn't have a lot of offensive talent to work with in this game against a solid defense, so he was trying to manufacture yardage and points while being keenly aware of the value of field position - and all the while knowing that Iowa was boxing them in more and more as the game wore on.

Just my opinion.

You had 8-9 in the box we could have gotten to the edge with hill for one yard in goal line. That?s my point. We play solid defenses in our conference 6 out of 8 games per year. Your defense is good, but the playcalling is what gave you the game. We also had 90 yards of penalties that we normally don?t have and 30-45 yards on one of your TD drives. That?s football though, we made mistakes and you took advantage of them.

I can accept that.

I haven't seen the film yet, yet can believe enough in your view and your knowledge of your team.

Iowa did blitz a little more than normal in this game, and they definitely crowded the box...because they wanted Fitz to throw and take their chances through the air. Simple, predictable game plan.

No way was Iowa going to allow MSU to establish consistency and momentum in the running game.

To your point, Moorhead had to know what Iowa was going to do - and while there were some slight adjustments in terms of alignment that Iowa made on D, there was nothing they did that was foreign and not on film to prep for.

Peace.

Hawkeyegoofball
01-02-2019, 12:03 PM
That?s not true. Moorehead had good offensive talent but tried to use his system vs what the talent was good at. He didn?t adjust his offense to match the skill set of the player he took over like good coaches do.

Good point and fair thoughts.

Don't know how many parts of his system he has integrated in year 1 @ MSU.

yjnkdawg
01-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Good point and fair thoughts.

Don't know how many parts of his system he has integrated in year 1 @ MSU.

It was watered down for a quarterback who couldn't run it as it was intended to be run.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Because spread/air raid guys just dont believe in it. They are scared of the snap going wrong but more than that it hurts their ego to take a step back in time (They feel like) and go under center.

Also because anytime spent in practice working in the I is taking away time from the gun and slinging it around in their eyes

CadaverDawg
01-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Totally agree

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 02:30 PM
His ways are higher than our ways. The god of offense works in mysterious ways

Are you talking about Mullen or Moorhead because neither ran QB sneaks? Hell Moorhead even ran the 5 wide QB draw that Mullen ran on almost every 3rd and short.

dawgday166
01-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Are you talking about Mullen or Moorhead because neither ran QB sneaks? Hell Moorhead even ran the 5 wide QB draw that Mullen ran on almost every 3rd and short.

There were many times this year I thought I was watching Mullen call plays. Maybe with another QB it is different going forward.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2019, 02:37 PM
There were many times this year I thought I was watching Mullen call plays. Maybe with another QB it is different going forward.

It certainly felt kind of like 2016 when Mullen was trying to call Dak type plays with Fitz. Mullen figured out Fitz wasn't a passer that year and just used him as a battering ram in 2017. Moorhead never truly figured it out.

NCDawg
01-02-2019, 02:42 PM
On 3rd or 4th and 1, having to rpo from shotgun...a play that starts from 5 yards into your backfield...kills you against good defenses. To not even practice under center for short yardage 3rd and 4th downs....is stupid. It killed us against Bama and LSU. And it killed us today.

Especially when your OL is getting beat by the opposing DL most of the day. QB going slow up to the line looking for a hole when the defense is pouring in ain't going to cut it. Surprised Moorhead didn't see that.

Bdawg
01-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Yeah, like a QB sneak on 1st and goal at half yard line?

tcdog70
01-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Especially when your OL is getting beat by the opposing DL most of the day. QB going slow up to the line looking for a hole when the defense is pouring in ain't going to cut it. Surprised Moorhead didn't see that.

It didn't help that Jenkins was not playing.