PDA

View Full Version : Jet sweep. MIA since Auburn

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 04:36 PM
We gashed Auburn with the jet sweep, but have not used it since. Of all the head scratching calls we made on the Offensive side of the ball (and there were many made all season), this is the one I cannot wrap my head around.

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Jet Sweep, quick screens, crossing patterns, slants. This is one of the things that worries me most about JM. We didn't do the things we were good at enough.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Joe couldn't even figure out how to help eiland vs Allen in Kentucky game. Patience my friends... genius at work

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Jet Sweep, quick screens, crossing patterns, slants.

Good point, but three of those require completing a forward pass.

BuckyIsAB****
01-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Moorhead cant figure out how to hand the ball off. The absence of any key and bubble screens is mind blowing to me

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Or catching the forward pass.

DownwardDawg
01-01-2019, 04:50 PM
This drives me crazy more than anything. That was the best offense we’ve ran this year against SEC defenses and it disappeared since.

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 04:51 PM

We got a screen picked off today and Fitz threw another one 3 yards over Kylin's head. Guys, do y'all really think this game is as easy as just running more jet sweeps, screens, and slants?

Joe, we aren't running enough quick slants and screens. Well shit guys my fault. Wish someone had told me earlier that I just needed to run more slants and quick screens. Ok guys. Everyone run slants on 1.

Clarion Ledger headline: Slants bring MSU unprecedented 120 point victory

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 04:56 PM
We got a screen picked off today and Fitz threw another one 3 yards over Kylin's head. Guys, do y'all really think this game is as easy as just running more jet sweeps, screens, and slants?

Joe, we aren't running enough quick slants and screens. Well shit guys my fault. Wish someone had told me earlier that I just needed to run more slants and quick screens. Ok guys. Everyone run slants on 1.

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say we can do things that I've seen us do well in the past. Mullen lived off the screen with Fitz last year. Hell that's about the only pass he threw, but all of a sudden we can't do it anymore?

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Uhhh Fitz threw a pick on a screen so yeah, it was still in the playbook.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say we can do things that I've seen us do well in the past. Mullen lived off the screen with Fitz last year. Hell that's about the only pass he threw, but all of a sudden we can't do it anymore?

Met will go to the far ends of the earth to not let .0000001% of the blame go toward the delicate genius that is Moorhead

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 04:59 PM

What the hell are you talking about? We opened the game with a WR screen. Threw a pick on one, overthrew Kylin on another. Had at least 2 more than I can remember. So that's 5 out of 32. So at least 15% of our passes today were screens.

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Met will go to the far ends of the earth to not let .0000001% of the blame go toward the delicate genius that is Moorhead

Incorrect. He gets blame. But not for the stuff y'all think. Playcalling was fine. We played like shit and scored 22. Should have been more but our players didn't execute. What the hell should we do to teach Guidry to catch a ball that hits him in the freaking dead center of his body? Or what the hell else do you want Joe to do to teach Fitz to not overthrow Hill by 5 feet on a screen?

He should get blame for not going for it on 4th and 1 from the 1. He should get blame for game managemt before the half. Those are things I'm not happy about. But if you are mad at playcalling you didn't watch the game.

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 05:05 PM
What the hell are you talking about? We opened the game with a WR screen. Threw a pick on one, overthrew Kylin on another. Had at least 2 more than I can remember. So that's 5 out of 32. So at least 15% of our passes today were screens.

We're not talking about the same types of screens. Are you talking about the screen to Thomas that was tipped and picked and Thomas was 5 feet away from Fitz?

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:06 PM
We're not talking about the same types of screens. Are you talking about the screen to Thomas that was tipped and picked and Thomas was 5 feet away from Fitz?

What the hell screens are you talking about? We got WR screens and RB screens. Really not much else you can do. A screen is a type of play design and we ran that type of play design on at least 5 of our 32 passes today.

Lance Harbor
01-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Yes, because the QB making horrible reads has nothing to do with any of this.

Clarion Ledger headline: Slants bring MSU unprecedented 120 point victory

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Yes, because the QB making horrible reads has nothing to do with any of this.

That's my point exactly. The QB is the reason for all of this.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 05:08 PM

We had 0 out of 32 jet sweeps. We did get a heavy dose of a 6’5” 240 QB in the pistol with the the ball inside the five. Play calling and poor execution had EVERYTHING to do with this loss.

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:10 PM
We had 0 out of 32 jet sweeps. We did get a heavy dose of a 6’5” 240 QB in the pistol with the the ball inside the five. Play calling and poor execution had EVERYTHING to do with this loss.

Poor execution really was it. There weren't any play calls where I was like Jesus this is stupid. The 3rd and 7 where Fitz got tackled was a pass first option that he declined and ran with. Few other plays that blew up were options where Fitz chose wrong. Not real sure I can point to a play where in a particular situation I was upset with the play call

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 05:11 PM
What the hell screens are you talking about? We got WR screens and RB screens. Really not much else you can do. A screen is a type of play design and we ran that type of play design on at least 5 of our 32 passes today.

How many bubble screens to the WRs did you see today one? Guidry was looking great earlier in the season running crossing routes, how many of those did you see today none?

MetEdDawg
01-01-2019, 05:13 PM
How many bubble screens to the WRs did you see today one? Guidry was looking great earlier in the season running crossing routes, how many of those did you see today none?

Actually they happened a bunch. Fitz justbdidnt throw them. Just because a catch doesn't happen doesn't mean what you are asking for isn't happening.

That's the difference here. You think that stuff isn't happening. It is but Fitz can't read defenses and can't throw the ball well.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Poor execution really was it. There weren't any play calls where I was like Jesus this is stupid. The 3rd and 7 where Fitz got tackled was a pass first option that he declined and ran with. Few other plays that blew up were options where Fitz chose wrong. Not real sure I can point to a play where in a particular situation I was upset with the play call

We have Nick, and Hill, and/or A-Train inside the two and we line up in the pistol. Then on 3rd down go four wide. Not stupid?

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Actually they happened a bunch. Fitz justbdidnt throw them. Just because a catch doesn't happen doesn't mean what you are asking for isn't happening.

That's the difference here. You think that stuff isn't happening. It is but Fitz can't read defenses and can't throw the ball well.

So your saying on a predetermined bubble screen to the WR, a ball that comes out of the QBs hands as soon as he gets it, Fitz was making the wrong reads?

RiverCityDawg
01-02-2019, 07:38 AM
We gashed Auburn with the jet sweep, but have not used it since. Of all the head scratching calls we made on the Offensive side of the ball (and there were many made all season), this is the one I cannot wrap my head around.

I don't understand this either. Should have worked well against Iowa as opposed to smashing it straight ahead at the strength of their defense. Make them run side to side a little, especially after plodding straight ahead wasn't working consistently. Maybe after a few jet sweeps to Hill the middle starts to open up. That run scheme worked against Auburn and they completely trashed it afterwards.

RiverCityDawg
01-02-2019, 07:43 AM
So your saying on a predetermined bubble screen to the WR, a ball that comes out of the QBs hands as soon as he gets it, Fitz was making the wrong reads?

Fitz can't execute the bubble screen throw. He's thrown it several times to the RB and every time except about once he's thrown it behind them so that they have to turn their body and lose all momentum. It never works. He's a thrower, not a passer, and screens were absolutely not the answer with this QB. We ran several this year of every kind and they were a miserable failure almost every time.

MrKotter
01-02-2019, 08:09 AM

Yes they do. This game has brought back out all the overly emotional village idiots.

StateDawg44
01-02-2019, 08:19 AM
It was essentially the Kentucky game all over again. Minus the rain (which is not an excuse at all for those who use that as a reason).

Keeping their scoring drives alive with dumb penalties is why we got beat. Players beat themselves. Fitz couldn't pass.....again, and when he did throw a few good passes, the receivers dropped them. We beat ourselves.

cheewgumm
01-02-2019, 10:48 AM
It?s not the QBs fault that he alone carries it almost as much as all the RBs on the roster combined.

That was/ is / and has been dumb all year and it?s Moorheads fault.

yjnkdawg
01-02-2019, 11:29 AM
It?s not the QBs fault that he alone carries it almost as much as all the RBs on the roster combined.

That was/ is / and has been dumb all year and it?s Moorheads fault.

JoeMo runs a RPO offense where the quarterback is supposed to read the defense, and make his play call decision based upon that. Our quarterback loved to carry the ball too. Have you considered that scenario?

maroonmania
01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Jet sweep would have almost certainly scored the TD when we had first and goal at the one on any of the 3 tries. Iowa had watched enough film on us to know that Fitz up the middle is about 95% of our play calls inside the 5 so they were ready. I blame Moorhead for not going wide on one of those plays with a direct play call since he should know that every RPO for Fitz inside the 5 is a Fitz up the gut run.