PDA

View Full Version : Want to See A Pretty Embarrassing Stat About Year 1 of Moorhead?

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:24 PM
In year 1 under Moorhead in which Moorhead was taking Mullen's players, MSU finished 69 in total offense. In Year 1 of Mullen, with Tyson Lee & taking over Croom's players, MSU finished 69th in total offense.

https://i.imgur.com/djsmwdL.jpg

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Comparable offensive talent in both of those years.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Interesting you say that. I actually think that Tyson Lee was a significantly better passer than Fitz. Now, he obviously couldn't do many of the other things that Fitz does or was as good of a football player, but he was absolutely more accurate & threw a more catchable ball

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Yep. I believe you and I had already noted that. Mullen did not leave us stocked on offense. I think that played a big part in why he left.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Our OL was the same or better.
Our WRs definitely were...Leon Berry/Chris Smith/Clark would run circles on the clowns we trotted out there today.
TE?s in Marcus Green was a lot better.
There is a case for Bobbie/Ducre over Williams/Hill.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Our OL was the same or better.
Our WRs definitely were...Leon Berry/Chris Smith/Clark would run circles on the clowns we trotted out there today.
TE?s in Marcus Green was a lot better.
There is a case for Bobbie/Ducre over Williams/Hill.

Yeah, good points. Still though.

Perhaps that is also a major indictment on Don. In 10 years of bowl games, he guy never increased our talent level on offense, outside of a 3 star QB turning into the best player in school history

Essentially, all he did was get guys to fit his system & his system alone.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Returned pretty much everyone on offense and defense. Here's 2017 to 2018:

Total offense: 46th to 69th
Scoring offense: 41st to 65th

Total def: 10th to 1st
Scoring def: 26th to 1st

If Moorhead had a positive like shoop, we'd be at 10 wins

thf24
01-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Interesting you say that. I actually think that Tyson Lee was a significantly better passer than Fitz. Now, he obviously couldn't do many of the other things that Fitz does or was as good of a football player, but he was absolutely more accurate & threw a more catchable ball

Tyson was also a pretty smart player; not saying Fitz is a dunce but I think Tyson could have picked up Moorhead's offense faster as the reads go. I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that Tyson could have run it in its purest form this year better than Fitz did.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Neither knew how to pitch to the RB on the goal line to win a big game.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Returned pretty much everyone on offense and defense. Here's 2017 to 2018:

Total offense: 46th to 69th
Scoring offense: 41st to 65th

Total def: 10th to 1st
Scoring def: 26th to 1st

If Moorhead had a positive like shoop, we'd be at 10 wins

You still have to account for the coaching & scheme change.

We essentially did the opposite of what Ole Miss is doing by going to Rich Rod.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Tyson was also a pretty smart player; not saying Fitz is a dunce but I think Tyson could have picked up Moorhead's offense faster as the reads go. I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that Tyson could have run it in its purest form this year better than Fitz did.

I think there is an argument that MSU would've been better this year with Tyson Lee at QB rather than Fitz. It would've been a completely different looking offense, but the RBs would've certainly got the ball more & the passing game would've seen a pretty good uptick

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Yep. I believe you and I had already noted that. Mullen did not leave us stocked on offense. I think that played a big part in why he left.

Remember - Mullen had built everything up to '14 and '15 as his ticket out. Then Richt snaked the Miami job out from under him.

Quaoarsking
01-01-2019, 04:38 PM
No ranks are finalized yet, right? Not every team is finished with their season. And those stats don't appear to be updated through today.

I'm not saying that to defend Moorhead - we might drop lower after today. I'm just saying that we need to hold off until the final numbers are available.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:44 PM
The thing I worried most about today was JoMo thinking he had fixed the offenses problems during bowl prep.

I was right. I feared we'd see the same crap we saw early in the year because he had 4 weeks to fix it

Sacrifice
01-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Tyson Lee would've completed 50% of his passes with this group of recievers. I don't see any QB in the future completing over 60% with this group of recievers, no matter how good he is.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Tyson Lee would've completed 50% of his passes with this group of recievers. I don't see any QB in the future completing over 60% with this group of recievers, no matter how good he is.

That's why we need new WRs. I'm hopeful that that 2020 group will be good

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:49 PM
That's why we need new WRs. I'm hopeful that that 2020 group will be good

Cool. Who is he bringing in that's better?

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Tyson Lee three 4 TDS to 14 INTs his SR year. He wasn’t better.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:56 PM

They're just trying to pin 100% of this on fitz. Genius can't be blamed

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Cool. Who is he bringing in that's better?

I don't know, but I do know that I watch numerous teams have good WRs that recruit at a far lower level than us & those WRs were 3 stars.

I'm not asking to be Bama or OM at WR right now. We just need some reliable guys that can catch.

What we really need is 1 guy to step up & be an alpha & lead that group. Since DeRunnya left, we haven't had an alpha at WR.

That position has been full of crappy personalities, problem players that are poor leaders & don't push anyone

msstate7
01-01-2019, 04:59 PM
I don't know, but I do know that I watch numerous teams have good WRs that recruit at a far lower level than us & those WRs were 3 stars.

I'm not asking to be Bama or OM at WR right now. We just need some reliable guys that can catch.

What we really need is 1 guy to step up & be an alpha & lead that group. Since DeRunnya left, we haven't had an alpha at WR.

That position has been full of crappy personalities, problem players that are poor leaders & don't push anyone

Fred Ross

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Most of this board predicted big things for Whop and Guidry. Now calling for a fresh set. This team overall was trying to play in an O that they were not recruited for. Good coachs try to adapt the scheme for the talent available, not force it the other way. It will take more than one good recruiting class of SEC level O players to run this offense.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Memphis has had better WRs then us the past six years. What we look for in WRs I have no idea.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 05:01 PM
No ranks are finalized yet, right? Not every team is finished with their season. And those stats don't appear to be updated through today.

I'm not saying that to defend Moorhead - we might drop lower after today. I'm just saying that we need to hold off until the final numbers are available.
On a day we got 340 yards I doubt we are moving up the ladder....so we will be 69yh or worse....

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Hard to see over the line at 5'7". Hit that Randy Newman song.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 05:02 PM
We let Jaylen Smith out of State to go to Louisville and their best WR today was from Lake Cormant, MS.

We also let the Floyd kid go from Gulfport and a 1st rounder in last year?s draft that would have crawled to Starkville.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Fred Ross

Eh. Dropped too many passes.

He was a solid B WR not a lead actor. Great career numbers, but I never thought he was a guy that defenses feared.

However, hell yeah, I'd take a bunch of Fred Ross types right now

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Most WR's are prima donnas at all levels.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 05:04 PM
We let Jaylen Smith out of State to go to Louisville and their best WR today was from Lake Cormant, MS.

We also let the Floyd kid go from Gulfport and a 1st rounder in last year?s draft that would have crawled to Starkville.

Yup. You have to out recruit other teams for the LSU & Bama type WRs, but we could've been much much better at WR had we just evaluated better. There are plenty of pretty good WRs out there that would love to come to MSU, but we've managed to miss almost all of them

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 05:04 PM
They're just trying to pin 100% of this on fitz. Genius can't be blamed

Yep. Just the same dude who didn't call timeout before the half and at least try a Hail Mary. And then had to burn a timeout after a turnover. Those two things have nothing to do w a bad call or dropped pass just flat out shitty coaching. Awful. I could go on by why bother. Those defenders won't change their minds and neither will I. If you can't see we regressed I can't help you. And this crap about doesn't have his players is ultra bs. Hell Mullen doesn't have his at fla and didn't stop him from winning 10 games.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Most WR's are prima donnas at all levels.

Agree, but we've gotten a bad batch lately.

BankerDog
01-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Yep. Just the same dude who didn't call timeout before the half and at least try a Hail Mary. And then had to burn a timeout after a turnover. Those two things have nothing to do w a bad call or dropped pass just flat out shitty coaching. Awful. I could go on by why bother. Those defenders won't change their minds and neither will I. If you can't see we regressed I can't help you. And this crap about doesn't have his players is ultra bs. Hell Mullen doesn't have his at fla and didn't stop him from winning 10 games.

Florida?s recruiting average was higher than ours has been. Who did that? Oh yeah Mullen...how many times did Mullen go get a grad transfer here? He sure as hell did it at Florida with Jefferson.

IMissJack
01-01-2019, 05:31 PM
You still have to account for the coaching & scheme change.

We essentially did the opposite of what Ole Miss is doing by going to Rich Rod.

Which makes me wonder about the future. MS produces more running QBs than passing, and more rbs than receivers. This means JoMo will need to recruit a lot of out of state talent for his offense.

Homedawg
01-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Florida?s recruiting average was higher than ours has been. Who did that? Oh yeah Mullen...how many times did Mullen go get a grad transfer here? He sure as hell did it at Florida with Jefferson.

We are never going to recruit at an elite level. Never. Not consistently. Top 20 would be great. Moorhead underperformed. His offense did. That's a fact. Blame whoever you want, but he's in charge and they weren't good and we should have gone 11-2.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 07:15 PM
We are never going to recruit at an elite level. Never. Not consistently. Top 20 would be great. Moorhead underperformed. His offense did. That's a fact. Blame whoever you want, but he's in charge and they weren't good and we should have gone 11-2.
It's all Mullen and fitz's fault!!!!!

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Which makes me wonder about the future. MS produces more running QBs than passing, and more rbs than receivers. This means JoMo will need to recruit a lot of out of state talent for his offense.

It seems to me that when we run a pro/drop back scheme the state produced dual threat guys like Omarr Conner. When we run a spread offense that requires a dual threat QB the state produces Tyler Russell and Gardner Minchew.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Agree, but we've gotten a bad batch lately.

Lately, who was our last All SEC receiver, Ross maybe. I also fear highly rated RB's wanting to play in this "offense".

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 07:35 PM

yes, but it's the only way to win big. I feel pretty good about Moorhead going out of state to get QBs. I think we are a big enough brand now to do that & land a 4 star most years. I worry about the WRs though because the blue bloods will recruit 3-4 of them while they only recruit one QB

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Lately, who was our last All SEC receiver, Ross maybe. I also fear highly rated RB's wanting to play in this "offense".

I think the running portion of the offense could improve by our QB simply being in the system longer &/or not believing he's the best RB on the field

BuckyIsAB****
01-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Mullen did what his kids could do, Moorhead did what he wanted to do. Thats your difference

Commercecomet24
01-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Mullen did what his kids could do, Moorhead did what he wanted to do. Thats your difference

Not all the time, remember Tyler Russell, Brandon Holloway, Perkins etc. he tried to make them into something they weren't