PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead post game on the goal line possession

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Fitz has the option to run, give it up, or pass it on all 3 plays. But he made the call to run it all 3 times based on the read.

Hope this comment gives everyone a little more insight on just how much the QB has to do and know in this offense and whynits important to have a smart and capable runner AND thrower.

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Good lord... makes it even more hopeless.

He can?t call a run play yo the RB on the goal line? That?s on him .

msstate7
01-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Maybe, just maybe after the first read or hell, at least the 2nd read, Moorhead would call a designed RB run like he did vs auburn. Gotta love Moorhead blaming the players though... this board used to blow freeze up for that

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Y'all do realize it's a lot harder to account for 11 guys on the goal line than 10 right?

I mean I get it. Call a run play to your RB. But do y'all not seriously get the point of the style of offense? We are a read offense but that gives us an advantage. But the QB has to put you in the right spot.

I can get you saying Moorhead should just call a run. But if the offense is executed and read correctly there we score.

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 05:33 PM
He routinely says that as well. It?s putting it on Fitz, which I think is wrong. After one game he said he wanted Hill to get the ball more too.

He?s the HEAD COACH and calls plays. If you want him to get it, get it to him.

bluelightstar
01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Fitz has the option to run, give it up, or pass it on all 3 plays. But he made the call to run it all 3 times based on the read.

Hope this comment gives everyone a little more insight on just how much the QB has to do and know in this offense and whynits important to have a smart and capable runner AND thrower.

It’s the coach’s job to adapt. Fitz is almost always going to “read” QB keep because he wants to score every time. Call a damn run that is designed to the back.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Y'all do realize it's a lot harder to account for 11 guys on the goal line than 10 right?

Well if you listen to you and Moorhead, you only have to account for one if you let fitz read.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 05:35 PM

So Moorhead, as the coach, called the same play three times in a row?

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 05:36 PM
That's just as bad as Dan giving Tyson Lee the option of keeping it against LSU. He has to know that Fitz makes wrong reads or is selfish at times and not give him the option of running it.

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Nope. Three different plays. Same options, different plays. That's basic read option football right there man.

Todd4State

Definitely twice on second and third down. I think first down was different but similar concept.

MetEdDawg
That's just as bad as Dan giving Tyson Lee the option of keeping it against LSU. He has to know that Fitz makes wrong reads or is selfish at times and not give him the option of running it.

The really difficult part is knowing when he's going to make the wrong reads. Sometimes is great and he busts it for 50 yards. Other times not. Welcome to why this offense sucked this year. We need a QB that's going to make the right reads the majority of the time.

Kind of hard to run a read option offense when your QB can't read or option

WildDawg
01-01-2019, 05:38 PM
My 8 year old son called EVERY one of those goal line plays, so how easy was it for the opposing team?? Flitz thinks he should be the only one that should score from that far out.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 05:40 PM
He routinely says that as well. It?s putting it on Fitz, which I think is wrong. After one game he said he wanted Hill to get the ball more too.

At the same time the players do have some responsibility. Maybe Fitz knows the offense better if he's not playing around with his girlfriend as much.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Put a damn QB sneak in the playbook.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Exactly. No need for our QB to have to make a read, an option...nothing but snap and go.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Which should scare the crap out of everyone that KT couldn't beat him out

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 05:46 PM
The really difficult part is knowing when he's going to make the wrong reads. Sometimes is great and he busts it for 50 yards. Other times not. Welcome to why this offense sucked this year. We need a QB that's going to make the right reads the majority of the time.

Exactly. People ask why we don't run screens and it should be obvious after watching Fitzgerald throw one to a receiver or back at 95 MPH from 5 yards away. Took away a lot of the deep passing game as well. We were only able to run a shell of what we could have run. And for the square/round peg people- at some point you get so limited you get ineffective because you are so one dimensional. You have to have a QB that can throw and compete passes in today's game or you will struggle no matter how much you dumb it down.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:49 PM

He's a glorified OC that stands motionless on the sidelines, tries to out think everyone on D, waits until little time is left to get the play in, and blames a QB not fit for his scheme to decide what to do.

bobtail bob
01-01-2019, 05:50 PM

Why keep giving him the dam option if he makes the wrong reads most of the time ?

" the light bulb is going to come on this series, i just know it "

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 05:50 PM

I mean I get it. Call a run play to your RB. But do y'all not seriously get the point of the style of offense? We are a read offense but that gives us an advantage. But the QB has to put you in the right spot.

I can get you saying Moorhead should just call a run. But if the offense is executed and read correctly there we score.

We have plays in Mooreheads book that appears to be a zone read but is just a RB counter run. No reading. Just run the play with the RB getting the ball. We do not have to run a read or RPO and have the plays in the book to just run the RB

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Exactly. People ask why we don't run screens and it should be obvious after watching Fitzgerald throw one to a receiver or back at 95 MPH from 5 yards away. Took away a lot of the deep passing game as well. We were only able to run a shell of what we could have run. And for the square/round peg people- at some point you get so limited you get ineffective because you are so one dimensional. You have to have a QB that can throw and compete passes in today's game or you will struggle no matter how much you dumb it down.

This statement is where I'm at really. I'm in the camp that Fitz's inability to execute and grasp the offense bastardized it so much that we couldn't do hardly anything to allow Moorhead's offense to look like its intended.

Dude has been successful everywhere. Literally everywhere. Now his offense doesn't work? I think Fitz basically made this offense a shell of itself so that we really couldn't do anything. The only chance our offense had of being successful was if Fitz was a threat to run. That's why Fitz ran so much. But Fitz could never capitalize on that in the pass game. So we just sputtered all the time.

Maybe I'm wrong. But if people actually think this is what Moorhead's offense is supposed to look like they are crazy.

MarketingBully
01-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Maybe, just maybe after the first read or hell, at least the 2nd read, Moorhead would call a designed RB run like he did vs auburn. Gotta love Moorhead blaming the players though... this board used to blow freeze up for that

Freeze’s offense WAS RPO. That’s accurate to blame the players if you give them the freedom to call the plays. Fitz is a ****ing fifth year senior. He should know that giving the ball to the RB gets you the TD. Everyone but him knew it.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:53 PM
This was game 13 and I saw one play inside their five and one of our OL was downfield in the endzone trying to block a LB on a play where Fitz threw another incomplete pass. Fitz was not the only player that couldn't figure out what to do in the RPO.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Why keep giving him the dam option if he makes the wrong reads most of the time ?

" the light bulb is going to come on this series, i just know it "

Yeah, it was just game 13. As Jack said once, "The drive of this game will be when I drive back to Tupelo".

MarketingBully
01-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Let me put it in terms you guys understand. If we had McSorley this year, this team wins 10 games easy.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 05:57 PM
He's a glorified OC that stands motionless on the sidelines, tries to out think everyone on D, waits until little time is left to get the play in, and blames a QB not fit for his scheme to decide what to do.

Pretty good synopsis.

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 05:58 PM

He didn't blame the players. He actually defended Fitz's decision to keep it 3 times.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 05:58 PM
He didn't blame the players. He actually defended Fitz's decision to keep it 3 times.

That's actually good to hear. I can live with bad calls if you don't blame players

Skydawg1
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Let me put it in terms you guys understand. If we had McSorley this year, this team wins 10 games easy.Fitz is a Dan mullen QB who runs first, runs second, and runs third, hopefully on 3rd and 1. Option QB in HS. Is Schrader a true QB? I dunno, I'm asking. I'm praying Joe can do more with an actual QB.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Let me put it in terms you guys understand. If we had McSorley this year, this team wins 10 games easy.

And how did that game with KY come out today? Oh right, they don't have Jo and McSorley anymore. Having S. Barkley sure makes an OC look better also.

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Penn St didn’t win 10 with McSorely this year and he completely all of 53.9% of his passes in conference this season, Fitz was 51.4% in conference. Not to mention the rushing difference between the 2

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM
This was game 13 and I saw one play inside their five and one of our OL was downfield in the endzone trying to block a LB on a play where Fitz threw another incomplete pass. Fitz was not the only player that couldn't figure out what to do in the RPO.

Did you really blame an OL about not knowing what to do on an RPO? Lol.

Nailed it. What upsets me is I don't think Nick has enough focus in the offseason. See him getting suspended in game one, whining on Twitter and calling fans out after the Auburn win and only improving after Joe was threatening to bench him. And now he reverts back to the game 1-6 Fitz after becoming an Egg Bowl hero again.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Penn St didn’t win 10 with McSorely this year and he completely all of 53.9% of his passes in conference this season, Fitz was 51.4% in conference. Not to mention the rushing difference between the 2

How many does Penn State win playing in the SEC West also? Of course our West team couldn't beat Iowa today.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Fitz is a Dan mullen QB who runs first, runs second, and runs third, hopefully on 3rd and 1. Option QB in HS. Is Schrader a true QB? I dunno, I'm asking. I'm praying Joe can do more with an actual QB.

Shrader definitely fits what Joe wants to do. The problem is he will be a freshman. Let's hope he plays like John Bond his freshman year because I doubt we get a legit grad transfer QB that can help and Key is a question mark at this point.

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Which should scare the crap out of everyone that KT couldn't beat him out

No, you're just a pessimist person. There was never a competition for the position. Fitz was named the starter before spring practice

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Schrader better be great the way our fans reference him. Especially saying he?s gonna be better than Fitz who?s been really good.

Fitz is the all time SEC QB rushing leader but that?s not good enough. Schrader is the answer. 🙄

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Did you really blame an OL about not knowing what to do on an RPO? Lol.

Nailed it. What upsets me is I don't think Nick has enough focus in the offseason. See him getting suspended in game one, whining on Twitter and calling fans out after the Auburn win and only improving after Joe was threatening to bench him. And now he reverts back to the game 1-6 Fitz after becoming an Egg Bowl hero again.

Agreed with his lack of focus. He looked like a guy in love with a girl more than football.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Schrader better be great the way our fans reference him. Especially saying he?s gonna be better than Fitz who?s been really good.

Fitz is the all time SEC QB rushing leader but that?s not good enough. Schrader is the answer. 🙄
Key was rated higher than Shrader too. Not sure why we billing shrader as a cant miss. 5-star QBs only pan out around 50-60% of the time

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:08 PM

Fitz is the all time SEC QB rushing leader but that?s not good enough. Schrader is the answer. ��

Most are saying he should redshirt so I'm not sure what you are taking about. I think he will be really good when he is ready and developed. But to be very clear that's probably not next year.

MetEdDawg

Isn't it even remotely possible that the fact he lost Moorhead had something to do with that? He had Moorhead for 2 years as his OC. Moorhead leave and all of a sudden Penn State is awful on offense. Sure Barkley left but McSorley was more than capable. Couldn't Moorhead leaving possibly be the reason McSorley regressed?

Bully13
Glad I didn't watch. Glad I know not about this goal line shit.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I thought the OL had to have some way in a RPO to know whether to run block or pass block at some point in the play. Someone didn't know what was going on a lot of plays this year. I'm just a State fan watching and supporting State since 63 under numerous coaches, never been a coach. Hail state!

bulldawg28

Fitz is the all time SEC QB rushing leader but that?s not good enough. Schrader is the answer. ��

The leading rusher would be great if he were a running back or we ran the triple option like navy. Problem is you lose games like today when they focus on your running ability.

Todd4State
Agreed with his lack of focus. He looked like a guy in love with a girl more than football.

Yep. And girlfriends are undefeated.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Sorry, I thought the OL had to have some way in a RPO to know whether to run block or pass block at some point in the play. Someone didn't know what was going on a lot of plays this year. I'm just a State fan watching and supporting State since 63 under numerous coaches, never been a coach. Hail state!

It's all good. I'm not an expert myself.

bluelightstar
01-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Key was rated higher than Shrader too. Not sure why we billing shrader as a cant miss. 5-star QBs only pan out around 50-60% of the time

Right. It is unreal why people think we've recruited Aaron 17'in Rodgers.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Isn't it even remotely possible that the fact he lost Moorhead had something to do with that? He had Moorhead for 2 years as his OC. Moorhead leave and all of a sudden Penn State is awful on offense. Sure Barkley left but McSorley was more than capable. Couldn't Moorhead leaving possibly be the reason McSorley regressed?

Joe had Saquon at UConn and Fordham too.**

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Or is it that Mooreheads scheme is now in year 3 in P5 and defenses have caught up?

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Fit is a big part of it with QB's. Peyton Manning was a five star but wouldn't fit Army's offense even though he is rated way higher than their QB who is good in that system.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Or is it that Mooreheads scheme is now in year 3 in P5 and defenses have caught up?

Judging by the wide ass open receivers we had running around I don't think it's "they've caught up".

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Joe had Saquon at UConn and Fordham too.**

Joe didn?t run this offense at UConn. His first year they were ranked like 21 or 27th his second year the offensive scoring was 63rd nationally but they didn?t develop this offense until Fordham

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
It's all good. I'm not an expert myself.

Same here. I am used to be one of those older State fans that after growing up in the awful 60's and 70's of State FB, said that if we could just consistently win 8 or so games a year, beat UM regularly, and challenge for the West every once in a while, I would be happy. Well, Jackie changed all that (except for the bad ending) with the good years and trip to Atlanta. Dan helped rebuild and gave hope except for constant job hunting causing bad finishes. What I thought would be good is no longer satisfying for me, especially this 8-5 year. Times have changed and I want and expect more for State! BTW, I am not a "blue hair". Actually, a no hair on top. Hail State!

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Judging by the wide ass open receivers we had running around I don't think it's "they've caught up".

Penn St dropped to 52nd nationally in scoring as well still running his scheme. We will see what happens next year but that’s 2 teams in 2 different leagues, one with a senior in his 3rd in the system with a big drop.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Good SEC defenses have, but we didn't have the players to run it against them. Only great skill position signees and time will tell in this conference.

parabrave
01-01-2019, 06:26 PM

I listened to Matt on the radio and he said each play the Iowa defense would change the safety position right before the snap because they knew when we had to snap it. That has happened before this year when the defense knows you make your last off read with 5 seconds to go and thats on Moorhead. Like someone said earlier just get up there make your read and snap it.

bluelightstar
01-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Good SEC defenses have, but we didn't have the players to run it against them. Only great skill position signees and time will tell in this conference.

The only thing that gives me hope is that I saw plenty of wide open receivers in our offense this year. Now even if Fitz had seen them and thrown it to them, they probably would've dropped it. But getting open is step one.

parabrave
01-01-2019, 06:33 PM

Remember the Gurus here said Guidry was going to be the next Jerry Rice.

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Ye, it?s always someone else down the road that will save you.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Fitz has been really good? What world have you been in?

Wohhooo he is the All-Time SEC QB rusher..how many wins did he have as a starter? He is 1-1 as a starter in bowl games and should be 0-2 but thanks to Nelson Adams got the W. He had a losing record against Kentucky! Kentucky!

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Our fans always over-hype our guys and it always leads to disappointment. Never fails.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 06:39 PM

And whop would be sec ready day 1

was21
01-01-2019, 06:40 PM
uh...how 'bout the corch calling a damn play and it's run...sounds like moorhead is passing the buck..**** it

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:41 PM
I listened to Matt on the radio and he said each play the Iowa defense would change the safety position right before the snap because they knew when we had to snap it. That has happened before this year when the defense knows you make your last off read with 5 seconds to go and thats on Moorhead. Like someone said earlier just get up there make your read and snap it.

They were switching up the reads the whole game. Would send, what we call our nickel guy, in on a delayed blitz every drive and Fitz had no idea what to do.

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Wohhooo he is the All-Time SEC QB rusher..how many wins did he have as a starter? He is 1-1 as a starter in bowl games and should be 0-2 but thanks to Nelson Adams got the W. He had a losing record against Kentucky! Kentucky!

If you are all-time anything in the SEC, it means you are great with at least that part of your game. This ain?t a soft league

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Many have forgot how mad we use to get at Mullen for running Dak and Fitz up the middle all the time as well.

I don?t believe Mullen wins 10 games with this group.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 06:45 PM
If you are all-time anything in the SEC, it means you are great with at least that part of your game. This ain?t a soft league

Doesn?t mean a thing if you don?t win games in my opinion.

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Where did Fitz rank last year on total offense on the SEC? I honestly don?t know but bet it was high.

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Doesn?t mean a thing if you don?t win games in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong then. Individual accomplishments happen all the time in every league in every sport while playing on poor, average, good and great teams.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Shrader definitely fits what Joe wants to do. The problem is he will be a freshman. Let's hope he plays like John Bond his freshman year because I doubt we get a legit grad transfer QB that can help and Key is a question mark at this point.

And I assume there is no hope for our other 4 star QB, Mayden, because he's unable to run Moorhead's offense also.

Really Clark?
Where did Fitz rank last year on total offense on the SEC? I honestly don?t know but bet it was high.

3rd in the league

BankerDog
Your opinion is wrong then. Individual accomplishments happen all the time in every league in every sport while playing on poor, average, good and great teams.

No yours is. Sure he?s in the record books, but he didn?t translate to wins. I remember wins, not career rushing yards. I remember a guy who went 1-2 against Kentucky, barely beat Miami Oh, barely beat UMass (twice), etc.

I want wins, not individual records. It?s a team sport right?

WinningIsRelentless
01-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Good/Great coaches adjust to the personnel you are given.

Ego coaches/bad coaches think their play calling is all that matters. It doesn?t matter if the players aren?t fit for the system.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Announcers said more than once he would have a chance to win three bowl games in a row at State. Guess that was him with a broken ankle instead of Key last year. Why do they constantly know so little about our team and seem to favor our opponents in recent years? Hatred of SEC, mixed up with UM, don'care, ......?

Really Clark?
01-01-2019, 07:02 PM
No yours is. Sure he?s in the record books, but he didn?t translate to wins. I remember wins, not career rushing yards. I remember a guy who went 1-2 against Kentucky, barely beat Miami Oh, barely beat UMass (twice), etc.

No I’m not. By any written historical measure I’m 100% correct on that. I didn’t say he was a great overall QB or anything like that. But will always be considered by records and history as an all time great rushing QB. That’s factual. Your opinion is irrelevant to that. That’s like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better passer than Dan Fouts because of wins.

cheewgumm
01-01-2019, 07:06 PM
He has been good. As someone noted above he was 3rd in the league in Total offense last year. I don?t know what else it takes to win.

Now you all think he stinks.

You?re mistaken.

deadheaddawg
01-01-2019, 07:19 PM
He has been good. As someone noted above he was 3rd in the league in Total offense last year. I don?t know what else it takes to win.

Now you all think he stinks.

You?re mistaken.

We lost the best QB coach in the country.

How do people not understand this?

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 07:26 PM
And I assume there is no hope for our other 4 star QB, Mayden, because he's unable to run Moorhead's offense also.

I don't have a lot of confidence in him starting but it's too soon to know. Shrader has the edge because he was recruited by Joe IMO.

No I’m not. By any written historical measure I’m 100% correct on that. I didn’t say he was a great overall QB or anything like that. But will always be considered by records and history as an all time great rushing QB. That’s factual. Your opinion is irrelevant to that. That’s like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better passer than Dan Fouts because of wins.

John Bond had a lot of records but also had two losing seasons. Fitz will be remembered sort of in the same way I think. I want someone that wins. The thing about Fitz is most of his records are due to his running ability and not throwing ability.

We lost the best QB coach in the country.

How do people not understand this?

If he's so good Fitz should have been able to pick up Joe's offense better and read a defense by now.

WinningIsRelentless
01-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Those two umass games you mentioned we scored a total of 80+ points.

WinningIsRelentless
01-01-2019, 07:40 PM

I don't have a lot of confidence in him starting but it's too soon to know. Shrader has the edge because he was recruited by Joe IMO.

John Bond had a lot of records but also had two losing seasons. Fitz will be remembered sort of in the same way I think. I want someone that wins. The thing about Fitz is most of his records are due to his running ability and not throwing ability.

If he's so good Fitz should have been able to pick up Joe's offense better and read a defense by now.

Todd come on man. Good coaches put players in the best position according to their skill set to succeed. Mullen did that well.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Todd come on man. Good coaches put players in the best position according to their skill set to succeed. Mullen did that well.

But if you are a QB you have to be able to throw and read defenses. There are basic things that players are expected to do at this level. And those are two of the most basic things for a QB to do. And again- what is a coach supposed to do with a QB that can do neither one well? Dan also beat who he was supposed to and got beat by the better teams on our schedule last year just like this year. Not to mention the little amount of progress that Nick showed under Dan as well.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2019, 08:16 PM

He DID call the plays, he called a specific RPO play. The QB has to make a read in every RPO play.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 11:36 PM
Joe didn?t run this offense at UConn. His first year they were ranked like 21 or 27th his second year the offensive scoring was 63rd nationally but they didn?t develop this offense until Fordham

So Moorhead changed his system? This actually is a good thing in my eyes. Hopefully this abomination of a season offensively will send him to the drawing board some this offseason

smootness
01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
We are a read offense but that gives us an advantage. But the QB has to put you in the right spot.

Incorrect. When everything you do is a RPO, then the defense learns how to set up their look to force you into what they want you in. We actually end up at a disadvantage. He may be making the 'correct' read, but the defense knows that's the read he's going to make based on the way they set it up. So they know before your offense does what you're going to do.

smootness
01-02-2019, 09:52 AM

We didn't have McSorley.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Incorrect. When everything you do is a RPO, then the defense learns how to set up their look to force you into what they want you in. We actually end up at a disadvantage. He may be making the 'correct' read, but the defense knows that's the read he's going to make based on the way they set it up. So they know before your offense does what you're going to do.

This is what I've been screaming all year. The RPO means that your college QB has to outthink a seasoned defensive coordinator on the other team for each play. Sheer talent will let you beat some teams but in the SEC this strategy will get you beat a lot by those with similar talent. It will not work in SEC football. It just won't.

msstate7
01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
This is what I've been screaming all year. The RPO means that your college QB has to outthink a seasoned defensive coordinator on the other team for each play. Sheer talent will let you beat some teams but in the SEC this strategy will get you beat a lot by those with similar talent. It will not work in SEC football. It just won't.

So pretty much, we can move the ball against teams with lesser talent. This should work out well in the sec west

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
There is a reason that Ohio State and Clemson and others have scaled back on the RPO. They were being forced into disguised looks by good DCs and making errors and turnovers.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day said they took out the RPO because the defense was dictating their play call with looks. I think RPO was hot two years ago and we are late to the party.
Not sure what that means for the future but we will need adjustments.

WinningIsRelentless
01-02-2019, 10:08 AM
But if you are a QB you have to be able to throw and read defenses. There are basic things that players are expected to do at this level. And those are two of the most basic things for a QB to do. And again- what is a coach supposed to do with a QB that can do neither one well? Dan also beat who he was supposed to and got beat by the better teams on our schedule last year just like this year. Not to mention the little amount of progress that Nick showed under Dan as well.

He had to read defenses under Mullen. He can read defenses on a basic level. What y?all forget is their isn?t a specific route called on these rpos either so the wr?s have options depending on what the d does at the snap. So if the dc does a good job at hiding what he is running it takes the qb even longer to process.

Moorehead doesn?t have a blue color mentality that I?m just going to line up and run what I want on you. He tries to play chess with the dc and it didn?t work well this year.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 10:16 AM
There is a reason that Ohio State and Clemson and others have scaled back on the RPO. They were being forced into disguised looks by good DCs and making errors and turnovers.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day said they took out the RPO because the defense was dictating their play call with looks. I think RPO was hot two years ago and we are late to the party.
Not sure what that means for the future but we will need adjustments.

It means we will be looking for a new coach in about two seasons. Cohen fumbled the ball bigtime trying to be super smart. If Lemonis doesn't work out then Cohen will beon the hotseat.

Bass Chaser
01-02-2019, 10:20 AM

This is exactly why we didn't score on the goal line yesterday. They dictated for Fitz's read to keep which is what Joe basically said in the press conference. As an OC, you have to know this and make adjustments which I don't remember seeing all year.

Dawgology
01-02-2019, 10:21 AM
This is exactly why we didn't score on the goal line yesterday. They dictated for Fitz's read to keep which is what Joe basically said in the press conference. As an OC, you have to know this and make adjustments which I don't remember seeing.

At all...the entire season.

What is the definition of insanity?

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2019, 10:36 AM
West Coast passing concepts and Read option zone looks are what the RPO we are running is built on. We need to make more designed plays of both and eliminate the reads. I cannot understate how hard it was to watch this offense at points this season. It was Croom level.

MarketingBully
01-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Well Nicky Fitz can?t read a defense worth a shit and he was running the show out there. A lot of how successful this offense will be depends on the QB and their ability to read a defense pre and post snap. That?s why it takes a little time to get the hang of this offense but once QBs do it can really hum. Nick Fitzgerald imo was never going to be good at running this offense because not only is he not a passer but he never developed the IT factor or any of the intangibles needed to run this offense. The only reason he beat KT our was because he was a fifth year senior and he was the defacto starter. What kind of message would that send to bench a fifth year starter at the most important position on the field? Coach Moorhead was in a bind from the start.

parabrave
01-02-2019, 11:24 AM

This all day. Even Wyatt said this on Iowas' goaline stand. They just wait til we make the last read then change the safetys' position forcing Fitz to make the wrong decision

parabrave
01-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Well Nicky Fitz can?t read a defense worth a shit and he was running the show out there. A lot of how successful this offense will be depends on the QB and their ability to read a defense pre and post snap. That?s why it takes a little time to get the hang of this offense but once QBs do it can really hum. Nick Fitzgerald imo was never going to be good at running this offense because not only is he not a passer but he never developed the IT factor or any of the intangibles needed to run this offense. The only reason he beat KT our was because he was a fifth year senior and he was the defacto starter. What kind of message would that send to bench a fifth year starter at the most important position on the field? Coach Moorhead was in a bind from the start.

Dabo and Kirby agree with you.**

tcdog70
01-02-2019, 12:38 PM

winner winner chicken dinner---how 17ing easy would that have been.

tcdog70
01-02-2019, 12:44 PM
In the red zone--just run a called play and do it quickly. The running the clock down to 5 seconds, let's the defense have the last shift. why not just go up to the line and pitch the ball to Kylin and let him score and do it quickly. trying to get a yard with your QB five yards deep is beyond stupid, the ends crash down and you are toast.